http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:49:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NBA 2k7 broke my 360 & my 360 knocked over my cup of coffee (2nd stain)  (Read 1156 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »

After playing the NBA 07 demo for the PS3, I got the hankering to dust off my copy of NBA 2k7 for the 360 and play a quick game.

So I put the game in, and look, NEAT, an update!  I DL the update (took one second) and then it restarts the console.  I go grab a new cup of coffee and by the time I'm getting back, the game has put itself into demo mode.  And then it freezes up.  The screen looks all weird.

So I restart the 360 and bam, I get the 3 red rings.

And I'm sorta like "well, shit." since this is an OLD 360 that I got from a trader here a looong time ago (so no receipt).  And I look at our forum to see what I do and I find a site about finding out EXACTLY what's wrong with your 360, so I go through the process of doing that.  It requires you to push the sync button plus the eject button.  So I do that.

And then the fucking 360 ejects its cd-trey and knocks over my cup of coffee - another coffee stain in the carpet, NICE!

Do I have any options?  Like, will MS accept a UPC from the box?  Or since I have a 360, does that just count me to be within their support boundaries?

So, to recap:

1) I have the 3 red rings with no receipt and an older model Xbox 360.  I don't know if MS will help me.
2) Don't update NBA 2k7.
3) Put your coffee cup on a table or something; don't set it on the ground where a malicious and poorly-constructed console can just randomly open it's cd-trey and knock it over, giving you a second stain on your carpet.

TheMissingLink on PSN
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »

call microsoft they will go by the serial number.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »

Quote from: HankRaptor on March 25, 2007, 11:49:31 AM

That is a relief.

From what I've read, lately, it takes awhile to send the 360 in and get it back.  Anybody familiar with this policy?  I've heard almost a month turn-around time...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »

icon_frown

Sorry man. I hold my breath every single time I update the console or any of the games. It's crazy that something as simple as a patch can brick systems so easily. I mean seriously, wtf Microsoft.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 12:39:42 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 25, 2007, 11:55:17 AM

Quote from: HankRaptor on March 25, 2007, 11:49:31 AM

That is a relief.

From what I've read, lately, it takes awhile to send the 360 in and get it back.  Anybody familiar with this policy?  I've heard almost a month turn-around time...

when my disc tray decided it didnt wanna close again last september,i had to send it for repair via MS...UPS van came and picked it up and within the week i got it back...perhaps it was only because of the disc tray screwing up i dont know...i havent heard it taking a month though

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:36:53 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 25, 2007, 11:55:17 AM

Unless Microsoft has drastically changed things, you're looking at at least a 2 week turnaround. It'll take a few days for the box to show up, then the console has to get there, then they fix it, then they send it back.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:50:03 PM »

Your mileage may vary.  My repair took less than 5 days.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »

Your Xbox 360 was jealous of your new shiny PS3   icon_smile

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »

I was going to say...it's sitting right next to the 360 - can 360's feel?

UPDATE!

I gave it a night to cool off.  I turned it in, it worked.  I put in a game, it worked.  Twenty seconds in, it froze with the same effect as the night previous.  Ooooh, 360, you taunt me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:07:40 PM »

So I played 20 minutes of Castlevania. 

Gonna try popping in another game - maybe it only locks up when I use the cd-drive?

TheMissingLink on PSN
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »

If you think that it was an update from this game maybe you should try to go to the game saves and delete the saves from the folder.  Maybe that will take out that update?

Just a thought don't know if it will work or not

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »

Try flashing the memory.

Mine was gone, repaired and returned in 10 days.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 09:52:32 PM »

Fantastic, I'll try that, thanks ATB biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 11:49:29 PM »

Bummer, sorry to hear you've joined the Red Ring club.  There're plenty of us to keep you company unfortunately.  When I had to send mine in I had a replacement in exactly one week.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 12:06:30 PM »

My second X360 just went on me yesterday morning.  My son went to play NHL 2K7 and it froze.  After a reboot, the dreaded 3 red rings.  Since this is my second X360, I wisely bought the 1yr warranty at Gamestop so it was no problem.  I brought it back yesterday afternoon and got a new one.  My second X360 lasted only 7 months.  My first (launch one) lasted almost 10 months.  I did not get the warranty again since I plan on picking up the new X360 Elite model when it comes out.  I blame it on two things:  dust (alot of it in my house) and playing the damn thing every single night without a break.  All in all it was like I was never gone!  icon_lol  It doesn't really bother me.  I got my first launch X360 repaired by Microsoft for free and the turnaround was really quick and had it back in about a week.  I gave that one to my son to take home.  It is still working absolutely fine.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »

Dude, sorry to hear about your 360-is that what you called me about? I totally forgot to call you back and didn't hear from you on IM so I figured you got busy-send me a msg from work today and let me know how its working!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:28 PM »

You're lucky.  I hear that the EA NBA game will get your dog pregnant.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:53 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on March 26, 2007, 12:06:30 PM

I did not get the warranty again since I plan on picking up the new X360 Elite model when it comes out.

You should've gotten it for exactly that reason. You could've taken your 'broken' 360 back and traded it towards the Elite model. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: