http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 56725 times)
Vidiot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on July 27, 2010, 03:01:58 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 02:07:49 PM

on a side note, has anyone seen the recipe for explosives?   I'm not sure how anyone figured that one out on their own.

Yeah, its pretty nuts. Even more nuts is that you can only get that gunpowder needed for it by killing Creepers! I would love to use TNT to clear large areas, but there is no way I'm going to kill that many Creepers to make it viable.

BTW, how are you guys hosting pictures? I have built a Sphinx to go with my Lighthouse and mountaintop abode, and I would love to post what it looks like.

There is a thread on the official forums about building cannons to launch dynamite at a wall.  Unfortunately it uses a lot of dynamite to fire.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »

I hate you all...took a look at this, and thought, hey - this could be fun for an hour or so before levelling my Warden in Lord of the rings Online...

now, most of the damn game has gone by, and I have a hut, and a complex Mines of Moria look-alike place built into the mountains, and I cant stop thinking about what I should build next.

I'm still scared witless by the mobs, and I havent found anything other than 4-5 pieces of iron but I'm having a grand time!

damn you all!

Btw, this is from minecrafts stats section
In the last 24 hours, 1857 people registered, and 594 people bought the game.

thats not a bad income for a days work, eh?

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on July 27, 2010, 03:01:58 PM

BTW, how are you guys hosting pictures? I have built a Sphinx to go with my Lighthouse and mountaintop abode, and I would love to post what it looks like.

Hit PrintScreen, crop the picture in Irfanview, and take the lazy way and upload them directly to GT via Additional Options. biggrin

Quote from: Razgon on July 27, 2010, 03:46:27 PM

I hate you all...took a look at this, and thought, hey - this could be fun for an hour or so before levelling my Warden in Lord of the rings Online...

now, most of the damn game has gone by, and I have a hut, and a complex Mines of Moria look-alike place built into the mountains, and I cant stop thinking about what I should build next.

Congratulations - you're one of us now. Welcome to the addictive fun that is Minecraft. biggrin

And attached is now what my little area looks like - that tower went up in an hour or so and looks great from both in and outside it. Gives a great view of my empire as well.

What's on my to-do list... Get more lava (perfect for wiping out tons of slimes - great to carry around since it's reusable, but makes such a mess of things in the process), add bookcases into my place (not pictured - I have a 3 level cave through those doors under the waterfall, which then proceeds into my mine of absolutely huge), and tidy up things. Maybe I need to make a 'summer retreat' or something of the sort too.

Who knows. The sky is the limit with this game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »

Also using photobucket.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »

And here's a post showing just how insanely complicated Minecraft can be (assuming you go nuts with the redstone switches):

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20505

BTW - if you want to make paintings, the Wiki is wrong - it requires one sheep wool instead of one stone block like the Wiki shows.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

My road....

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »

You should have made the road out of glass with a torch underneath each glass block, or better yet lava underneath so it could be seen from space.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

Last night I found what looks to be another huge cave system on my island. I'm debating how to tunnel over to it so I don't have to dodge monsters at night.  I also had an LOL moment: there was a skeletal archer outside in the water..... during the day!  The water wouldn't let him catch fire  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »

You know, I wonder if this might be worthy of a front page article.....

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 05:55:00 PM

You should have made the road out of glass with a torch underneath each glass block, or better yet lava underneath so it could be seen from space.

I can always change this later. smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2010, 06:38:32 PM »

Is the level changer still in the game? The one thats in ceekays video where you can change setting of your world and so on? I Cant find it anywhere if it is

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 27, 2010, 06:38:32 PM

Is the level changer still in the game? The one thats in ceekays video where you can change setting of your world and so on? I Cant find it anywhere if it is

You just have to keep generating worlds until you get either snow or not-snow (currently the only two settings in Survival).

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 06:13:02 PM

Hop to it, news boy! Make it so! biggrin

Quote from: Zarkon on July 27, 2010, 05:47:03 PM

My road....

I love how desolate the world looks in snow. I think I'll have to make that my third world (for whenever I restart again for fun).

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

I would consider this newsworthy.  Minecraft is sweeping through forums far and wide, garnering more and more press.  If you were really ambitious you would try and land an interview with the developer for us.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »

I have begun a big strip mine just to see what I can find.   It has taken hours so far.   Starcraft 2 sits unopened to my left.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 07:03:00 PM

I would consider this newsworthy.  Minecraft is sweeping through forums far and wide, garnering more and more press.  If you were really ambitious you would try and land an interview with the developer for us.

I'm just getting comfortable with the short news bits (ie not sweating bullets over something for ten minutes before I post it), I think someone more experienced at chaining more than two thoughts together at a time writing full articles might do it more justice.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2010, 07:26:14 PM »

With over 500 purchases within the last 24 hours, I'd say this game is going fast somewhere

A new one
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2010, 07:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 27, 2010, 07:26:14 PM

With over 500 purchases within the last 24 hours, I'd say this game is going fast somewhere

Earlier this year when I bought it there were around 200/day selling and I thought that was incredible. The best part is that nearly all of the money is going straight to the talent. If only the music industry worked like that.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »

I was bored while waiting for some stone to smelt so I started digging in a corner of my little hovel, I figured I would use up the stone axes I had made before going to iron.  Well about 20 rows down I hit a monster cave.  I mean this thing was huge!  I managed to find gold right away which I hadn't found at all in any other world I'd played and then wonders of wonder two diamond blocks.  By the time I got back to my smelting stone I had 3 full stacks of iron, around 30 gold bricks, 2.5 stacks of red stone and lots of slime drops as the cave had many of those in it.  I did find obsidian but with only two diamonds I can't mine it yet.  I think I've got most of the cave explored but there is the sound of slimes near one section that I'll need to look for.  It took me awhile the realize that the monster sounds will direct you to them, if you are pointing at them the noise is louder then if you are not.  Man that was fun but I can't find many mobs at night, is this usual for snow worlds?  I'd like to get a bow together and maybe some TNT.

The stairs down

The cave I broke into, so much coal I just left some lying around

Must find more diamond so I can get this stuff

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »

That stuff takes forever to mine; I'm thinking explosives.

Because I can,
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 07:45:48 PM

That stuff takes forever to mine; I'm thinking explosives.

I need to find creepers for that and I've only seen one so far in this game and that was after spending 3 nights outside hunting for them.  I'll keep trying though.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »

Glass road, day one.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »

Is there a use for slime drops?   I have like 3 full stacks of them.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »

Does obsidian blow up with TNT? You might check that.

Ok, here are some pics of my creations.

The Great Sphinx of Baeltopia (note the castle and lighthouse on the right corner):

Inside the Sphinx, a waterfall room:

The Sphinx's face and its lazy lava eyes, didn't work as I wanted:

The Castle and Lighthouse on the Hill (and in the Hill):

The Lava floor of the room I call "Contemplating Heaven and Hell:"

and the Cross ceiling:

Inside the lighthouse, and my failed experiment with red stone (basically now just a series of on/off levers):

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2010, 08:05:04 PM »

Looks good, Zarkon. I love how it glows from an extreme distance.

Quote from: msduncan on July 27, 2010, 08:02:21 PM

Is there a use for slime drops?   I have like 3 full stacks of them.

Quote from: msduncan on July 27, 2010, 07:20:18 PM

I have begun a big strip mine just to see what I can find.   It has taken hours so far.   Starcraft 2 sits unopened to my left.

Absolutely no use for slime drops. Yet. Maybe in a patch or three, or a Friday secret update. Who knows when though, if anything.

And same as far as Starcraft 2. Too busy playing Minecraft to fire it up.

EDIT: baelthazar, that's awesome. I would have never thought of doing something like that. You'll have to recreate it in our shared world or something.

As far as the fire in the eyes problem goes - dump in a bucket of lava in the other eye - that'll get it to balance out (assuming the spot for the eyes is a 1x3 trough, which I think it is).

And are redstone torches any brighter than normal ones? Or are they just used for switches and such and that's it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:08:45 PM by Destructor » Logged

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2010, 08:47:44 PM »

When you buy the game, do you get a downloadable version or does it still play in the browser?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 27, 2010, 08:47:44 PM

When you buy the game, do you get a downloadable version or does it still play in the browser?

You've always been able to download the main exe here, but without a user/pass that's flagged as purchased, it won't download the rest of the program.

In short, yes, you can play it either way. And you don't need an internet connection to play once you've downloaded it the first time (just to patch).

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:47 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stupid.   Stupid.  Stupid.

I did not back up my save file at all, because this whole thing started with me just messing around on the game.
Now suddenly the game is locking up when I move a certain distance away from my little house.      thumbsdown
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

Now it's locked immediately when it loads.   Frozen type locked up.   

All that Gold and Red stuff I had gone....      crybaby

I guess that's a sign I need to load up Starcraft 2.  frown
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 27, 2010, 10:12:49 PM

I guess that's a sign I need to load up Starcraft 2.  frown

Or make a new world and try try again.

Sorry to hear about that though. The joys of beta (alpha?) software.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »

Ceekay (and everyone else):

I can handle this over the next few days, it gives me a reason to get off my ass.

put any questions you guys have in the thread, I'll see what I can do.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »

Rephrasing:  Getting permission to do this. slywink
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »

Was very addicted to the game but now I am n vacation with a 2 year old MacBook Pro. It can play games like Half Life and Civ, but Minecraft crashes it hard.

Still, enjoying seeing what you guys are doing and can't wait to get back to my game to try what some of you guys are doing. Keep the screen shots coming.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 27, 2010, 10:56:25 PM

Was very addicted to the game but now I am n vacation with a 2 year old MacBook Pro. It can play games like Half Life and Civ, but Minecraft crashes it hard.

Still, enjoying seeing what you guys are doing and can't wait to get back to my game to try what some of you guys are doing. Keep the screen shots coming.

Even the browser version crashes it?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 11:10:35 PM

Haven't tried browser.   Will do that next.

I just spent 50 mins on hold with Blizzard Billing to get my authenticator removed from my battle.net account.   I erased the authenticator when I bought my iphone 4.    Yikes!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »

A few questions for the developer if we can get an interview.

• How have sales thus far surpassed or not lived up to your expectations?
  • Any plans to add mechanical devices into the game?  (Such as catapults, or say a water screw that could power an elevator in a piston fashion)
  • Are there any plans to add diagonal half blocks to allow for ramps?
  • I want to build a trap with a giant rolling boulder like in Indiana Jones, any chance we will at some point be able to craft giant boulders?
  • Mash up of previous questions on mechanical devices, and on traps.  What plans are there to flesh out trap making ability, such as concealed trap doors, swinging arms etc...
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »

And are redstone torches any brighter than normal ones? Or are they just used for switches and such and that's it?

From what I see, they are actually dimmer than torches. The redstone torches provide power sources for your redstone circuits. I'm not yet comfortable explaining it all, as I don't understand the whole circuit thing myself, but you can think of them similar to binary switches (i.e. off and on). People are using them for elaborate combination locks and blinking lights, at the moment. I suspect this will be something that get heavily added to as the development progresses.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 11:10:35 PM

Good idea, but yep, it crashes too. Didn't crash the computer this time, just the browser. I have 1gb of free memory and playing the download or browser version that 1gb is all used up. Game says it's not using anywhere near that much memory either.

A quick look at the official forums didn't turn up anything.
map

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »

Is anybody else getting the Java Binary crash? The game freezes I get a message that my video card has stopped responding but has recovered.
When I alt-ctrl-del out I get the Java SE Binary has stopped responding.

Save America, shoot your television.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »

ZOMG Undead!!! burn it with fire!

(glad to see you back BTW)

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2010, 02:26:33 AM »

You guys are playing in the browser, right?  Or are folks downloading?  And does it make a difference?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: