http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 12:04:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need casual games suggestions  (Read 2581 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »

For reasons you won't give a toss about, I can really only play games at the weekends these days.  My favourite genres have always been strategy, simulation and RPG but they don't really fit the bill now.  I'd hate to start a game of, say, Space Empires 5 and have a week between sessions; I won't have a clue what I'm doing after a week and I wouldn't really want to play like that.

So I've reluctantly decided to become a casual gamer.  I'm not talking bloody Tetris.  I still want something preferably modern and with decent production values and all that stuff, but I'm out of my depth here.  For me, casual gaming has always been what consoles are for.

Any recommendations for something I can play for a couple of hours on the weekends are gratefully received!  Thanks in advance, guys.

Edited to add: They don't have to be casual games per se, just games that won't suffer for only being played once a week.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:41:46 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

Oasis

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 03:08:50 AM »

Puzzle Quest?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:10:16 AM »

I second Puzzle Quest.  How about the Sam and Max remakes? Lego Star Wars and Indiana Jones fare also available for the PC. 

Also consider buying a 360 or PS3 and get Civilization Revolutions.  You can complete a game in 2-3 hours.  There is a DS version too, but I don't have experience with it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:13:31 AM by KC » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:44:51 AM »

Hinterland is supposed to come out soon and might fit what you're looking for.  Each game is supposed to be fairly short, but with lots of replayability.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:47:03 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »

No specific recommendations but check Jay is Games, all they do is list and review casual games.  On the weekends Giveaway of the Day has free games that usually fall into the casual category.  They're not all winners but I've picked up a few good ones from time to time.

(HBZ)
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, this is great stuff.  I don't normally play puzzle games but if Puzzle Quest really is that good I'll have to take a look.  That Hinterland looks interesting too, and Sam and Max is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Quote from: KC on July 20, 2008, 02:10:16 AM

Also consider buying a 360 or PS3 and get Civilization Revolutions.

If only!  I've been angling for a 360 for a while now, but because we already have a Wii I'm told we "don't need another console."  Never mind that I never play on it and want to sell it... slywink

Steam profile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2008, 09:15:43 AM

Quote from: KC on July 20, 2008, 02:10:16 AM

Also consider buying a 360 or PS3 and get Civilization Revolutions.

If only!  I've been angling for a 360 for a while now, but because we already have a Wii I'm told we "don't need another console."  Never mind that I never play on it and want to sell it... slywink

I was going to recommend the DS version.  Half the price for the game; a third the price for the system.  Just yesterday I went out to the back patio to beat the heat, sat back in a comfy chair, cracked opened up a summer lager, and played through a game start to finish.  "Gandhi has won a domination victory!" (by nuking Madrid for the finishing move).
KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 20, 2008, 09:15:43 AM

I don't normally play puzzle games but if Puzzle Quest really is that good I'll have to take a look.

It really is that good.  I just noticed in the Steals and Deals forum that the PC version is on sale on Steam for $9.99 this weekend.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

Casual gamer?  BURN HIM!

Would you be interested web games like Desktop tower Defense or free games like N?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 05:20:57 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on July 20, 2008, 02:37:37 PM

Casual gamer?  BURN HIM!

Heh.  I know, I know.  It's gut-wrenching not being able to play any of my beloved strategy games, but there's just no point for the time being.  I have played N in the past, fun little game isn't it?

KC, thanks again for the Sam and Max idea - it just hadn't occurred to me but earlier today I downloaded ep101.  I couldn't resist the $9 price tag and the chance to see those two fools in action once again!  It helps that my girlfriend is into adventure games too so she's also itching to give it a try.  Come to think of it, adventure games in general may see me through the coming dark months.  I might have to start another thread...

Steam profile
JCAnejo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 03:26:34 AM »

Definitely give Puzzle Quest a go and Fairway Golf which was by far a and away the best new solitaire game I've played.I also find IVAN a good choice when needing a quick fix.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »

Quote from: JCAnejo on July 21, 2008, 03:26:34 AM

Definitely give Puzzle Quest a go and Fairway Golf which was by far a and away the best new solitaire game I've played.I also find IVAN a good choice when needing a quick fix.

I agree that both Puzzle Quest and Fairway Solitaire are excellent casual games for the PC.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:49:56 AM »

Speaking of adventure games, you could check out the free comedy adventure "Ben There, Dan That!" over at Zombie Cow Studios (although you can feel free to donate smile ).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:26 AM »

As well as another free one I found out about on usenet - "Dirty Split" from Dreamagination Entertainment.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 06:28:49 AM »

Cool, good finds guys.  Thanks!

Steam profile
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »

I always think that FPS make for good casual games... I can jump in and play a few rounds of COD4 multiplayer in under an hour and it's pretty fun.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »

Heh.  I was wondering when someone would mention shooters; I thought of it moments after starting the thread and I've only recently got into them as well.  I think it won't be long before I get Bioshock. smile

Steam profile
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:14 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 22, 2008, 06:10:39 PM

Heh.  I was wondering when someone would mention shooters; I thought of it moments after starting the thread and I've only recently got into them as well.  I think it won't be long before I get Bioshock. smile

Absolutely get Bioshock.  I'm not even a huge fan of shooters, but Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. smile
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

Conquest  is by far and away the casual game I play the most.  It's Risk.  There are tons of maps to d/l (Middle Earth, different regions on Earth, etc.)

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 12:57:55 AM »

Quote from: Redfive on August 03, 2008, 02:39:38 PM

Conquest  is by far and away the casual game I play the most.  It's Risk.  There are tons of maps to d/l (Middle Earth, different regions on Earth, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestion on Conquest.  I've been playing it quite a bit today.  smile

I'd also like to throw another suggestion for any adventure fans to check out "Ben There, Dan That!".  It's a lot of fun with clever dialog just like the old-school Lucasarts adventure games (except for where they reference those games, of course).  Totally worth the donation. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:15 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on August 03, 2008, 01:07:14 PM

Absolutely get Bioshock.  I'm not even a huge fan of shooters, but Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. smile

I've seen many comments like that one.  I'm very, very curious to see what it's like now, but I did get Puzzle Quest thanks to this thread and I'm finding it difficult to put down. smile

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 04, 2008, 12:57:55 AM

Quote from: Redfive on August 03, 2008, 02:39:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on Conquest.  I've been playing it quite a bit today.  smile

I'd also like to throw another suggestion for any adventure fans to check out "Ben There, Dan That!".  It's a lot of fun with clever dialog just like the old-school Lucasarts adventure games (except for where they reference those games, of course).  Totally worth the donation. 

If you like Risk then http://www.conquerclub.com/ is excellent.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

Tals! The first rule about Conquer Club is that you don't talk about Conquer Club!  Tongue

Seriously though, Bioshock is a great game, and too bad that you didn't get it last weekend because Steam had it for only $14.99. I played it and resold it, but I almost rebought it for that price! You might find a used copy on Amazon, and I think that you can still use it, regardless of the copy protection scheme (the person that bought mine did not complain).

Puzzle Quest is a casual game, but be forewarned, if you want something that you can play a little then put down, it might be deceptive on this point. You literally get sucked into those puzzles, and hours later you say "Heck, I only wanted to play a few puzzles, how is it night now? Oh well, just two puzzles left until I level up..." Those puzzles can take anywhere from 5min to almost half an hour, when you get the heavier enemies with lots of life and nasty skills (particularly if you lose the battle and you have to play them again to beat them). The game is great though, so I would recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of puzzle. They say there is a space version in the works, with an interesting hexagonal looking board.

I am following Hinterland, because of this thread, and it looks promising. I might also suggest Mount&Blade, by Taleworlds. It is still technically in Beta, but will be released soon and you can pre-order and instantly play a pretty near finished game (the game is fully playable, but they keep adding new things you can do). You play it at your own pace, and it has this great medieval combat engine. Give the demo a shot.

Bael
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »

Oh! And if you like Casual RPG that you can pick up and just play away without worrying about what you were doing and what is going on, you might look into Depths of Peril. It is a Diablo clone, but there is no real story to speak of, and you just basically bash at enemies and fight against rival factions in town at your own leisure.

Another good game like that is Fate, which is a graphically updated Rogue-like. No story here, just jump in and kill everything that moves. You level up, grab loot, rinse, repeat. A bit simplistic, but fun none-the-less.

If you like space based games, there is a great bit of casual solitaire style gaming that you can do in an hour or two (great from lunch breaks and work breaks) called Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space. The demo is pretty robust, and the production values are pretty high. Again, it is sort of like solitaire, you travel around equipping your ship and gaining items that will increase your score. The combat is sort of like a twitch free Star Control. It is hard to explains, so just download the demo to see.

Lastly, there is FastCrawl, which is an extremely simple, yet addictive dungeon crawler. It is very casual, can be played on a lunch break, no story, easy on the system specs, and has Disciples 2 style combat (which is pretty darn fun). There is also a free trial, so play around a bit and see what you think.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »

Cool, thanks for these extra recommendations!  No worries about Bioshock; I won't install Steam but it's cheap here in the UK and I'd rather have a box anyway.  I can't wait to try it, I don't think I've heard a bad word about it (besides the odious implementation of DRM).

Mount & Blade and Depths of Peril I've played, and agree that they're both fantastic games.  I'm going to look at Fate though, it sounds good.  Return to Infinite Space sounds familiar, I'm sure there was another game in that series years ago...?  I'll definitely check out FastCrawl too, anything even remotely similar to Disciples 2 must be good!  icon_biggrin

Steam profile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »

Well, the Weird Worlds has been out a good while, but the original was called Strange Worlds in Infinite Space.

For some free fun, try Battle for Wesnoth. Turned based fun.

I really like Matrix Games Advanced Tactics, but I am not so sure how casual it is. With the random maps set on small, you might be able to finish some wars during a weekend. Of course, leaving it for a week would not be too awful, as it is a hex based wargame like Empire. Probably too much of a time suck for you though.

Also, if you LOVE music, then you should try Audiosurf (AFAIK, only available on Steam, so you would have to change your mind on that). It kills two birds with one stone, you get to hear the music you love and have a little arcadey fun with it.

Also, the Introversion game Defcon is great, especially if you like quick mutiplay. Matches are under an hour or so and are great and simple fun. If you know Darwinia (another Introversion game) they plan to have a multiplayer version of this coming in September called Multiwinia. Should also be quick hour or so matches with lots of simple killing fun. Not super strategic, but old-school goodness.

Might I also suggest a Gametap account? You have literally hundreds of games from all eras that you could chose from for around $10 a month. Lots of those older arcade games tend to be pretty quick playing and fun. You also have some new games and you can pick the ones that seem the most apt to give you that "fix" without becoming too obnoxious. I canceled mine account a LONG time ago, but with recent activity and additions, I am kicking around restarting it.

Bael
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »

With my power of necromancy, I summon thee!

Actually, I resurrected this thread to give the general FYI that Hinterland will be going gold and be available via Steam early this coming week!

Bael
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 07:06:30 PM »

Currently playing and enjoying a lot Multiwinia which you can get off steam for a steal. Great strategy action and games last 10 minutes.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: