http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 03:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a DS puzzle game for wife  (Read 1593 times)
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:21:58 AM »

I recently got a DS Lite and am trying to get my wife to play it.  She likes playing bejeweled on her cell phone so I hope to convert her slowly to the DS.    She isn't into crazy fast paced...she said she wants something she can zone out to and relax.  What puzzle game should I get for her?

p.s. don't say animal crossing...

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:42:11 AM »

Is Tetris too obvious an answer?  120 Million Gameboys can't be wrong.

stiffler
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:26:49 AM »

I understand Zoo Keeper is a Bejeweled clone with cute little animals instead of jewels.  Target apparently has it for $15.  I hope they have it when I go tomorrow.

Other than that, Tetris or maybe Bust-A-Move DS (it's just like Frozen Bubble).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:52:27 AM »

If you get Dr. Mario for GBA, it comes packaged with another puzzle game that kinda plays like Bejeweled.  Aside from that, Dr. Mario is also an awesome puzzle game after you learn how to play it.  I can play it for hours on end.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:31:46 AM »

My girlfriend enjoys playing ZooKeeper on the DS.  That's the only game I can get her to play besides Zuma on the PC/360.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 08:12:57 AM »

Quote from: "hornysax"
If you get Dr. Mario for GBA, it comes packaged with another puzzle game that kinda plays like Bejeweled.  Aside from that, Dr. Mario is also an awesome puzzle game after you learn how to play it.  I can play it for hours on end.

So you have the Dr. Mario/Puzzle League cart?  I was thinking of getting this (why is it $30?), but I already have WarioWare which has "Dr. Wario" as an unlockable game.   How is Puzzle League?

Dr. Mario is pure zen.  This used to be the only game on the NES I could beat my friend at.  I love the music!  I need to find the soundtrack...

I wish there were a Columns game.  The old Sega Tetris ripoff.  I like it almost as much as Tetris itself.  Not too different, but just enough to make it a different game altogether.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:32:05 AM »

Zookeeper is decent, but it definitely doesn't have that "zone out" bejeweled feel. Meteos and Magnetica are too frantic.

Hey...does she like music? Maybe Electroplankton. That's probably the closest thing I can think of to a Bejeweled-like experience on DS. If you're not familiar with it, though, it's not a game. I'd read up on this one before picking it up. If you have trouble finding it you can do a store locator at gamestop.com. I'd suggest buying it used or at least getting it somewhere you can return it if she doesn't like it.

Stiffler, that Dr. Mario cart is a fairly recent re-release, which may account for the price.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:36:14 AM »

Tetris, Brain Age(my wife plays Sudoku all day long), Meteos, Magnetica, Zoo keeper(another one that my wife had a hard time putting down) and even Yoshi's Touch and Go is a puzzle game. Feel the Magic, Rub rabbits are different types of puzzle games as well as Warioware Touched. I think you could easily show her a few of these and then lose your spouse and DS for a couple of hours at a time.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 05:46:43 PM »

Zoo Keeper
Brain Age
Magnetica (Has she played Zuma?)
Tetris DS
you might even consider Nintendogs (my wife loved it!)
Metroid Prime Pinball is also an excellent "zone-out" type of game
Pokemon Trozei is pretty good too (if a little fast-paced)

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 08:24:13 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "hornysax"

So you have the Dr. Mario/Puzzle League cart?  I was thinking of getting this (why is it $30?), but I already have WarioWare which has "Dr. Wario" as an unlockable game.   How is Puzzle League?

Dr. Mario is pure zen.  This used to be the only game on the NES I could beat my friend at.  I love the music!  I need to find the soundtrack...

I wish there were a Columns game.  The old Sega Tetris ripoff.  I like it almost as much as Tetris itself.  Not too different, but just enough to make it a different game altogether.

I haven't given Puzzle league a good run yet.  So far I'm not too impressed by it.  It's just average in my book.

I'm also a big Dr. Mario fan, and I also love the old NES soundtrack.  I'm appalled by what they've done to the music and sound effects of the GBA version.  It doesn't hold a candle to the NES sounds, surprisingly.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15:57 PM »

Too bad about the soundtrack.  How can they mess that up?  

Oh well, I'm actually kind of glad since that saves me $30.  Dr. Wario is good enough so long as I'm not missing much with Puzzle League.

I did manage to get Zoo Keeper today for $15.  Score!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:14 PM »

I haven't played it, but Polarium can be had cheaply ($12.99 used at EB/Gamestop).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 12:38:18 AM »

Zoo Keeper has had the most playtime on my DS - Wife LOVES it.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 03:36:33 AM »

Thanks for all the inputs guys....lots to try.

Now Playing:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 03:40:20 AM »

FWIW, Circuity City is having a MEGA game clearance with many, many games at $8.96, several of which have been mentioned here.
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Kevin.  I saw the post here and sent my wife to CC with a shopping list (while I watched the baby) and she was only able to find Mega Micro games and FFIV, but only Mega Micro rang up at 8.96, FFIV rang up at 29.99.  weird huh?  The others mentioned here weren't available.  Bummer because I really wanted FFIV and was hoping they had:

Advance Wars DS
FFIV
Meteos

and some others.

Now Playing:
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 06:01:08 PM »

Quote from: "Enigma"
Thanks for the heads up Kevin.  I saw the post here and sent my wife to CC with a shopping list (while I watched the baby) and she was only able to find Mega Micro games and FFIV, but only Mega Micro rang up at 8.96, FFIV rang up at 29.99.  weird huh?  The others mentioned here weren't available.  Bummer because I really wanted FFIV and was hoping they had:

Advance Wars DS
FFIV
Meteos

and some others.

They will definately ring up at that price next weekend, when the sale is really supposed to kick off.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 06:18:54 PM »

Yeah, I hope I can convince the wife to go back for me....As luck would have it, I leave on a work trip friday through the 5th of July. frown  Bummer, eh.  But I'm hoping I can work something out here at GT or OO for FFIV with someone who got an extra copy.  (I originally wanted to take it for the plane rides on this upcoming trip - but getting it at all would be cool).

Now Playing:
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 06:28:08 PM »

I picked up Zookeeper at Target today for $15 and spent a couple of hours with it.

I have only 2 real complaints.  First, the music is just about the worst I've ever heard.  And I've been playing video games for a long time now.  The music is easy enough to turn off.  I just wish I didn't have to.

And second, after a while, I found holding the DS Lite was cramping up my left hand (I have to hold the DS with my left hand and manipulate the animals with the stylus in my right hand).

The game has an addictive quality to it though.  Like the XBox Live Arcade games, it is easy to understand and play, and once you get started, time just flies by.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 07:05:05 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
They will definately ring up at that price next weekend, when the sale is really supposed to kick off.

Heh, good luck finding anything next weekend.  I had a pretty nice haul all around but this morning on my fourth trip to CC in the past two days there were at least two batches of kids with printed lists of all of the on sale games.  Can't imagine they will still have anything in stock by next weekend.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 12:55:09 AM »

other reports are coming in that they are pulling the games now as well for next weekend.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: