http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 04:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA 2k8 - Chris Paul will hop-step into your soul and destroy your being  (Read 2703 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:30:52 AM »

NBA Live's demo impressed me, but I gotta stick with the king of basketball games, 2k Sports.  Haven't been let down once, and the game has been amazing for 3 years now. 

Target already had the sticker up, and some gamers at Operation Sports have already gotten the game.

My GameStop says tomorrow, Tuesday 10/2.  I can't wait to play as the Blazers.  We lost Z-Bo last year, so the only go-to player was Brandon Roy.  This year, though, we've got Oden who will be dominating the middle.

Who else is getting the game?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:32:37 AM »

Will be getting it tomorrow, still leery after the godawful demo, but it is the king, and I cannot defect with both my boys getting it. BTW, who the hell is Chris Paul?  icon_wink
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:25:11 AM »

Will be picking this up at lunch at Fry's anybody wanna take on my Suns tomorrow.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:45:13 AM »

This thread title > all others

I'll be picking it up this week...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:53:59 AM »

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, gonna play my Spurs.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:14:44 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on October 02, 2007, 01:25:11 AM

Will be picking this up at lunch at Fry's anybody wanna take on my Suns tomorrow.
Frys having any kind of deal on this? Generally dont by from Frys because I hate their staff, but money saved is money saved.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »

Did'nt see anything in their friday ad.

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »

Picking it up later today, watch out for my Pistons!!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »

From what I've read and seen in video clips, this game is going to be pretty damn great.

I like this short clip:

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1213804622

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »

I'm not really a basketball guy - Why is this better than Live?

Enlighten me!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 02, 2007, 01:22:41 PM

I'm not really a basketball guy - Why is this better than Live?

Enlighten me!

From what I've been made to understand, is that Live is more arcade like, 2k8 is more sim like. Feel to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not exactly an expert.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 02:48:01 PM »

So I should be getting Live, then?

Is this a FIFA vs. Winning 11 thing?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

Quote from: Devil on October 02, 2007, 02:48:01 PM

So I should be getting Live, then?

Is this a FIFA vs. Winning 11 thing?
Try them both and figure it out.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 07:08:33 PM »

No!

I come here for you guys to tell me what to do!!  icon_wink

Seriously though, I played both demo's and they both seem pretty good to me.

I'll grab 2K because everyone else in here is getting it and, other than Lockdown, I trust you guys AND I'll have someone to beat online!  icon_biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »

Played as the Blazers, lost to the Sonics on all-star 53-48.  Was a great game, though.

Sonics shot 56% and I shot 47%.

Kevin Durant is a killer.  Rookie went 16/23 and burned me for 34 points.  Who else do the Sonics have, though biggrin

Oden, Roy and Aldridge brought the wealth of my points.

Now to impressions...

I played 5 minute quarters.  The computer didn't sub once.  Fatigue was on.

The game plays well.  Lock-on D is retarded, as are the cell-phone reception bars.

There's a sports ticker at the bottom below the score during the game which is a nice touch.

Also, if you run a play, it outlines where you need to go, pass it, etc. on the floor, which was really cool.  You can also do an on-the-fly sort of deal, where you can select a player and give him a command (get open, set a screen, post up...and something else).  I was always like, "ODEN, POST UP" and "ROY, COME OFF A SCREEN YOU DEADLY SNIPER YOU!"

Impressions are favorable.  Same great 2k formula.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 07:56:54 PM »

Bought it today, like I do every year.  I'll probably end up trading it when College Hoops comes out, like I do every year.

But I plan on enjoying it until then.  I am really looking forward to digging in.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 08:26:08 PM »

Lost a game against the Suns using the Lake Show, 54-46, on all-star.  I shot 38% to the Suns' 45%.

Kobe went 7/23 frown  Really, when you miss a couple shots in a row, you get ice-cold.

I REALLY like the top 3 plays of the game found in the game wrap-up after a game is completed.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 10:20:13 PM »

Have to say as someone who isn't used to the game play (buttons and such) it wasn't very user friendly. Like a zillion buttons, which I understand is a good thing, but very daunting. I was completely demolished by the Blazers in my first game. 48 to 18 I couldn't score and I sure as hell couldn't rebound, and defend either. Have to say this might take me a long while to get used to, but at least it's pretty.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 12:51:07 AM »

Well, I have some very early initial thoughts....

I played my first game tonight.  After playing about 6 million games of College Hoops, I always forget just how ridiculously fast and stupid looking some of the animations are in the NBA version of these games.  Not to mention, how laughably easy it is to score due to the overpowered offense and lack of defensive play of NBA players.  Of course, that is pretty accurate, so I suppose it's all relative.  The animations still dominate the game too much, and sometimes the players will do their own thing cause it feels like their personal animations supercede my instructions with the controller.  I just fucking hate that the game feels like it was made for 13 year old hyperactive kids.  It's noticeable after playing for about 3 minutes.

Despite the slew of negative comments, this game got so many things right.  The presentation, for one thing, is just flat awesome.  Little things from the minute the game boots up, through the gameplay on the court, to the post game.  The stats and menus look excellent.  The interface is phenomenal.  The thumbpad controls, from coaching options, to defense calling, to player quick checks, to match up settings, is just so well implemented.  The gameplay sliders cover everything a person could want.  The way the team tendencies are shown and the fact that they are editable is superb.   Some of the player stats are excellent, including subtle things like a "hustle" rating for each player.  Post play keeps improving every year.  I could go on and on.  Haven't even gotten to the dynasty options yet - but I'm betting they are totally solid. 

If Visual Concepts moves the bulk of these things over to CH2k8 - I will be ecstatic.  I just hope they bring over some defense and keep the turbo animations with the pro's.

Very early impressions are that a lot of people will love the heck out of this game.  Just cause certain things piss me off doesn't mean the game itself isn't a winner.  With the huge caveat that I've only played one game, I would recommend it to anyone that wants a good pro bball game. 

I'll leave the in depth thoughts to people like TML and Calvin, who will probably play the heck out of it.  But I will be back to report on the Legacy/Dynasty Mode - cause I'll bet that rocks.

LD

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »

So does it play "similar" to last years variety?   I absolutely loved 2K7 and if it's alot of the same, i'm IN.

Also, it runs better than the demo?   Demo was crap to me.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »

It plays very similar.  There are a few tweaks they made that gives it a bit of a different feel.  I like how it moves better, because of a new foot-planting system.  Kinda takes awhile for everybody to get going.

In terms of framerate?  How it looks?  It certainly isn't the prettiest game (the animations are TOP-NOTCH, but there are jaggies galore, and it looks downgraded from 2k7, imo), but it looks okay.  The framerate is better than what we saw in the demo, as far as I know.

TheMissingLink on PSN
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 10:48:11 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 03, 2007, 06:23:54 PM

It plays very similar.  There are a few tweaks they made that gives it a bit of a different feel.  I like how it moves better, because of a new foot-planting system.  Kinda takes awhile for everybody to get going.

In terms of framerate?  How it looks?  It certainly isn't the prettiest game (the animations are TOP-NOTCH, but there are jaggies galore, and it looks downgraded from 2k7, imo), but it looks okay.  The framerate is better than what we saw in the demo, as far as I know.

I think it was a trade off this year a few jaggies for a better framerate the new animations and that new run the play feature are sick. thumbsup

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »

Ok the controls are finally starting to get easier to manage. I'm freaking loving off the ball control, had no idea about it now I got my guys cutting/posting up its great finally won my first game against Cleveland.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 07:32:15 PM »

Quote from: pingwrx on October 03, 2007, 10:48:11 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 03, 2007, 06:23:54 PM

I think it was a trade off this year a few jaggies for a better framerate the new animations and that new run the play feature are sick. thumbsup

The new animations, passes, moves, dunk absolutely are SICK. However-the jaggies are so bad that they make me sick to my stomach. They.are.awful. They made some very questionable decisions in the graphics with 2k8, and some of them have not paid off.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 03:24:39 AM »

The more I play, the more disappointment I find in NBA 2k8.  Instead of varied, dynamic games I found while playing 2k7, I'm finding games to be relatively the same, only with players on either team unable to score on a lay-up. 

The lock-on D doesn't enhance the game in any way, shape or form.  Just let ME manually crouch on defense with the L-trigger.

I don't recall having to shift before taking a charge in 2k7 (pressing B on defense).  This makes it harder than it should be to simply stand in one position.  Instead, I'm guessing where the opponent will go, shifting to that side, when sometimes the offensive player is coming straight at me, and I give them an open lane to the bucket.

The bug/glitch online that makes the first (and sometimes second) free-throw shot in super-hyper speed screams a lack of any adherance to bug-testing.

The fact that after changing gamertags, I encountered a bug that let me intentional foul the other team with no foul called blew my mind.  All sliders were default.  Hell, I intentionally mauled a guy, grabbed the ball and got fouled on the slam.

All the shit we give EA every year really needs to be directed towards 2k sports and this "enhanced" version of 2k7.  I honestly think it's a step backwards in terms of how complacent the team got and their new "features."  I understand when you've found the perfect engine and how you shouldn't mess with it, but please make positive steps in the right direction for 2k9.

I feel like I'm playing the same game, just without soul and without real fluidity this year.

It's still a solid basketball game, a respectable 8.5/10 over here, but don't take my $60 next year with a mere roster update and a few new razzle-dazzle features.  Make it a better basketball game!!  The same clipping, the same pre-canned animations, make it better next year PLEASE.

That said, the silky framerate online this year is nice (as opposed to chop-fest 2k7 online).

And the beginner lobby is broken online.  You can only enter that lobby when you've got a feedback of 247,349,207% or higher (the number if false, but it is in the hundred-millions).  The longer you keep that broken, the more lazy and complacent you appear.

Get your shit together, 2k Sports.

(sorry for rambling post)

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why Chris Paul is going to hop step into my being and eat my soul.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »

Cause he's hungry and your soul is tasty!

LD

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »

My soul is dark and bloated and full of skunked Coors Lite !!!!

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 05, 2007, 02:39:33 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why Chris Paul is going to hop step into my being and eat my soul.

If you're confused why, you've probably already been victimized.

ninja

I think I'm gonna play against NO and see how good he is today biggrin

I keep playing against the Sonics and I keep getting blown up by Durant.  Seriously, the dude can nail a shot ANYWHERE.

And why are the Mavs rated so low?

TheMissingLink on PSN
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 11:16:56 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 05, 2007, 08:52:45 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 05, 2007, 02:39:33 PM

If you're confused why, you've probably already been victimized.

ninja

I think I'm gonna play against NO and see how good he is today biggrin

I keep playing against the Sonics and I keep getting blown up by Durant.  Seriously, the dude can nail a shot ANYWHERE.

And why are the Mavs rated so low?

Because the Mavs have no stars outside of Dirk and a up and coming Josh Howard

PS3-PS4 pingwrx
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2007, 02:12:18 AM »

Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, and Devin Harris are all very strong players - capable of taking a game over.

And I like Diop, personally.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 06, 2007, 02:12:18 AM

Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse, and Devin Harris are all very strong players - capable of taking a game over.

And I like Diop, personally.
Stackhouse couldn't take over a game of pickup grade school basketball. Overrated and over the hill. Did almost nothing in the playoffs. The other players I have no issue with biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2007, 10:31:47 AM »

They've toned down the sweat (which I think was awesome last year) and have made the replays less "special" then last year.  Last year, you'd have a crazy close-up of stuff, now, with the exception of the Sprite Slam Cam, you're seeing an instant replay of the play in a camera very similar to what you're using. 

TheMissingLink on PSN
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 01:30:08 AM »

So now after a few weeks of playing, how is the game holding up? I didn't buy 2K7 last year and 2k7 is now on sale at Target for $10. That is a mighty tempting deal. Is 2k7 superior or is 2k8 truly $50 superior?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 02:13:01 AM »

I vote 2k7 for ten bucks.

According to Calvin, our favorite console series of all time is in trouble as well.

LD

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 02:38:12 AM »

If rosters aren't important to you...then go with 2k7.

2k8 is growing on me.  It is, fundamentally, the same game in nearly every aspect, but it's different.  Really hard to explain.  I don't remember the AI being so incredibly crazy in 2k7.  I was beating the Grizzlies by 19 in the 3rd quarter, and suddenly, none of my lay-ups would fall, open shots would clank, and the AI went lights-out to beat me on a last-second shot.  It was frustrating.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 04:56:39 AM »

Alright, what the heck. For ten bucks I'll get 2k7. I can always approximate the current rosters.

College Hoops is in trouble? This would make me quite sad. Why must good things be messed with? I think developers get into trouble when instead of fixing current problems, they instead try to add new bullet points into their products.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 04:58:24 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 02, 2007, 12:30:52 AM

... This year, though, we've got Oden who will be dominating the middle.

I'm a Blazer fan too. And...  crybaby
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 05:35:46 AM »

At least I can play my fantasies out in 2k8 frown

We'll still be better this year...Webster is playing like a MAN and Roy's injury, hopefully, won't nag all season long.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 10:04:03 PM »

Ok, I'm very late to this party.  I picked up 2k8 today and I'm getting destroyed even on the easy difficulty level.  Suggestions are welcome.

1.  My guys miss a shitload of close-in shots.
2.  I can't seem to complete the penetration to the bucket.  I get about 10 feet out, want to start the layup and they stop-and-pop and inevitably miss.
3.  My defense sucks and even the crappiest 3-point shooter makes them if I'm more than dick-length away from them on defense.

I'll probably end up liking the game, but the lack of a decent manual SUCKS.  That's an instant 10% off the gamescore right there - without decent directions I can't figure out how to play the frickin' game in the first place.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: