http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCAA 10 Football release thread  (Read 5380 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

Quote from: mori on July 19, 2009, 10:52:42 PM

If I had any idea what you guys where talking about I would be all over it. I figured the rosters would be part of a patch. If you could leave a crumb trail for me to follow I would appreciate it. I am old and pissed drunk most of the time so you have to work with me here. I am playing on the PS3 btw..

I am playing on the 360.  So I'm not sure exactly how you would do it on PS3.

You would go to the online portion of the main menu.  Then goto EA locker.  Goto download roster.  Then input the tag from Gellar's post " buckeye02".  You will be prompted to name and save the roster. After that goto the main menu and load the new roster.  All of the players names and numbers should now be accurate.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 20, 2009, 12:07:25 PM

Quote from: mori on July 19, 2009, 10:52:42 PM

If I had any idea what you guys where talking about I would be all over it. I figured the rosters would be part of a patch. If you could leave a crumb trail for me to follow I would appreciate it. I am old and pissed drunk most of the time so you have to work with me here. I am playing on the PS3 btw..

I am playing on the 360.  So I'm not sure exactly how you would do it on PS3.

You would go to the online portion of the main menu.  Then goto EA locker.  Goto download roster.  Then input the tag from Gellar's post " buckeye02".  You will be prompted to name and save the roster. After that goto the main menu and load the new roster.  All of the players names and numbers should now be accurate.

Yep - that's how to do it.

BTW I'm really having a great time with this game.  I know there are flaws and the graphics are sinfully ugly, but it's an awful lot of fun at the same time.

gellar
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »

Thanks guys. I downloaded the roster but it did not change anything as far as team ratings go. Seems like a team on the cusp of being a top 25 team should be more than a C/C- talent wise. And file management on a PS3 is incredibly stupid.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »

The sliders patch was released for 360 today.  I think it came out for PS3 last week.

If anyone is interested in joining an online Big 10 dynasy I still have 3 spots left (Illinois, Indiana, Purdue).  PM me if interested.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:16:00 PM by denoginizer » Logged

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 22, 2009, 07:14:03 PM

The sliders patch was released for 360 today.  I think it came out for PS3 last week.

If anyone messes with sliders and thinks that the patch significantly improves them, let me know. If some of my issues can be resolved via sliders I will look into picking this up used I think.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »

More from Bill Abner.  Apparently this is also something that Bill Harris and Operation Sports are seeing, and pretty much completely borks any realistic dynasty mode.

Note:  I said /realistic/.  People who love having tons of 90+ players on their team will undoubtably drool at this one.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/07/ncaa-10-how-important-is-dynasty-mode.html
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 23, 2009, 02:30:24 PM

More from Bill Abner.  Apparently this is also something that Bill Harris and Operation Sports are seeing, and pretty much completely borks any realistic dynasty mode.

Note:  I said /realistic/.  People who love having tons of 90+ players on their team will undoubtably drool at this one.

http://nutweasel.blogspot.com/2009/07/ncaa-10-how-important-is-dynasty-mode.html

Well when you sim though 5 seasons with Ohio Sate, yes you are going to have tons of 90+ guys.  Try playing with a MAC school and see what happens.  I generally agree with Harris that progression is too linear.  5 star recruits will almost always turn into 90s guys.  But the fun in the game is idendifying 2 and 3 star guys who may not end up as 90s accross the board, but have the key attributes you are looking for.  When you use Ohio State that's not necessary.  But when you use Northwestern or Kent State it is.  The dynasty mode is not as detailed as a text based sim.  But it is certainly workable if you are looking to have fun playing the game while doing some recruiting against other human coaches.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2009, 07:54:42 PM »

Okay, so let's go from Abner to Harris, and take Ohio State out of the picture.  By the way, I like how you completely ignored the other half of his comments, which was based about /where/ they're recruiting from, and the fact that states that should have 5 star prospects aren't.    I apologize for the quotes, but for some reason, Bill Harris' blog doesn't have linkable titles.

NCAA 10 (360): A Brown, Gelatinous Mass That Is Only Vaguely Shaped Like A Football
As a fair warning, I thought NCAA was a complete disaster last year, a bad early beta that cost us $60. Previous to last year's version, though, even with its mounting number of flaws, I'd always felt that I'd found a way to get my money's worth.

When the game shipped this year with rosters fouled up and the sliders not working (I had to download "fixed" rosters, and a patch for the sliders is supposed to come out tonight for the 360 version), it reinforced my notion that this game was going to be a lazy, buggy mess.

Reading the "official" bug thread over at Operation Sports reinforces that impression (with big-time issues with fatigue and, incredibly, spotting a punt correctly when it goes out of bounds, plus loads of others as well), but this is a monopoly, we don't have any other choices, and I'm still hopeful that patches will fix enough of this to be able to enjoy the game.

I decided to test Dynasty mode in terms of career progression (since, without the sliders working, I'm not playing any games yet), which has been a significant issue in the past for this series.

In short, this is how progression should work. For the game to play consistently over time, player ratings (as a composite) should basically stay the same every year. Individual ratings change, obviously, but if you have 10 receivers with an overall rating of 95+ in the first year of a dynasty, that number should be maintained to a reasonable degree by the player progression system.

How should that be tested on the development end? Well, the dev runs a Dynasty for 5-10 years and dumps the player ratings at the end of each year into a text file, then assigns "bins" by position and rating. For quarterbacks, for example, there would be a bin every 5 ratings points or so, and the testing tool would tally up how many quarterbacks in the game (for example) have an overall rating between 70-74. There would be a total for every 5-point range (there's an easy way to do this in Excel).

Once the create player algorithm has run for enough years that the default rosters are no longer involved, that final output is the steady state for the progression algorithm. And if it it changes significantly over a five-year cycle, then the progression algorithm has to be adjusted.

Once that's stable, the dev takes the bin output and checks the default player ratings (that are created manually, not by the player creation algorithm). If the bins for the default ratings are a mismatch with the steady state bins, then the default ratings have to be adjusted until the bins are a close match.

That could theoretically be done for every skill rating in the game as well.

What's most important to keep in mind is stability. These ratings need to be stable over time, because if they're not, the way the game plays is going to change, and stats will change substantially.

If that sounds complicated, it's really not. It's just precise work, and it's repetitive. It takes many iterations to get it correct (I was responsible for this kind of testing in three baseball games over the years--twice as a beta volunteer, and once on my own after a game had shipped--modifying the player creation algorithm to create stable statistics over a 20-year period).

So this is one of those areas where I can claim expertise well beyond the level of "I don't make chairs, but this leg shouldn't be wobbly." I've very aware of the fact this this is a detailed, time-consuming process.

So how does NCAA 10 do in this area? Here's a snapshot:

Please click on the image for a larger version.

The summarized version: there were 14 players in the entire game (any position) with an overall rating of 95 or higher on the default rosters. After five years, there were 75! Also, there were an additional 112 players with overall ratings of 90-94, and after five years, there were 270.

That's kind of a shitty mess, really, and some positions are just mind-boggling. There were originally two centers at 95+ and 8 more from 90-94, but after five years, there were 18 at 95+ and 36 from 90-94!

Middle linebackers and cornerbacks are a disaster as well. Actually, there are quite a few disasters. It's a very poor job.

I did notice something that is oddly enticing. I listed the positions in the same order that they're listed on the roster screen, and if you look more closely, you'll see that the first six positions look very good after five years. Yes, there's some hyper-inflation in the middle, but after a full five-year class has been run through, everything is quite good, actually.

Further down the list, though, it's generally a train wreck. Given the the positions that are stable are the first six listed, did they just run out of time?

I've said this before, but I believe it even more strongly this year: the NCAA franchise is entirely lacking in leadership. There is absolutely no excuse for this game to come out in the shape it comes out in year after year, but no one at EA is ever willing to accept responsibility.

Because I'm Charlie Brown, though, I'll keep trying. I'll try to balance the on-field play with slider adjustments (when they finally work). I'll try out legend mode (even though the overtime bug that made me quit last year has apparently not been **$*#@ patched). We're screwed on player progression, though, unless EA decides to include it in a patch.

I'll let you know what happens.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »

And the screenshot he's referring to. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 23, 2009, 07:06:17 PM

The dynasty mode is not as detailed as a text based sim.  But it is certainly workable if you are looking to have fun playing the game while doing some recruiting against other human coaches.

That may be true, but it shouldn't be too hard to come up with proper progression and let those who want to enjoy an offline dynasty share some of the fun too. And considering it's just the second year of online dynasty, and the series first had dynasty mode in 1997, it shouldn't be an issue.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:19 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 23, 2009, 07:54:42 PM

Okay, so let's go from Abner to Harris, and take Ohio State out of the picture.  By the way, I like how you completely ignored the other half of his comments, which was based about /where/ they're recruiting from, and the fact that states that should have 5 star prospects aren't. 

I didn't ignore them.  I just have no opinion on them one way or the other because quite frankly I don't care which state the recruits come from.  Unless it's in my schools home state or in my pipeline I don't care.  It has no effect on game play one way or the other.  It would be nice if Texas, Ohio, Fla, Cal,  and Penn were waited to have more 5 star recruits.  But it's not a game breaker as Abner says.  If Oklahoma wants a guy from Oklahoma, and playing close to home is one of his high priorities then they will get him.  Even if the guy doesn't have Oklahoma listed in his top 10 schools at the start of recruiting.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »

Like I said.  If you count realism as part of your reasons for liking the game, this is bad.  If you like lots of 90s and don't care outside of that, then this doesn't matter. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 23, 2009, 08:38:43 PM

Like I said.  If you count realism as part of your reasons for liking the game, this is bad.  If you like lots of 90s and don't care outside of that, then this doesn't matter.  

If you are interested in throwing all of the ratings into spreadsheets every year and applying study to them then by all means do not buy the game. No argument there. It's the reason I never buy graphical based baseball games.  I care about numbers and extreme realism in baseball.  OOTP 10 is a much better game than The Show for me personally.

But for football I want to play and coach against a bunch of other guys who want to compete.  Give me a game where crossing routes work well against man coverage and screen passes work great against blitzes.  Give me a game where my Northwestern Wildcat's and my buddy's Illinois Illini are battling to get that 4 star corner out of Chicago.  Frankly I don't care if there are 4 95+ rated centers this year and 12 5 years down the road.  For me NCAA 10 is a very solid game.  For Bill Harris it is a Brown, Gelatinous Mass That Is Only Vaguely Shaped Like A Football.  That's cool. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

Which is where we differ.  I want a realistic game that's nice to look at.  If I'm playing the campus legend mode, or whatever, I want to not have to worry about sucking as a running back because the blocking AI is crap.  Or sucking as a WR because the QB AI is horrid.  Or anything similar.  If I'm playing Dynasty, I want to know that if I'm playing (for example) OU, that a majority of kids in north TExas and Oklahoma are going to be at least somewhat interested in Oklahoma.  If I'm playing FSU, there should be a good number of 4-5 star prospects coming out of Florida. 

The football power states should still be the football power states.  There should be the capability for a 2-star athlete to end up a 99 OVR because something clicked.  Not every 5-star guy should be 90+, because many of them are busts.  This is where the design philosophy between Madden and NCAA have diverged, which is why I'm buying Madden. 

And seriously?  When your company's SLOGAN is "If it's in the game, it's in the game", you should be making damn sure that your game /matches/ the sport you're about.  When you can't get prospecting right, when you can't get progression right, when you can't get /blocking/ and game-calling AI and all of the other shit that's been wrong in the past and is still not fixed....and your 'features' include WINDSOCKS, then it isn't in the game. 

When you throw realism out the window, what's the difference (other than the college license) between NCAA Football and .... Blitz.  Or to go old school, John Elway's Quarterback, or Tecmo Bowl? 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »

Who said anything about the blocking AI being crap, or the QB AI?

Again if you are playing as Oklahoma and you really want a kid from Oklahoma you will get him.  If you are playing as Fla State you will see plenty of 5 star guys want to come to your school.  Again if you get a 2 star guy with 4.3 speed (they do exist if you look hard), then although he won't be a 99 overall, he can still dominate with the high speed rating.  There will be 5 star guys who are slow and don't play well.  Prospecting and progression are not exact sciences.  I'm sure if there were a lot of 5 star prospects turning into 75 overall seniors people would complain that progression is broken and too random.  Comparing NCAA 10 to Tecmo Bowl and Blitz just shows that you don't really know anything about the game.  I'm sorry but that is just how I see it.  

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »

This is from someone who basically said, in a nutshell:  Who cares if the game isn't realistic, it's fun, and that's all I care about.

Seriously?  We're not going to agree.  I'm not even /trying/ to change your mind.  I'm passing information on to other people at this point.  Disagree all you want, but whether I know anything or not about NCAA 10 doesn't even come into play.  I've been up front that I haven't played it, and am mostly relaying information from a few sources for people reading the thread. 

I specifically stated in my last reply that those issues were over the past few years.  Not necessarily NCAA 10.  You seem to want to blow off any concerns I have, however, because I don't have NCAA 10, and I obviously didn't play the same game that you did last year, even though there are /tons/ of evidence around the internet (Youtube, Operation Sports, Bill Abner, Bill Harris, and probably any number of others) that the game was broken, and even the patch didn't really fix things.  Early evidence is that while NCAA 10 is an improvement, it's more of a band-aid than anything else, and doesn't fix the /core issues/ with the game series at the moment.  These core issues /have included/ suction blocking, poor game-calling AI, specifically on 4th down and within 2 minutes of each half, horrible quarterback AI, magical defenses that shift en masse on a dime, Super Defensive Backs, and some pretty serious clipping issues, as well as fairly broken recruiting models, which directly ties into maintaining a realistic dynasty model.  Some of these have been apparently fixed this year.  By no means have all of them been fixed.  I've given evidence of this, and has basically been told that I don't have the game, and I don't know what I'm talking about.  Again, these are not /my/ impressions of the game, as I have not played it.  It doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to report on what I /am/ reading and seeing on the game.

But hey, want to ignore anything I say?  Feel free.  But here's some more evidence that you can safely ignore, but other people may learn from before spending $60.  I used the following searches on Google to find these, btw:  1)  ncaa football 09 broken 2) ncaa football 10 broken

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/07/18/not-news-ncaa-09-plagued-with-bugs/
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=1569 (NCAA Football 09 Royally Broken)
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=53249&highlight=NCAA (NCAA Football 10 Already Broken)
http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia/showthread.php?p=2051148 (Dynasty Mode Broken - NCAA Football 10)
http://www.platformnation.com/2008/07/30/ncaa-football-09-broken-gameplay-footage/ (NCAA Football 09 Broken Video Footage)
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/07/ncaa-fubar-09.html (NCAA Fubar 09)
http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=801 (NCAA 09 Postmortem)
http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/2008/08/06/reasonable-analysis-why-ncaas-defense-is-broken/ (NCAA 09 Defense Broken)
http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321047 (Illustrated Guide Why NCAA 10 Will Be Broken, using the demo)
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1945930/ncaa_football_10_video_game_review.html?cat=19 (Admittedly biased NCAA Review)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkBjRRtGjM (Video Review of NCAA 10)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZX8jugd1KA (Halftime Glitch in Campus Legend, NCAA 09.  I had this one happen at least 5 times)

But hey, you're going to enjoy the game, and that's /fine/.  I'm not saying you shouldn't.  But you and I obviously want different things out of a football game, and I'd appreciate not being attacked because I'm giving information to people that haven't bought it yet. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »

And the Operation Sports Bugs and Glitches Thread.  Admittedly, patches are coming out, which may fix some of these.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ncaa-football/333167-official-bugs-glitches-thread.html
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »

Here's a question I don't really know the answer to, so those who are picking apart the game please let me know:  For the progression, does this actually affect a) the gameplay, or b) the simmed stats?  My thought is that if progression is 'broken' for everyone, then every team is going to progress relatively equally and at the end of the day, if there are a bunch of 90s on each team then it doesn't really matter (unless seeing a bunch of 90s drives you to a rage, as it does Bill Harris because dude is more OCD than even I am).  I could be wrong though, maybe it means we have 75 6,000 yard passers each season (which wouldn't even bother me that much, really).

On the field, this game is a hell of a lot of fun.  I'm really having a blast.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »

This is an NCAA 10 impressions thread.  I'm just used to people posting things in impressions threads who have actually played the games.  It seems to me that Zarkon had a predetermined agenda before the game was even released. You just want to post impressions from various bloggers and things about NCAA 09 on Youtube.  I think if people are fans of Bill Harris and Bill Abner they would just go to their blogs and read them.  I don't see how you are contributing other then searching for negative things about NCAA 10 (and 09 for some reason,) and posting them.  I guess I could say that the game has a metacritic of 85, which is pretty solid.  If someone has an interest in college football I would say give the game a rental and try it for themselves.  It is far from a pile of shit as Bill Harris would have you believe.

Gears of War 2 has a 93 on metacritic.  It's my favorite overall game from last year.  But I can go out and find hundreds of youtube videos of glitches in the game.  I'm sure I could find plenty of blog posts and at least as many forum posts calling it garbage.  But since I have actually played the game I am able to filter them out.  Therefore I would feel comfortable recomending Gears 2 to anyone who has an interest in console shooters.  I feel like I can make the same recommendation about NCAA 10 to people who have an interest in College Football.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:31:14 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 24, 2009, 12:10:17 AM

Here's a question I don't really know the answer to, so those who are picking apart the game please let me know:  For the progression, does this actually affect a) the gameplay, or b) the simmed stats?  My thought is that if progression is 'broken' for everyone, then every team is going to progress relatively equally and at the end of the day, if there are a bunch of 90s on each team then it doesn't really matter (unless seeing a bunch of 90s drives you to a rage, as it does Bill Harris because dude is more OCD than even I am).  I could be wrong though, maybe it means we have 75 6,000 yard passers each season (which wouldn't even bother me that much, really).

gellar

What it means is that after X# of years, you're going to end up with a large number of the teams rated at A and B, and a large number of 80 and 90+ players.  This means that there's very little difference between your OU, Texas, Ohio State et al and your Ball State, Northwestern, and Middle Tennesee State.  As I said, it's more of a realism issue.  I'm glad you're having fun with the game.  And as far as an agenda?  I said pre-release that the early reports (from as early as E3) was that NCAA 10 had serious issues, and had not fixed many of the major problems in NCAA 09.  This has so far proven true.  I'd like to point out that reviews on NCAA 09 were also in the 80-90 range.   And was broken. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on July 24, 2009, 12:36:15 AM

This means that there's very little difference between your OU, Texas, Ohio State et al and your Ball State, Northwestern, and Middle Tennesee State.  As I said, it's more of a realism issue. 

Again as someone who played more than 7 seasons with Kent State and 5 seasons with Northwestern I can say that is categorically not true.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2009, 12:44:00 AM »

gellar

What it means is that after X# of years, you're going to end up with a large number of the teams rated at A and B, and a large number of 80 and 90+ players.  This means that there's very little difference between your OU, Texas, Ohio State et al and your Ball State, Northwestern, and Middle Tennesee State.  As I said, it's more of a realism issue.  I'm glad you're having fun with the game.  And as far as an agenda?  I said pre-release that the early reports (from as early as E3) was that NCAA 10 had serious issues, and had not fixed many of the major problems in NCAA 09.  This has so far proven true.  I'd like to point out that reviews on NCAA 09 were also in the 80-90 range.   And was broken.  

So as the game progresses, the teams get closer together.  I don't really have a problem with that.  I do find it odd though, a few years ago (previous gen) NCAA had really very, very good progression and fatigue.  Those things seem to have fallen apart in the current gen versions.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2009, 12:52:24 AM »

Quote from: gellar on July 24, 2009, 12:44:00 AM

gellar

What it means is that after X# of years, you're going to end up with a large number of the teams rated at A and B, and a large number of 80 and 90+ players.  This means that there's very little difference between your OU, Texas, Ohio State et al and your Ball State, Northwestern, and Middle Tennesee State.  As I said, it's more of a realism issue.  I'm glad you're having fun with the game.  And as far as an agenda?  I said pre-release that the early reports (from as early as E3) was that NCAA 10 had serious issues, and had not fixed many of the major problems in NCAA 09.  This has so far proven true.  I'd like to point out that reviews on NCAA 09 were also in the 80-90 range.   And was broken.  

So as the game progresses, the teams get closer together.  I don't really have a problem with that.  I do find it odd though, a few years ago (previous gen) NCAA had really very, very good progression and fatigue.  Those things seem to have fallen apart in the current gen versions.

gellar

Quite honestly the bad CPU controlled mid-major teams seem to get worse over the seasons.  In our 6 human coach MAC dynasty Ball State went from low 80's to low 60's in 7 seasons.  Akron and Ohio U dropped down into the high 50s ov.  The human controlled teams managed to improve slightly.  The Northern Illinois guy actually got up into the high 80s and had quite a few stud players.  Too bad he wasn't as good a player as he was a recruiter.  At the end of our 6th season my 76 rated Kent State team defeated a CPU conrolled 94 rated Texas A&M team to win the BCS title.  

Realistic?  No.    

Incredibly satisfying and fun?  Hell yes.   icon_biggrin

mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »

After many hours of playing this game I am starting to become disatisfied. I think the gameplay is perfectly acceptable but my problem is with Dynasty mode. It is not fun how it is applied. The human controlled team keeps getting weaker and the CPU teams keep getting stronger. If you are trying to bring your team up through the ranks, this makes it extremely difficult as you advance through the seasons. Notre Dame is a recruiting powerhouse even after the concensus says their glory days are over. They have more 90+ players on their offensive line then I have on my entire team. They have 12 guys below 80 while mine number 37. You can't overcome that if you prefer to sim some games.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »

I agree.

Recruiting does seem harder in 2010.  It seems harder as a smaller school to get 4 star recruits. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »

Bill Harris and Bill Abner have both made comments recently that they really like NCAA, despite how many things irritate them. Abner is calling it the best version of NCAA since it jumped to the next-gen consoles, and Harris called it "pretty darned good" and is in the process of trying to come up with a solid set of sliders.

Quote from: Bill Harris
Well, I take it back.

Yes, the default game is a mess. Yes, there are some intractable issues that no patch is going to fix, like the frequent inability of CPU runners to run in a freaking straight line. Yes, animations are all-too-often not matched in speed. Yes, progression is all screwed up.

With some work, though, this game is actually starting to look pretty damn good.

CPU quarterbacks make inaccurate throws. The CPU tries to throw deep. Home field advantage is actually a factor.

That all sounds good, and the sliders are definitely working, it's just they sometimes have unexpected consequences. The majority of his post goes on to talk about how the Run Blocking and Run Defense sliders vary drastically even if you just move them a couple of points. And they also affect kickoffs, which makes it hard to find that balance and come up with a good slider set. Overall though, he claims to have sliders that make a CPU vs. CPU game very good. He's working now on Human vs. CPU where he just calls the plays and lets the CPU actually play. Then once that is done he will adjust it for when he is actually controlling the action on the field versus the computer. This was what I was waiting to hear, but it might be too little too late for this year. I really liked the Madden demo, and I will be trying to pick that up when it is released. Plus, most of my friends tried and hated NCAA this year, so if I want to do an online league, Madden is my best bet.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »

Hmm. I was in a 9 hour OOTP 10 chatroom draft with Abner all day on Saturday.  Maybe my talking up NCAA 10 changed his mind smile

BTW while I think Madden 10 will be very good.  I GUAR--AN--TEE that the online franchise mode will be broken at launch and probably for the first 4 weeks after.  If you really want to get in an online league before the end of Sept I recommend NCAA.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:25:33 AM by denoginizer » Logged

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on July 28, 2009, 11:23:16 PM

BTW while I think Madden 10 will be very good.  I GUAR--AN--TEE that the online franchise mode will be broken at launch and probably for the first 4 weeks after.  If you really want to get in an onlinne league before the end of Sept I recomend NCAA.

Why do you torture me? icon_wink

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »

I'm still buying Madden.  I'm in no hurry for online franchise.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »

Bill Harris posted his sliders today, and compares them to the sliders he used in NFL2K5. Considering how I got my sliders for 2K5 from Harris, that's a big deal for me. I had said that if a good group of sliders came out, I would need to try this game. I'll probably see if I can picked the game up used anywhere for a decent price, or rent it from blockbuster if they ever have a copy. Preferably used since between Madden, Batman, Beatles Rock Band, and Modern Warfare 2 I'm already going to have no extra money for anything this fall/winter.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »

Gamestop has a deal where you get $40 towards Madden 10 with a trade in of NCAA 10.  So I expect you'll see tons of used copies later this month.

** Edit.  Wow he has RB ability set at 95 and tackling dropped to 45 for both human and CPU.   icon_eek   That seems Ok to increase CPU running ability I guess.  But at default All American running the ball seems a bit too easy for human players.  At 95 it's going to be silly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:58:20 PM by denoginizer » Logged

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2009, 04:33:09 AM »

Historically, I've found Bill Harris' sliders to be very much towards the 'people who aren't very good at running the ball' end of the spectrum.

gellar
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 04, 2009, 06:50:07 PM

Gamestop has a deal where you get $40 towards Madden 10 with a trade in of NCAA 10.  So I expect you'll see tons of used copies later this month.

At their standard $54.95 price point no doubt.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:25 AM »

A new patch was released a week or two ago. I came back to this game and I am enjoying it very much. I did some research and picked up some recruiting tips so I can now be competitive in Dynasty mode. I have won the Big 10 title 2 times and the BCS Championship once in the 6 dynasty years I have been playing. I can at least get in the top 15 in recruiting classes which is good for me. It may be time to increase the difficulty. There are still issues with the game. The CPU offense still snaps the ball too fast. Sliders are still fubar and make little sense on how they work. Progression has largely been fixed so the number of 99 rated players are less numerous. If they could just fix the sliders and slow the game down a few seconds at pre-snap, this would be an awesome game. And bring back custom playbooks. Why does every school's playbook need 5 shotgun formations when just about every player only uses 2 of them or the same 2 plays from each of them?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: