http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:09:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA2k14  (Read 2294 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »

Fine!  Fine!  I'll be the one to start the thread.

This game looks almost photo realistic.   The usual fantastic commentary that gets context right is also here.   My only complaint is that I don't know what the hell I'm doing in the menus.  I found the quick game easily enough, but there is another mode where you collect cards, and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with that mode.   

#confused
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »

Game is pretty difficult as well for someone that doesn't live and breathe basketball.   I have yet to win a game.  I'll keep it close until a couple mins left in the game and then the CPU just pulls ahead every time.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

I always found NBA2k to be difficult.  Please keep us updated on your thoughts as I'm definitely considering it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »

I won the initial loading game on a last second 3 pointer by Wade so that was an awesome way to start.

The graphics are awesome, but there are some players who needed a bit more detail added to their faces.  I also saw some duplicated faces in the crowd and some of their animations where in unison which looked odd. 

The gameplay is ok, I've always felt basketball games were a bit clunky because of how the hit detection had to work especially in the lane.  I had some passes that didn't go where I thought I had aimed which turned into some fast breaks for the opponents.  I did have to turn down the replays after made shots as it seemed to play it after every one which made taking the ball out take longer than needed. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »

Are there no difficulty options in the game?

With new console launches, it always seems to be the sports games that have the most impressive graphics during launch, and I'm always tempted to buy them.

Fortunately, I do like basketball, but I in no way follow the sport.  I don't know rosters or coaches or anything.  But I do like watching the game occasionally.

I've heard the My Career thing has a story mode this time around, and I thought that might be interesting.

Is it worth it for someone like me with only a passing interest in the sport but who wants to be wowed by the graphics?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 17, 2013, 04:34:31 PM

Are there no difficulty options in the game?

With new console launches, it always seems to be the sports games that have the most impressive graphics during launch, and I'm always tempted to buy them.

Fortunately, I do like basketball, but I in no way follow the sport.  I don't know rosters or coaches or anything.  But I do like watching the game occasionally.

I've heard the My Career thing has a story mode this time around, and I thought that might be interesting.

Is it worth it for someone like me with only a passing interest in the sport but who wants to be wowed by the graphics?

There are a lot of options that you can customize to make the game as easy or hard as you want it. 

The first time I played I really didn't know the moves, but I had a lot of fun and saw some cool animations.  I didn't run any set plays and let the computer decide all the substitutions and still had a blast.
I then went and tried the tutorial and there are a lot of moves to learn, the tutorial was great and showed you how to perform the move and gave you tips after your attempt on how to make them better. There is a deep system underneath, but I don't think you have to learn all of it to have a good time. 

The second game I played I was trying to incorporate the moves I learned in the tutorial and I was somewhat successful, it will take some practice on which moves to combine together.  I pulled off a pretty cool juke then drive to the basket followed by a monster dunk which felt great.  The crowd interaction was really good, they boo'd when I fouled and cheered as I tied the game and the opponent called a timeout, they felt tied to the game I was playing. 

I didn't try the my player yet, I set it up and when it went to the 2k servers it locked up my PS4 so I had to turn if off and on and when I came back it did sign me up to the site.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »

Are we talking the next gen PS4 version or current gen? I play current gen on the PC but would lke to check out the next gen version. Just not enough to by a PS4.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »

Quote from: Rip on November 18, 2013, 11:24:25 PM

Are we talking the next gen PS4 version or current gen? I play current gen on the PC but would lke to check out the next gen version. Just not enough to by a PS4.

I'm playing the PS4 version, I don't the the PC version has all the updated options and graphics of the PS4 version.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »

PS4 version here
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »

PS4/XBone version is totally different than current gen versions. Next gen appears to me to be a move in the "Free to Pay again" direction.

It looks nice but microtransactions are the devil!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »

microtransactions in a full retail priced game?  and it's not by EA?  damn

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »

Been trying to play this but keep freezing trying to the enter the draft room of the my career section.  PS4 version.  Ive tried deleting all the files and starting over several times and no luck.  Not sure what else to try at this point.  From what little I saw it looks fun.  
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »

The visuals in this game are incredible.   The audio is amazing as well.

The menu?   Confusing as hell.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »

EA step up your game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8OBiMMo7Ao
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 03:10:50 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 20, 2013, 01:37:47 AM

Whoa.  icon_eek
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 04:24:59 AM »

IGN crushed NBA Live. The difference between the two is pretty amazing. It only makes it even more frustrated that EA has the exclusive NFL rights.  disgust
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:47:58 AM »

Anyone with PS4 version having problems with it crashing?  It just started happening tonight for me but everytime I go into NBA today it crashes with the CE-34878-0 error??
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »

Played the MyPlayer mode and it's pretty awesome.  I like the way you have to play as one position and have to do something besides dribble and shoot, setting screens is rewarding.  The mode is like a mini-rpg with cutscenes and full voice work.  The first game has you playing in a college all star game and how well you perform determines how high up in the draft you will be picked.  I was drafted 5th and went to the Pelicans, I did have an interview with Dallas which had me choosing what to say during the talks.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »

Quote from: shon on November 22, 2013, 09:27:01 PM

Played the MyPlayer mode and it's pretty awesome.  I like the way you have to play as one position and have to do something besides dribble and shoot, setting screens is rewarding.  The mode is like a mini-rpg with cutscenes and full voice work.  The first game has you playing in a college all star game and how well you perform determines how high up in the draft you will be picked.  I was drafted 5th and went to the Pelicans, I did have an interview with Dallas which had me choosing what to say during the talks.

I've pretty much only played the MyCareer/Player mode.  It really is, as shon describes, as much an RPG as has ever been incorporated into a full-on basketball game.  It takes ideas from games like Dragon Age and Fallout and uses them within the framework of the already excellent 2K game engine.  In all honesty it could have been peeled off and sold as a separate RPG/adventure game, though I suppose the market for such an animal might be kind of random.  

Gameplay unfolds as described above, and a combination of your in-game skills, conversation choices, and character build all come into play to dictate where things go.  Most of the choices are fairly limited, but in general they will affect you both positively and negatively, and may dictate or lead to certain opportunities (such as being traded) becoming available (or not).  During matches the coach and social media will present challenges (such as score 10 points in a row), which if you complete you are rewarded with coins that can be used to buy different clothes, as well as in customization.

Character build is where the RPG-ist gets to have fun.  You spend coins that you earn throughout the game (or by IAP) to both improve stats like dribbling, shooting, dunking, etc - but also to unlock "Signature Skills" which are kind of like Fallout Traits.  So there is a ton of customization that comes into play depending on what stats and traits you choose to develop, whether it's to become a dunker/rebounder or a slasher/scorer or a pure shooter.  There's also a third trait-like section that you unlock through gameplay (not coins), things like Fan Favorite which grant you some special bonuses under certain conditions.  All in all, between the customization and the ongoing storyline(s), this is absolutely one of the most entertaining additions to the basketball game genre in many many years.

Some random comments, criticisms and nitpicks...  First off the voice for your main guy is kind of irritating, he keeps using "street" phrases like "you feel me" and others that just annoy me.  I would have liked at least one other voice option, this guy tries to hard to sound cool.  Also for some reason you can't tweak the facial details (I thought you could in the past), so you're limited to the pre-made heads.  There's a lot to choose from but for such a long term commitment I prefer full control of the face shape, skin tone, etc.  

As mentioned above, the game can be pretty hard, even in Rookie mode.  The problem with that is that combined with sometimes wonky coaching, you have limited ability to improve/control your fate.  This is both good and bad, because it gives the game a kind of bizarre realism, whether intentional or not.  I loaded myself up with top shooting skills and played on Rookie difficulty thinking I could coast through the storyline, but even seemingly stacked there's nothing I can do if the coach decides to pull me out of the game.  I guess you could argue it accurately simulates the feel of being a rookie/player with little control over your minutes.  In several games I was in, I had either brought the team back from behind or into a lead, but then I was taken out - and when I'm put back in we're down by 10 with 2 minutes to go.  That can be stupid and frustrating, though I suspect a lot of young players might feel like this at times.  Then out of the blue the coach gives you a message saying he wants you to win the game, and you're like, huh?  NOW you put me in after the game is lost, wtf??  I wish there was a better +/- measure to gauge your overall worth.  Sometimes raw stats don't tell the story.  The game does track non-stats like a pass that leads to an assist, or pass that leads to a foul, but it doesn't seem smart enough to realize the overall effect you are having on a game.  Then again one might argue it's just realistic of a poor coach lol.

Other minor issues: the game seems very finicky and stingy on what it classifies as an assist.  I was not given credit a bunch of times where today's statisticians would have granted an assist for sure.  This becomes annoying when you get criticized for not making enough assists.  Also some of the teammate situations are silly.  One has a guy forcing you to wear a clown nose everywhere.  I mean seriously that's pretty stupid, but you get semi-penalized for saying no.

Again these are all nitpicks I can live with - overall I was really impressed, and would be fine with buying a separate game that ONLY featured the Career mode.  It's really that good/different.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 08:11:45 AM »

Stealing is fun
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

I'm getting really tired of every time the coach gives me extra minutes we're 20 down when they bring me in, then when we lose he says I need to step up my game.  Then he cuts my minutes for not doing well enough.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »

right after I posted that, we had a 25 points lead and I was kicking ass.  I go to the bench, then it skips to end game and we lose by 6.  so frustrating.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 10, 2013, 10:39:32 AM

right after I posted that, we had a 25 points lead and I was kicking ass.  I go to the bench, then it skips to end game and we lose by 6.  so frustrating.

Yeah that's got to be the worst part - I say demand a trade lol!  I think I've finally turned the corner, but of course I'm playing easiest difficulty.  I'm listed as the 6th man so I've got OK playing time.  Of course you'd think with me scoring close to 20pts/game they'd make me a starter but whatever.  I'm still only a rookie lol.  I'm wondering if it's worth rocking the boat when the GM questions you.  I'm afraid if I get traded I'll end up playing less and needing to start from scratch to prove myself.  We're winning most games now so I think I can just ride it out. 
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:04 AM »

Could be the simulation logic doing that. I never accel the game. I like to watch the team and see how they play without me.

Also make sure you turn on the display of plays in the presentation settings and also "Run Plays" wherever that setting is. Without playcalling on the game turns into an Isolation/Pick and Roll fest.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 04:03:28 AM »

Wow got to play couple quick games this game is gorgeous hello next gen.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »

Traded in some old and busted 360 games for this new next-gen hotness. Can't wait to take My Career out for a spin tonight
JayDee

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »

Ok this game is really hard.
pingwrx

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on December 28, 2013, 05:41:03 PM

Ok this game is really hard.

If you are not a vet of the 2k series I would advise to bump the difficult level down even start at rookie if you have too. Going thru the tutorials will give you a handle on moves.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 01:25:25 AM »

I am new to the games, the tutorial was key.  I play on Pro, since it seems the computer actually starts 'cheating' at all-star and higher. frown  (hate when games do that btw, instead of better ai, it just lowers your stats and boosts theirs)

I was playing on 10 minute quarters because it gave realistic total game scores and stats, but after the in game people complaining about me not breaking records I put it on 12 minute quarters.  Now I'm getting between 60-90 points per game and final scores are 140+  Roll Eyes

My biggest complaint overall is the teammate AI being weaker than the other team's AI.  They seem to want to force you to be the center of the game which I understand most people would want.  I kinda would prefer more of a sim though and play my role.  Assists for example are much harder to get than they should be since when I do get a teammate open and pass to them, they usually pass it back and don't take the shot.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »

So is anyone else having trouble with the 2K servers or their MyPlayer files?  I saw some other comments that seemed similar to mine - seems like my file is corrupt or lost or something weird.  Basically I can't get back to my MyCareer, and it keeps trying to throw me back to the beginning/create a character.  Very annoying.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »

sigh, sometimes
This happens and makes me want to rage
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 22, 2014, 08:03:13 PM

At least you can play!  I was finally able to play my MyCareer play file again - for one game.  Now it constantly kicks out in the Rising Stars game, so irritating.  I had just been promoted to starter after demanding a trade, so it was getting really interesting.  Hoping for a new patch to come out soon.

By the way is there any way to know for sure whether or not you installed a patch or not?  I don't recall ever seeing an auto update message.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »

Got drafted by the Suns and we're 1-13. Our defence is terrible. But I've moved my way up to the 6th man on the roster. And not even on Rookie. On Pro, or whatever the next difficulty is. Averaging 10.5 points per game in about 20 minutes of court time per game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 01:32:18 AM »

The game is still fun for me, but it's pretty broken with balance. I'm in the Conference Finals, and am AVERAGING 119 points in the playoffs
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:36 AM »

I play 2k13 for pc, and don't know if it's worth going to 2k14.  i'm pretty sure the pc leaves out certain features that are only available for the PS and Xbox.  Makes no sense. 
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »

Quote from: frost on January 23, 2014, 04:45:36 AM

I play 2k13 for pc, and don't know if it's worth going to 2k14.  i'm pretty sure the pc leaves out certain features that are only available for the PS and Xbox.  Makes no sense. 

It does, I wanted more then anything to play on the playground but that's not an option for pc players, oh well at least it was a lot cheaper.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »

2K14 on the PC isn't even the same game as the nextgen console version. It still has Association mode instead of MyGM, etc.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 22, 2014, 08:03:13 PM

Nice Doo!

But yea I hate stuff like that. I get a couple times the inbounder just throws it behind the guy and it goes straight out of bounds. Or the one that really pisses me off a teammate runs right into me after I come across half court and boot the ball all the way to the ther end. I am thinking it is the logic wanting some unforced turnovers and getting them however it needs to.

BTW, do you let anyone else shoot at all?
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

Quote from: Rip on January 23, 2014, 11:55:23 AM

BTW, do you let anyone else shoot at all?

Harkobe is role playing  nod ninja
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:54 PM »

I tried letting them shoot, they don't.  I pass to them and they either stand there like fools or pass back to me.  Eventually I just decided fuck it, and I take every shot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: