http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name a game you love that gets zero respect  (Read 5009 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007, 04:43:37 PM »

Quote from: Laner on June 06, 2007, 04:41:30 PM

E.T.

I enjoyed it as a kid, and no amount of anonymous internet folk are going to convince me I wasn't having fun back then smile

I got your back bro!  E.T. ROCKED!!!  dude headbang dude

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 04:55:32 PM »

Not only did I really enjoy ET (and finish it many, many times), but I also loved the Indiana Jones game.
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

I will also put in a vote for Advent Rising. I didn't have terribly high hopes, but the story captivated me and the gameplay was solid. I hope they release the sequels as well.

Another often overlooked gem is Outcast. I really loved that game. I thought the graphics were great, the music was excellent, and there was so much to do. I was pretty disappointed that the sequel was canned.

Beyond Good & Evil is another game that never got the attention it deserved. Easily one of the best games I have ever played. I wished it was longer, but while it lasted it was a lot of fun.

Granada! Easily my favorite shooter and I would gladly download it on the Wii VC.

Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis version) is another great game that fell by the wayside.

Here are a few other Genesis games that are overlooked: Zoom, Landstalker, and Ristar.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »

Fallout: Tactics! (in turn based mode)

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 05:20:53 PM »

Magic The Gathering, maybe? I _really_ loved that game.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile! ©
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on June 06, 2007, 04:55:32 PM

Not only did I really enjoy ET (and finish it many, many times), but I also loved the Indiana Jones game.

I remember that one, great game!  you had to use both controllers-  I can only think of one other 2600 game that needed that-  Riddle of the Sphinx (or something like that).

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »

Quote from: JSL on June 06, 2007, 04:59:15 PM

Beyond Good & Evil is another game that never got the attention it deserved. Easily one of the best games I have ever played. I wished it was longer, but while it lasted it was a lot of fun.

BG&E was my first thought as well.  I didn't list it because it got a ton of critical praise IIRC.  It was just the unfortunate victim of bad timing and horrid marketing.

Sucks that we'll never get to see a continuation of the story.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on June 06, 2007, 11:42:52 AM

Advent Rising (Xbox)

I've ALWAYS wanted to play this one...gotta check if it's backwards compatible...

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 06, 2007, 05:40:24 PM

BG&E was my first thought as well.  I didn't list it because it got a ton of critical praise IIRC.  It was just the unfortunate victim of bad timing and horrid marketing.

Sucks that we'll never get to see a continuation of the story.  frown

I still hold out hope.  Also, BG&E really did get a lot of respect.  I don't recall anyone saying they didn't like the game, but recall the game being almost universally loved.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on June 06, 2007, 05:54:55 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on June 06, 2007, 11:42:52 AM

Advent Rising (Xbox)

I've ALWAYS wanted to play this one...gotta check if it's backwards compatible...

sadly, it's not.  although i did find and play the pc version a while back before i gave it away. 

i always loved the twinsen games relentless and twinsen's odyssey.  great, quirky, oddball french designed platformer-adventure with some of my favorite music of all time.  the first somehow sold enough to warrant a sequel, but not a third.

i should see if they run on xp now.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »

Yeah, Beyond Good & Evil is praised plenty...including by me!  A really enjoyable game with nearly zero faults, to be honest.  They even managed to break free of the "inserting-sneaking-into-games-equates-bad-games" stigma.  Prop-a-gan-DA...

People just shit on La Pucelle: Tactics :*(   It's sad.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »

Advent Rising is on Steam for $14.95, which is really tempting...but hot damn, a 3.4 GHz processing is recommended?  I hardly meet the minimum at 2.0 GHz!  It's a shame.

TheMissingLink on PSN
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 06, 2007, 06:30:39 PM

sadly, it's not.  although i did find and play the pc version a while back before i gave it away. 

i always loved the twinsen games relentless and twinsen's odyssey.  great, quirky, oddball french designed platformer-adventure with some of my favorite music of all time.  the first somehow sold enough to warrant a sequel, but not a third.

i should see if they run on xp now.

I played the PC version as well. It was perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard.

There may still be hope for a new Little Big Adventure:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/01/twinsen_to_get_little_big_agai.php

I never finished the 2nd one, but I thought it was really well done. It was also pretty difficult.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2007, 07:02:20 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on June 06, 2007, 03:49:13 PM

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb had a number of technical glitches, but if you could get past that it was a really fun game that was completely dismissed by critics. It had a great brawling system, solid platforming and interesting puzzles, but almost as importantly, it really captured the feel of the Indiana Jones series. It's rare when a movie-licensed game really keeps the spirit of the franchise and I'm mystified why it didn't get more attention.

Agreed. My wife bought me for this for Xmas for XB1. It was fabulous!  thumbsup
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »

I wish Indiana Jones would get on the BC list for the 360.  My Xbox is put away, and I never quite finished it.  Great game, though.  The punches felt just right.  And I loved never moving on without finding Indy's hat.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2007, 07:32:56 PM »

I will also put in a vote for Advent Rising. I didn't have terribly high hopes, but the story captivated me and the gameplay was solid. I hope they release the sequels as well.

Where were all you Advent Rising supporters when everyone here was trashing this game?   icon_razz  icon_wink

Unfortunately, there will be no sequels even though it was a planned trilogy.  The original creator Donald Mustard moved on to form his own company after leaving Majesco.  I believe Majesco stills owns the rights to the game and they are too busy making crap dinky games now for cell phones and such.  Majesco has gone "low budget".

Orson Scott Card created one hell of an engrossing story for this game.  He managed to pull my emotions in several different directions.  One particular scene tore at my heart strings something fierce and I remember sitting there just staring at the tv for what seemed like an eternity before I lifted the joystick to continue, with a heavy heart indeed.

I want to play this over again on the PC but I'm too annoyed that I know I won't be seeing any sequels.  And for those of you who have played the game through to the ending and the "after credits" ending, know that is a tease we are probably not willing to go through again.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
depward

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2007, 07:44:56 PM »

You know what game demands respect?  Windjammers for the NEOGEO.  One of the most fun games I've played.  Would be PERFECT for a Xbox Live, PSN or Virtual Console title.  But noOoOoOoO

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 06, 2007, 07:44:56 PM

You know what game demands respect?  Windjammers for the NEOGEO.  One of the most fun games I've played.  Would be PERFECT for a Xbox Live, PSN or Virtual Console title.  But noOoOoOoO

Your wish might be granted as they are releasing Neo Geo games on the VC later this year.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »

Quote from: JSL on June 06, 2007, 07:52:31 PM

Your wish might be granted as they are releasing Neo Geo games on the VC later this year.

Really...when was that announced? I've heard mention of that before, but I thought it was only a flippant rumor. If it's now been confirmed that's fantastic!! Fatal Fury would be a nice VC addition and SF:3rd Strike with a classic controller would be sweet indeed!

[Edit] Which in keeping with the theme of this thread, leads me to say that 3rd Strike is a far too unappreciated SF game. By far my favorite in the entire SF series.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:09:02 PM by kronovan » Logged
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2007, 08:06:18 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 06, 2007, 08:01:35 PM

Quote from: JSL on June 06, 2007, 07:52:31 PM

Really...when was that announced? I've heard mention of that before, but I thought it was only a flipent rumor. If it's now been confirmed that's fantastic!! Fatal Fury would be a nice VC addition and SF:3rd Strike with a classic controller would be sweet indeed!

Yep, it has been confirmed:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/781/781316p1.html

I doubt the metal slug games will be released as they are in the compilation, although if they added classic controller support...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

one more:

monster hunter: freedom

spent over 100 hours playing it, more hours than with ffxii, dqviii, or anything else i can think of, & pretty much enjoyed myself the whole time. unbelievably frustrating at times, equally rewarding at others. beautifully done, challenging, & weirdly (for a game where you're hunting dragons) realistic...

the game got slammed for, load-times (kinda frequent, but reasonable), poor controls (like a number of psp games, not so much bad as just different, &, i found, pretty doable), & lack of true multiplayer (tho there is a work-around available), but none of the above prevented me from having as much fun with it as i've had with just about anything else i've played in the last few years (&, if i had to pick one psp game to own, it'd be it)... 

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:49 PM »

Quote from: javahead on June 06, 2007, 05:20:53 PM

Rock on dude.  This one I replayed over and over and over just to mix up my deck combo.  They really should sequel this one.  I loved the overworld map and dungeons... etc.

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:33 PM »

I always thought that 1nsane deserved more attention.  It was a PC offroad racing game with all sorts of super fun multiplayer modes like capture the flag, king of the hill and gate rally that I haven't seen adapted in other racing games.  It also had everything from ATVs to rally cars and trophy trucks that had real-time deformation and a random map generator. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007, 12:03:18 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 06, 2007, 11:32:33 PM

I always thought that 1nsane deserved more attention.  It was a PC offroad racing game with all sorts of super fun multiplayer modes like capture the flag, king of the hill and gate rally that I haven't seen adapted in other racing games.  It also had everything from ATVs to rally cars and trophy trucks that had real-time deformation and a random map generator. 

one of the things i loved about this one was the random demo races you could see if you waited on the title screen.  they were playable!!!  if you hit enter during the screen, you could use a car you hadn't unlocked yet.  seems like a crazy idea, but it was effing cool. 

so much fun with that one. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
unbreakable
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2007, 01:16:35 AM »

Quote from: Jack Burton on June 06, 2007, 09:35:49 PM

Quote from: javahead on June 06, 2007, 05:20:53 PM

Rock on dude.  This one I replayed over and over and over just to mix up my deck combo.  They really should sequel this one.  I loved the overworld map and dungeons... etc.

Oh yeah.  I can't figure out why we have to put up with shitty card games like YuGiOh, when the best one is sitting there without any current games.  And they keep cranking out those damn YuGiOh games too, so there has to be money in it.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2007, 02:27:24 AM »

Psi-Ops

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

Fable. I mean, it got good reviews, but nearly everyone around the 'net trashes the game when brought up in discussion. I, for one, really liked it.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2007, 02:56:03 AM »

I loved Fable as well.

I have a question, and maybe it doesn't matter, but are we talking about games that didn't sell well or games that have bad word of mouth?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2007, 03:02:47 AM »

I also enjoyed Fable quite a bit and I am excited for Fable 2.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2007, 03:07:01 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2007, 02:56:03 AM

I loved Fable as well.

I have a question, and maybe it doesn't matter, but are we talking about games that didn't sell well or games that have bad word of mouth?

yes smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2007, 05:55:03 AM »

Wow, there are a lot for me.  I just have to accept that my tastes aren't mainstream.

The first that came to mind was Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising.  Even ignoring how great it was that the game was narrated by Tom Baker, I had a blast playing through it.  It was at times shooter, RTS, and puzzle games.  It had a pretty cool story towards the end.

On the console side, everyone always hates Star Wars: Masters of the Teras Kasi.  I thought a Star Wars fighting game was pretty cool.  I had a lot of fun with it.  Sure Darth Vader is overpowered, but how is that wrong?

One of my favorite games that no one even remembers is Heart of Darkness for the Playstation.  It was a simple shooter/platformer, but it perfectly captured a little boys imagination.  It made me feel like I was a kid again.  That's priceless.

I have a bunch more, R.A.D., Breakdown, Shadow Company, Gladius, Majesty and Independence War 2.  I could probably come up with more if I kept thinking about it.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 07, 2007, 05:55:03 AM

Wow, there are a lot for me.  I just have to accept that my tastes aren't mainstream.

The first that came to mind was Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising.  Even ignoring how great it was that the game was narrated by Tom Baker, I had a blast playing through it.  It was at times shooter, RTS, and puzzle games.  It had a pretty cool story towards the end.

Written by Warren Ellis IIRC.  I've always regretted not playing that one when it came around.
I have a bunch more, R.A.D., Breakdown, Shadow Company, Gladius, Majesty and Independence War 2.  I could probably come up with more if I kept thinking about it.

I'd probably quibble that some of those get lots of respect, if not sales, especially I-War 2.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on June 07, 2007, 02:27:24 AM

Psi-Ops

Uh yup.  That was a fun game.  Not perfect, but it was a lot of fun.  Hope it some day sees a sequel.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »

I like Black & White and Black & White 2.  *gasps with horror*

I also like Silent Storm.

xbox live: nude rick james
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »

The Phantagram answer to the DW series was underrated (Ninety Nine Nights).

Amped 3 was also another fun game that due to its glitzy-retardo-edge theme rotted the public to it.

XB1 - Phantom Dust, MechAssault2, and Fable fer sher. I'll second Gladius, and give a big shout out to the KOEI Dynasty Warriors (2+, incl. Empires) and even the Samurai Warriors ones. Fun, Fun, Fun.

PC - Definately the Black and White series. I enjoyed muchly. I don't remember how popular the Crusader series were, but that was one franchise I wish they'd kept alive.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2007, 01:37:05 PM

The Phantagram version of it was also understated (Ninety Nine Nights).

Amped 3 was also another fun game that due to its glitzy-retardo theme rotted the public to it.

XB1 - Phantom Dust, MechAssault2, and Fable fer sher. I'll second Gladius, and give a big shout out to the KOEI Dynasty Warriors (2+, incl. Empires) and even the Samurai Warriors ones. Fun, Fun, Fun.

PC - Definately the Black and White series. I enjoyed muchly. I don't remember how popular the Crusader series were, but that was one franchise I wish they'd kept alive.

Did Gladius really not get much respect?  I loved that game, thoght it sold pretty well.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »

It always seemed like the girl that never got asked to dance.

CeeKay knows how that feels. Doncha buddy? Yeah, you had it tough...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on June 07, 2007, 02:00:56 PM

It always seemed like the girl that never got asked to dance.

CeeKay knows how that feels. Doncha buddy? Yeah, you had it tough...

yeah, beat the crap out of four guys in 9th grade and suddenly everyone is afraid of you  Roll Eyes

I loved Fable on the first playthrough, but I've never been able to get back into it since.  I have the Lost Chapters sitting right here.... maybe this weekend I'll try again.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on June 07, 2007, 02:39:04 AM

Fable. I mean, it got good reviews, but nearly everyone around the 'net trashes the game when brought up in discussion. I, for one, really liked it.

I liked aspects of it, but a lot of it was kind of boring.  I think had it not been for Molyneux's unlimited hype machine, people wouldn't have been thinking it was the game to end all games (like each new game Molyneaux works on).

Blast, if I were at home I could post my "Molyn-pwned" pic.  That rocked.

It was a really attractive looking game, however.  I found the game top-notch in the eye candy department.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »

I also really like The Movies.  That doesn't get a lot of acclaim.

xbox live: nude rick james
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: