http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 01:31:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My weekend was assassinated by Minecraft  (Read 59420 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2010, 01:49:28 AM »

Well, I just started over on my world for the heck of it and decided on a completely different 'living' approach - underground and underneath a waterfall. No waterfalls nearby, so I'll do the next best thing - make one. Once I get some iron anyway. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »

finally got a snow world; it only took 7 tries.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »

How are you guys 'making' water?

Count me in for the succession game btw.   Until he adds multiplayer it will be the next best thing.  smile
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2010, 02:32:27 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 26, 2010, 02:05:40 AM

How are you guys 'making' water?

Count me in for the succession game btw.   Until he adds multiplayer it will be the next best thing.  smile

The way the water physics work - when you pick up water in a bucket, and then dump it on a block, it creates a "source".  Water will then flow from that source for several blocks.

Also, you can 'create' more sources of water by using a basin of at least 3 spaces.

If you place a source on either side of the 3 spaces, the middle space will turn into a source.

Also remember, water block will not flow over other water blocks.  Keep that in mind when placing water to fill up an area.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:40:08 AM by MaxSteele » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »

I have a huge cache of that red stone stuff now.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 26, 2010, 04:08:11 AM

I have a huge cache of that red stone stuff now.

Well, my "wired" lighthouse didn't exactly work the way I wanted it. It turns out, the "red" torches you can make are actually a type of power source and cannot exist on the same circuit as one another without turning off (they are not meant for a light source). The circuits you can make can be pretty complex, and require more space than I allocated. Nevertheless, you can just put a red torch next to a level and have it turn on and off. So I have about 12 red torches and 12 levers to turn them on and off. Not exactly what I wanted, but it does work. If I were better at making circuits, I would be able to make blinking lights, which would really look cool, but I haven't figured that all out yet.

I also make a room with a glass bottom floor and transported lava (via bucket) to put underneath the glass floor. On the ceiling I made a cross in glass. I called "Contemplating Heaven and Hell." I'll take a pic and post soon.

I'm thinking of scraping the current red torch lighthouse and just putting lava inbetween two glass panes in the lighthouse. That means it will be a bright red beacon that should be visible for a long distance.

Bael
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2010, 04:40:08 AM »

Can someone explain to me what all these Minecraft servers are about?     There are a ton of them, but I thought Multiplayer wasn't live yet?    There is even a section on the official forums about them?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2010, 05:51:09 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on July 26, 2010, 04:40:08 AM

Can someone explain to me what all these Minecraft servers are about?     There are a ton of them, but I thought Multiplayer wasn't live yet?    There is even a section on the official forums about them?

Multiplayer is basically dedicated servers that others can log into, and you play a much, much older version of the client on. All you can do is build (and be a jerk and unbuild and/or flood the map). That said - I've seen some fantastic creations.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2010, 06:02:40 AM »

wow, thank god I have been keeping regular backups of my save game cause I just hit an annoying bug.  all of a sudden I could not hit the giant slimes, even when they were next to me.  small and medium ones I could hit no problem, and the giant ones I hit before but they just turned invulnerable all of a sudden, and it got me killed as I was exploring the giant cave system I mentioned earlier.  I just restored an recent save and was able to kill the giant slimes again with only a little bit of progress lost, but it would have sucked to lose the whole game because of the bug.

Because I can,
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2010, 06:14:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2010, 06:02:40 AM

wow, thank god I have been keeping regular backups of my save game cause I just hit an annoying bug.  all of a sudden I could not hit the giant slimes, even when they were next to me.  small and medium ones I could hit no problem, and the giant ones I hit before but they just turned invulnerable all of a sudden, and it got me killed as I was exploring the giant cave system I mentioned earlier.  I just restored an recent save and was able to kill the giant slimes again with only a little bit of progress lost, but it would have sucked to lose the whole game because of the bug.

Yep, definitely one thought to keep in mind - for all the fun Minecraft is, it is still in the alpha stage.  Bugs can appear at any time and wipe out all of your progress.  It's best not to get too attached to any particular save.

Backing up your save is a good idea to prevent that from happening.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on July 26, 2010, 06:14:04 AM

Backing up your save is a good idea to prevent that from happening.

And where are the saves located again exactly? I know it's buried somewhere.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »

appdata/roaming I believe.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 26, 2010, 02:22:37 PM

appdata/roaming I believe.

I'll poke in there. Thanks.

And wow, what a journey. Days have passed before I finally returned to the surface, down to my absolute last pick. As it was, I had to dig upwards near a waterfall I recognized (but 20 tiles down where it started) because I had no idea how to get out again. Practically drowned myself in the process. Anyway, my spoils?

96 iron, way too many stone, 16 gold, 2 buckets of lava, a slime ball, 128 coal (less after having to make more torches in-route) and 36 redstone. Now to smelt it all and have fun with it. biggrin

Oh, and a pic of my hideout from the outside. You can just see the doors through the water:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:18:44 PM by Destructor » Logged

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

96 iron!! How did you find that, just by mining around? I can never find enough iron to make the things I want (like mine carts and tracks).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Yeah. I have a giant, GIANT cave system underneath my house. It's absolutely insane in size. I went exploring for a good hour this morning, got totally lost, and almost was late to work thanks to how long it took to get out.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »

Ok, I need to take a break from this game. This morning I was taking the dogs out when I had the thought 'i could knock a couple of blocks out of the wall and make it easier to get outside'.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »

http://www.cafepress.com/MojangStore.460548947

Creeper face t-shirt!  Hopefully it doesn't blow up when you put it on!
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 26, 2010, 06:16:06 PM

http://www.cafepress.com/MojangStore.460548947

Creeper face t-shirt!  Hopefully it doesn't blow up when you put it on!

Sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.......
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2010, 10:58:16 PM »

The Good News: I just carved out a huge cave system underneath my mountain home. It looks full of minerals and coal.

The Bad News: It is so infested with slimes, it makes the Zerg look weak.

The Ugly News: The "pop-corn popping" noise of slimes jumping does help locate nice large caverns... if you want to deal with a slime infestation.
map

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »

I'm missing something. I can't find coal to save my life.

Save America, shoot your television.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:57 AM »

Quote from: map on July 27, 2010, 12:21:01 AM

I'm missing something. I can't find coal to save my life.

You should be able to spot coal in rock formations above ground (only 'special' rock that forms above ground) or just dig in a bit anywhere that you have natural light. It isn't too hard to find, at least in my experience.

map

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2010, 01:49:30 AM »

Thanks, I've found what I think is flint but no coal.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2010, 02:19:16 AM »

Quote from: map on July 27, 2010, 01:49:30 AM

Thanks, I've found what I think is flint but no coal.

Behold!  A graphic showing what every block type looks like.

Of course, this doesn't have clay, reeds, or cacti on it because those are recent additions.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2010, 04:07:36 AM »

obsidian takes forever to mine, even with a diamond pick.  I found some last night and wasn't sure I was able to get it but after 10 seconds or so I noticed small cracks appearing on the surface.

Because I can,
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2010, 04:29:14 AM »

Curses on the forum effect.

I picked this up yesterday and have since played almost non-stop during my free time.  I have yet to find anything but coal and rock, other than a whole crap load of redstone I can not mine.

I am really liking this game so far.  Well worth the money.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2010, 04:41:28 AM »

Well, remember (or mark) where you got the redstone - you'll be back for it once you've found some iron. I'd try not going as deep - maybe you'll find iron instead of the rarer minerals.

Oh, and welcome to the fun and addictive Minecraft. biggrin

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2010, 06:40:24 AM »

I hate you guys for making me buy this game.  I spent far too much time in the free create mode today:

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:41 AM »

eek jeebus!  nicely done!

Because I can,
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 06:43:41 AM

eek jeebus!  nicely done!

Now I'm going to start the survival mode.  I have a feeling this game is going to be very addicting for me.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »

dammit, after wanting to take a break what do I do?  play some more  disgust

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 27, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »

I wish there were bigger buckets, or a way to make a water source more powerful.  In my OO succession game it took over 150 buckets of water for me to fill up the river I carved though the countryside.
map

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 27, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »

Well, the good news is I finally found a coal tile. The bad news is I really hadn't seen one before in several builds.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »

Quote from: map on July 27, 2010, 12:25:17 PM

Well, the good news is I finally found a coal tile. The bad news is I really hadn't seen one before in several builds.

I have had maps where I had to trek most of the day overland to find coal.  It is all part of the random terrain generator.  That said, once I get enough coal to get through the first few nights I usually end up with an abundance of it, and end up finding it when I am not looking for it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 12:59:13 PM

Quote from: map on July 27, 2010, 12:25:17 PM

I have had maps where I had to trek most of the day overland to find coal.  It is all part of the random terrain generator.  That said, once I get enough coal to get through the first few nights I usually end up with an abundance of it, and end up finding it when I am not looking for it.

Yeah, I now have 5 full stacks of the stuff and pretty much nothing to use it on. And that's after smelting down a ton of stone and glass stacks for my lighthouse. Which I need to post. biggrin

Quote from: Arkon on July 27, 2010, 11:32:29 AM

I wish there were bigger buckets, or a way to make a water source more powerful.  In my OO succession game it took over 150 buckets of water for me to fill up the river I carved though the countryside.

Something to keep in mind with water:

Take two buckets and dig out a 1x3 hole in the ground. Using two buckets of water, dump water into both ends like so:

Code:
.W W.

(W is water, . is a block of any type, and the space is the empty square)

The empty square will now become a source tile. So you can use the bucket on that and it'll immediately regenerate. That'll at least cut down how may times you have to visit the local river/ocean.

As far as water not being powerful enough - forum posts state that it used to have practically no limit before. This was a serious issue according to the dev, as one could flood themselves way too easily. So it was changed to what it is now.

Oh, and this trick will not work with lava (sadly).

And welcome to the addiction, WinoMcCougarstein. Nice pics. Shows what kinds of fun one can have with the creative mode. biggrin

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »

So what is this? Virtual legos?  I've seen some videos and it looks tedious.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »

I wish there were bigger buckets, or a way to make a water source more powerful.  In my OO succession game it took over 150 buckets of water for me to fill up the river I carved though the countryside.

are buckets reusable?  haven't made any yet.

on a side note, has anyone seen the recipe for explosives?   I'm not sure how anyone figured that one out on their own.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 02:07:49 PM

are buckets reusable?  haven't made any yet.

on a side note, has anyone seen the recipe for explosives?   I'm not sure how anyone figured that one out on their own.

Buckets are reusable, unless you use it on a cow to get milk, then it ends up as a useless bucket of milk.  What can I say, I was tempted to try and fill my river with milk, alas I was unable to do so.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »

Quote from: naednek on July 27, 2010, 02:01:16 PM

So what is this? Virtual legos?  I've seen some videos and it looks tedious.

I find it difficult to put a label on Minecraft. 

1. It is a game about building, whether that means building huge castles, or simple hovels, or underground lairs.  It could mean building a huge track filled with water to put a boat in and take a wild ride, or it could mean building elaborate traps.

2. It is a game about exploration.  There are huge cave systems that can be found and explored, finding underground rivers and lava flows or even finding floating islands in the sky.

3. It is a game about survival.  The dark can be very dangerous in Minecraft...there are zombies, skeletons, spiders, creepers and slimes.

The game is a sandbox in the truest sense.  Soon the developer will be adding multiplayer which will add yet another facet to an already wonderful game.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2010, 03:01:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 27, 2010, 02:07:49 PM

Yeah, its pretty nuts. Even more nuts is that you can only get that gunpowder needed for it by killing Creepers! I would love to use TNT to clear large areas, but there is no way I'm going to kill that many Creepers to make it viable.

BTW, how are you guys hosting pictures? I have built a Sphinx to go with my Lighthouse and mountaintop abode, and I would love to post what it looks like.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on July 27, 2010, 03:01:58 PM

BTW, how are you guys hosting pictures? I have built a Sphinx to go with my Lighthouse and mountaintop abode, and I would love to post what it looks like.

I've been doing the old fashioned 'Print Screen', paste to paint and upload to photobucket for mine.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: