http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:23:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NCAA 08  (Read 12358 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »

Ok, just played one quick game.  First off, i only played 07 very sparingly when i rented from Gamefly.  So i can make no comparisons between last years and this.

Let me first say i saw absolutely no difference in the 360 demo and the PS3 retail fps.  It played very smooth and no slowdowns at all.  Haven't been online yet, so that might be a different story.  But offline, it runs fine.  Graphics are on par with the 360, i think.  I say i think because i really didn't like the demo graphics, but i thought the PS3 are very good.  But from what i've read over at OS, the graphics are basically the same on the 360 and PS3.

Really neat things i like thus far....

-Weather channel access.  Very cool to play your game with real time weather from the campus you are at.  Gonna be real interesting to see this when we hit the fall and winter months.
-Gang tackling.  Yep, i saw alot of this in the game i played.  I also was able to strip the ball from the opposing teams running back when my teammates were holding him up.  I ran up in there and stripped it right out.
-Special Plays.  Statue of liberty was really fun.  Tried it one time and it worked, all but my receiver dropping it in the wide open.
-Cool animations and moves.  Not sure if this was in last years.....but one handed catches are awesome.  Opposing team made one against me and i nearly had a one handed interception.
-EASports Highlight real.  Didn't do anything in my one game to warrant an upload, but its just a couple clicks away after the game to upload them.   This has the makings for some awesome stories.  I hope theres a way to make some type of movie out of your favorite plays.

Thats really it after just one game.  Like i said, i did very little with last years.  So i might be excited about things that some people saw before.   I hope some others decide to pick up the PS3 version so if i wanted to play online i'll have a friend or two to play with.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »

Thanks tX! I can't wait for this one!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2007, 06:21:14 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 17, 2007, 05:03:54 PM

-Gang tackling.  Yep, i saw alot of this in the game i played.  I also was able to strip the ball from the opposing teams running back when my teammates were holding him up.  I ran up in there and stripped it right out.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad it has gang tackling.  But it's funny that EA has just discovered how to do something that has been part of football for as long as the game has existed.  Think about it, how many NFL tackles are solo tackles?  Less than half?

Hey we have gang tacking !!!

It's actually a bullet point on the box.

I found that kind of funny.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »

I picked up the PS3 version, and I think it's gonna be fine. We're at the beach so I can't play it for 4 more days, but from the impressions others are giving at different sites, it plays a good game of football.

One thing I am VERY pissed about is the complete lack of reviews. IGN  allegedly had the game over a week ago, so it's inexcusable for there not to be a review of an EA title, 14 hours after the game hit shelves.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2007, 06:39:23 PM »

BOUGHTEN!!

At CC, so got the $10 gift card.  By chance, I happened to arrive at exactly 2 pm and they didn't have APF in, so after arguing with a manager ("Well, we have it in the store."  "So let's see it"), they gave me another $20 gift card per the flyer.

So, $30 for me.  Or $30 off my next game, however you want to look at it.

Haven't played it yet, so impressions in about an hour.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2007, 06:47:54 PM »

Hey jblank, glad you got it too (ps3).   Which version did you get Ike?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on July 17, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

BOUGHTEN!!

At CC, so got the $10 gift card.  By chance, I happened to arrive at exactly 2 pm and they didn't have APF in, so after arguing with a manager ("Well, we have it in the store."  "So let's see it"), they gave me another $20 gift card per the flyer.

Awesome. How late can you go and still try to get in on the 20$ GC for All Pro? I guarantee you they wont have it where I live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 17, 2007, 06:47:54 PM

Hey jblank, glad you got it too (ps3).   Which version did you get Ike?

He got 360. I am also getting 360 later tonight.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on July 17, 2007, 06:48:51 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on July 17, 2007, 06:39:23 PM

BOUGHTEN!!

Awesome. How late can you go and still try to get in on the 20$ GC for All Pro? I guarantee you they wont have it where I live.

I got the 360.  I suppose you can get the $20 GC anytime until they get them in stock.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »

I should be picking up the 360 version today.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »

I bought the 360 version because the PS3 version only listed 480 and 720 modes.    360 version listed up to 1080i and 1080p.   ANyone know anything about this?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2007, 08:06:33 PM »

I'll probably crack and buy the 360 version at Circuit Shitty today when I pick up APF.  The $10 gift card might be too much to resist.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2007, 08:19:20 PM »

Odd... no PS3 version at Target at lunch.  Will have to hit CC on the way to golf.  If no luck there, Best Buy on the way home.

gellar
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2007, 08:35:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 17, 2007, 08:02:40 PM

I bought the 360 version because the PS3 version only listed 480 and 720 modes.    360 version listed up to 1080i and 1080p.   ANyone know anything about this?

The game is native at 720p.  The 360 is just able to hardware scale it to any of it's supported resolutions (like it can with any other title), while the PS3 has zero ability to scale PS3 games at this point in time.  If you have a TV that does not support a 720p input, then the 360 version is an absolute no brainer.  If you do, then the question is whether you like your TVs scaler more than you like the 360s scaler.

gellar
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 17, 2007, 08:35:55 PM

The game is native at 720p.  The 360 is just able to hardware scale it to any of it's supported resolutions (like it can with any other title), while the PS3 has zero ability to scale PS3 games at this point in time.  If you have a TV that does not support a 720p input, then the 360 version is an absolute no brainer.  If you do, then the question is whether you like your TVs scaler more than you like the 360s scaler.

gellar

I thought the PS3 added scaling in a patch?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »

Ok, so, very early impressions.  First off, EA's manual stinginess has hit a new low.  9 pages.  And some of those are warranties and the warning not to play if you have epilepsy.  But no one really reads the manual, so who cares.  Just don't play if you have epilepsy.

Starts out with a tutorial video.  I hope I don't have to watch it every time I play.

I played one game of TX vs. TX A&M on AA.  I lost.  I had 4 or 5 turnovers; the AI had 0.  Does that mean I suck?  Maybe.  The AI still only beat me by a touchdown (well, and also a safety suffered while throwing hail marys out of my end zone last play of the game).  It seemed very hard to move the ball on offense but it does first game every year so who knows.  The defense seemed a mixed bag.  I got 3 achievements, one for hitting a 50+ yard field goal, getting a 50+ yard punt, and holding the AI to less than 200 yards of offense.  As always, 5 minute quarters suck.  I wish they would allow you to have an accelerated play clock so that you could play standard 15 minute quarters but not have the game take 60 real minutes.  HOwever, EA sucks.

I also looked at the other tutorials.  THey seem interesting, but I doubt I'll ever play the campus legend mode seriously.  I mean, really.  Dynasty will have to wait until rosters are available, but the new recruiting minigame looks pretty cool.  I like that trophies are back in, but I don't like that there doesn't seem to be a way of figuring out which trophies you don't have, like there was in 06 and previous versions.  I don't like that drills appear to be out.  I also don't like that, again, there doesn't seem to be a way to pick random teams.  I don't know if they added more camera views, but the default seems fine.

The graphics, like the demo, seem a little cartoonish.  The players feet don't "stick" to the ground and I don't like that either.  I still hate the Sooners.  Sound is pretty good actually and they seem to have added some new lines for the announcers.  Corso didn't tell anyone to "rub some dirt in it, kid" in the game I played even once.  That annoying hiccup is still there, but as it doesn't affect gameplay, I suppose I'll get used to it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:05:52 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2007, 09:15:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 17, 2007, 08:42:30 PM

Quote from: gellar on July 17, 2007, 08:35:55 PM

gellar

I thought the PS3 added scaling in a patch?

For DVDs and PS2 games, yes.  They still haven't figured out how to do it for PS3 games yet though.

BRILLIANT!

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »

Nice impressions Ike!
Tallguy
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2007, 09:32:08 PM »

Additional quick impressions from a first time poster (and long time reader here):

For the XBOX 360:

From the previous post, you can push a button after the EA logo to skip the tutorials and go right the screen where the quarterback appears (i.e press start and good to go).

From playing a couple of games, I noticed the DB AI has improved.  There were a total of seven interceptions in one game alone.  It might be that I'm a bad quarterback  icon_wink I did note that the deep ball is a lot harder to complete against the computer.  I am hoping that it is as hard against human opponents online too.

It seems a little easier to rush the quarterback with the defensive lineman.  The "sticky blocking" is still there but I managed to get the quarterback with more frequency than previous years.

I love the running game.  Runners seem to flow through the lines instead of bouncing around and using the special features really seem to increase yardage.  I am also using the cover ball feature and that has seemed to decrease the number of fumbles present from playing the demo.

Alot of injuries occurred during the games.  No one was lost for the entire game but it was surprising to see the number of starters lost for periods of time.

Tried the minigame with running the option.  If you pick a team with a good running quarterback and running back (i.e. WVU), you can be pretty successful with it.  Initial impressions are positive for this years game and I am hoping they continue!

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »

Most of the online cheese of throwing bombs by dropping back 20 yds and throwing is gone also it's alot easier to contain running qbs now I have played about 6-7 online games already. icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2007, 10:10:45 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on July 17, 2007, 10:06:14 PM

Most of the online cheese of throwing bombs by dropping back 20 yds and throwing is gone also it's alot easier to contain running qbs now I have played about 6-7 online games already. icon_biggrin

Will you actually accept my game requests this year you fiend?
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »

Ok, played a second game on varsity to win me a Golden Hat and I'm a lot happier.  Here's something I noticed.  At the end of both of my games, the announcer said, "And here's the EA players of the game!"  And there were no EA players of the game.  Anyone else notice this?  Nice work, EA.  Solid QA.

Also, as I mentioned before, if I didn't know it was going to be a trophy game, I would have had no way of knowing beforehand.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:39:33 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Tallguy on July 17, 2007, 09:32:08 PM

Additional quick impressions from a first time poster (and long time reader here):

For the XBOX 360:

From the previous post, you can push a button after the EA logo to skip the tutorials and go right the screen where the quarterback appears (i.e press start and good to go).

From playing a couple of games, I noticed the DB AI has improved.  There were a total of seven interceptions in one game alone.  It might be that I'm a bad quarterback  icon_wink I did note that the deep ball is a lot harder to complete against the computer.  I am hoping that it is as hard against human opponents online too.

It seems a little easier to rush the quarterback with the defensive lineman.  The "sticky blocking" is still there but I managed to get the quarterback with more frequency than previous years.

I love the running game.  Runners seem to flow through the lines instead of bouncing around and using the special features really seem to increase yardage.  I am also using the cover ball feature and that has seemed to decrease the number of fumbles present from playing the demo.

Alot of injuries occurred during the games.  No one was lost for the entire game but it was surprising to see the number of starters lost for periods of time.

Tried the minigame with running the option.  If you pick a team with a good running quarterback and running back (i.e. WVU), you can be pretty successful with it.  Initial impressions are positive for this years game and I am hoping they continue!

Nice Impressions and welcome Tallguy!

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2007, 11:08:15 PM »

ok you guys, i'm really really in need of some general gameplay help here.

let me first say that i'm fairly new to football console games.  i've dabbled here and there with NCAA and Madden, but not enough to really be decent at it.

so my first game i played on All American level.  i lost that game 16-3.  i then played on Varsity and lost 16-0. 

defensively, i'm doing ok.  however, what player does everyone typically use on defense?  linebacker, safety, lineman?  do you use a star player?  if you use a linebacker or safety.....do you play the pass and then help support the run so you don't lose containment on passes?

offensively, i really suck.  as you can see i only scored 3 points in 2 games.  not only that, but i hardly moved the ball.   even on varsity i only completed a handful of passes.  what is some general hints to be more efficient offensively?

i realize i can play on an easier level.  but i really want it to be a challenge and not high scoring shootouts.  what tips can anyone give me to learn a bit better?

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2007, 11:31:38 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 17, 2007, 11:08:15 PM

ok you guys, i'm really really in need of some general gameplay help here.

let me first say that i'm fairly new to football console games.  i've dabbled here and there with NCAA and Madden, but not enough to really be decent at it.

so my first game i played on All American level.  i lost that game 16-3.  i then played on Varsity and lost 16-0. 

defensively, i'm doing ok.  however, what player does everyone typically use on defense?  linebacker, safety, lineman?  do you use a star player?  if you use a linebacker or safety.....do you play the pass and then help support the run so you don't lose containment on passes?

offensively, i really suck.  as you can see i only scored 3 points in 2 games.  not only that, but i hardly moved the ball.   even on varsity i only completed a handful of passes.  what is some general hints to be more efficient offensively?

i realize i can play on an easier level.  but i really want it to be a challenge and not high scoring shootouts.  what tips can anyone give me to learn a bit better?

Here's a tip on running if you are having problems getting yards on the ground use the leadblocker button LB on 360 open the hole up yourself for your rb.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2007, 11:46:53 PM »

so in a play like that, you are the blocker and not the rb then?

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2007, 11:52:32 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 17, 2007, 11:46:53 PM

so in a play like that, you are the blocker and not the rb then?

Both you automatically switch to the rb right after the block is made.
Using the the leadblocker feature has really helped my running game.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:54:09 PM by pingwrx » Logged

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2007, 02:00:44 AM »

As far as defense goes, I have found that I am more likely to screw up a play by taking control of my guys than by letting the AI control them.  Generally I take a lineman and go for the sack.  Sometimes I'll take a blitzing LB.  Rarely I will switch men during the play to try to make a tackle, but as I said, I'm more likely to screw the play up when I do that.

Offensively you may just need practice.  Try letting Corso call your plays for you.  It takes a little while to get the rhythm of the passing plays down and I sometimes panic and forget to look for the open man.  Running plays you may just need to keep hammering away at.

Gamertag = IkeV
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2007, 02:14:45 AM »

What the hell?!  It didn't auto save my trophies or stats.  You suck EA.

Gamertag = IkeV
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2007, 05:48:34 AM »

Played about 3/4 of a game tonight.  LOVE IT so far... just need the rosters so I can start my Dynasty.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2007, 06:32:58 AM »

gellar, how does it run on the PS3?  As smooth as the 360 demo?

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2007, 06:33:11 AM »

Well i played a couple more games on Varsity and i just must suck.  Defensively i'm ok, but offense is another story.  I lost to Florida 17-0 on Varsity and i can't complete a pass to save my life.  I then went to Freshman and faired very well.  Played one game and turned it off because it was almost too easy.

So i'm in a tough situation here.  Varsity is too damn tough for me and Freshman is way too easy.  Any advice?

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2007, 06:58:22 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on July 18, 2007, 06:33:11 AM

Well i played a couple more games on Varsity and i just must suck.  Defensively i'm ok, but offense is another story.  I lost to Florida 17-0 on Varsity and i can't complete a pass to save my life.  I then went to Freshman and faired very well.  Played one game and turned it off because it was almost too easy.

So i'm in a tough situation here.  Varsity is too damn tough for me and Freshman is way too easy.  Any advice?

uh yeah, it's called keep playing and practicing on Varsity

I mean you don't expect to be as good as you'll ever be in a game after just one day do you?  games require hard practice
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »

Yeah, just keep at it.  Play some mismatched games to give you an advantage.  I'm not very good either, but I'd be happy to play with you online and give you whatever pointers I can.

One one hand, I love the improvements they've made to the gameplay.  On the other hand, the game still stinks of EA's "You'll buy it anyway" attitude.  It's like a hot girl with huge cans who you take home to find out she's got razor sharp teeth in her vagina.  You have to manually save your files, but there's actually an option to not save any files when you press the quick save button, and that option is the default!  I mean, what the fuck?!  The manual, unfortunately, is too glossy to wipe my ass with, and is no help otherwise.  I still haven't seen an option to change the default camera angle.

It's just frustrating that minor annoyances that should have been caught by QA are keeping this from being a truly great game.  Because I love the running game.  And it really is fun to play.

Gamertag = IkeV
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on July 18, 2007, 11:03:24 AM

I still haven't seen an option to change the default camera angle.

There isn't one.  The lack of camera angles is my biggest beef with the game so far.  It is way better than 07 in terms of smoothness and animation.  I think I am spoiled by APF.  This game seems like more of the same to me.

Also after playing 2 smooth as silk online games in APF I was jolted back to reality with a verry laggy game of NCAA in which my opponent thankfully quit after halftime.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:02:59 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »

I played two minigames and then went to bed-late night and sickness ftw. Either way, I loved the way the game plays, but hate that slowdown in the playcalling menus. The new animations are awesome. Can't wait to play more tonight.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2007, 04:37:45 PM »

This game represents everything I hate about EA Sports and their lock down on the franchises.   

mad

It is rife with inaccuracies, clumsy interface, and they haven't updated the audio in 5 years.    By now we should be having accurate stadium chants and minor fight songs for all the top 40 teams.   Heck... for all the teams included.

mad
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 18, 2007, 04:37:45 PM

This game represents everything I hate about EA Sports and their lock down on the franchises.   

mad

It is rife with inaccuracies, clumsy interface, and they haven't updated the audio in 5 years.    By now we should be having accurate stadium chants and minor fight songs for all the top 40 teams.   Heck... for all the teams included.

mad

I kind of agree with you.  The onfield gameplay is much better than 07 due to increased framerate and escapable animations.  But the atmosphere and presentation are sub par considering how much of a cash cow these games are for EA.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on July 18, 2007, 06:32:58 AM

gellar, how does it run on the PS3?  As smooth as the 360 demo?

If no one would have told me it was 30fps vs 60 fps, there is no way I would have noticed a difference.  It runs great.

gellar
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 18, 2007, 04:37:45 PM

mad

mad

So Alabama stinks in the game, huh?

icon_razz
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: