http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Wife Gone for 5 Days: Now 13 weeks!  (Read 4805 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2005, 10:01:32 PM »

Have I moved on?
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 12:14:02 AM »

Some vacation... :wink:

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 12:24:49 AM »

I tried that once, for 4 days.  I ended up finding a local store and buying Nancy Drew for my GBA when the plan failed.  It was the cheapest game I could find, since I wanted my money for vacation spending.  It actually was a pretty good game, believe it or not.  Hey, I'm a redhead, so it's not like I can hang out at the beach all day... Tongue

And you'll only know if you've moved on - if you don't play ever again!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 12:29:43 AM »

Early Sunday morning, May 8th is the last time I touched a game (that's when I beat Episode III).  So, I'm close to 21 days since I touched a game...been too busy at work, on the site and watching TV to play any games.  Doesn't mean I've moved on though...

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 01:36:11 AM »

That happens to me all the time.  I wouldn't call it burn out or anything like that in my case.  I'm fairly addictive when it comes to my hobbies so I typically devote most of my spare time into whichever I'm focusing on.  I might go on a reading binge and ignore games sometimes for months on end and then I'll get the gaming urge again and the cycle continues.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:11:48 AM »

This is one of the longest periods of burnout I have had in a looong loooong time. I have played a few hours worth of a few random games in total for the entire last month.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »

Between losing one job, starting another, starting 2 other part-time positions, trying to make my yard look decent, hitting the gym and actually seeing my wife on occasion, I haven't touched a game for nearly 3 weeks.  There's really only one game coming out in the next 2 months that interests me at all (Altilier Iris), and I'll probably wait on it as well (too broke to buy any games, hence the PSP for sale).

My console:games owned ratio is currently 3:2.  I have zero games for my X-Box & PS2, and only 2 for my PSP, neither of which I've played for nearly 2 weeks.  My PSP is also up for sale in the trading forum (shameless plug), so in a week or so I will own 2 consoles with a grand total of 0 games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 01:43:36 PM »

I've played a few hours of EQ2 and Forza since the move on May 14th, but haven't really gotten INTO my gaming groove yet. I'm still a bit distracted by unpacked boxes and my reservations about my current choice of local for my TV, consoles, PC, ect. Just need more time I guess, to get settled in.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:31:43 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Have I moved on?

No.  You just need a heavy dose of KOTOR 3! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 09:43:38 PM »

I haven't played too much since I finished KOTOR 2 last week.  I hopped on to try out XBox Live and finsished a couple races in Midnight Club 3, but that's about it.  My free time is at a low point right now with work and my girlfriend.  I don't know why, but even with less time I still find myself buying games.  I just picked up XIII and Prince of Persia :WW for cheap, but I haven't had time to crack them open.  Maybe this weekend since it's a holiday.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »

It's now almost 3 full weeks with no gaming and the thought of sitting in front of a console is decidedly ho-hum.

How long has to elapse before my CG membership is revoked?  :oops:
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »

I lasted a month until I touched games last weekend.  You can read all about it on my blog.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »

I haven't played much of anything since RE4 - then I grabbed Paper Mario for $20 at EB, and it's just sucked me in... I've put 8 hours in since Saturday, which is *huge* for me - I rarely game more than a couple of hours a week.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 10:43:25 PM »

if my casual gaming has gotten even more casual, it's because i find i'm getting way harder to please (aka more picky) as time goes by...

but, yeah, give me a paper mario or fire emblem or something, & it all comes back big-time...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:40 PM »

I didn't game for 5 weeks... to work on THIS!  (So I definitely haven't "moved on".)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,38049.0.html

Oh and you'll all be charged 25 cents a game... when i get the coin door installed.  Tongue  biggrin

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 12:16:35 AM »

That ROCKS Jack... totally cool.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 12:26:40 AM »

Quote from: "Jack Burton"
I didn't game for 5 weeks... to work on THIS!  (So I definitely haven't "moved on".)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,38049.0.html

Oh and you'll all be charged 25 cents a game... when i get the coin door installed.  Tongue  biggrin

Can I come over to see it when you're done? smile  That's cool!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 12:42:28 AM »

Thx guys.  biggrin   Lot of work.  *whew*  Actually you all can make your own.  Just check out that site I linked up there to find out how.  There's plenty of resources and a great community willing to help out:
http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

It was nice to take a break after I got all the 4 player controls working.  Picked up Fate (www.fatethegame.com) and Mount & Blade (http://www.taleworlds.com/index.html) because of the CG forums.  Been playing those for a week to take a break from the arcade box.  Thanks again guys!

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 12:34:39 PM »

<Starshifter smacks ATB upside the head>

There, feel any better? :wink:

XM Channel 76
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 06:16:46 PM »

I actually didn't game for nearly 2 years.   I kept going to GG for the EBG forum and liked games.  I just couldn't sit in front of a computer after doing it all day at work.  However, just this Christmas, I got an Xbox "for the kids" and it seemed to trigger that addiction in me again.   I've finished more games this year and spent more time gaming than I ever thought I could.   Mostly PC games but a few Xbox titles.

In other words, "Just when I thought that I was out, it pulled me back in. " (all apologies to Godfather fans)

- shaggy

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »

Three weeks and no gaming?  For shame!!!
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2005, 10:56:54 PM »

I got really interested in this thread.  I go 2 weeks,,, 4 weeks at a time,,, easily, between playing.

I'm married and a father of 3 (happy Father's Day to DiamondDecision! :-) ) and just have a difficult time finding the time to play.  On top of that, I feel like I've done EVERYTHING 10 million times.  The "been there, done that" creeps into just about every game I play.

I also realized a couple of years ago that the thing I really liked about games were the stories,,, so I started a heavy appetite of books that continues to this day: Salvador's Drizzt series, The Historian (reading that now), X-Men novels (by the ton!!!!), you name it.  The stores in books don't bog down nearly like games do.  There are few mindless parts just to pad the total time. ;-)

I am playing a couple of Xbox games right now though (very slowly though!): Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Snowblind.

I really think a lot of the gaming companies are screwing up by catering too heavily to the hardcore gamer.  I would like to see more 6-7 hour games I could rent that really keep the plot moving (and not retracing your steps or putting in "filler").
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 12:00:59 AM »

Diamond,
I agree with you 100 percent.  Give me more games like that.  Story-driven games with little to no filler crap.  I don't care how long they are, just give me a compelling story I think about when I lay down at night or while at work the next day.  That is what I want from a movie, a game, or a book.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 11:28:57 AM »

I'm on my second week of no gaming unless a 5 minute stint of Zookeeper counts.  I haven't had a whole lot of time lately and I've got a huuuge backlog.  I hope I'll have some more free time. I hope.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Diamond,
I agree with you 100 percent.  Give me more games like that.  Story-driven games with little to no filler crap.  I don't care how long they are, just give me a compelling story I think about when I lay down at night or while at work the next day.  That is what I want from a movie, a game, or a book.

YES!  I agree 110% with Diamond & mikeg!

The only games to do this for me in the past few years were Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 & the original Halo.

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 11:37:55 AM »

w00t!  Five weeks as of this Friday.  No sign of any interest coming.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 04:37:32 PM »

ATB-

Congratulations on your 5-week vacation!   biggrin

I know Jade Empire was the beginning of your vacation.  I have to tell you that I officially started it last night.  I chose Radiant Jen Zi as my character.  Yes, I'm playing a female (kind of hoping for the lesbian romance I hear so much about :wink: )  And in just the short amount of time roaming around the village and talking with the villagers and establishing the "stories" of ghosts and "spirits" walking the land and sparring with students - count me impressed and absorded!  But, then again I'm one of the oddballs around here.  I like most games in one form or the other.  Who else do you know will actually walk his character around as opposed to running?

I'm actually thinking about the game right now at work.  I'm itching to leave the village.  And the combat is fun!  I can't wait to see the ghosts and spirits!  Believe it or not I'm actually already attached to my character.  It also helps that she is beautiful and when she walks, well, color me impressed! :wink:

I probably shouldn't have started this last night because I also just started Advent Rising, which is awesome beyond belief (despite the technical problems I'm hearing about - and not encountered yet).  The space opera story is riveting and I'm already attached to the characters in this game.

Wow.  Two heavy RPG-styled games at once.  I hate doing that but I couldn't resist.  It's like reading two different and absorbing books at the same time.

Fun stuff indeed.  I'm looking forward to a good gaming weekend.  Can't wait.  I hope you are at least getting a good tan! smile

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »

An indirect result of my gaming break, hiatus, complete and total lack of interest, whatever, is that I now post on OO more than I do here  :oops:
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »

crybaby

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »

Dude, I'm tellin ya, I'm just about there.  I am soooooo bored to death with everything.  Sitting and playing games is like having the dentist work on me.

I don't know what to do, but everything just sux major.

Quote from: "ATB"
Have I moved on?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »

You could have moved on.  Everyone and everything changes.  I can see me losing interest someday.  I'm so jaded now that games that would have blown me away a few years back are extremely ho hum.  And if you have, no biggie.  Life does not revolve around this stuff.  Take up astronomy, write a book, do volunteer work, skydive, scuba dive, take martial arts, read all 6 million books in the Executioner series :b, etc.

Many of us will be not too far behind I think.  The gee whiz factor of it all is about gone for me.  Only happens to me about once or twice a year any more.  Used to be every other game or so.    No biggie.  Plenty more out there.  

Difference for me though is that once the gaming interest is gone, I will never come to another gaming site again.  Much like my Karate interest is gone now and I never look into that stuff anymore.  Used to live that stuff, but I moved on.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2005, 12:31:33 PM »

Difference for me though is that once the gaming interest is gone, I will never come to another gaming site again.

I don't conisder CG a gaming website so much as one of the last vestiges of an Internet way of life that no longer exists.

Sure OO is more robust and alive, but I think more of the spirit of GG is here.  Don't know that I'll ever stop visiting...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 07:32:38 PM »

11 Weeks as of last friday.  Longest dry spell, me thinks, in my entire life.

No signs of letting up now.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2005, 12:10:51 PM »

I am starting to feel a tug though.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 05:19:28 PM »

And now that its a little bit there, it will continue to grow. Trust me. You are on your way back.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2005, 05:31:23 PM »

My Wife Gone for 5 Days: Now 13 weeks!

ATB: When you changed the title, I got like - oh, no!  His wife left him, poor guy... crybaby Then I read the rest of the thread... whew!  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2005, 05:38:10 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
My Wife Gone for 5 Days: Now 13 weeks!

ATB: When you changed the title, I got like - oh, no!  His wife left him, poor guy... crybaby Then I read the rest of the thread... whew!  :roll:

Hahaha! That was exactly what I was thinking: "what the hell has his wife been gone for 11 weeks for" smile

Myto, I hope you have noticed that its all love flowing from Rage to everyone these days  :p
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2005, 06:01:05 PM »

Myto, I hope you have noticed that its all love flowing from Rage to everyone these days

Ahh, Rage... I had noticed that hearts and flowers seemed to be abounding in your posts of late, lol!  Like:

Not in the same thread you incredibly clueless creation!!!! puke

Oh, that's right - it was in response to The General, I forgot... :twisted:

Uhh,  what was this thread about, again?  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2005, 08:34:48 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Myto, I hope you have noticed that its all love flowing from Rage to everyone these days

Ahh, Rage... I had noticed that hearts and flowers seemed to be abounding in your posts of late, lol!  Like:

Not in the same thread you incredibly clueless creation!!!! puke

Oh, that's right - it was in response to The General, I forgot... :twisted:

Uhh,  what was this thread about, again?  Tongue

Damnit, I was hoping you wouldn't notice that. I don't think that counts  :cry:
Either way, I am all love now. I am thinking about changing the user name too to reflect the new kindheartednessness thingy.  :wink:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2005, 11:08:56 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I am thinking about changing the user name too to reflect the new kindheartednessness thingy.  :wink:

Whoah.
-Keano Reeves

"nessness"? Is that like "double-dog-dare"? It just stacks?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: