http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 01:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need an action rpg recommendation for Xbox  (Read 3649 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:19:34 AM »

Doesn't have to be deep, but i'd prefer a decent story but its not really a necessity.  Nothing epic .... just something fun.
What should i consider?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:40:22 AM »

1. Fable-for all its problems it has all sorts of good things going for it and still has a pretty big following despite the letdown from the hype machine. I am about to restart it cause I never finished it, but still-go for it.
2. Sudeki-cheap, easy, kind of bland, but decent story and decent action rpg mechanics.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:21:47 AM »

Sudeki wasn't very well received, but I liked it.  Until I got stuck, anyway.  

Jade Empire?  Though it seems to be more story and RPG than action sometimes, I thought it was pretty fun.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 02:32:39 AM »

If you do go for Fable, wait for the updated version called The Lost Chapters.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 02:37:24 AM »

That will only be on PC though-the Lost Chapters-so be aware of that if you are looking only for XBox stuff. I reacquired the original and plan to beat it and then run through it again evil when the Lost Chapters comes out.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 03:03:29 AM »

Yes, Fable is fun, and will be even more fun for you - unless you followed it's hype from when it was being born as "Project Ego" - anyone who did that was at least moderately disappointed (me included).

Arx Fatalis - if you like caves and dungeons...  It was a poor substitute for post-Morrowind love, but I still enjoyed it immensely.  

Morrowind - oops, that's EPIC, sorry... :twisted:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 03:16:22 AM »

A week or two ago, Lionhead announced that The Lost Chapters will also be released on the XBox, and will go directly into the Platinum Hits line for $20.  I think Jade Empire is by far the best of the action-RPGs, but it is definitely epic.  I'll second the recommendation for Sudeki - it's pretty simple, and has   a great art style as well.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:48:46 AM »

There is also X-Men Legends, Dark Alliance, and Champions of Norrath.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 04:03:35 AM »

Hmm, i was thinking Fable so that might be the ticket.  I was looking to pick something up tomorrow and thats why i asked.  I also was reading where Xmen Legends was very cool as well.  I considered Dark Alliance but i just could never get into any D&D style games.
I had no idea what Fable was until a few weeks back so the hype machine means nothing to me.  That could be my pick.
Anything else i'm missing?

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 06:48:00 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
That will only be on PC though-the Lost Chapters-so be aware of that if you are looking only for XBox stuff. I reacquired the original and plan to beat it and then run through it again evil when the Lost Chapters comes out.

The Lost Chapters is also coming to the Xbox in a Platinum Hits edition, so you can play it on the Xbox or the PC.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 06:49:41 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"

The Lost Chapters is also coming to the Xbox in a Platinum Hits edition, so you can play it on the Xbox or the PC.

I stand corrected, I forgot it would be straight to GH!
Cyrano
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »

I know this is very much a minority opinion, but I love The Bard's Tale. The voice acting, story and humor are excellent. It's certainly not deep. If you're looking for mindless action and some laughs, it's an excellent game. It's pretty cheap now, too.

Frankly, and I know this is a minority opinion as well, the combat is more interesting than Jade Empire. In JE, you just jump over the bad guy and then hit him. Over and over. That's it. Bard's Tale at least has different kinds of melee and ranged weapons to try, and cool spells to cast.

X-men Legends is lots of fun too, and I don't even like comic book stuff very much.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 02:52:51 PM »

X-Men Legends, by far.  Great game.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:39:16 PM »

If you're talking a straight Action RPG I think Fable is your ticket.  Jade Empire still has more strategy to it in the fighting than Fable does and honestly Fable has an easier control scheme.

I'm not a big fan of Fable, but I will probably pick up the PC version just to see what they added and see if I can enjoy it more.  The one time I played through it I didn't feel like doing side stuff and did the straight through path and finished it in 8 hours.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 06:53:27 PM »

Well i bought Fable and after about 3 hours this morning i gotta say i'm very impressed.
Not sure if this is because i've been a pc gamer for years and just started with the Xbox or what.  I hate the controls.  Turning the map and my view with the right stick gets me dizzy.  The combat itself just feels very weak as though there wasn't any thought put into it.  The story itself is uninspiring completely for me.
Maybe it's just me and this is typical for console rpg's, but i was disappointed in nearly ever aspect of the gameplay.  The only real big part that i know i can change is looking for a game with more story depth.  You guys told me it wasnt deep and i thought i was ok with it, but i was bored to tears after an hour.
Not sure what direction to go now.  Maybe i need to reconsider Dark Allaince or Xmen or Jade Empire.  Or just play my rpg's on pc.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 08:49:16 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
Well i bought Fable and after about 3 hours this morning i gotta say i'm very impressed.

Not sure if this is because i've been a pc gamer for years and just started with the Xbox or what.  I hate the controls.  Turning the map and my view with the right stick gets me dizzy.  The combat itself just feels very weak as though there wasn't any thought put into it.  The story itself is uninspiring completely for me.
Maybe it's just me and this is typical for console rpg's, but i was disappointed in nearly ever aspect of the gameplay.  The only real big part that i know i can change is looking for a game with more story depth.  You guys told me it wasnt deep and i thought i was ok with it, but i was bored to tears after an hour.
Not sure what direction to go now.  Maybe i need to reconsider Dark Allaince or Xmen or Jade Empire.  Or just play my rpg's on pc.

huh?
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 09:07:30 PM »

that doesn't make sense?

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 09:23:09 PM »

Maybe instead of "I'm very impressed" you meant to type "I'm not very impressed"?

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 04:40:06 AM »

oh ya, sorry

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 02:16:11 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"

If lack of story is a problem, then you definately don't want to play Dark Alliance.  DA's story makes Fable look epic.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »

DO NOT get XMen. The graphics are like 1999 bad, the story was simplistic, and the gameplay basic and boring. If you want an RPG, well, get JE or KOTOR 1 or 2. If you want action, give Sudeki a try. I really really like the Dark Alliance games, but they are hack and slashers with a tad of story sprinkled in, not RPGs.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 05:37:23 PM »

The only 2 that i know about and own:

http://www.atomicvideoranch.com/product_info.php?products_id=8580&ref=2

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=032264181010

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 05:57:25 PM »

Quote from: "The General"

This is just a general warning. Nightcaster and Nightcaster 2 are two of the worst games on the XBox. Do not bother Xmann. U2K, why dont you try BG:DA 1or2 or Sudeki ro something? They are all bargain bin.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 06:24:26 PM »

Quote from: "The General"

This is just a general warning. Nightcaster and Nightcaster 2 are two of the worst games on the XBox. Do not bother Xmann. U2K, why dont you try BG:DA 1or2 or Sudeki ro something? They are all bargain bin.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/deptpage.asp?wherefrom=search&searchword=Baldur's%20Gate&web_dept=XBOX

Too high, maybe at 7.99 i might pick it up

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/233694.asp

Why pay 12.99 for it, when i plan on buying Sudeki for 5 bucks at the pawn shop sometime next week.

Nightcaster is fun in my eyes, and i am glad i got both versions.

You think it's funny?

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 02:01:44 AM »

Well i spent another couple hours with Fable to give it a fair shake and i still hate it.
Gonna rent Jade Empire and Dark Alliance and perhaps put Fable on the trading block.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 02:10:08 AM »

JADE EMPIRE

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 11:35:16 AM »

Nightcaster 1 was fun; I'm not a big fan of 2 though. I guess when your selection is slim (nightcaster1 was a release title) you tend to overlook flaws.

for Action RPG, I'd say Sudeki is definately a fun game. It could have been more, and I could have been 6'4". :/

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nick Bean
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 01:32:22 PM »

Ha, i'm 6'4".   biggrin
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 04:28:11 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Nightcaster 1 was fun; I'm not a big fan of 2 though. /

Invisible Rep+ biggrin

You think it's funny?

Nick Bean
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 06:30:51 PM »

Deus X: Invisible War is an "action RPG". About 20 hours long if I remember correctly. It is fun, has a pretty good story, and you can probably pick it up really cheap. It is half FPS, half RPG, I don't know if that appeals to X, but it is a good game none the less.

General, since you seem to love the Nightcaster games so much, I am curious to know what other kind of crap you shovel on people?
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »

The best action RPGs on Xbox are:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I and II
Arx Fatalis
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I also REALLY enjoyed Gladius, which is gladiator arena turn based strategy.  Your characters level up, and although you don't choose stats to improve, you can assign skill points to get better moves, and you can buy upgraded armor, weapons, talismons, ect.  Great LucasArts game.
Nick Bean
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »

Arx Fatalis is really good if you don't mind the dark. Gladius, now that was a lot of fun. I played it with three friends and a lot of beer. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing games with people that were in my living room.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 04:47:40 AM »

Quote from: "Draco"
The best action RPGs on Xbox are:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I and II
Arx Fatalis
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I also REALLY enjoyed Gladius, which is gladiator arena turn based strategy.  Your characters level up, and although you don't choose stats to improve, you can assign skill points to get better moves, and you can buy upgraded armor, weapons, talismons, ect.  Great LucasArts game.

Whoa dude, KOTOR is not even remotely an "action" rpg, at least not in the vein of the other games discussed here.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 04:13:23 PM »

It can be if you turn off all the autopause functions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 12:32:30 PM »

Quote from: "Nick Bean"
Ha, i'm 6'4".   biggrin

Nice. Prey on my weaknesses. I'm all about self-improvement right now, so it doesn't bother me much. I'm a short (5'10"), strong mofo who's pretty happy with himself. I just hate you tall bastards gettin' in my way at the movies. slywink

As to the RPG thing, I'd say I enjoyed the first baldurs gate to the second one.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 03:31:23 AM »

Well i picked up Dark Alliance over the weekend and thus far i'm really enjoying it.  As i mentioned in my thread about Ninja Gaiden, with my limited playing time i prefer something on the easier learning curve.  DAII is providing me with just that.
So far i've made it to Act2 and although the story is weak, i'm loving the gameplay and mechanics.  Combat is fun, camera is well done, controls are easy.  This is what i've been looking for since i bought my Xbox a couple weeks back.
I got Xmen Legends, Lego Star Wars, and Bards Tale coming in a trade.  Can someone suggest something similar to DAII?  How is Demon Stone?  I hear its a decent action rpg.  Anyone play through that?

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 04:08:17 AM »

Demon Stone reminded me a lot of a "Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, Jr." -  if that helps.  Button-mashing, etc.   I didn't play it very long, though, just tinkered with it for a bit awhile back - right about the time I started tinkering with Riddick and that drew me in faster (I like FPS's also).  I gave a copy to a nephew, and he loved it, and also said it reminded him of LOTR.  That's about all I can say, hope it helps a little.  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 04:13:25 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Demon Stone reminded me a lot of a "Lord of the Rings, Return of the King, Jr." -  if that helps.  Button-mashing, etc.   I didn't play it very long, though, just tinkered with it for a bit awhile back - right about the time I started tinkering with Riddick and that drew me in faster (I like FPS's also).  I gave a copy to a nephew, and he loved it, and also said it reminded him of LOTR.  That's about all I can say, hope it helps a little.  :?

Man I really really disliked the LOTR button masher games.I am glad I never tried Demon Stone after hearing that its MOTS. Awful games frown
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 05:06:36 AM »

See i dont mind button masher games.  It's fairly mindless and uncomplicated and i don't mind that.  I've read a couple reviews about it being compared to The Lord of the Rings, but i have no desire to play those games.  I loved the movies along with everyone else, but i just hate movie adapted games.  
So is Demon Stone not a good comparison to Dark Alliance?  How does the 1st DA compare to the 2nd?  I've read about the changes made to II, but would it be worth it to go back and play the original?
Any votes for Demon Stone out there or something else i haven't thought of?  However, when i get Xmen later this week i might get caught up in that.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 06:09:49 AM »

X-Men Legends, Bard's Tale, and Fallout : Brotherhood of Steel are the XBox games most similar to DA2, other than DA1.  Other than being overly difficult, I really liked the LoTR action games.  They have amazing production values, and are lots of fun.  I just picked up Demon Stone (for $10 at the Toys R Us clearance) yesterday, and it's supposed to be quite a bit easier, so I think I'll really enjoy it.

As for DA1, it's as much fun as DA2, but is shorter, has only 3 character types, no weapon customization, and you can't use the trigger to set up quick spells/abilities.  I think the graphics are actually better in the first game, though.  It's definitely worth playing if you enjoy the sequel.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: