http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 08:29:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 60638 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2010, 04:19:13 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on August 15, 2010, 02:49:13 PM

I remotely connected to my server today, and was connected to it for about an hour, then the client went black.  When I get home, I bet I'll see:

lost connection: Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

for my connection.  That's the error message I see for everyone on my server.

I am using a server wrapper that I don't believe was updated when Notch updated the server.  That could be the source of the issues.  I'll update that wrapper when I get home today (around 12pm pacific time)

What's weird is that I've been on the entire morning (and am still on as of this instant) since about 45 minutes or so before you posted. Game is crash free and lag is pretty much nil. Been building a lot of stuff as well.

EDIT: And msduncan...holy hell that had to have been a ton of work. Looks great though.

A few things:

1) Inventory management and smelting 'work' in multiplayer right now. Yeah, you can't store anything, but with a Minecraft wrapper, it'll remember everything on you whenever you log out/in.
2) Smelting, while buggy (you have to 'light' the stove by using a lighter on the block below the stove) works (mostly - you can't step away from said stove while it's working as otherwise the items go poof either).
3) Water doesn't flow right at all. Infinite water generators just don't work, and there's no way to level off water right now either.
4) Doors are finicky as well. They work mostly, but have issues.

Multiplayer is definitely alpha at this state, but it works well enough to mess around in.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:23:48 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »

damn msduncan, that looks pretty cool.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »

That is awesome MSD.

My biggest challenge right now is finding enough iron to actually do anything with it.  I found enough to craft a full suit of armor and a sword, but that's about it.  I can't imagine finding enough to actually build minecart tracks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 15, 2010, 05:07:34 PM

That is awesome MSD.

My biggest challenge right now is finding enough iron to actually do anything with it.  I found enough to craft a full suit of armor and a sword, but that's about it.  I can't imagine finding enough to actually build minecart tracks.

I haven't really been bothering with armor.   half the time I don't realize it's gone away anyways.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 15, 2010, 04:19:13 PM

Quote from: MaxSteele on August 15, 2010, 02:49:13 PM

I remotely connected to my server today, and was connected to it for about an hour, then the client went black.  When I get home, I bet I'll see:

lost connection: Internal exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

for my connection.  That's the error message I see for everyone on my server.

I am using a server wrapper that I don't believe was updated when Notch updated the server.  That could be the source of the issues.  I'll update that wrapper when I get home today (around 12pm pacific time)

What's weird is that I've been on the entire morning (and am still on as of this instant) since about 45 minutes or so before you posted. Game is crash free and lag is pretty much nil. Been building a lot of stuff as well.

EDIT: And msduncan...holy hell that had to have been a ton of work. Looks great though.

A few things:

1) Inventory management and smelting 'work' in multiplayer right now. Yeah, you can't store anything, but with a Minecraft wrapper, it'll remember everything on you whenever you log out/in.
2) Smelting, while buggy (you have to 'light' the stove by using a lighter on the block below the stove) works (mostly - you can't step away from said stove while it's working as otherwise the items go poof either).
3) Water doesn't flow right at all. Infinite water generators just don't work, and there's no way to level off water right now either.
4) Doors are finicky as well. They work mostly, but have issues.

Multiplayer is definitely alpha at this state, but it works well enough to mess around in.

I'll check my logs for your connection when I get home.  Lemme know if you get any weirdness with the server while you're playing.  Try to note the time when it happened and I'll compare with the logs.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »

I'm off the server now, but it was great this morning. Let me log on and make sure all my changes to the world are there.

EDIT: Yup, everything is as I left it short of more time passing (tree growth). No idea why you saw all those errors in your log.

msduncan - how did you create your underground grotto anyway? Did you just craft upwards from the sea floor, or did you empty out all the water first? I tried making one in one of my maps, and it was a royal pain in the rear to do (but what little I did looked really cool after).

My underwater grotto.   I am researching ways to get grass to grow down here.   I think I need to bridge from the main island above ground and let it slowly spread to down here.   That will take a while:

Yeah, you'll need to make a step of sorts (grass must be connected to another grass, plus it'll only travel up or down one block at a time) all the way on down. And yeah, it's not exactly fast either. But then you'll have plenty of critters underwater.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:42:44 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2010, 06:54:31 PM »

Yep, server looked good.  And my error was the "end of stream" issue that some people have been seeing.  I wasn't exactly on the most stable computer, so I'm not going to worry about that one.

I think it was the SETI@Home I've been running when the system goes idle.  It's designed to suck up all of your system resources to process data packs.  I've turned it off.

I think people won't get disconnected randomly now because of that.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 15, 2010, 06:30:42 PM

msduncan - how did you create your underground grotto anyway? Did you just craft upwards from the sea floor, or did you empty out all the water first? I tried making one in one of my maps, and it was a royal pain in the rear to do (but what little I did looked really cool after).
I have played with this idea, and can't figure out how to do it exactly. Judging by the screenshots, it looks like MSDuncan hollowed out an island and then let the water in? Is that how it works?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2010, 07:40:50 PM »

Nope.    I dove down under the water and built a small room.   This room is the site of my entrance to the base.    I then went about making the rest using these tedious steps:

I would build a solid block hallway or room, and then use a pick to hollow the inside of the room or hallway back out.   The blocks I placed displaces the water and so when I mine the rocks back out the water is gone.     I would construct the build and hallway structures initially while submerged a good ways underwater, which is why needed a diving bell.

Did I explain that well enough?   It is harder to explain than I thought
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »

I'm basically waiting for MP server that is feature complete (so far).  Then we can all rock out. smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on August 15, 2010, 08:48:13 PM

I'm basically waiting for MP server that is feature complete (so far).  Then we can all rock out. smile

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. I just wonder how long it'll take Notch to get mobs working (as I'm assuming it's a lot of data to keep forwarding to all the clients).

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »

Yeah, this is still crashing client-side.  There isn't enough information right now to find out what the problem is.

My server will be up and down intermittently now while I try to determine what exactly is causing this.

You're welcome to try and connect still, but know that it's going to be unstable.

EDIT:

I tried to set up a whole new instance of the server in a different directory.  When I try to connect to it with my client, all I get is "End of Stream".  As soon as I use the original installation, it works fine (until it crashes).

I think I may be done with getting a server running until Notch has it more stable. smile
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:03:57 PM by MaxSteele » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »

That's so weird. I went from crashing every 15-20 minutes or so (when you were running your screensaver) to playing for 3 hours straight this morning. But I also didn't do any real traveling this morning (mainly just building near the spawn area) so maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 15, 2010, 10:36:00 PM

That's so weird. I went from crashing every 15-20 minutes or so (when you were running your screensaver) to playing for 3 hours straight this morning. But I also didn't do any real traveling this morning (mainly just building near the spawn area) so maybe that has something to do with it. I dunno.

Yeah, I think it's directly related to loading up different chunks of the map. 

I will definitely re-visit setting up a server when Notch puts in server-side inventory, fixes furnaces, and has the day/night cycle with monsters.  Right now it's really just creative mode with dynamically created terrain.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »

Thanks for the test at least MaxSteele. It's been a lot of fun and I look forward to the full multiplayer component once it's up to par.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »

This map I'm on is really strange...there's simply no caves.  Anywhere.  I just wandered for 2 full days in two separate directions, and didn't come across a single one.

Needless to say, finding any resources without caves or dungeons to explore is a bit on the challenging side.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »

on my current map (still on the same one I've been posting pics of ) I'm starting to have trouble finding iron ore.  there's tons of coal though.

the latest outcropping may be the launching point for my underwater base.  I haven't decided how insane I want to get yet.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2010, 04:27:07 AM »

So I finally gave this game a try today and I have to say that yes, my day was assassinated by Minecraft!  Now I guess I have to go back and read through all 11 pages of this thread so I'm not repeating stuff.

I did find it a bit off-putting at first because you really have no idea what to do, where to go, or how to do anything.  After checking out a few beginning tutorials on YouTube I at least knew how to craft a couple basic things.  Then I quickly discovered for myself that night is to be feared, fighting enemies is pretty much worthless, and you shouldn't lose your house. 

I'm not sure how much longer I will keep going since there isn't really any end goal, but for now I'm having lots of fun exploring, mining, farming, and building a giant castle.  Hopefully I can find some more iron that isn't in some area where I get totally lost again.

Oh, one other thing I discovered, is that if you think you're being clever and building a really wide house on top of a small hill, you're not.  It will cast enough shadow down underneath the parts that overhang such that monsters will hide in there during the daylight and chase your ass down as you try to go out for a morning stroll.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:51:42 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 16, 2010, 04:27:07 AM

So I finally gave this game a try today and I have to say that yes, my day was assassinated by Minecraft!  Now I guess I have to go back and read through all 11 pages of this thread so I'm not repeating stuff.

Welcome to the party! Ask any questions you might have - we're here to help you get yet more days assassinated by Minecraft. biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 16, 2010, 05:20:30 AM »

well frack me... I'm totally lost in my latest exploration above ground.  when I started my save game was only 8 megs, and now it's 38 megs.  I wish cartographer put a 'you are here' marker down on the maps.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:37 AM »

aha!  I just made my own marking I could find on the map and made my way home.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2010, 06:36:50 AM »

ugh...just saw this over at Qt3   eek

A new one
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: August 16, 2010, 07:39:06 AM »

Holy

Shit

Damn

Fuck

Wow.........

*Jaw finally falls off face*

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

it's only a model.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 16, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 07:47:16 AM

it's only a model.

??

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 16, 2010, 07:56:45 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 07:47:16 AM

it's only a model.

??

facepalm

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 16, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »

Does GT have a serve like the one QT3 has set up? If so, I'm definitely getting this game to build cool shit with you guys.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 16, 2010, 02:07:54 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 16, 2010, 01:35:36 PM

Does GT have a serve like the one QT3 has set up? If so, I'm definitely getting this game to build cool shit with you guys.

MaxSteele tried but it wouldn't stay stable.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 16, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 02:07:54 PM

KHAAAAAAAN!!!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on August 16, 2010, 02:29:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 02:07:54 PM

KHAAAAAAAN!!!!

And the game is far from complete in multiplayer as well. Smelting is in as a hack, inventory remembrance is in as a hack, and there's no mobs at all (short of a hack, and that only summons buggy pigs).

Give it a bit more time. Then multiplayer will rock and we'll rule the Minecraft world. biggrin

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 16, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 05:20:30 AM

well frack me... I'm totally lost in my latest exploration above ground.  when I started my save game was only 8 megs, and now it's 38 megs.  I wish cartographer put a 'you are here' marker down on the maps.

Toss down a ton of torches. That should provide a decent "SOS" from above.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 16, 2010, 04:14:13 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 16, 2010, 05:20:30 AM

Toss down a ton of torches. That should provide a decent "SOS" from above.

I was light on equipment since I was exploring so I just dug a big rectangle in a wide open space with landmarks around so I could easily determine the direction to go.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 16, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »

Here is something new...

So I start up a new map, trying to get a snow map to build a snow fort. This map wasn't snow, so I walked forward to take a look around and suddenly I was like WTF!!! When this showed up on my screen:

A giant wall of ROCK! I even got to watch as the water spawned and began to flow out of the side!

And here is the Cartography (which I lovingly call MineCart) map of this "Plateau Map."

Very surprising... to say the least!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »

wow... you need to carve your home out of the rocks, and maybe some statues too.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »

It gets stranger... As I carved into the rock I saw a little "light" peeking through. I fell through the hole with the light to find an entire hollowed out area full of water and rock above me!!!

You better believe I'm going to climb up to the source of that waterfall!

I just got the new client, so I wonder if there is some sort of bug in the level generation.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2010, 12:01:07 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on August 16, 2010, 09:42:59 PM

It gets stranger... As I carved into the rock I saw a little "light" peeking through. I fell through the hole with the light to find an entire hollowed out area full of water and rock above me!!!

You better believe I'm going to climb up to the source of that waterfall!

I just got the new client, so I wonder if there is some sort of bug in the level generation.

Nah, not a bug.  People over at the Minecraft forums have had these formations created also.  It's definitely very epic-looking. smile
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:01 AM »

Umm, so I fired the game up tonight and my saved game is not in the list.  There are only 5 "- empty -" slots and the Delete Game option.  I looked in my user\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\ folder and I see a bunch of save data in there but the game doesn't seem to find it. 

What the heck?  There isn't even an option to load from a directory.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2010, 04:24:34 AM »

So, the level generation bug is basically caused by the game not completely clearing out your old deleted data when you generate a new map. I've read reports of people suddenly getting their old houses back and such as well, so it's definitely not limited to just the landscape.

And EngineNo9 - not sure what happened to your saves. The code for how the saves are stored or anything hasn't changed that I know of, so no idea.

EDIT: Look at this thread for some ideas on how to get your saves fixed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:36:23 AM by Destructor » Logged

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2010, 04:55:19 AM »

That makes sense then, my giant plateau level. The plateau is actually hollow and floating, and I can watch the moon and sun rise inside of it.

I'm still going to explore it... because it looks too awesome not to!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: