http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:53:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 60624 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2010, 05:47:01 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2010, 05:22:25 AM

OK, I officially hate you all for introducing me to this game.  you're all a bunch of crack dealers  Tongue

ps.  does the game save to the HD, or is it save online?  if so where?

That's what friends are for. biggrin

I still need to buy it though...

And from what I've read elsewhere, the game saves locally onto your HD. Not sure where offhand.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »

found the saves.  in windows 7 it's at C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »

Man, my lappy gets VERY hot when running this new build. Does that happen to anyone else?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:30 PM »

I noticed my laptop was running pretty hot this morning as well although now that I think about it the laptop was running hot yesterday as well so may not be new.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

yeah, I noticed my PC fans were running hared than usual, so I checked the temps and they were definitely above what they were the first night I played Minecraft.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »

Friday update!  Notch is the gr8est Minecraft programmer evar!!1!!1

- Clay grows near water
- Fire clay in the furnace to get a brick
- Combine 4 bricks together to make a brick block
- Papyrus grows near water.  You can cut the tops off of papyrus and they'll grow back
- You can plant a stalk of papyrus near water for it to grow
- 3 papyrus makes a paper
- 3 paper with 6 plank blocks makes a bookshelf
- use a bucket on a cow to get a bucket of milk (no use for milk yet)
- small, medium, and big slimes will spawn in caves.  small slimes are harmless, medium and big slimes spit and cause damage
- Killing a slime gets a slime ball.  No known use yet
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 06:23:04 PM »

Oh dear lord... I just was learning the current system!

Bricks... excellent.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:21 PM »

Did something happen to the armor recipes?  I'm having trouble and wasn't before.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »

Quote from: DonD on July 23, 2010, 09:39:21 PM

Did something happen to the armor recipes?  I'm having trouble and wasn't before.

As of last week, you cannot make wool armor from the wool of sheep.  You need to use leather, dropped from cows.

I believe there is also chainmail added today, but I'm not sure what the resources are for making that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

here's some shots of my work in progress from last night/very early this morning.  it spawned me in a good location, I've barely had to do any exploring yet.

the main entrance to Castle CeeKay.  it's a lot bigger than it looks.....  oh, and I was going to try and make the cross an ankh eventually.  it's funny, as I was building it skeletal archers kept on trying to ht me but kept missing.

this is looking DOWN from the main entrance.  I figure I'll go upward eventually in an annex I'm working on.

the rear entrance, plus just a few feet behind that door is my respawn point.  it's nice and secure.  the pit in the background to the left of the door is an annex I'm working on, which currently has 2 and 1/2 floors plus a tunnel system that goes under the seabed and into the main undertower.

I wish the water physics were a bit better, like if they ran out of corridor to flow down they'd start filling up the corridor instead of staying the same level.so hope at some point they introduce enemies that are a bit more aggressive.  oh, and they need to put bells on the creepers.  one got behind me last night, and I heard a hissing sound without knowing what it was.  BOOM!  I damn near jumped out of my chair.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:41:52 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »

So I haven't had any luck finding this clay or bamboo... anyone spot them yet?

Nice castle Ceekay, much more ambitious than the hovels I typically craft.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »

You are witnessing the moment before a GT member blindly buys a game due to forum peer pressure.

I have no idea if I will like it.   I have no idea if it will be worth it.   I have no idea if I will be hopelessly addicted by the end of the weekend.

Going to the site now...
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »

I haven't seen any of the new stuff tonight.  I started a new map just in case it made a difference.

Here's a tip:  When you make glass blocks, it doesn't use up coal for each block (you lose coal for every so many blocks, but it's a lot like 8-10).  You can also dump your coal and the other secret ingredient (won't spoil it, but it's linked above anyway) into the forge and leave it there and come back later to pick up your glass.

The advantage of glass, in addition to just looking cool, is that the light can pass through.  Glass roof -> Greenhouse!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »

I had no clue about glass blocks until you mentioned them.  I guess all that sand will come in handy!  icon_biggrin

Quote from: msduncan on July 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM

You are witnessing the moment before a GT member blindly buys a game due to forum peer pressure.

I have no idea if I will like it.   I have no idea if it will be worth it.   I have no idea if I will be hopelessly addicted by the end of the weekend.

Going to the site now...

I did the same thing.  save yourself, run while you still can!

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »

ok so at the moment I have zero clue as to what I'm doing.   I'm just sorta wandering around a blocky countryside near the ocean?   I can pick up a few things but I have NO CLUE what to do with anything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 01:53:18 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 24, 2010, 01:14:39 AM

ok so at the moment I have zero clue as to what I'm doing.   I'm just sorta wandering around a blocky countryside near the ocean?   I can pick up a few things but I have NO CLUE what to do with anything.

maybe this video will help a bit.  some of it may be outdated but it might help give you a better idea than I could.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:17 AM »

How do you switch between modes?

Is alpha in only one mode?

I'm not seeing anything like what he's describing.   I do not start out in a hut.    I also don't get those options when I create the world that I see in the video you linked.    Did I download the wrong version or something?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:28:06 AM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2010, 02:49:06 AM »

ok I'm slowly starting to figure it out.....

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »

Personal Diary

Night 1:    Managed to craft a workbench out of wood today.    From that I made a wooden pick, harvested some stone and made a stone pick.     I knew I was in trouble when it started getting dark.   I found some coal and fashioned some torches.     I burrowed into the side of the cliff and hung the lit torches up on the walls.     Bad things come out at night around here.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55:39 AM »

Bad things come out at night around here.

The first thing you learn in that game is to build a house so that you can sit in a corner and cry softly at night so the horrifying monsters won't find you.

Say what you will, but those blocky bastard scare me more than anything since System Shock 2. I see a Creeper (BOOM!) and I nearly pee myself! Worse when you see the guy jumping like a mad idiot right outside the glass in your door!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2010, 04:02:26 AM »

Wait a sec.... I thought torches scared them away?   All I did was tunnel into the side of the mountain a few halls and rooms and put torches up.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:26 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 24, 2010, 02:20:17 AM

I'm not seeing anything like what he's describing.   I do not start out in a hut.    I also don't get those options when I create the world that I see in the video you linked.    Did I download the wrong version or something?

Help me out then...I'm completely lost.  Whenever I start a game, I'm just in a big field with nothing around.  I can run around, dig, and hit things, but that's it.  Where do you get the "start in a hut" option?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2010, 04:18:06 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2010, 04:15:26 AM

Help me out then...I'm completely lost.  Whenever I start a game, I'm just in a big field with nothing around.  I can run around, dig, and hit things, but that's it.  Where do you get the "start in a hut" option?

I dont think you get that anymore.   I think you are supposed to run up to the nearest tree and hold down the left mouse button until you chop that section out.   Then you proceed to do the same thing to several trees.   Then you hit the I key and start arranging the wood in your crafting pane and make some stakes.   Then you arrange 3 planks across the top and two stakes vertically down the middle and craft a pick axe.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:44 AM »

I somehow managed to create a crafting box like the one the guy made in CK's video (no idea how...just started moving shit around in the Inventory screen), but don't have a clue how to use it.  "Q" throws it on the ground, but that's about all I can seem to do with it.

Too tired to try and figure this out tonight...maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2010, 05:09:07 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2010, 04:30:44 AM

I somehow managed to create a crafting box like the one the guy made in CK's video (no idea how...just started moving shit around in the Inventory screen), but don't have a clue how to use it.  "Q" throws it on the ground, but that's about all I can seem to do with it.

Too tired to try and figure this out tonight...maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

you need to put it on your hotbar (the one at the bottom of the screen that you scroll through with the mousewheel), select it and then right click on an open piece of ground.  then whenever you have your crosshairs on it you right click and the crafting window comes up. 

one thing I didn't understand about crafting is that you place items in the crafting grid in a pattern to get items.  for example, you want a chest:

Spoiler for Hiden:
PPP
P*P
PPP

P is for wooden plank, * is nothing.

this site was listed before and lists recipes.  I used it to get started out after not realizing what I said about the crafting grid, and occasionally return to it if I cannot figure out something to see if it's even possible to make what I have in mind.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:05 AM »

some more experimentation:

ever wonder how high you can go with stacking stuff?

I had a full stack of 64 blocks when I started as a fairly low point, after I put 61 down it wouldn't let me stack anymore.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2010, 05:55:38 AM »

one last shot:  a night one looking at my hovel:

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2010, 06:11:35 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 24, 2010, 04:02:26 AM

Wait a sec.... I thought torches scared them away?   All I did was tunnel into the side of the mountain a few halls and rooms and put torches up.

From what I've read, enemies (short of slimes apparently) can not spawn in an area with light. So Mr. Creeper can't spawn anywhere near a torch, but he most definitely can spawn farther away and then come into the light (and then blow it and you up).

This is why you don't see enemies spawn during daylight - there's light everywhere, so no spawning there. And most of them die outright if sunlight hits them.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »

I have discovered FIRE!

it's cool that the fire actually spreads over time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:38:25 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 24, 2010, 04:15:26 AM

I'm not seeing anything like what he's describing.   I do not start out in a hut.    I also don't get those options when I create the world that I see in the video you linked.    Did I download the wrong version or something?

Help me out then...I'm completely lost.  Whenever I start a game, I'm just in a big field with nothing around.  I can run around, dig, and hit things, but that's it.  Where do you get the "start in a hut" option?

That was from an older version, the current Alpha does not have that.  You start with nothing but your bare hands, which amazingly can chop down trees.

Here is a good list of info:

Forum Post has some good info:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17013

Really long thread on Quarter to Three about Minecraft, highly recommend the read:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=60249

And then stolen from the Quarter to Three forum thread:

-Punch down a tree
-go into inventory ("i"), use crafting to turn it into planks
-punch down a bunch of trees or sand or earth and either build a shelter or find a nice small cave
-make a crafting table (four planks in the crafting area)
-build a door with those planks
-fortify your shelter with a door
-make some sticks (two planks in a row)
-throw down the crafting table and use it to:
-make some pickaxes (2 sticks in the bottom middle and middle middle, three planks across the top
-GOGOGOGOGO find coal!
-make torches (a stick with a coal on it)
-put torches in your shelter
-you are now safe for the night, time to use your creativity!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »

Started a new map last night.  I didn't see any ore or caves after a brief look around so I immediately went to work tunneling into the mountain behind me.  I build walls and a roof for my new shelter.  It was too dark inside when night came, so I worked outside in the moonlight harvesting sand.  There were a few 'incidents' with wandering creatures, including one particularly nasty spider, but after a few respawns, he was dead and I was able to get back to work.

Come morning, I went back to my tunneling and soon found a few specks of coal.  With the ability to craft a torch, the mining operation went into full production.  We finished off the front of our shelter and put up a door, made another door to keep the mining operation separated and kept digging.

We found some ore and more coal, and eventually poked through to the other side of the mountain.

With our first objective accomplished, we went about sprucing up our appearance.  A front walk was created and flowers planted.  Since we had coal to spare, we tore down the front of our house and replaced the stone front with a much nicer glass front.

Having learned my lesson from earlier efforts, I knew I needed a beacon to be able to find my way back once I started exploring so I made an observation tower with some of the harvested stone.  The extra glass came in handy at the top.

From the top, I could see an exposed opening to an underground cavern.  I investigated but there wasn't much inside besides some coal and one of those green explodey guys.  I climbed out from the other side, looked around, and immediately could find where I was.  Bingo!

With new confidence, I roamed further afield.  I spotted bamboo:

I saw a weird, naturally-occuring formation:

I just had to investigate it.  Once up top, I looked around.  I spotted this little wonder:

The shadows were lengthening and I wasn't supplied well enough for spelunking, so I headed back to base to unload things I wouldn't need and to load up on torches, picks, and swords.  That cave will have to wait until tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:35:51 PM by DonD » Logged

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

Stoopid game. Just put a needle in my arm and inject this shit. Seriously.

I was laying in bed this morning thinking "Gee it's nice out. I should get up and put the pork shoulder on the smoker for the day."

Two hours later I'm still hunched over my laptop crafting blocks and sticks and trying to hide in my little cave/castle at night. The pork shoulder is still in the fridge and the sun is up.

Stoopid game.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »

How do you take screenshots?   Or are you doing a print screen and then resizing or something?

I'm rapidly catching on now.    I've created a chest, furnace, sword, doors, torches, and a boat.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 24, 2010, 03:03:45 PM

How do you take screenshots?   Or are you doing a print screen and then resizing or something?

right now I'm doing print screen; I really ened to get FRAPS back.  the beacon is a good idea, I'll have to incorporate it into either annex A or B, probably A since it's taller.  on the plus side since I cleared the forest surrounding my hovel (slash and burn baby!) I should be able to see it quite easily.

Because I can,
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »

I ventured out and established an outpost a bit farther from my original starting point.    A simple place really... just a room, chest, furnace, workbench and doors to keep the baddies out.   

Unfortunately I went exploring the countryside and fell down a huge vertical shaft to my death and lost all my possessions.    Ran back to my original starting point and weathered the night without anything in my inventory.   In other words.... it was a long night because I couldn't even craft anything.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »

I can't get Fraps to work with this game.    crybaby

What the hell?   I can't get print screen to work either?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:08:36 PM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »

Ok so here was my starting point where I was getting my feet wet last night.   Eventually built a decent shelter inside this hill.

Looking out the front door, you can see some interesting formations in the distance:

I waited until morning and made my way over to these formations.    First things first... I built a base camp so that I could spend the night.    Here is a view of the camp built into the side of the hill:

As you can see, it is very basic inside:

Time to explore the nearby canyon:

And then further inside the canyon I find a spring flowing out of the side of the rock:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:55:18 PM by msduncan » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »

There is a pretty darn deep cave nearby that I want to explore.   I think I'll carry some torches, a pick and put everything else into the chest in my base camp to see what I can find down there.    If there are any monsters inside and I die, at least I won't lose all my stuff.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »

And finally boughtenen. Now to take some pictures (real nice looking mountain range across the ocean where I started) and waste the hours away. biggrin

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:13 PM »

Huge setback in Work.Minecraft (I play at work, during breaks/lunches, and at home).  Was building that bridge and fell off.  Splat.  IT was nighttime then, and I ran home to hide.  Came back the next morning...and everything was gone, including my diamond pick, all my stone....everything.  Regrouping now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: