http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 10:28:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA Jam : On Fire Edition  (Read 874 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

I think I've found my downloadable game of the year.  The game is pretty much a perfect rendition of the NBA Jam formula, from the instantly enjoyable gameplay to the laugh-out-loud commentary.  There's also a ton of content, with around 60 teams, a lengthy Road Trip mode, and hundreds of things to unlock (from teams to players to cheats like big head mode or unlimited turbo).  Also, the commentary is perfect, especially when the announcer insults your playing.  My favorite comment so far -
Spoiler for Hiden:
The announcer sings "I believe I can fly" and then says "That's good, because you're the only one who does" smile
 It's an awesome game, and a steal for $15.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:09:20 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »

Can someone give me tips?  I absolutely suck at this game, but I kind of love it anyway.

I'm constantly getting slammed (and the rubber band AI's ability to pull off 3 pointers makes it frustrating).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

I didn't even know this was coming out.   icon_eek

As a kid we played NBA Jam at a friend's house every day over the summer before basketball camp.  And then every day after school.  For those who have played, is it predominantly current players, or are some of the classics available as well?  I'm aware of what's currently going on in the NBA, who the marquee players are, but I'm nowhere near as avid a fan as back in the 80's and 90's. 

This could be really fun.  Also, is there an online component?  It would be pretty fun to match up against friends on XBL as most of our fun came from mocking and harassing each other when you dunked on someone. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »

How does this differ from the disc version?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 07, 2011, 12:43:31 PM

Can someone give me tips?  I absolutely suck at this game, but I kind of love it anyway.

I'm constantly getting slammed (and the rubber band AI's ability to pull off 3 pointers makes it frustrating).

Are you using all the different moves?  There are a lot of things you can do, so check the help screens.  My first few games were close, but once I started using more moves, I started stomping on the AI.  Also, alley-oops seem overpowered, so try to use those a lot.

For those who have played, is it predominantly current players, or are some of the classics available as well?  Also, is there an online component?
Each of the NBA teams has their current players and two unlockable classic players in their classic uniforms.  You can play online, but I've only done random matchups, so I'm not really sure of the the match setup options.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »

I looked on Wikipedia and saw that the Falcons have Spud Webb and Dominique Wilkins.  I almost might have to get this just to be able to control Wilkins.  The Bulls are always disappointing as they've never included Jordan.  At least it's Pippen/Rodman instead of Pippen/Grant (although I would love to see the goggles).  Larry Johnson would also be cool to play, but no Shaun Kemp in Seattle?  Booooo.  I'd be more interested in playing the classics than the current players, but it could be a fun little distraction.  Is it XBLA or On Demand?  If XBLA I could at least try the demo.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »

There's a demo. (left hand side)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/NBA-JAM-On-Fire-Edition/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802584111ec?downloadType=Game&noSplash=1
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:43:54 PM »

I can vouch for this one. Excellent remake. I loved the original, now I love this remake.

It plays exactly how you would want it to in this modern age.
I just bought it yesterday and I've played around 10 games already. I played couch co-op with one friend on my team and another friend on the CPU's team. We had to pause a few times for laugh breaks and by the end we were yelling with excitement.

Highly recommend this one.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:51 AM »

I've always despised rubber band AI, but against humans this game is pretty awesome.  I used to make fat stacks of cash at the arcade playing as a ringer on a team smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: