http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 09:25:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCAA Football 2011 Impressions [Xbox360/PS3]  (Read 3534 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »

Alright sports gamers, I've completed two full games of NCAA 11 on the xbox360 and I'm ready to drop some impressions for you.

Gameplay:  This is the BEST playing version of NCAA to date.  However, you don't like Madden or NCAA from the past 2-3 years this game probably won't change your mind.  At it's core it's very similar to the previous few years but there have been enough tweaks and changes made to elevate this game to a new level.  First off, locomotion.  This gives the game a much better feel physically.  You can really feel a difference when running the ball in this game compared to last year and it's definitely a welcomed changed.  The way your ballcarrier runs and reacts to other players and performs special actions such as spin moves feels much more authentic and accurate.  There is nothing more fun that juking a defender in the open field.  Unfortunately, since I was playing as the C+ ranked Cougars of Washington State I didn't get a lot of opportunities to pull off the jukes but it looked really awesome when the other team did it to me.  The second big change I noticed is how the line reacts to defenders.  It's improved but still not perfect.  I saw a lot less missed assignments and a lot fewer lineman just standing there while the defenders ran past them.  The lead blockers also did a much better job of blocking their lead target and then moving down to the next level to block another defender.  Following the lead blocker is a lot more fun now and actually works.  I thing I noticed on defense that I didn't like was the amount of dropped interceptions.  Seems like I had 5+ balls that hit the defender square in the hands just to be dropped to the turf.  Hopefully EA patches the defenders catching skills so I don't get away with throwing into double coverage as often.

Graphics:  The graphics are improved but are very familiar if you've played NCAA in the past couple years.  The lighting has been worked on and due to the locomotion feature the running and player actions look better.  One thing EA needs to work on is gang tackling.  After playing Backbreaker it's clear that tackling can be handled much better than it is currently in both Madden and NCAA.  However, everything else in NCAA absolutely destroys Backbreaker.

Sound:  I don't know when Corso got dropped from the booth because I haven't purchased NCAA in the past 3 or so years but it's a welcomed change. I really cannot stand that guy.  Overall, the commentary is what I would call decent.  I would love for the announce team to mention more school specific facts and maybe talk about past players that have since moved on to the NFL.  Not sure if that's possible but would be awesome to hear them say something like, "This sophmore quarterback has to step in and fill the shoes of Tim Tebow who now plays for the Broncos on Sunday, it's a lot to live up to!"  Also, I would really like to hear more school specific chants/cheers/songs from the band.

Overall, I'm having a blast with this game so far.  It's not perfect, but let's face it, no sports game ever will be.  If you take the game for what it is you will have a great time playing it.  If you search for bugs and glitches and nitpick the game to death it will certainly hamper your enjoyment.  I give it a solid 9.0 at this point.

And lildrgn, this is for you:
http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22431086
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:38:36 AM by WinoMcCougarstein » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »

FUCKING LOVE IT.  More impressions later.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:44:28 AM »

Roll Tide.     Needless to say, I love it.    smile
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:58:06 AM »

Nice impressions.  I bought the game but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »

Operation Sports has a nice detailed review up of the game. They loved it too and now I'm scrambling to find money. I always loved the NCAA series better because finding and recruiting players is so much more fun then signing NFL contracts..

Do they still have the create a team feature? I always liked making my own school with custom uniforms and crap.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »

Oh crap you can download created schools online and it looks like there's custom logos.  icon_eek
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:34:09 PM »

Yeah.....this is definitely the best version since NCAA 2004.  My love for this game is back.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »

Just remembered it's my Bday in two weeks. Sweet I can wait until then.. I'll probably skip Madden this year and just get this one instead. College sports are so much more fun to me but this series was a mess until this year from the sounds of it.

How's the kicking game? As far back as I can remember the field goals were almost automatic for the CPU if they were inside the 20 which was annoying as hell. Since it's pretty much using the Madden engine I guess it's probably better...
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on July 16, 2010, 03:51:51 PM

How's the kicking game? As far back as I can remember the field goals were almost automatic for the CPU if they were inside the 20 which was annoying as hell. Since it's pretty much using the Madden engine I guess it's probably better...

The CPU missed a PAT last night.  nod
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »

Sweet... Does it do the quick snap of the kick like Madden does? I'm betting it does but it would be cool if they changed that.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »

Damn.  The decline of this series into mediocrity has been a welcome savings to my wallet every July.  I must have put 100+ hours into my dynasty back in NCAA 2004, now I get to go back to those glory days?  Say it isn't so!

XBox Live:  JNacht
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »

Bring your own! I'm watching this therad with interest.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on July 16, 2010, 06:59:02 PM

Sweet... Does it do the quick snap of the kick like Madden does? I'm betting it does but it would be cool if they changed that.

Nope.  It's been fixed. thumbsup
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:14 AM »

I have'nt played since 09 skipped last years but this year with the locomotion engine running the ball is just sick. thumbsup

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on July 17, 2010, 12:26:14 AM

I have'nt played since 09 skipped last years but this year with the locomotion engine running the ball is just sick. thumbsup

I agree!  I can finally run the damn ball.  And they finally have the blocking worked out for the most part.

Oh.....I love the fact that a simple love tap doesn't take your QB down for a sack.  The QB can now auto-evade and shrug off (to a certain extent) a possible sack and keep the play alive.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:35:37 AM by Greggy_D » Logged
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 02:31:05 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 16, 2010, 09:54:57 PM

Quote from: Octavious230 on July 16, 2010, 06:59:02 PM

Nope.  It's been fixed. thumbsup
Nice it's a minor thing but it just drove me nuts. It's like if I play a baseball game and the pitcher doesn't pause between pitches. It just doesn't feel right. And the locomotion stuff that Madden added last year is great. You really get the feel for the different types of running backs. I'm soooooo glad to hear that the initial reactions are very positive.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:08 AM »

This game is so damn good.  I am half tempted to call it the best football game I have ever played.  Just lost an awesome game on Live.  I was playing as WSU and lost to BYU 21-14.  I felt overmatched through most of the game but capatilized on the mistakes made by the other player. A really fun online experience.  Go buy this game!

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 02:30:04 PM »

To really see how good the locomotion is, turn the game speed down to slow....pretty freaking awesome!

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »

I may have to break down and get this...

I already preordered Madden 11, but I love some good college football.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 17, 2010, 04:36:04 PM

I may have to break down and get this...

I already preordered Madden 11, but I love some good college football.

Same here, but without the Madden pre-order.  I'm really jonesing for some college football right now.

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

Ran into my first bug.  Called a Punt Block.  My players did not rush the punter but stayed at the line of scrimmage.  They then jumped in the air (ala Field Goal Block) when the punter kicked the ball.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 05:09:29 AM »

Picked this up this afternoon, and spent most of the day with it.  I don't have much frame of reference (this is my first current gen football game of any sort), but am finding this to be quite fun.  The announcers get repetitive after a while, but they otherwise did a great job of capturing the ESPN college football experience.  My only problems are occasionally brain-dead AI*, and a couple bugs**.

*Pinned at their own 1 yard line, Pitt decided to have Dion Lewis - one of the best running backs in the game - attempt a halfback pass (saywhat), which resulted in a safety. 
**On two seperate occasions, the opposing QB froze in his handoff animation, and just stood there until I tackled him

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

Yeah this game gets alot of things right.  The only glaring problem I see so far is some questionable 2 minute drill AI.  But as on online two player game it seems close to perfect so far.  I haven't seen anything close to a money play yet, and everything seems to work as it should.  This is definitely the best version of NCAA yet in my opinion.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 11:12:07 PM »

Quote from: WinoMcCougarstein on July 15, 2010, 01:30:28 AM

LOL. What are the odds that I'd click on this thread and see that I got name checked? Hilarious.

At work the other day, we had a trainer who had a picture of Jake Locker as his desktop. Huge Husky fan. Busted this out:

How do you keep the Cougars off your lawn?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Put up a goal post.

smile

Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

I saw this article about the online Dynasty settings over at The Nut & the Feisty Weasel, and it had me wanting to try out an Online Dynasty for the first time.  

Iíve only just begun to play with it, but this is fantastic. Itís not all the way there in execution, there are several ways I can see already for it to be better, but the fact that you can do this at all is a stroke of genius. Let me run my franchise/dynasty over my lunch hour in a browser that makes information much much MUCH more accessible, so that when I get home I can just fire up the game and take to the field. That is awesome.

Anyone else interested in a 360 Online Dynasty?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »

Wow, the AI truly has no idea how to run a triple-option attack.  Playing against Air Force, and they were launching bombs downfield on a fairly regular basis.   TRIPLE OPTIONS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!

While playing a season has been fun, I'm kind of already regretting this purchase.  Can't really see myself getting overly interested in all the "Dynasty" stuff, so it'll be up in the trading forum as soon as I win my BCS bowl game.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »

Give them a month or two to fix the glaring bugs.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 12:11:38 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 19, 2010, 07:59:09 PM

Wow, the AI truly has no idea how to run a triple-option attack.  Playing against Air Force, and they were launching bombs downfield on a fairly regular basis.   TRIPLE OPTIONS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!

That sounds very strange.  In previous years the AI NEVER threw the ball deep.  I mean NEVER.  Even with the big time QBs like Bradford and Matt Stafford.  It would be very strange to see AI controlled Air Force throwing deep.  Maybe they overcompensated this year.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 03:55:33 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 19, 2010, 07:38:53 PM

I saw this article about the online Dynasty settings over at The Nut & the Feisty Weasel, and it had me wanting to try out an Online Dynasty for the first time. 

Iíve only just begun to play with it, but this is fantastic. Itís not all the way there in execution, there are several ways I can see already for it to be better, but the fact that you can do this at all is a stroke of genius. Let me run my franchise/dynasty over my lunch hour in a browser that makes information much much MUCH more accessible, so that when I get home I can just fire up the game and take to the field. That is awesome.

I'd be interested, but only if a) we run it on a retardedly stringent schedule (like sim fwd every X days, no matter what) and b) to minimize the amount of downtime, we all pick teams that would NEVER play each other except for championships/bowls.

I am convinced that is the only way this would get done.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

I played a game against the Air Force Academy and didn't see the deep passes at all.   I did think they did way too much passing, but nothing deep at all.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 20, 2010, 02:13:20 PM

I played a game against the Air Force Academy and didn't see the deep passes at all.   I did think they did way too much passing, but nothing deep at all.

Maybe it was just situational then, as I had a pretty big lead on them in the first half. 

Arch_d
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 18, 2010, 04:44:43 PM

Yeah this game gets alot of things right.  The only glaring problem I see so far is some questionable 2 minute drill AI.  But as on online two player game it seems close to perfect so far.  I haven't seen anything close to a money play yet, and everything seems to work as it should.  This is definitely the best version of NCAA yet in my opinion.

As far as money plays go, depending on what team you are playing with (I play with Michigan State exclusively), any play involving TE83(Charlie Gantt) or WR82(Keshawn Martin) is 98% of the time a guaranteed catch and 8 yard gain. I knew Gantt and Martin had some crazy hands in real life, but I know if I am ever sitting at 3rd and 6 with no timeouts and down by a score, I know what play I am going to run.

That being said, the recruiting in the Dynasty kind of bothers me. I wish players wouldn't take SO LONG to make a decision, if a guy has had me as his number 1 school for 6 weeks, and a soft-commit for 3. There is NO WAY I should need to keep spending 30 minutes and 2 promises on him to get him to Hard-Commit when the nearest team is 850 points behind me... And I don't like the fact that being an 11-1 team doesn't give me access to more time with some 4-star recruits. Sure I can win games with 3-star players, but even in real life, Michigan State pulls in some 5-stars, and a lot of 4-stars. Other than my recruiting beefs... It's a great game

XboxLive - ArchDan37
God only knows when your word isn't pure
And the blood on your hands isn't yours
I won't believe any word that you tell
And I won't drink the blood if it spills
Arch_d
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on July 19, 2010, 07:38:53 PM

I would be...

XboxLive - ArchDan37
God only knows when your word isn't pure
And the blood on your hands isn't yours
I won't believe any word that you tell
And I won't drink the blood if it spills
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 07:08:41 PM »

I had a game against Houston in my Solo (UCLA) Dynasty last night which was amazing - they came in ranked 20th, and I'd won my first two games comfortably.  They came out and ran their air raid offense in no huddle at times and waltzed down the field for a 7-0 lead.  I responded with a nice drive but stalled around the 20, making the FG to make it 7-3.  They blitzed back down the field  in the no huddle, picking apart my zones in the dime with runs and passes, but I got a stop at my 37 and it was 4th & 1.  The damn computer went for it and got 3 yards and then proceeded to get the TD and were leading 14-3 at the end of the 1st quarter (8 min quarters).  In the second quarter I put together another drive but that stalled on the 10 and I kicked another FG.  They started moving back down the field and I'm getting desperate, not figuring out good ways to stop them and they get down to the 10 when the break I needed came, I popped the RB on a screen and the ball came out, with me recovering on the 13.  I drove down the field with a mix of runs and passes and scored with 45 seconds to go.  I went for 2 on a toss sweep that had been effective, but one of the LB's split the blockers and stuffed the run behind the line of scrimmage.  Then Houston hit a big pass and got into FG range and the half ended 17-12 with me steaming about the damn safety leaving the guy in his zone wide open near the sideline in a 3 deep coverage.

2nd half kickoff came to me, and I got a couple of 1st downs before I had to punt.  Damn, I'm in trouble here.  I've barely been able to stop them.  Let's try some new defenses - I stuck with my base 4-3 on most downs where they had only 2-3 WR on 1st & second downs, and switched to more Man-to-man and Man under schemes and I got a 3 & Out!  Woohoo!  They punted and I drove down to the 35 when my starting QB was knocked out of the game.  I finished the drive and took the lead at 19-17, electing not to go for 2 this time. Their next drive I got another stop, and started driving, getting a first and goal from the 10.  I threw the ball into the end zone and my WR had the ball in his hands but it was stripped, and I was about to challenge when the flag notification came up - holding.  A screen and an out misfired and it was 3rd and 23 from the 24.  I hit my WR on a rollout right in the back corner of the endzone and he caught it, but he looked out.  Houston Challenged and reversed the call.  Damn.  Time to get some breathing room, and I line up my all-american kicker.  Wide right.  F*ck! We trade punts until there's 2:50 left and I've pinned Houston back on their 6.  I fail to stop them on 3rd and 3 from the 13 and they start marching again.  I'm mixing up blitzes and zones and man to man, but nothing is working and they drive down to my 23 with 1:05 to go, and I'm madly calling timeouts to keep time on the clock.  I run out of timeouts and Houston calls timeout when I stuff them.  They line up for the FG... Wide right!  Woo hoo - they only have 2 timeouts left.  1 First down and I've won this game.

I call a power run out of the I formation, holding down the 'protect the ball' button... FUMBLE.  Houston gets to the 5 with 5 seconds left and doesn't miss this time.  I lose, 20-19 in an ESPN Instant Classic.  Damn!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on July 20, 2010, 12:02:04 AM

Give them a month or two to fix the glaring bugs.

The few bugs I've seen have been annoying but very fixable.  If they do fix a few small things this game might surpass NFL 2K5 as my favorite football game ever.  It just has a great on-field feel.  I haven't tried out the recruiting/dynasty stuff yet but I've never had a problem with that.  It's always been the on-field issues that held the game back for me. 

The animations and momentum of the players feels better than in any football game I've ever played.  I also love the little things like how the pre-play diagrams dynamically show how each lineman is going to block even as the defense shifts and you bring someone in motion.  It makes it easier to see which defenders are unaccounted for.  Which can then help you to know when to audible or change your protection. 

I also love how if a reciever has a defender beaten deep, the defenders in NCAA 11 do not always magically close the gap and leap to bat the ball down when they should have no business doing so.  It makes taking chances on defense much more dangerous.  If you get caught with one of your slow DBs covering a deep route most of the time you will pay the price for it. 

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »

Is there any way to get actual rosters for the 360 version, as opposed to the in-game "QB#14" and "LB#83"?  I used to be able to do this back when I played NCAA on the PS2, but I haven't heard if it's possible on the newer consoles.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »

You can grab a named roster from my EA Locker.

My tag is : denoginizer

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »

I highly recommend the online dynasty, even if you're doing single player.

You can create an online dynasty with one player only and make it private.  It takes a little more time to set up and advance weeks, as it uploads all highlight and dynasty data to the EA servers.  But then you can log into the dynasty.easports.com site and view stats and use the storybuilder and the other tools there.

Most importantly, you can recruit.  So, from your PC you can do your recruiting for the week and when you sit down at the 360 jump right into the games and advance.  It's a cool way to run a one person dynasty.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 21, 2010, 04:05:47 PM

You can grab a named roster from my EA Locker.

My tag is : denoginizer

Awesome, thanks!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »

Quote from: jament on July 23, 2010, 03:09:11 PM

I highly recommend the online dynasty, even if you're doing single player.

You can create an online dynasty with one player only and make it private.  It takes a little more time to set up and advance weeks, as it uploads all highlight and dynasty data to the EA servers.  But then you can log into the dynasty.easports.com site and view stats and use the storybuilder and the other tools there.

Most importantly, you can recruit.  So, from your PC you can do your recruiting for the week and when you sit down at the 360 jump right into the games and advance.  It's a cool way to run a one person dynasty.

In my case (maybe cause it was launch weekend or whatever) it took TOO long to go through the weeks and uploads.  I ditched it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: