http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:27:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 60681 times)
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »

I would agree about the atmosphere but since I consider Minecraft to be just a big box of Legos for adults this isn't really a draw for me.  As for things not working the only thing I can think of that hasn't been fixed/implemented in multiplayer is portals to hell.

The thing I noticed quickly is that when I played in single player I built everything simple and practical.  Since I was the only one who would ever see what I built there was no incentive to make things "impressive".  Because of this mining quickly lost its appeal because I knew I wasn't really going to use the materials anyways and I quickly became bored.

Multiplayer has been a whole different story.  I've constructed or helped construct giant rollercoaster's, palatial castles, mass transit systems and Redstone machines that do everything from lighting to locking doors and running simple traps.

Again, I agree this comes down to personal preference but I enjoy the majestic scale of multiplayer and would recommend giving your options a try before you settle for one or the other.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »

How do I "wear" armor I made? I've got a piece but I'm not sure how to equip it.

Oh, btw, spiders can climb over my fence, dammit  icon_frown.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 14, 2011, 10:21:24 PM »

How do I "wear" armor I made? I've got a piece but I'm not sure how to equip it.

Iirc you equip it via the inventory screen. I usually don't make any so it's been awhile since I've had to equip it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 14, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 14, 2011, 10:21:24 PM

Iirc you equip it via the inventory screen. I usually don't make any so it's been awhile since I've had to equip it.

Thanks. That spider made me think it might not be a bad idea to have it.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 14, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »

I've never done any MP - do you log into a specific server? And if so, do we have one here?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:37 PM »

I think you have the option of the Wanderers Server or the OO server.  I sent you access information to the OO server if you want to join in.  While everyone is welcome please don't post the IP address directly in the forum; we would like to dissuade griefers from ever gaining access.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 15, 2011, 12:13:47 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 14, 2011, 11:09:37 PM

I think you have the option of the Wanderers Server or the OO server.  I sent you access information to the OO server if you want to join in.  While everyone is welcome please don't post the IP address directly in the forum; we would like to dissuade griefers from ever gaining access.

I'd be interested in taking a look if you'd like to send the info my way.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 15, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »

Since spiders can climb my fences into my patio, I felt the need to make a complete structure with walls and roof. However, since I like the view, I made it all of glass.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 15, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »

birch trees screwed with me.  first one I saw from a distance I thought the world had gone wonkey and was creating pillars of coal.  I was sorely disappointed when I got closer.

[edit]cool, squids!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:42:42 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: January 15, 2011, 02:00:48 AM »

nice that they added charcoal.  i wonder if you can use that in the smelter as a fuel source.

spiders that climb.  dratz.  time to fortify the base. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 15, 2011, 02:35:45 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 15, 2011, 02:00:48 AM

nice that they added charcoal.  i wonder if you can use that in the smelter as a fuel source.

Yes you can. It's a real help.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 15, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

saw this from a distance in my newest world:

the possibilities.....

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: January 15, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »

New OO server World Map for anyone interested.  (Click for full size) (20mb file warning)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 15, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »

I get 'the image "http://ninthhaven.com/OO_Jan2010.jpg" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors' when I click on it.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »

I ended up spending about six hours playing yesterday and boy, it does just draw you in. I alternated spending time on the surface growing trees and wheat and mining underground. I finally did reach bedrock and came across some redstone, but so far no gold and so little iron that I can't waste it on tools.

Besides mining some more my next goal is to do more exploring. I now have my compass so I can find my way home. I figure I'll carry enough resources to be able to build a hut for staying overnight. The land where I am is pretty barren, no mushrooms and only one type of flower. And snow, lots and lots of snow.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: January 15, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2011, 08:08:51 PM

I get 'the image "http://ninthhaven.com/OO_Jan2010.jpg" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors' when I click on it.

Try refreshing.  It loads almost instantly in Firefox but does tend to freak out in Chrome.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 15, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 15, 2011, 08:50:05 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2011, 08:08:51 PM

Try refreshing.  It loads almost instantly in Firefox but does tend to freak out in Chrome.

still not coming up, but I got it to work in IE.  I think something I may have noscript blocking might be the culprit.

that said, holy cow that is a big plateau your world generated.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

Yeah, one of the things I'm kind of afraid of with the constant improvements is that we won't see so many random, goofy, out-of-place things like that plateau or the piece of land that just stops in a cliff at a chunk edge.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 15, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »

ah, it's good to know that I still have the good old 'oh shit creeper!' jump out of your seat reflex.  I'm starting to make pit traps for them.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »

i had a bit of time to check out the OO world earlier today and man oh man is the starting area freaking cool.  can't wait to trek up to see isengard and the castle out in the snow. 

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2011, 10:00:57 PM

ah, it's good to know that I still have the good old 'oh shit creeper!' jump out of your seat reflex.  I'm starting to make pit traps for them.

Would you elaborate on "pit traps"? They still freak the heck out of me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 15, 2011, 10:50:01 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 15, 2011, 10:45:00 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2011, 10:00:57 PM

Would you elaborate on "pit traps"? They still freak the heck out of me.

I dig a hole about 3-4 squares deep, the width is totally up to you, and when one starts chasing me I get it to fall in.  they're pretty single minded when they chase you so it's easy.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 15, 2011, 07:39:30 PM

New OO server World Map for anyone interested.  (Click for full size) (20mb file warning)

I go it to download by saving the JPG to my desktop and viewing in Paint Shop Pro. It's a pretty cool world, I love the round walled off area with the central pillar and the aquarium.

After I burn out on single play I might give MP a whirl. How do you folks communicate inside and outside of the game?

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:54 AM »

Haven't played this for a while, and goddamn are there tons of mods!  I tried a texture mod a while back, but can you guys recommend some good, interesting mods as a starting point?  There appear to be so many options with textures and other mods that it is as intimidating as Fallout/Oblivion modding.  Too many choices! 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

free cake.

Because I can,
CellophanePower
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

There are good lists of mods elsewhere online, you should give it a search. Plus, they're not that hard to use. Though I must admit, it would be great if there was a better site for ranking "top mods" or something.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 17, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

turns out the Horsehead I posted above isn't as cool as I thought it would be as the other side is pretty much sand.  I'm also apparently in a resource poor area, all the caves that generated are shallow and other than coal I've only found about 10 blocks of iron ore.

On the plus side I somehow picked what appears to be the spawn point for cows, pigs, sheeps and chickens as the entrance for my base, so I've got a readily available supply of wool, ham, leather and eggs.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot more 'tree sprouts' seem to be dropping as leave blocks disappear after I chop down a tree.

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 17, 2011, 09:52:25 PM »

I've been finding a lot of redstone. Looking in the wiki, I don't seem to find a lot of use for it except for building a lot of NAND and NOR and other logic circuits. Any other useful things I can do with it?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: January 17, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »

You can use redstone to make a compass that points back to your spawn point, or a watch that shows the cycle of the moon and sun.  Other than that I think the only other use is switches and logic gates.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 17, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 17, 2011, 09:54:59 PM

You can use redstone to make a compass that points back to your spawn point, or a watch that shows the cycle of the moon and sun.  Other than that I think the only other use is switches and logic gates.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I built the compass and clock. I'm hoping that as the game progresses towards release more functional items will be added. I'd love to have a powered drilling machine. Point it, turn it on, and it just digs a two cube high tunnel till you need to add a new charge. Hmm, I think I'll post that to their forum.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 17, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »

I tried to stay away from Minecraft today and get in some reading, but it dragged me back in  icon_biggrin. I got creative and made three double sized storage chests and put signs above each so I could sort and store my stuff in an organized manner.

I'm also continuing my obsession with glass. I now have glass skylights in my underground lair. I also accidentally dig into a water source which flooded me out, but after about forty minutes of tweaking I turned it into a glass enclosed waterfall in my lobby.

My indoor tree farm was a bust, but my outdoor farm (tree-ery?) is going like gangbusters.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:15 PM »

I've tried indoor trees but it never works.  I even game them water and a skylight.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »

Tree's need a specific level of light to grow and I believe 6 free spaces above them.  A great thing about the newest update is it made it a lot easier to test if your trees will grow.  Go kill a couple skeletons and use the bone-meal to grow your trees to full height instantly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »

anyone play with the note blocks yet?

Still Alive

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 18, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »

My indoor tree farm was a bust, but my outdoor farm (tree-ery?) is going like gangbusters.

I believe the term you are looking for is Arbor.  icon_biggrin

I didn't know bone meal was a fertilizer (in game anyway)! So cool! Can you now cultivate flowers by planting a few?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 18, 2011, 04:04:40 PM

I believe the term you are looking for is Arbor.  icon_biggrin

I thought that when the ships sailed from old Blighty they sailed from the arbor (arbour actually). That is, when there are no urricanes about. Of course, in artford, ereford, and ampshire, urricanes ardly ever appen.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 18, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »

Ilarious!  icon_biggrin

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »

Don't support An Arbor!

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:41 PM »

Twice in the last few days I've exited minecraft and had my computer BSD crash.  When I get rebooted the minecraft world I was playing in is gone.  A shame since I had diamond tools in both of those worlds.  I never had this problem in the alpha days.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on January 18, 2011, 10:09:41 PM

Twice in the last few days I've exited minecraft and had my computer BSD crash.  When I get rebooted the minecraft world I was playing in is gone.  A shame since I had diamond tools in both of those worlds.  I never had this problem in the alpha days.

Yikes! That's scary. I've been paranoid after the first couple of days when I realized how bad one hiccup could be. I have a simple (free) backing up tool, SyncBack, and what I do is periodically in the game I'll press ESC which causes the game to save, then run my SyncBack option that backs up the minecraft folder which is in my C:/Documents and Settings/[name]/Application Data/.minecraft path. I also do this after I terminate a session.

Obviously you don't need a backup tool, you can just leave a shortcut on the desktop and drag and copy to a backup location.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: