http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 09:53:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/iOS/Android] Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions  (Read 9151 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 04, 2012, 01:39:16 AM

Shapeshifter? Stalker? I don't remember that back when I used to play BG1. Are these kits out of the expansions, or is this all new stuff?
Most of the big BG1 mods add in the BG2 classes and kits, along with the BG2 UI.  BGEE adds in the classes and kits.  The potential downside to playing a BG2 class/kit in BG1 is that it may end up being a cakewalk.  One of the Druid kits called a Totemic Druid has a class ability that summons a creature at level 1 that can't be harmed by normal weapons.  That would make the first part of BG1 easy.   
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 04, 2012, 02:37:24 PM

Playing on the pc version it seems similar to a modded BGTutu experience.  You get some new npcs and a new fighting arena (Black Pits) with BGEE.  I've done the full mod install before, and I'd rather just fire up BGEE at this point. 

This was my thinking as well.  Plus this will be the defacto standard for modding going forward.  I still have the disappearing mouse cursor when in full mode issue but they have posted a fix for that (turn of mouse hardware acceleration).  They also came out with a temp fix to the .ini to fix the blurry low res icons.  Other then the above the only issue I had was one crash to desktop after dying.  That is after about 8 hours of play, albeit 6 of those were working the reroll button while making character builds.

morlac00 on PSN
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

iOS version released today, just downloaded it and created an Archer.  Touch screen seems like a great way to play the game in the few minutes I've had.  
KC

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on December 07, 2012, 09:15:02 PM

iOS version released today, just downloaded it and created an Archer.  Touch screen seems like a great way to play the game in the few minutes I've had.  

Is this playable on an Ipad1?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:45 AM »

"Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS 6.0 or later."

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:03 AM »

Quote from: KC on December 08, 2012, 12:41:23 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on December 07, 2012, 09:15:02 PM

iOS version released today, just downloaded it and created an Archer.  Touch screen seems like a great way to play the game in the few minutes I've had. 

Is this playable on an Ipad1?

Sources I've seen say no. It requires ios6, which apparently doesn't play with the original iPad.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2012, 01:18:03 AM »

One of the devs posted that the goal is to get it to work on the iPad 1, but they have to fix a memory issue first.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »

The interface is taking some getting used to, mostly moving the chars when I'm just trying to scroll the map.  Combat targeting is a bit touchy (see what I did there?) as you have to touch the small red circle under the enemy, it can be hard to tell if you have set up the attack.  I'm sure it will become easier as I get used to the new way of playing the game.

Did have a couple of bugs, in Candlekeep I couldn't get into a hut that I was supposed to clear of rats and a barracks that I also couldn't enter even after opening the door and trying to walk inside, I did get into the barracks a bit later on using the same things as when I failed earlier.  Also had a couple of conversations that seemed to freeze for awhile before moving on.

Still having a blast playing it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »

I decided to start a new game to see if I still couldn't get into those areas I had issues with, seems it may just have been the difficulty using the touch Interface as I managed to get into the rat house after a few try's so not a bug but just the way the game is.
dobberhd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »

My impression is that it works really well with the touch interface.  Back in 1998 the interface was a bit clunky even with a mouse.  The touch interface makes it a little less clunky imo.

That being said, it is Baldur's Gate.  The game is the same (with a few extra joinable npcs.)  Finally something with depth to play on an iPad.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

I wonder if the success of this will convince Obsidian to put Eternity on iOS?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »

Played through the tutorial on iPad, and I'm not crazy about the touch interface so far.  When things get crowded with 6 party members and multiple enemies, it gets really hard to target a specific enemy, even when zoomed all the way in (which looks like crap, BTW).

Might just grab the PC version and go that route instead.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »

I'm working my way through Beregost right now and I've had very little trouble controlling the action. The wonkier part is going through doors, but I've sort of learned the sweet spot for that. Otherwise, I've been enjoying the game without thinking about the controls too much at all. For the record, I thought the tutorial was harder than the actual game in controlling the characters.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »

Does anyone know what Android OS this will require? My aging Android device only has a single CPU running OS 2.3.6. Of course the resources on it are beyond what the original PC games required, but this being an update has me wondering?
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 09, 2012, 07:27:16 PM

Does anyone know what Android OS this will require? My aging Android device only has a single CPU running OS 2.3.6. Of course the resources on it are beyond what the original PC games required, but this being an update has me wondering?

I think they did mention that it was tablet only, so it may require honeycomb at least

tapatalkin'

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »

Like others I have found the hardest part is locating the sweet spot for the door.  I will often open a door, touch inside it and my people will walk to that place - sometimes obscured! - but not trigger the transition to the new room.  That is just silly.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on December 10, 2012, 06:22:26 AM

Quote from: kronovan on December 09, 2012, 07:27:16 PM

I think they did mention that it was tablet only, so it may require honeycomb at least

tapatalkin'

Cool, thanks for the info. That would rule out my device, so I guess I'll look to getting it for PC.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

Hopefully they will put some kind of door/exit UI feedback into the tablet versions, since it seems like a very common complaint.

The PC version has been working well for me.  They've already done 3 updates, all of which updated seamlessly through the launcher after clicking "Update".  My biggest challenge has been relearning all of the D&D BG rules and class nuances.  It's funny how it's all coming back though.  I remember researching all of the same things when I was playing the original.  Single class versus multiclass versus dual class.  How they all work.  How the level cap impacts each class archtype differently, and multiclass differently.  

I remember playing a multiclass character for my first BG experience, only to be frustrated because while it sounded good in theory, leveling up slower than the rest of my party started getting frustrating.  Also, BG1 doesn't allow most character classes to really shine with a level cap of 8 or 9.  But once I was able to import my multiclass character into BG2, that's when he started to really take off.  I'm keeping that in mind this time around.  

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:25:50 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on December 10, 2012, 08:24:00 PM

Hopefully they will put some kind of door/exit UI feedback into the tablet versions, since it seems like a very common complaint.

The PC version has been working well for me.  They've already done 3 updates, all of which updated seamlessly through the launcher after clicking "Update".  My biggest challenge has been relearning all of the D&D BG rules and class nuances.  It's funny how it's all coming back though.  I remember researching all of the same things when I was playing the original.  Single class versus multiclass versus dual class.  How they all work.  How the level cap impacts each class archtype differently, and multiclass differently.  

I've still got all of my 2nd Ed rulebooks

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »

Spent a couple hours with this last night, and think I'm starting to get the hang of the touch controls.  Odd that things in the tutorial feel so much more difficult than they do in-game.

Still really struggling with the rulesets though.  Going to have to do some serious research to recall those.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 11, 2012, 01:05:08 PM

Spent a couple hours with this last night, and think I'm starting to get the hang of the touch controls.  Odd that things in the tutorial feel so much more difficult than they do in-game.

Still really struggling with the rulesets though.  Going to have to do some serious research to recall those.
This site was really helpful for me.  Lots of good info, and even some thoughts and opinions about the classes and kits.  Don't be afraid of the url address, it's a real site.

http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur%27s_Gate
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

What the heck...there are no Mage kits in Baldur's Gate, but they have them for all the other classes? What gives? I was thinking a Militant Wizard might be a lot of fun.

Quote from: Roguetad on December 11, 2012, 07:31:52 PM

This site was really helpful for me.  Lots of good info, and even some thoughts and opinions about the classes and kits.  Don't be afraid of the url address, it's a real site.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2012, 12:24:19 AM »

Do sorcerers or wild mages count as kits?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the more I play the less I like the touch interface.  Door transitions are damn near impossible, it's very difficult to target specific enemies in combat (even when zoomed all the way in), it's tough to scroll the map without moving your party, selecting interactive items (i.e. chests, shelves, etc.) is challenging, etc., etc

While it's cool to be able to play something of this scope on my iPad, I'm not sure it's worth the interface frustrations at this point.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 12, 2012, 02:38:08 PM

Spent a couple hours with this last night, and think I'm starting to get the hang of the touch controls.  Odd that things in the tutorial feel so much more difficult than they do in-game.

Still really struggling with the rulesets though.  Going to have to do some serious research to recall those.
This site was really helpful for me.  Lots of good info, and even some thoughts and opinions about the classes and kits.  Don't be afraid of the url address, it's a real site.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the more I play the less I like the touch interface.  Door transitions are damn near impossible, it's very difficult to target specific enemies in combat (even when zoomed all the way in), it's tough to scroll the map without moving your party, selecting interactive items (i.e. chests, shelves, etc.) is challenging, etc., etc

While it's cool to be able to play something of this scope on my iPad, I'm not sure it's worth the interface frustrations at this point.

While enjoying the game I have to agree about the interface, hard to use sometimes, don't get me started on trying to get the party up stairs inside a house/Inn, madding for sure.  Having a hard time seeing things when it is night time in the game, not due to the night but from the overall dark shades in the game combined with the reflective screen on the iPad.  Any hints on how to use the items in the quick slots?  I skipped the tutorial so perhaps it was explained there but I try touching the item such as a healing potion and nothing happens even if I try to touch the character portrait next.

I find it worth the $10 even with the issues, thanks for the link to that website as I've rolled up a half elf bard who is using the skalds kit and it seems fun even at level 1.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:44:20 PM by Zinfan » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »

I'm playing a half-elf bard too (blade kit).  I like the later edition rules that allow bards to fight and cast spells while they have their song going better than the BG 2nd edition.  While it's probably more realistic, it's pretty dull to just stand around doing nothing while bard song is active.  Still, Bards in BG are pretty cool, and the kits help too.  Being able to level up fast and get early access to some of the good damage spells is a nice perk.  I had started a half-orc barbarian with 19 strength (+7 to hit +7 damage!), but it felt like I was cheating blowing up everything in 1 hit. 

I've always wanted to play a high charisma character, so I will be continuing the career of my (at the moment weak) bard.  I think right now he would die if someone farted in his direction.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

BGEE is now available on Steam for $20.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »

They also released a patch on the 14th that fixed a lot of issues. If anyone has had trouble with it before, now might be a good time to try it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:36 AM »

Reading about this I still don't see any reason why one should purchase the new edition? Sure, if you want it on the Ipad (Which you still can without this), but on the PC? No reason whatsoever it seems.

A new one
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 08:28:36 AM

Reading about this I still don't see any reason why one should purchase the new edition? Sure, if you want it on the Ipad (Which you still can without this), but on the PC? No reason whatsoever it seems.
For me it's just been the ease of play.  I don't have to worry about all of the mod installs.  If you already have all the essential mods, and you already have the GOG version, the differences are a few extra NPCs, some new avatar portraits, and the seperate Black Pits adventure.

The BGEE is supposed to be the new baseline for future mods, but I think that remains to be seen.  They do a nice job of providing regular updates and patches.  But it's mainly just the convenience for me.  I hate having to manage and install a bunch of mods, especially for older games.     
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »

And trying to install the latest patch has somehow locked up the whole thing.   Roll Eyes

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 17, 2013, 08:27:17 AM

They also released a patch on the 14th that fixed a lot of issues. If anyone has had trouble with it before, now might be a good time to try it.

Fixed the touch interface issues?  (Just wanted clarification since I'm considering getting it for the iOS, but since this is the PC board -- although PC/iOS/Android thread -- I thought there might be some PC issues I'm not aware of that needed fixing.)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

The patch hasn't been released for iOS yet.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »

finally, some new news about BG2 EE surfaces

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »

If you've been holding off buying BG EE, you might want to get it now, while you can.  The developers are having some legal troubles with Atari and have stopped selling the game.  Steam and Gamersgate are still selling it, though.  Also, the BGEE patch, BGEE for Android, and BG2 EE have all been put on indefinite hold frown

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 02:44:03 AM »

Ah crap to that, I was really looking forward to BG2 EE.  mad I bought BG EE, but I can't get past the clunkiness or the heavy nerfing of casters the AD&D 2.0 rules bring to it. Back in the late 90's I only ever played it co-op at LAN meets, and it was decent enough played that way.

I noticed that an enhanced version of D&D Chronicles of Mystara just showed up on Steam the other day. I wonder if it's release has anything to do with this.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 02:32:07 PM »

Here's the text of the unfortunate announcement as taken from the home page at baldursgate.com

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster
President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:47:17 PM by kronovan » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Seems a little late in the game to be having show-stopping contractual issues, doesn't it?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 20, 2013, 04:29:57 PM

Seems a little late in the game to be having show-stopping contractual issues, doesn't it?

yeah, it seems odd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »

Tell that to the WWE. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: