http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:57:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 60159 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: August 30, 2010, 07:26:17 AM »

Thats insane!! But awesome for him!

I wonder what it is that makes the game so interesting for so many people? I mean, I liked it - I had fun playing with it, but right now, I'm kinda waiting on whats going to happen next, before picking it up again :-)

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:42 PM »

I'm basically down to playing it in bursts whenever my turn rolls around in our Succession game. Do I play lots when my turn is up? Totally. But beyond that, I don't put much time into it right now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »

same here, haven't been playing much.  I saw there was a new update, anyone know what was in it?  the blog was kind of vague.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 30, 2010, 02:28:42 PM

I'm basically down to playing it in bursts whenever my turn rolls around in our Succession game. Do I play lots when my turn is up? Totally. But beyond that, I don't put much time into it right now.

Same with me, but not for lack of interest. It is just that 14,000 other games released suddenly, Elemental and Worms Reloaded being the most notable, and I've been amazingly distracted!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »

Growing tired of it, or growing more interested in collaborative play instead?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 02, 2010, 01:54:14 AM

Growing tired of it, or growing more interested in collaborative play instead?

Odds are I'll play way too much when collaborative multiplayer kicks in. Don't get me wrong. I guess I can only rebuild a base so many times before it starts to get the same-old feeling.

Why I'm enjoying making my own little hideaway on our co-op map that nobody knows about.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:09 AM »

1937 players online, in 741 servers.
570167 registered users, of which 123135 (21.59%) have bought the game.
In the last 24 hours, 13418 people registered, and 3804 people bought the game.

Wow, those impressive numbers just keep climbing.

In other news, it looks like Notch is hiring some people to flesh out the "company" into a real company.  Hopefully this means more time and resources can go towards actually developing Minecraft and the random other things can be dealt with by the appropriate help.  Starting and running a company aren't exactly easy, though.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: September 10, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »

The Seecret Friday part ended up being extremely tiny this time around, but thatís because I made sure to add this:

+ Added server-side inventory
+ Made the server save player locations when they leave the server
+ Made chests work in SMP
+ Made signs work in SMP
+ Made furnaces work in SMP
+ Added monsters=false to server.properties. You can turn it on for experimental monsters, but you canít hurt them directly yet. (Fire works, though!)

Oh man, multiplayer is practically perfectly working now. Short of mobs anyway.

And he's gotten Slashdotted. Why? Paypal is holding hostage over 600,000 Euros. Yes, seriously. Fucking crooks.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 10, 2010, 09:31:47 PM »

Compass that points to spawn position added, and in the wiki. Supposedly a quiver was added too.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »

What I don't understand is how Paypal can say "If there is something up, we will keep the money." Shouldn't they... I don't know... return the money to the people that sent it? Or maybe give the money to some government organization (given that the "something up" is surely an inference that illegal activity occurred, like money laundering or racketeering). How can they just "keep it?"

I use Paypal regularly, but I will have a hard time doing that if they keep Notch's money.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 10, 2010, 09:31:47 PM

Compass that points to spawn position added, and in the wiki. Supposedly a quiver was added too.

The compass will be really handy. And f@ck Paypal if they keep the money.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 10, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on September 10, 2010, 09:40:45 PM

What I don't understand is how Paypal can say "If there is something up, we will keep the money." Shouldn't they... I don't know... return the money to the people that sent it? Or maybe give the money to some government organization (given that the "something up" is surely an inference that illegal activity occurred, like money laundering or racketeering). How can they just "keep it?"

I use Paypal regularly, but I will have a hard time doing that if they keep Notch's money.

Paypal isn't a bank.  It's a private company.  They can do whatever they want.  it's their policy that if they believe there is some type of fraud or illegal activity associated with an account, they freeze it and make the owner of the account prove them wrong.

Also, Paypal wouldn't keep the money.  In the case of the Something Awful charity fundraiser, because Kyanka couldn't prove that he'd give the money to the Red Cross,  Kyanka told Paypal to refund everyone.  And that's what they did.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:19:16 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »

How hard is it to prove that he is selling a game?  Why in the hell is there even any suspicion in this instance?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 11, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 11, 2010, 12:06:25 AM

How hard is it to prove that he is selling a game?  Why in the hell is there even any suspicion in this instance?

Because in the week prior to them freezing his account, Paypal doesn't believe he became so popular and suddenly started having all of that money coming into his account.

Now he's gotta prove to them that people paid for a game he created and that they received it.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 16, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »

Those writeups on RPS finally did it; I grabbed Minecraft today.  I've only had a quick go, just long enough to dig out a home for myself and get some tools made.  Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing yet.  And now I have an enormo-thread to read, wooo!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: September 17, 2010, 04:14:57 AM »

So far I have really enjoyed the game.  It'll be interesting to see how it develops and what new things are added.  I'm really hoping for Minecraft the Dwarf Fortress edition.  The 3D of Minecraft seems like a perfect graphical fit for DF.  At any rate, I hope MC becomes nearly as in depth as DF.

I have to say, this game can really make me jump.  Digging down into the earth.  Opening up a hole into a large natural cavern and then the creepy music starts.  Start throwing up torches as fast as possible and listening for those damn skeletons.  Running like crazy when those mean ass exploding pickles come charging at me.  I REALLY hate them and I really get far too much satisfaction when they are trapped and I drop lava on their heads.  icon_biggrin

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 17, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 16, 2010, 09:53:56 PM

Those writeups on RPS finally did it; I grabbed Minecraft today.

You too huh?  I got it yesterday, and it has sucked up almost every moment of my spare time.

I've only had a quick go, just long enough to dig out a home for myself and get some tools made.  Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing yet.

Survive, explore, collect, build.

It's amazing how beautiful this game is with how crude the graphics are.  And it's a ton of fun to just walk around and discover things.  I've been exploring a huge network of caves that I was lucky enough to spawn near in my game.  It's a huge 'bottomless' chasm that, while I was exploring all the various cave offshoots, I eventually found the bottom of.  Every time I think I've fully explored this network, I find some dark corner that leads off somewhere new, or stumble across a whole new cave while digging out coal or gravel.  I even struck gold once - I've got 4 whole bars, now.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 17, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »

Apparently, Gabe's weekend was assassinated by Minecraft as well:

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 17, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

Sales are continuing to grow, it is insane.  He is over 5000 sales in the last 24 hours.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 17, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

I hope they come out with some way to patch without me having to re-install all the texture mods again.  it's kinda annoying.

on the plus side each time I forget to back up the creeper skin the face gets better.  Imagine a creeper skinned with rock textures for a truly scary underground experience.

Because I can,
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 17, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »

Wah!  I died for the first time today.

After being exceptionally careful exploring my first cave network and only finding one (rarely two) evil spawn at a time, I'd gone 2 full days of playing this excessively without dying once.

Then I found a new cave in a mountain side, started digging to find my way down and hear at least 3 or 4 foes nearby.  I finally get to where I can see them and, oh look, they're way down there and I'm up here.  Let's go explore in the opposite direction and I'll be fine.  I find a huge cavern behind a waterfall, place a torch and see something moving in the distance.  Let's get out my sword and show him what's what.  What's the quickest way down from this ledge?  *BOOM*  The stupid creeper shows me the quickest way down - taking half my HP in the process.  But I'm still alive so that's good.  *THWACK* Uh, oh...  I better give that archer a face full of sword before he gives me a body full of arrows.  I run over and start attacking, when I see something else come out of the shadows.  *BOOM* I'm dead.  Fucking creepers.

I did get back to get my stuff, and got attacked by a spider- losing half my HP before I killed it. No string either.  I've only killed a few spiders so far, and none have given string.  I'm never getting a bow. frown

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 17, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »

Is there any easy way to gift this to someone?  I have a (really skint) friend who would absolutely cream his jeans at this game.

In other news, I can't believe how addictive Minecraft is.  I'll be playing it as often as possible this weekend.

Steam profile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: September 17, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2010, 02:50:50 PM

I hope they come out with some way to patch without me having to re-install all the texture mods again.  it's kinda annoying.

Just have a premade directory holding all the texture mods (like how you download all of them off of the net), patch the game, then open up the main Minecraft.jar with 7zip or Winrar and copy the folder in. Easy and with Win7 now having a 'saved' Explorer window holding where Minecraft is installed to, it takes about 15 seconds to do.

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 17, 2010, 04:11:15 PM

Is there any easy way to gift this to someone?  I have a (really skint) friend who would absolutely cream his jeans at this game.

Easiest way is to just make an account and buy the game though that. Give the account info to a friend and then have him change the password.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 17, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »

Ah well, that'll have to do.  Cheers Destructor.

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 17, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 17, 2010, 06:11:15 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2010, 02:50:50 PM

Just have a premade directory holding all the texture mods (like how you download all of them off of the net), patch the game, then open up the main Minecraft.jar with 7zip or Winrar and copy the folder in. Easy and with Win7 now having a 'saved' Explorer window holding where Minecraft is installed to, it takes about 15 seconds to do.

yeah, it's simple, just annoying.  mostly because I keep forgetting to backup stuff I change and have to re-do them  icon_lol

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 17, 2010, 06:54:28 PM

Ah well, that'll have to do.  Cheers Destructor.

Wait!  There is a way you can gift this to a friend!  It's a link on the website:

http://minecraft.net/gift.jsp

Just have them create an account on the main Minecraft site, then you enter their name in the box at that link and pay for it.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

Fantastic!  I hadn't bought it yet, so thanks for that Max!

Steam profile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 17, 2010, 10:53:46 PM »

Holy cow...

1669 players online, in 721 servers.
688944 registered users, of which 169337 (24.57%) have bought the game.

In the last 24 hours, 13167 people registered, and 6073 people bought the game.

What is the over/under on when he will hit 200,000 sold?  Can it really keep up the current pace, or even continue growing in copies bought per hour?  I would love to know how many of the copies sold are due to the Penny Arcade strip. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »

The last few days (or for more than that, I don't know) he's been sustaining 4000-4500 sales a day. So it's not that huge of a spike, but definitely a spike none the less.

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »

I'm not sure how well this translates from the screen shot, but...

I was looking out from my home/cave at night and saw something burning in the distance.  So once the sun came up, I headed over in that direction and found a burning log floating in the air.   eek  It must be a sign from the gods of this land!

I had found that lava flow earlier and was digging out a trench to see how it would flow.  I don't recall a tree being there, but what I guess happened was it grew and the leaves caught on fire from a spark of the lava, as well as the bottom of the trunk.  They burned away and left behind what I found.  I wonder if it'll keep burning like that or if it'll eventually go out?

-TMBG
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2010, 12:08:35 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on September 17, 2010, 11:59:22 PM

They burned away and left behind what I found.  I wonder if it'll keep burning like that or if it'll eventually go out?

Fire will spread on wood and leaves, but sometimes it gets weird and won't go out and you'll get stuck with floating tree bits.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: September 18, 2010, 12:27:26 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 17, 2010, 11:00:53 PM

The last few days (or for more than that, I don't know) he's been sustaining 4000-4500 sales a day. So it's not that huge of a spike, but definitely a spike none the less.

Yeah, I think it has actually been around or above 4000 per day the last couple weeks (I check not-quite-daily when I remember).  My money on hitting 200,000 would be by the end of this weekend.  Between PA and the RPS articles it has gotten quite a bit of press this week.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:33:12 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: September 18, 2010, 02:13:52 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 18, 2010, 12:08:35 AM

Quote from: Tscott on September 17, 2010, 11:59:22 PM

They burned away and left behind what I found.  I wonder if it'll keep burning like that or if it'll eventually go out?
Fire will spread on wood and leaves, but sometimes it gets weird and won't go out and you'll get stuck with floating tree bits.

Or, if you manually set fire to the top of a wood block, it'll stay lit forever (for fireplaces and such like in our succession map) without spreading. Most of the time. This bit of coding is what causes the floating tree bits I think.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 18, 2010, 03:45:13 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 17, 2010, 11:00:53 PM

Well, I wonder how many more sales he would have if his store worked better for him.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 18, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »

Dammit...why did I show this to my girlfriend?  Now she wants to play it all weekend too. frown

Edit: Now she's roped our daughter into it.  Goodbye Minecraft, I hardly knew you!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:00:42 AM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Steam profile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:25 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on September 18, 2010, 08:21:35 AM

Dammit...why did I show this to my girlfriend?  Now she wants to play it all weekend too. frown

Edit: Now she's roped our daughter into it.  Goodbye Minecraft, I hardly knew you!

Clearly you need to buy more copies and have more PCs to play it on.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 18, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on September 18, 2010, 10:33:25 AM

Clearly you need to buy more copies and have more PCs to play it on.

No flies on you, huh?

Steam profile
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 18, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »

I continue to hold off trying this one out until it's a little more fleshed out.

Is that a mistake?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 18, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on September 18, 2010, 12:46:49 PM

I continue to hold off trying this one out until it's a little more fleshed out.

Is that a mistake?

well the price will go up once it's out of Alpha, and it is pretty fun as it is.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 18, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on September 18, 2010, 12:46:49 PM

Is that a mistake?

There's no long-term goal at the moment, but the game is horribly addictive already.  Don't worry about the alpha tag; in Minecraft's case it's more a case of not being feature-complete than being full of bugs.  I've only just started playing myself but apparently new stuff gets added all the time.  And as CeeKay said, the price will only go up.  I'd say buy now, definitely.

Steam profile
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: