http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 06:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My wife's fist very own "real" game...  (Read 2903 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

For those who don't already know (or have not yet received a Friend invite), my wife for Christmas received an Xbox Live membership, and now she is a member of the Live community (gamertag "MoosNukle").  She has quickly become an Achievement addict, wanting to earn every achievement for every game she has played, regardless of how much effort is involved.  She will fixate on a specific achievement, and once she sets her mind to it, she'll work toward that single achievement before moving on to anything else.

However, the only games she has played thus far are Xbox Live Arcade games.  She has yet to play a "real" game on her own.  That is, until last night.  On our way home from work we stopped at Best Buy for my usual DVD Tuesday addiction, and also picked up a quick-charge kit and an extra battery (we've been going through AA's like mad), and on our way out she started to linger by the 360 game section and started reading the box for Viva Pinata.  I was witnessing a key moment in our relationship.  My wife has always been a willing participant in video-gaming get-togethers, and she plays enough Xbox Live Arcade games to make me want to buy a second 360 so that I can get back some of my own gaming time, but never has she expressed interest in a particular game for her.  And yesterday evening she decided that she would like to spend some of her own Christmas money on Viva Pinata so that she could begin playing her first "real" game. 

It was a proud moment in my life.  The transition of my wife from "casual gamer" to "true gamer".  And she has also expressed interest in playing multiplayer Gears of War the next time I play with the OO/GT population, so I am really enjoying my wife's interest in one of my favorite hobbies.  However, now I am now faced with a catch-22.  My wife is finally taking a more active interest in gaming, playing her very own "real" game (Viva Pinata), but as a byproduct I will be faced with less gaming time of my own.  But, some sacrifices must be made in order to have what many aspire to obtain but have never been able to find, a true gaming wife.  This is a proud day in the PeteRock household.    icon_cool     

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »

Easy solution- get another 360!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »

You must be so proud! ...sniff...   icon_wink

Mrs. Gratch has also had a minor breakthrough lately.  While I don't think I'll ever get her playing a "real" game with any regularity, every time I walk in the office she's playing Bookworm Adventures on her computer.  She won't let me pay for the full version, and I think she's been through the demo about a hundred times now.  I just need to break down and buy it for her.  She also watched me play the last 10 hours of Dreamfall a couple weeks ago because she got so wrapped up in the story.  We're going to start The Longest Journey together soon, so we'll see how that goes.  Maybe adventure and puzzle games are "gateway" games.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 10, 2007, 08:29:46 PM

Easy solution- get another 360!

I recently bought a second 360 and Live subscription.  My wife has never really been a gamer.  But we had an absolute blast playing through Gears co-op over Live.  Last night I was using a system link setup to learn the maps for multiplayer and she actually started playing deathmatch!!!  We played 1 vs 1 GoW for about an hour and had a blast. 

I think I am going to get a couple of copies of Doom 3 for our next co-op game.  I thought about Rainbow Six: Vegas but she prefers the light on strategy heavy on carnage types of games.

Buying that second 360 has been a great move so far.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

I sure wish you would have told me that we were trying the "Natural Way" before I hired those gaming geeks to kidnap my wife and force her to play console games until she liked them!  Now I look like a jerk.

Dammit!  I thought we were on the same page about this... 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »

Quote from: deadzone on January 10, 2007, 08:40:21 PM

I sure wish you would have told me that we were trying the "Natural Way" before I hired those gaming geeks to kidnap my wife and force her to play console games until she liked them!  Now I look like a jerk.

Dammit!  I thought we were on the same page about this... 

She first learned to play Halo whenever we had friends over for MP sessions, deciding that she could either sit by herself in the kitchen, or join in and become a part of the group.  Once she won her first round she was hooked.  Once I picked up a 360, I used Xbox Live Arcade games as a gateway drug, and her addiction has only grown from there.  Uno and Geometry Wars were her first addictions, but once Zuma came onto the scene, she began urging me to head off to bed so that she could play into the night.  And now she leads our combined Friends list by almost double the second-place score. 

Well, that, and I put sedatives in her diet soda and play subliminal gaming files on her MP3 player while she's "resting."   

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 08:51:32 PM »

Diet Soda?  That'll kill her eventually, so don't fret.   icon_biggrin

Anyway, I have been considering alternatives such as a second PS2.. There is a queue in this household to play the PS2 now, and it is driving everyone INSANE.  Adding the wife into the queue for Guitar Hero1/2 did NOT help the matters!  At least another PS2 would only be a hundred bucks though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:53:19 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 08:51:32 PM

Diet Soda?  That'll kill her eventually, so don't fret.

Dude seriously....at least throw in a smiley.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »

Congrats to you Pete, but I am fairly sure I don't want my gf gaming smile
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 08:52:17 PM

Bitch!  I forgot it and was editing it in exactly at the same time you posted apparently.  finger   icon_lol icon_lol

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:00:24 PM »

I think one of my most recent favourite gaming moments was watching my wife and 4 1/2 year old play Lego Star Wars II Co-op. icon_smile
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:10:13 PM »

Well, that, and I put sedatives in her diet soda and play subliminal gaming files on her MP3 player while she's "resting."   

I like the way you think!   icon_biggrin
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »

Oh Pete. Be careful what you wish for.  It was nice playing with you in GoW...both times. 

When she installs the pink faceplate, let me know and you can crash on my couch.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 10, 2007, 09:14:32 PM

Oh Pete. Be careful what you wish for.  It was nice playing with you in GoW...both times. 

When she installs the pink faceplate, let me know and you can crash on my couch.

My wife and I have the same football allegiance, so rest assured, my faceplate will not be changing (plus, she has an aversion to pink).

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »

My girlfriend has picked up the 360 controller twice - once to play Viva Pinata, and once to play Marvel Ultimate Alliance co-op with me.  Both times it was extremely difficult to get her to put it down so that we could go to bed, but otherwise she's never shown any interest in picking it up again.  She tolerates my hobby and views it as a waste of money, but generally prefers me spending my time and money gaming as opposed to drinking and carousing.  I don't really think I want a gaming girlfriend.  It's nice to have someone who makes me go outside once in a while.

gamertag "MoosNukle"

Lol.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 09:26:23 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 10, 2007, 08:24:00 PM

However, now I am now faced with a catch-22.  My wife is finally taking a more active interest in gaming, playing her very own "real" game (Viva Pinata), but as a byproduct I will be faced with less gaming time of my own.

Obviously it's time for a mistress.

Seriously, Viva Pinata is an addictive game.  I've spent probably 12 hours over the last two days playing it.  You'll never get your 360 back once it gets its hooks in her.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 10, 2007, 09:24:39 PM

She tolerates my hobby and views it as a waste of money, but generally prefers me spending my time and money gaming as opposed to drinking and carousing.  I don't really think I want a gaming girlfriend.  It's nice to have someone who makes me go outside once in a while.

My wife has always been understanding of my hobby, but she just hasn't been as much of a participant. She is a Halo MP addict and is the first to suggest playing whenever we have friends over (she wins her fair share of rounds), but she doesn't really play much on her own (except for Live Arcade games when I head off to sleep). Whenever I schedule an online game with friends, she always remembers when and if we're out doing something, she'll usually ask, "hey, do we need to head home so you can make it in time to play with your buddies?" She never complains, never has a problem with me playing (as long as I tend to my other responsibilities, of course), and sometimes even encourages it if she has something else to do and wants me to find something to occupy myself with.

It was only after she got her own Live account that she began thinking about establishing her own Friends list (mainly from people she's gotten to "know" through my Friends list) and playing her own games, and Viva Pinata was that very first game that she bought for herself on her own. She's all about playing MP shooters with me, but never much on her own.

Quote from: warning on January 10, 2007, 09:27:06 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 10, 2007, 08:24:00 PM

However, now I am now faced with a catch-22.  My wife is finally taking a more active interest in gaming, playing her very own "real" game (Viva Pinata), but as a byproduct I will be faced with less gaming time of my own.

Obviously it's time for a mistress.

Seriously, Viva Pinata is an addictive game.  I've spent probably 12 hours over the last two days playing it.  You'll never get your 360 back once it gets its hooks in her.

You should hear her talk about the game today. Already lamenting how many pinatas she's attracted to her garden, the damn birds that won't eat the worms, the space restrictions, etc. I'll never see my 360 again.

But our characterization as "gamers" in no way implies an aversion to anything but gaming.  We are active enough to not need a non-gaming partner to instigate non-gaming activities.  Being that our gaming time is limited as it is, the hard part will be finding a way to divide what limited gaming time we have in a civil manner.  Perhaps more sedatives in her diet soda will be necessary.   ninja

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 10, 2007, 08:54:09 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 10, 2007, 08:52:17 PM

Bitch!  I forgot it and was editing it in exactly at the same time you posted apparently.  finger   icon_lol icon_lol

lewl!
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »

Best live name for a chick, ever...BTW Ima' request her as a friend, and send dirty voice messages to her, like I do to ATB

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »

From reading the title I thought you were going to talk about her beating the crap out of you.   ninja

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »

See, you don't need a Wii to bring new people into gaming!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 10:54:53 PM »

The last thing I want is TehWoman to want to play video games.  I almost killed her when she found out the PS3 had Soduku and monopolized it for an hour.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

Quote from: gellar on January 10, 2007, 10:54:53 PM

The last thing I want is TehWoman to want to play video games.  I almost killed her when she found out the PS3 had Soduku and monopolized it for an hour.

gellar

I can seriously imagine you getting all steamed and annoyed as she wastes the 600 dollar console playing a pencil and paper game. Its making me laugh. Word.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 02:46:57 AM »

I hate to say this, but its quite obvious that your wife is an agent for the Lifetime Channel Liberation Front (LCLF). DO NOT leave her unattended with your Xbox 360. Her agenda will be to make you THINK she loves gaming so she can get close to her primary target. Then you'll suddenly have a hardware failure, thus leaving more time for you and her to share "quality moments" watching movies like The Lake House, Ghost or Titanic.

Do you really think all these xbox systems are dying due to hardware failures? That is exactly what the LCLF wants you to believe.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »

There you go ATB!  You did it!  You had to mention faceplates!  mad  As soon as I read that I knew that damn picture was coming.  Now GT has been tainted with that ugly Iggles PeteRock faceplate picture.  ATB listen carefully.  Do NOT mention dogs or children to Pete.  If you do it will be the end of GT as we know it.

icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 01:27:03 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 11, 2007, 01:20:07 PM

There you go ATB!  You did it!  You had to mention faceplates!  mad  As soon as I read that I knew that damn picture was coming.  Now GT has been tainted with that ugly Iggles PeteRock faceplate picture.  ATB listen carefully.  Do NOT mention dogs or children to Pete.  If you do it will be the end of GT as we know it.

icon_wink

She was pretty excited to receive her very first gift in Viva Pinata.  But when I saw it's name (Eagle Killer), I at least knew that it couldn't possibly be a Giant.   icon_cool

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:34:52 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 11, 2007, 01:27:03 PM

She was pretty excited to receive her very first gift in Viva Pinata.  But when I saw it's name (Eagle Killer), I at least knew that it couldn't possibly be a Giant.   icon_cool

Cool!  I was going to message her and see if she got it.  If she want's to know how to get that type of pinata she can message me and I'll tell her.  Hope you didn't mind my "Love Starshift" message to her Pete!  icon_wink

Fellow GT folk:  I've known Pete and his wife for years.  We use to work together in the same office in Pennsylvania.  And let me tell you that woman with a rocket launcher in Halo is deadly!  nod  And just a warning here.  The further the Iggles go in the playoffs the more cocky Pete will get.  God save us if they make the Super Bowl!  :icon_eek:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 02:15:59 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 10, 2007, 09:19:34 PM

That is some setup Pedro Roca.  You mean to tell me with a screen THAT big you still couldn't hit anything in GoW last friday?
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »

This thread is hilarious!   Tongue

Also- the above picture is HAWT!  My eyeballs had dirty sex with that picture of your freaking awesome setup Pete!  So when can I come over?  I can bring ummmm Beer?   icon_lol  I promise that I will leave sometime!   
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 02:15:59 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on January 10, 2007, 09:19:34 PM

That is some setup Pedro Roca.  You mean to tell me with a screen THAT big you still couldn't hit anything in GoW last friday?

Either I'm having a seizure, someones burning toast, or ATB just burned ForceBane.  icon_wink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 11:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 11, 2007, 01:34:52 PM

Cool!  I was going to message her and see if she got it.  If she want's to know how to get that type of pinata she can message me and I'll tell her.  Hope you didn't mind my "Love Starshift" message to her Pete!  icon_wink

Absolutely no problem at all, because I know that you are well aware of "The Ruletm."  I've yet to meet a man willing to break "The Ruletm", or even able to afford to.   icon_wink Send all the "Love, IdiotGiantsFan" notes you want.  She's psyched to have someone to exchange Pinatas with.  She hasn't sent anything your way yet because she hasn't hatched anything she considers terribly impressive just yet.  But now that she has discovered that there are secret pinata species to discover, and different color options based on their diets, she'll be working hard to discover something interesting to send your way.  She's loving being on Live, and anytime she gets a message or a pinata in the mail her face lights up.  Thanks for making her evening.  I know she appreciates it.   

Fellow GT folk:  I've known Pete and his wife for years.  We use to work together in the same office in Pennsylvania.  And let me tell you that woman with a rocket launcher in Halo is deadly!  nod  And just a warning here.  The further the Iggles go in the playoffs the more cocky Pete will get.  God save us if they make the Super Bowl!  :icon_eek:

There's a difference between cocky, and celebratory.  Cocky would have been razzing you prior to an Eagles victory over the Giants.  Celebratory is razzing you after said victory.   icon_cool

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 11:39:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 11, 2007, 02:15:59 PM

That is some setup Pedro Roca. 

Quote from: deadzone on January 11, 2007, 02:47:02 PM

This thread is hilarious!   Tongue

Also- the above picture is HAWT!  My eyeballs had dirty sex with that picture of your freaking awesome setup Pete!  So when can I come over?  I can bring ummmm Beer?   icon_lol  I promise that I will leave sometime!   

I have managed to develop a setup I can be content with and that more or less lives up to the PeteRock standard.   icon_wink  For those that are curious:  top left = Sony 400-disc DVD changer, top middle = Escient Fireball, top right = space for 2nd Sony 400-disc DVD changer I just received for Christmas, bottom left = PS2 and HD cable box, bottom middle = receiver and Zektor HDS4.1 powered component switch box, and bottom right = Xbox 360 with Eagles faceplate and original Xbox.

My wife has completely supported my home theater addiction (she enjoys it as much as, if not more than I do), and we have finally acquired a setup we can be proud of and get a shit-ton of fun out of.  It's definitely nice to come home to.

Well, that's fun to come home to as well as this (just to piss off Starshifter):

You mean to tell me with a screen THAT big you still couldn't hit anything in GoW last friday?

Hence my confusion.   retard

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on January 11, 2007, 11:39:41 PM

You mean to tell me with a screen THAT big you still couldn't hit anything in GoW last friday?

Hence my confusion.   retard

No worries homie... my TV is just as big and I suck just as much, I'm sure.

gellar
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 11, 2007, 01:34:52 PM

She just told me that last night she sent you a pinata!  She was so excited to tell me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
She managed to turn a sparrow into a dainty canary, fed him something to turn him blue, sent him to you, and named him Eli Manning.  I can't stop laughing.   icon_lol  I love my wife.   icon_cool  If only she could have taught the canary to pout like a spoiled child.  <<puts on Eagles jersey and raises arms in victory with fingers pointed toward the sky>> 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 12:00:14 AM by PeteRock » Logged

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 12:03:45 AM »

My setup owns Petes..  Cost me $5.99 at a garage sale.

I love watching it while eating $1.99 brats cooked on my $29.99 grill.   :slywink:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: