http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:17:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 59143 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 27, 2011, 02:35:11 AM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 27, 2011, 02:31:13 AM

Anyone know why I can't find any mobs anymore... I spent "days" in my mine just mining loads of crap so I could outfit my guy with some decent weapons and armor, then I climbed back up to my house and I have days outside and wandering and other than some basic animals, I haven't seen anything.. I especially want some spiders so I can start farming some string and make some bows...... I would also like some creeps or ghasts to get my sulfur....
Is there anywhere you can think of that I could look? As an aside, I never saw anything while mining either, although somehow, I had animals get into my house even though it was closed up....

you may have built your house on a spawn point for the animals.  not sure about the monsters though.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:44 AM »

or you have put yourself on peaceful mode?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2011, 03:30:06 AM »

you're kidding, right?  or is there such a thing?

Because I can,
Archinerd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »

Animals have a chance to spawn on any grass block with sufficient light.
Sounds like you have a grass floored house to me. And no evil mobs, not even at night? I agree, sounds like peaceful mode to me.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »

Quote from: Archinerd on January 27, 2011, 01:50:15 PM

Which sounds like a challenge to me. If I fence in a couple of dozen blocks, how many generated animals can I corral? I have visions of sheep stacking up like cord wood  icon_biggrin

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 27, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 27, 2011, 03:10:35 PM

Quote from: Archinerd on January 27, 2011, 01:50:15 PM

Which sounds like a challenge to me. If I fence in a couple of dozen blocks, how many generated animals can I corral? I have visions of sheep stacking up like cord wood  icon_biggrin

heh, in my latest world they like spawning right outside the entrance to my main base, right where I have dug a deep pit and will be filling it with lava as soon as I find a source for it (mainly because monsters also like falling in it and it's in the shade so they don't flambe during the day).  I shall spend my nights listening to the screams of the lambs.......

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 27, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »

1) What is peaceful mode and how do I change it?
2) With the animals in the house, it looks like they despawn after a while... A few did die, because I left the door open to my mine and they fell off the huge drop, but even after I closed the door, the animals inside disappeared...
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on January 27, 2011, 05:18:42 PM

2) With the animals in the house, it looks like they despawn after a while... A few did die, because I left the door open to my mine and they fell off the huge drop, but even after I closed the door, the animals inside disappeared...

Look in the Options menu. There should be a difficulty setting. There you can change it to a few different modes that effect the way enemies spawn. Peaceful mode will prevent baddies from spawning and will make all of the Nether enemies stop attacking you. If you need a break to do a mega-project, switch to peaceful mode. Of course, then you are a little girl for doing so, but who is judging? (me... silently)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 27, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 27, 2011, 06:08:19 PM

Quote from: Punisher on January 27, 2011, 05:18:42 PM

Look in the Options menu. There should be a difficulty setting. There you can change it to a few different modes that effect the way enemies spawn. Peaceful mode will prevent baddies from spawning and will make all of the Nether enemies stop attacking you. If you need a break to do a mega-project, switch to peaceful mode. Of course, then you are a little girl for doing so, but who is judging? (me... silently)

Thanks, I'll look for this.. Don't know how it changed though. I think I had it on normal and they were spawning before I went on my mining expedition, but I'll check this anyway...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 28, 2011, 04:01:02 AM »

halocraft.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 28, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »

On the OO multiplayer server, I have constructed what I call 'Scottshire Prison'.     It is a 50x50 room with 1 main channel and 6 branching channels.   In each channel is a water current that moves to one point at the head of the room.     Since the room is in total darkness, mobs spawn and fall into the channels and are moved by the water current to the point where they all converge.

At that point is a 'lava blade' that kills them.... and then their items float down to the bottom floor of a building I constructed that I call the 'Scottshire Prison Office'.    More specifically, the items flow to the 'Estate Claims' room where you can go down and scoop up their items.

String
Gunpowder
Arrows
Bone

I got nearly 60 gunpowder in just a few visits to the prison last night.    Dynamite here I come!!!!!!!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:23 PM »

I believe that The Hague might want to have a word with you about your little "Prison".

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »

You need to trick players into that, maybe a sign that says 'free cake'.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 28, 2011, 07:45:29 PM

At that point is a 'lava blade' that kills them....

What's a lava blade?

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: January 28, 2011, 10:31:14 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 28, 2011, 09:22:33 PM

At that point is a 'lava blade' that kills them....

What's a lava blade?

I am also interested in this thing you call a lava blade.  For research only, of course.   ninja

Sandwiches do fix everything.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 29, 2011, 05:18:45 AM »

On the OO multiplayer server, I have constructed what I call 'Scottshire Prison'.     It is a 50x50 room with 1 main channel and 6 branching channels.   In each channel is a water current that moves to one point at the head of the room.     Since the room is in total darkness, mobs spawn and fall into the channels and are moved by the water current to the point where they all converge.

At that point is a 'lava blade' that kills them.... and then their items float down to the bottom floor of a building I constructed that I call the 'Scottshire Prison Office'.    More specifically, the items flow to the 'Estate Claims' room where you can go down and scoop up their items.

String
Gunpowder
Arrows
Bone

I got nearly 60 gunpowder in just a few visits to the prison last night.    Dynamite here I come!!!!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen...  Tongue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 30, 2011, 01:55:18 AM »

I'll have to recreate it and post a picture.   No wayim going back into the prison now thatits sealed.   It would be suicide.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: January 30, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

The OO Server has grown to the size that it's eating through hardware resources right and left and most of the map is unused; only having been filled out because people explored for hundreds of miles in random directions.  Because of this many of the new resources such as the blue stone, proper biomes and the new trees are extremely rare or nonexistent. 

Certain members have requested a complete server refresh and we are considering it.  We think it would be possible for old users to transfer over ONE building to the new server if requested but otherwise this would be a full refresh. 

If you have land on the OO server please voice your opinion if you would like to see this happen and if you would like to transfer a main base.  This would also be a great opportunity for new people to join the server as the world would be new again.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 30, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »

The Penny Arcade group had good luck with making a set X by X square region to be used on the server, marking the boundaries with a huge trench so it was plain and simple to see in-game where the end of the world is.  Still plenty of room to explore, and less of an impact on the server since you eliminate the unused exploration tendrils.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 30, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 30, 2011, 01:55:18 AM

I'll have to recreate it and post a picture.   No wayim going back into the prison now thatits sealed.   It would be suicide.

just rip off the ceiling during daytime and watch them all burn  icon_lol

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: January 31, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »

Well Chris has the new OO server running so I think 6pm eastern time is going to be the cutoff point for making changes to the old. The new server has a nice blend of biomes with the spawn point being in an arctic zone.

Carry over request list looks like this currently.

Castle Noventia (Chris/lordnine)
Fortress Duncan (msduncan)
Lava Vegas (Skafe)
The Crystal Palace (Mold Maker)
The Cake Shoppe (Turtle)
The Picnic shelter of DEATH (Madmarcus)
Utter Madness (Archinerd)
Harold
Archinerd's Pet Sheep

Am I missing anyone?
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »

I would like to get in if possible.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 31, 2011, 11:06:44 PM »

Quote from: drifter on January 31, 2011, 10:58:11 PM

I'm tempted as well. I was going to try max's server but it seems a bit to restrictive;  I'm a peacock, I gotta fly!

Because I can,
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »

Quote from: drifter on January 31, 2011, 10:58:11 PM

Ditto for me, just don't know how active I'll be... or what to do...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 01, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

Well I installed battle towers but I have yet to find one. I've generated a bunch of new worlds and done a bunch of exploration in them but no luck.

One if the new world I generated had the starting point in a wooded area that looked like an impact crater, so I kept that one and started a new base. The smelting wood for charcoal makes a big difference since charcoal seems to burn the same length of time as regular coal, and there is always a ton of wood.  I'm planning on setting up a room full of cookers, and also replanting all the trees I cut down.  Since I usually see 6 saplings or more dropping from decaying leaves I don't think I'm ever going to have to mine coal again.

I also have yet to see a creeper or skeleton. I've seen spiders and zombies so I know I'm not in peaceful mode, but I've gone through a few night cycles and the crater has been pretty quiet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:47:44 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »

OO transfer is taking slightly longer than expected.  I'll post here when its finished.  If you would like access to the new world when it opens please send me a PM here and I'll be happy to let you in.
Some OO'ers have been beta testing the new server.  Here is the spawn location of the new world!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:12:27 PM by Lordnine » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 01, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »

Damn, that looks cool.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 02, 2011, 04:46:18 AM »

that does.  i want in as well once the snow has settled.  i have a few unique ideas for some structures i want to build.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: February 02, 2011, 05:23:32 AM »

OO Server is up and running at the original IP address.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

did some more exploring of the world I mentioned above, beyond the edges of the crater.  to one side is a fairly good sized desert, so I won't be wanting for sand to make glass anytime soon, and on the opposite side is a massive drop off.  still no sign of the creepers, but I did find a skeleton hiding in a pit.  he chased me but it was daytime.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: February 04, 2011, 05:16:10 PM »

File is 5mb so I'm only going to link it but you can view the new world OO map here.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 04, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »

I need to grab Cartographer again and make a map of my current world.  it feels like there's a lot of desert to wander around in, plus I got lost on my recent exploration trip.  I did find a dungeon half buried in the sand, kinda like a ruin.  the chest and monster generator were also buried.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: February 05, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »

And part of my creation (it goes two more floors down) that I've done on a multiplayer server that a few of my friends and I play on. I was thinking of some old temple dedicated to the fire and water Gods, and this is what I came up with. It also shows the current texture pack I use (Albion 64x64, with a few minor changes):

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 05, 2011, 02:57:02 AM »

here's a map of my current world:

I need to check out that above ground lava pool.  My base is built into the side of a mountain right now, so it's not visible yet.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 05, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »

CeeKay,

I had an above ground lava pool in one of my recent maps. It was actually really cool, a square of lava just sitting on the surface! In many ways, Minecraft is becoming more and more like Dwarf Fortress!

Last night I got the wild hair to play Haven and Hearth (partially to view it in light of the upcoming Salem game). I would really like to see some of the more detail put into Minecraft, without being quite to time consuming and persnickity.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 06, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on February 05, 2011, 05:25:23 PM

CeeKay,

I had an above ground lava pool in one of my recent maps. It was actually really cool, a square of lava just sitting on the surface! In many ways, Minecraft is becoming more and more like Dwarf Fortress!

zooming in on the map I can tell it's a lot bigger that one block (see attached).  I'm hoping it's a nice deep lava pit and not just one block deep.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:46 AM »

Minecraft - The Source Portal

Because I can,
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »

how do you get those pictures of your world?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2011, 04:33:13 AM »

Quote from: drifter on February 06, 2011, 04:26:33 AM

how do you get those pictures of your world?

I use Cartograph.

Because I can,
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »

I tried loading the Albion pack but apparently I am running Minecraft in my browser. How do you get Minecraft to not run in the browser?  I start the game via the minecraft.exe file.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: