http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 03:48:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery GOG countdown (now general GOG discussion)  (Read 45180 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

I wonder when the next batch of EA classics is going to hit, or if they have another batch coming up.

[edit]  oooooo.... they ahve a press conference coming up on the 22nd.

You want to know what we've cooked up for you? We, GOG.com, will be discussing our performance in 2011 and talking about what’s coming for the rest of 2011, and maybe even hint at some of what’s coming in 2012!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:18:28 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

today they have LANDS OF LORE!!!!

naw, just kidding.  it's only Star Control 3 biggrin

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2011, 02:48:12 PM

You are a $#@$head.  Tongue I'm not sure about SC3. Widely hated as the worst of the series... but I always wanted to go back and finish it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: September 15, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2011, 02:48:12 PM

I hate you so much!  finger

icon_razz
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2011, 11:13:36 PM »

I wish I could shoot murder through the internet.   crybaby

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »

hey, technically it's all Bullwinkle's fault.  he didn't post the update as usual-  if he had I wouldn't have been able to make the joke.  so if you're going to lynch someone, lynch the enabler.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2011, 11:43:38 PM

hey, technically it's all Bullwinkle's fault.  he didn't post the update as usual-  if he had I wouldn't have been able to make the joke.  so if you're going to lynch someone, lynch the enabler.

I blame young Magneto.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »

Ok, the download for the free Ultima IV is 25 megs, but the download for Ultima IV-VI is only 15 megs. Does the free U4 include something extra?

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 20, 2011, 07:16:05 PM »

ARMA: Cold War Assault

GT Link

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »

Hey, I noticed GoG.com got around to a full Q&A (based on community and GoG's own questions) with Crusader dev Tony Zurovec:
http://www.gog.com/en/news/your_questions_about_crusader_answered_by_tony_zurovec
I grew up in the dawn of the videogaming age and saw plenty of extremely fun games created using a third-person perspective. As a result, when computers finally gained enough horsepower that the industry started moving towards the first-person perspective in a large way, I didn’t view it as something that I had to do in order to create a fun game. I saw it as an option. I saw it as something that could yield some gameplay and visual positives but which would also inflict a lot of very large negatives. As but one of many examples, a first-person perspective would have meant that Crusader’s 640x480 high resolution pre-rendered detail would have had to have been sacrificed for huge 320x200 or 320x240 pixels, ridiculously simplistic polygonal shapes, and incredibly low resolution textures.
From a marketing perspective, those technological decisions – third-person perspective, CD-ROM, SVGA - were all taking me in the wrong direction and limiting my potential audience. I heard that many, many times throughout development. I persisted because rather than try and guess what other people might want, I just kept steering towards what I personally found appealing, and then hoped that there were more people like me.
No Regret was almost as rushed as the original. The original game had a development timeline of 16-18 months (depending upon whether you mark the start from when I began working on the initial story and pitching the concept or when I was approved to recruit my first team member.) I wanted a similar development timeline for No Regret but Origin management wanted a new game for the following Christmas. Thus, I was only given ten months - a September 1996 deadline. As a result of the short timeline, I fought with marketing about the title and – thanks to the original’s success - got my way. They had wanted to label No Regret as “Crusader II: No Regret”.

I didn’t think that the short timeline would allow for enough innovation to justify the full-blown sequel label. I wanted to reserve the “II” designation for a game that would be able to incorporate some other significant enhancements – external environments, detailed AI activities like the ones that I had implemented for Ultima VII, lighting, interplanetary travel (which would allow for more exotic locations), et cetera. Starting with a working engine for No Regret allowed the game to be refined and improved in dozens of different ways but, in the end, I still viewed it as Crusader 1.5 – well, knowing me, more like Crusader 1.6 - rather than 2.0.
The No Regret strategy guide included some early concept art for a Crusader: No Mercy game that didn't happen.

He goes into some detail on that (which will just convince you EA is The Evil Empire Incarnate, if you didn't already feel that way):
The primary reason why Crusader II was never completed was because I was personally promised by a senior Origin executive – before official development on the first game ever started – that I would receive royalties based upon the game’s profitability. After a year and a half of extremely hard work, the game sold far better than expected and, for many months after its release, I was repeatedly assured by Origin’s top management that the royalties would be forthcoming. As I neared completion of the next title in the series, I began to grow impatient with the stalling and pushed for a resolution.

It eventually fell to one of EA’s top executives to inform me that Origin management didn’t have the authority to make such promises and that EA wouldn’t honor it. Instead, the EA executive said, all that they could offer me was a new block of options that would vest over a four-year period. I said that rather than accept that offer – which was dramatically inferior - that I’d be leaving the company after I finished No Regret. Leaving Origin was one of the hardest things that I’ve ever done – it had felt like a home – but there was no way that I was going to support such a betrayal with more of my life.

Crusader was a wildly profitable franchise – it had the highest return on invested capital of any non-mission-disk Origin title – and thus Origin tried to replace me after I left in order to keep the series going. That wasn’t as easy as they thought, though, because I filled many different roles on Crusader – creator of the original fiction, architect of the primary gameplay innovations, producer, director, lead programmer, designer, and writer to name a few. Over the next couple of years Origin made three separate attempts to produce another Crusader but each was eventually terminated due to a lack of progress and vision. I was always quite happy that they didn’t manage to produce another Crusader because I think that they’d have totally screwed up its legacy.

So…do I think that you’ll ever see another Crusader? No.
I guess Zurovec probably gets no royalties on GoG sales, so it seems rather classy of him to agree to an interview, even if he sounds bitter at times.

I promise at some point to get some titles at GoG, still haven't taken the plunge.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:55:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 22, 2011, 11:31:05 AM »

Great interview.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »

no new release today but the press conference starts at noon EST today, with the promise of surprises.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 22, 2011, 11:31:05 AM

Great interview.
Yeah. The sad thing is, I played a a demo of an indy game he worked on several years ago and came away very disappointed. I don't know if time passed him by, or not having Origin's resources affected him, but it didn't "feel" like a Tony Zurovec game.

For me, the Alien Breed games last year came closest to giving me some Crusader memories, but some of the camera-angle issues (taking them out of player control for more dramatic, Resident Evil-style camera views in many places) marred it for many, and I think that turned a lot of people off it that would've loved it it it was more of a fixed isometric view as in Crusader or Diablo. While I think the world would've become FPS-fixated sooner or later, I do fondly remember the brief mid 1990s glory days of Crusader-Diablo-Fallout where it seemed like PC gaming would become isometric fixated instead (I guess I'd consider stuff like X-COM and Syndicate/Syndicate Wars isometric too).

I jotted a list in my iPod Touch of stuff I want to GoG purchase soon...
-Crusader: No Regret
-Fallout
-Panzer General II
-Giants: Citizen Kabuto
*I think I still have all these, just can't get 'em working in Vista 64-bit, and in some cases not in XP. I think i was able to get Crusader working via DOS Box a few years ago, though I recall some technical glitches (hmmm, I guess GoG version also uses DOS Box, so I should keep that in mind...)

I'm thinking I probably should've dropped $30 or whatever on these last night instead of a Bunch of Heroes 4-pack on Steam. I'll try to rectify that soon.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:38:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

looking at their forums looks like once they hit 6 million downloads Broken Sword Directors cut will be free.  also, 6 millionth download will win all the games in their catalog.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 23, 2011, 02:57:18 AM »

Holy CRAP! I didn't know Incubation and its expansion was wrapped into the Battle Isle Platinum pack!  icon_smile
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/battle_isle_platinum

I was a big fan, and ran a fan site (Geo's Incubation Site) for several years. I used to e-mail with a couple of the devs (Wolfgang Walk and Lars Hammer) in Germany, and I think they sent me a complimentary copy of the Wilderness Missions expansion (I should've asked for some autographs). I don't think I was able to get it working on XP, something like that. Definitely going on my wish list.

Lot of my friends thought it was too "puzzledy," but I loved the mix of turn-based tactical and the then new 3-D gore. It was pretty fun in co-op too although it could take forever to get through a battle. I used to play with a guy I knew from another forum. He passed away some time ago of stomach cancer. The only real memories I could share was playing Incubation co-op with him (on dial-up, circa about 1998).

*I just played the free JA: Deadly Games... OMG! MY EYES! They weren't meant to see CGA graphics or whatever that was. Oh good grief... I need to go soak my eyeballs....  icon_eek
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:05:58 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 27, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »

B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th

GT Link

Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »

bg 2 and icewind dale 2 this weekend..

Got bad addicted to bg 2 again, ugh...   staying up late. 
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 27, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 27, 2011, 01:03:43 PM

Nice! Will definitely be playing this one! I have to relearn the controls before doing my 25 mission tour of duty though.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »

Sim City 2000 SE

GT Link

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »

POD Gold

GT Link

I loved POD back in the day. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 09, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

Little Big Adventure coming?

Because I can,
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 09, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »

Sometimes, I just want to click a button on gog that says :  "Buy all"  and be done with it...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 09, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

LBA would be cool, and it does remind me of that, but why is his hair made of balls?  Also, I don't really remember kicks like that, but it has been a long time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »

LBA it is.

Little Big Adventure

GT Link

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 12, 2011, 12:23:29 AM »

Both those games were a lot of fun but damn tough. Wish GoG bundled both of them together. May wait till they add the 2nd one and get'em on sale.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »

Darklands

GT Link

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 13, 2011, 02:58:40 PM

OMG!!! OUTSTANDING!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on October 09, 2011, 01:55:53 PM

Sometimes, I just want to click a button on gog that says :  "Buy all"  and be done with it...

No kidding!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »

Jesus, Darklands. I think I still have the original box and 7 or 8 odd 3.5 disks for it. I remember it being a buggy mess and getting frustrated with it. Did those bugs ever get squashed?

Now they just need to get Knights of Legend. It might actually run well on current systems.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on October 13, 2011, 05:57:39 PM

Now they just need to get Knights of Legend. It might actually run well on current systems.

Oh man, I remember playing that game for countless hours on our Apple IIGS in the basement with my stepbrother and friends.  Aah, the good ol' days.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 13, 2011, 06:23:55 PM

Quote from: Crawley on October 13, 2011, 05:57:39 PM

Oh man, I remember playing that game for countless hours on our Apple IIGS in the basement with my stepbrother and friends.  Aah, the good ol' days.  smile

I still have it: original box, disks and all.  Bought it when it was new, played it for an hour and put it aside thinking, "I'll play this when I really have the time to devote to it."  Still waiting....
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »

I either had Knights of Legend on the C64 or //e. It ran so slow since it was accessing the disk just about any time you did something or it kept prompting you to swap disks - almost unplayable. It was horrible since I could see there was a meaty RPG there to play. If GoG got it I'd likely get it.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »

The description of Darklands sounds fun, but the graphics are horrible by today's standards.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2011, 04:14:44 AM »

Quote from: KC on October 14, 2011, 12:22:36 AM

The description of Darklands sounds fun, but the graphics are horrible by today's standards.

Shocker.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »

Funnily enough, I actually seemed to remember them as being worse, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I remember playing that and Wizards Crown pretty extensively at the same time, so I may have mixed them up a bit in my head.

A new one
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 14, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »

Oh man. Wizards Crown was great strategy/rpg but brutally difficult. I remember my characters bleeding all the time and needing a whole lot of bandages. And I seem to recall losing battles because I didn't purchase enough bandages to fix my guys up. Brutal. 

Would probably give Wizards Crown another shot. Never did get the sequel for some reason. That was such a great time in computer gaming for RPGs.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 14, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »

Hell yeah - I loved that game, but yes, brutal brutal hardcore death, maiming and oh gods the bleeding :-D

The combat system was kinda a precursor to the TSR gold box rpgs like Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure bonds....which, I have.

hmm, I wonder how fun they are today?

Honestly, while I love Wizards crown, I doubt I could play it today

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death

Also, the original trilogy is 50% Off

GT Link

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »

Well, that was fast.

Little Big Adventure 2

GT Link

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 20, 2011, 06:05:07 PM »

Heh, one of the LBA2 screen caps shows a game crossover. Has the guy from Time Commando (loved that game to).
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: