http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N-gage beats everything out there  (Read 1136 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »

Maybe not everything, but surely it beats something out there.

Anyone else out there have an n-gage? I've had my n-gage QD since the day it came out but have stopped playing games on it. From the tiny screen, to the bad graphics, and to the difficulty adjusting to playing on the phone key numbers.. now I just use it soley as a phone.

The n-gage was a great idea, mp3 player, fm radio (the original anyway), played games both offline and online, was a decent cell phone, could browse the internet.. but not enough people embraced it.
Now Nokia is letting the n-gage die a slow, silent death while not officially pulling the plug on it just yet.
Cingular stores have pulled the n-gages from their shelves. Gamestops have done the same thing - but keep any remaining games and accessories in the back at 50% off. And newer titles - like Xmen Legends II - that were supposed to come out for the n-gage, are nowhere to be seen.

There were some addicting games, like Pocket Kingdoms (really the only MMORPG game on a mobile device) while there were plenty of other games you'd see on consoles, call of duty, bomberman, and supposedly even civilization is coming to the n-gage.

I'm going to miss the n-gage in all honesty, but it just didn't really take off.
At least our n-gages will always serve as a decent phone, right?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:27:34 PM »

NGage=paper weight

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:48:59 PM »

You know, I hated everything about the N-Gage, from design to capabilities and their marketing attitude.

That said, Pocket Kingdoms looked so addictively fun that it came very close to tempting me to find the device on the cheap JUST so I could play that game.  I can't help it, I'm a sucker for games like that.  biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:56:13 PM »

I have both a taco and a QD. The taco has a stupid design, but it has good phone sound quality and is a decent MP3 player. I put all my daughter's favorite songs on it and we listen to it in the car. If she insists on listening to a song when we get out, it has a decent-enough speaker for that. I've put a few Dora episodes on the memory card, also. I use the QD when I go out of town. Some of the games are pretty good, if they appeared on the GBA they would get more praise. I think one of its gaming problems is that it tried to use its higher processing power for 3D games, when a better cell-phone gaming experience is with simpler 2D and puzzle games.

Edit: corruptrelic, you like the N-Gage but hate the DS?  :shock:

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 10:01:54 PM »

You know, I'd love to see a version of Pocket Kingdoms (or a very similar game) release on the DS.

PLEASE!  PLEASE!  SOMEBODY OUT THERE DO THIS!

slywink

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 10:39:39 PM »

I don't hate the DS or even love the n-gage for that matter. Just don't care for the DS because of it's bad graphics and lack of games that catch my interest. (Games like GTA, SOCOM, or really any first person shooters)
At least with the n-gage, I use it as my normal cell phone. Set the alarm on it every once in a while, play a game when I'm on a plane or on a road trip and just bored.
The DS is only a gaming system, it can't do anything else. The graphics on it aren't much better than the N-gage. (Which also claims to be able to do "true 3d")

When I was playing pocket kingdoms I have to admit it's addictive. Only problem is you have to pay your cell phone provider for internet service. Was paying around $24 a month for unlimited internet. Used non-stop instant messages, checked emails, and of course, played a few n-gage games on the arena - pocket kingdoms definitely needs to come to other systems.
If the DS could at least browse the web or something, it'd be a decent system. I know the "pc is right around the corner" but in my case, with all my traveling, these wifi hot spots are great places to check your email.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:27:37 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I don't hate the DS or even love the n-gage for that matter. Just don't care for the DS because of it's bad graphics and lack of games that catch my interest. (Games like GTA, SOCOM, or really any first person shooters)

You know, there's already a DS-bashing thread going, it's called something about the Revolution or something.   :roll:

I was simply saying that Pocket Kingdoms looks like awesome fun, and that I'd love to see it on the DS with wireless capability.  I wonder why?  Maybe because I happen to own a DS and not an N-Gage or PSP?

Good fucking grief, man.  Talk about a thread derailment.  Is it possible for you to see a mention of the DS without going on about how poor its graphics are and how much you don't like the system?  I know I got into a debate with you on this in the Revo thread, but I was keeping that debate there.

Geez.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »

Wow, somebody's got their panties in a twist.
I'll never understand why some people get so personal in a messageboard. It's just text on a computer screen.. relax dude!

I was happening to agree with you - we need pocket kingdoms on another system since the n-gage is slowly dying. It's a great game and I have no idea where you come off getting so personal like that. Hell, my post wasn't even directed at you! Dont even know who you are for that matter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the graphics on the DS suck, plain and simple. This thread isn't being derailed at all (hell I started it, smart guy), someone asked me why I love the N-gage and hate the DS. Don't hate the DS at all, but why should we hide the fact that it's graphics are far from good?
Go take a time out and when you're ready to be an adult, come back and join the discussions.

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 04:06:03 AM »

I've tried the n-gage here and there, but to me, it just felt too much like playing those built in games on my cell phone (well duh)....using the keypad thing just didn't feel right

or maybe I just didnt play it right??
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 04:27:44 AM »

No, you are right it does take some getting used to with the key pad to play games on the n-gage. The directional pad helps some, but remembering which button shoots, which one passes, which one dives, etc. can be tiresome, especially when you are playing multiple games. But it is meant to be a phone, after all.
When it comes to pocket kingdoms though, it's hard to find an alternative on any mobile device that can even come close to being a MMORPG.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 01:40:18 PM »

Its to bad the NGage failed.  I'd love an all in one device, games, music, and phone.  My Treo does okay in this regard.  I'd like to see more companies continue the convergence though, of making phones more then just phones.

What we really need, is for Nintendo to make a phone, then it'd be innovative and unique  biggrin   Kidding smile

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 03:49:52 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Wow, somebody's got their panties in a twist.
I'll never understand why some people get so personal in a messageboard. It's just text on a computer screen.. relax dude!

I was happening to agree with you - we need pocket kingdoms on another system since the n-gage is slowly dying. It's a great game and I have no idea where you come off getting so personal like that. Hell, my post wasn't even directed at you! Dont even know who you are for that matter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the graphics on the DS suck, plain and simple. This thread isn't being derailed at all (hell I started it, smart guy), someone asked me why I love the N-gage and hate the DS. Don't hate the DS at all, but why should we hide the fact that it's graphics are far from good?
Go take a time out and when you're ready to be an adult, come back and join the discussions.

Funny, I was going to tell you the same thing that you put in your last sentence.  When you're ready to actually stick to a topic instead of finding ways to bash the DS (I noticed you spent most of this point repeating your tired overdone complaints yet again, but note that I didn't bash anything in mine) let me know.  Until then I'll participate in actual discussions in the topic.

Also, despite your claim to the contrary, not one person in this thread asked why you hate the DS.

Geez.   :roll:

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Also, despite your claim to the contrary, not one person in this thread asked why you hate the DS.

Well, in all fairness, I did. But it was obviously a rhetorical question.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 07:24:45 PM »

Well, I see where I got mixed up on that; when I read your post, Adamsapple, it hadn't yet been edited to put that question in to Corruptrelics.  So when I read his response later on without re-reading your post, I thought he was just coming out of the blue and ripping into the DS yet again unprovoked.

So for that, I apologize, Corruptrelic.  Had I seen the edit of Adams' post, I would have realized you were actually responding to a question, and wouldn't have had any reason to rant.  I was more frustrated as I was thinking that this was going along as an interesting discussion on the N-Gage, then hijacked into another rant thread on the DS.  slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: