http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:24:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA Street Homecourt  (Read 1488 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 10:13:27 PM »

The reviews have been good.  I loved the first game and really liked the second.  Why am I not loving this one?  I'm finding career mode really challenging, for one, but not in a good way.  The computer definitely plays catch up, which is insanely frustrating.  Dominating the game?  Get ready for multiple steals and three-pointers.  The reverse doesn't work, though.  Maybe as my skills improve, I'll be able to up my stealing ability.  Also, I was doing the cool double shot (the ball goes in, bounces and lets you redunk), but all of a sudden its clanging off of the rim on a dunk.  Maybe I'm getting the wrong guy to the hoop.  The opposing team seems to pull this crap off flawlessly all the time (especially when they're behind for a second).  Also, there's no map, just a collection of seemingly random challenges, one of which will eventually open a new court.  However, you don't seem to have the ability to go back to a previous court, which seems to be the way I'd like to increase my stats now.  Also, there's no way I've seen that charts your progress.  It doesn't give you that sense of accomplishment the previous games have.  You unlock special clothes as you play, but I haven't seen a reason you unlock the cool shoes, just all of a sudden you do.

Anyone else frustrated with this?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »

I guess I'm the only other person who's picked it up. slywink

I played through the entirety of the single player on the medium difficulty level; I appreciate the new nuances with timing the double/triple shots, the ability to steal a gamebreaker, and the visual update.

It does railroad you through a specific set of courts culminating in the Brand Jordan gym.  After you win a certain number of games at a court, you'll see a game that's described as an "open court" (or something similar) game that moves you on to the next court in the series.  If you win, you stay there.  Additionally, you can see what clothes/shoes you'll win by hitting the "more info" button on a particular game.  It'll give you the number of reward points, any bonuses that you can earn, and any items you'd win by winning the game.

My chief complaints about the game?  I don't want to play games to 30 points.  Ever.  It takes too long. Fortunately, I was able to avoid most of those by just choosing from the remainder of the options at a particular court.   Also, long shots are basically impossible unless you steal the ball on an inbound pass or get a fast break - they're just too easy for the opponent to block otherwise.  Once I got Diana Taurasi, however, I would just harass the inbound pass and earn an immediate shot attempt before the defense would get back.

So - in short - I love basketball, and the game plays fluidly, so I'm willing to overlook my minor frustrations.  It's definitely the kind of game I prefer playing against a human opponent (not that I have any at the moment).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 10:22:20 PM »

I really liked the demo, but since i just bought MLB 2k7, i'm gonna wait a couple months.  I'm also still plugging away at NBA 2k7 so i gotta get my playtime with that before moving on to something new.  I'll keep an eye on this thread though as i might pick it up sooner than later knowing me.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »

I too loved the demo, but this game is soooo far down my 'gotta have' list that it will be $29.99 or less by the time I get to it.  Too many good releases in the next few months.  Maybe I will pick it up this summer during the inevitable release drought.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:08:57 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on March 03, 2007, 10:36:12 PM

I too loved the demo, but this game is soooo far down my 'gotta have' list that it will be $29.99 or less by the time I get to it.  Too many good releases in the next few months.  Maybe I will pick it up this summer during the inevitable release drought.

Thats exactly how I feel, except replace loved with "liked" smile
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »

Anyone still playing?  I got a few games i'm gonna sell next week and was considering picking this one up. 

gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »

I just picked this up yesterday. I have only put about an hour into it, so I can't say much about it. I do love the fact that it is one of the first (if not the first) xbox 360 games to support native 1080p. Having just purchased a 1080p tv, I wanted to see if it looked as crisp as the PC games I play on it. Well, Homecourt looks amazing at 1080p and still maintains smooth gameplay. This is a perfect title to do 1080p on as there are not a lot of characters to render at once. They can really pack the detail into the 6 players on the court and the environments.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »

Quote from: gilgamex on March 10, 2007, 11:59:34 PM

I just picked this up yesterday. I have only put about an hour into it, so I can't say much about it. I do love the fact that it is one of the first (if not the first) xbox 360 games to support native 1080p. Having just purchased a 1080p tv, I wanted to see if it looked as crisp as the PC games I play on it. Well, Homecourt looks amazing at 1080p and still maintains smooth gameplay. This is a perfect title to do 1080p on as there are not a lot of characters to render at once. They can really pack the detail into the 6 players on the court and the environments.

The 360 can do full 1080p over component? Since when?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 11, 2007, 04:14:44 PM

it's been able to do 1080p over component and VGA since the fall update, but there haven't been any games that actually support native 1080p until now.  it all stems from giving the 360 ability to output HD-DVD at 1080p.  if only my tv would accept 1080p via component...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »

Quote from: disarm on March 11, 2007, 05:13:37 PM

Quote from: Calvin on March 11, 2007, 04:14:44 PM

it's been able to do 1080p over component and VGA since the fall update, but there haven't been any games that actually support native 1080p until now.  it all stems from giving the 360 ability to output HD-DVD at 1080p.  if only my tv would accept 1080p via component...
"

I was just going to say, I thought many TVs wouldnt accept 1080p via component and that there was some image degradation.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »

I don't think image degradation is really an issue - here's someone's chart showing what the VGA vs. Component outs get you.  VGA out is the best option (you get everything upscaled to 1080p because they aren't required to limit it for the content providers).

VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others
DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS
DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS
Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 11:58:31 PM »

Yeah I don't think it's a limitation of the cable type more than it is the TV.  Most TV manufacturers didn't bother to accept a 1080p connection over anything but HDMI because they figured no one would actually do it.

gellar
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:57:44 PM »

I am running 1080p via the VGA connector. It looks awesome. I don't think the xbox will do 1080p over component.

There is no image degredation that I can tell. Quite the opposite. It looks as crisp as the PC games I play on the TV @ 1920x1080.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 04:23:22 PM »

Quote from: gilgamex on March 22, 2007, 03:57:44 PM

I am running 1080p via the VGA connector. It looks awesome. I don't think the xbox will do 1080p over component.

It does for games, not for movies.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »

good game but I grew bored with it very quickly. Excellent presentation and soundtrack though.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »

Looks like there's three new downloads up for this on the XBL marketplace:

Perkins Park - 300 pts.  Apparently Lebron's home court in Akron, Ohio.
Street Legends & Brand Jordan Apparel - 300 pts.  6 of the street legends from previous games (Stretch, Biggie Littles, Bonafide, Takashi, Osmosis, and Drake) , five sets of Brand Jordan items.
Melo's Cloverdale - free.  "Brand new treatment of visual effects" for Carmelo's home court:  Cloverdale in Baltimore.  Looks like it's decorated for his charity event.

I'm very close to buying Perkins Park, just because I love the voiceover intros by whats-his-name.

Update:

The new Cloverdale's set at dusk, and there may be a few more posters/pennants around.  Nothing too obvious, but I hadn't played the game in awhile.

And I bought Perkins Park.  Sadly, no voiceover, so it's basically just a scenery update for five bucks.  I love the look and feel of the courts in the game (though I'm still a little bitter that Mosswood didn't make it into Homecourt.)  But if you're not a completist, it's probably not worth it to purchase.

I will definitely not be buying the Street Legends pack.  No interest in new outfits, and I also don't care about the fictionalized characters.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:11:39 PM by Brendan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: