http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 12:23:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on all the XB360 games that I have played  (Read 4595 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2005, 02:28:38 PM »

Well after playing a ton of games on the Xbox 360, I thought I would give my impresions of each of them:

First Up, since it was the first game I played, Kameo:

To lead off....here is a cool shot I found comparing the Gamecube version of Kameo to the Xbox 360 version:

Yeah, we have come a long way....

Anyway, Kameo is easily one of my favorite Xbox 360 games so far. I love the concept of switching into different elemental powers and it is really simple to do.  My daughter was watching me play this game and also really liked it, so those of you with kids...this is a must purchase. It is very bright and colorful and looks simply amazing on an HDTV. The texture work and effects on everything is just superb. I've already put more time into this game than any other (look at my Gamercard to see my Gamerscore for this game). The first level (the demo kiosk level) is a little bland, but it really opens up after this, stick with the game and you will be hooked just like I was once i pushed through the intro.

Madden 06

I've already given my thoughts on this game. It's a very good game of football on the field and the graphics are mindblowing. The lack of modes does hurt it though. No Minicamp and no rookie scouting  are the things that really hurt. I also miss the Tony Bruno Show and the Newspapers in Franchise mode. Why do you have to pull shit like this EA? How hard could it be to put that stuff in?

That said, I really do enjoy the game on the field and it really is next-gen in the graphical presentation and on-the-field play....which is what is most important.

NBA Live 06

Ok, this fairs worse than Madden, because even though it looks stunning and the arenas are the best I have ever seen in a basketball game,  EVERYTHING has been cut from the game. Well not everything, but nearly everything. It's really pathetic of EA to do this. I am thinking of getting NBA 2k6 now and trading in NBA Live 06 soon....eventhough 2k6 doesn't look as good when it comes to the arenas, coaches, people in the crowd....at least it has all the options that the Xbox version has.

Amped 3

First off, I am a huge fan of the Amped series. I just read a Game Informer review that gave it a 8.5 and the second opinion was also 8.5. 1Up gave this game a 7, I believe. So far, I would give it a 8. The graphics, while not amazing are solid and look better than Amped 2 in 720p. The mountains are HUGE. Bigger than Amped and Amped 2's mountans. The story is stupid, which these snowbums trying to raise money to go to South America or something. The cutscenes are.....odd. That is the best way to describe them. Maybe I would like them more if it was 10 years ago and I was in college again, but at almost 30, this silly shit isn't all that funny anymore. The game plays well though and it is a LOT easier to control and pull of flashy tricks. The game still feels like a realistic run down a mountain, wihch is what I like so much about the Amped series, so it's still fun.....just beforwarned that there is a lot of "dude-speak" in the game.

Condemned

Well, here is the deal on this one. This is one scaryass game. Holy shit, I jumped a ton of times playing in the dark, alone in the basement. The thing that makes this game so scary is that it is rooted in reallife. You are not fighing demons from another world, you are fighting deranged killers that are from this world. The Dolby 5.1 surround really adds to this feeling of freakyness, when you hear shit coming up behind you, like someones heavy breathing or something...and all you have is a stupid pipe....where's my gun......ahhhhhhhh.

The graphics are very well done and really make the environments very creepy. They all just astounding. The lighting is also great. If you are into horror games or games like Chronicles of Riddick, you need to get this game, ASAP.

Call of Duty 2

Fun, fun , fun , fun ,fun!

Did I mention it was fun? This game kicks ass. The surround sound is AWESOME. The graphics, are amazing and I think a little better than the PC version (YMMV). It also runs a whole lot better than the PC version. In fact, the developers have stated that the PC version is actually a port of this version. Anyway, this game rocks and is one of the best, if not the best game for the Xbox 360. The controls are awesome for a FPS on a console. I was controling my guy with ease after a very short learning curve. Pick it up on Day 1.

Project Gotham Racing and Perfect Dark Zero

I haven't had enough time with either of those yet to form a proper opinion. From what I have played so far, both are great games. I'm not a huge racing fan, so I haven't played much of PGR3, but from what I have seen, it looks stunning. I also like how after you finish a single player race, it shows you the wordlwide leaderboard for that race and shows you how you rank out of everyone else in the world. I love shit like that....and nearly all the Xbox 360 games have that, where you can compare your single player score/time on a global high-score board. You can also see how you rank on your friends list, for bragging rights. smile

Perfect Dark Zero is quite an interesting game. The first level blew me away, the second level....not so much....but that could be because it was a stealth based map, which made it much harder since there are no real stealth controls. The graphics are great and the game feels solid. It should really shine in multiplayer with 32 people supported and you can play with bots as well.

Xbox live Arcade

GET GEOMETRY WARS NOW. This little $5 game is fiendishly addictive and a blast to play. I was ranked #34 in the word last night with 78,000 points on the Evolved mode. Can you beat me??? Some guy had over 600,000 point. OMG, I don't know how he did that.

I also got Gauntlet, Joust and Bejeweled 2 Deluxe. My wife is addicted to Bejeweled 2 and I like playing Gauntlet co-op online over live. It remiinds me of the arcade! smile All the live arcade games are of course in high definition like everything else.

Anyway, I hoped you have enjoyed my impressions. My hands are tired now from all this typing....

biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »

Thanks for that Hetz... only 2 days to go....

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 03:07:11 PM »

I will be getting Gauntlet today.  I d/l the demo I just need to unlock.  Lets get together and play later Hetz.  

I need to seed Knightshade a friends request too

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 03:30:21 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
I will be getting Gauntlet today.  I d/l the demo I just need to unlock.  Lets get together and play later Hetz.  

I need to seed Knightshade a friends request too

Yep, I would love to get some co-op action going on Gauntlet. There are a bunch of achivements that can only be done in co-op mode. Do you have Knightshades new gamertag? It's Gaming Trend.

Ugh, I just noticed a bunch of typos in my first post....that is what I get for doing that post right after I wake up with no coffee in me yet....

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »

Three quick questions for you, Hetz, to satisfty my curiosity:

-Which game do you feel should be considered the best overall release game   of the titles you tested? From my very limited playtime I felt Kameo deserved that honor

-Do you feel that Rare has redeemed themselves with the release of Kameo and Perfect dark Zero?

-At this point which game to you think will hold your most memorable Xbox 360 experience?

I'm delighted that you're having so much fun!  I really hope MS has a home run on their hands with this next console.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 03:54:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dante Rising"
Three quick questions for you, Hetz, to satisfty my curiosity:

-Which game do you feel should be considered the best overall release game   of the titles you tested? From my very limited playtime I felt Kameo deserved that honor

-Do you feel that Rare has redeemed themselves with the release of Kameo and Perfect dark Zero?

-At this point which game to you think will hold your most memorable Xbox 360 experience?

I'm delighted that you're having so much fun!  I really hope MS has a home run on their hands with this next console.

1) I would have to say Kameo, but Call of Duty 2 is a close second. If I hadn't played some of it already on the PC, then I would have probabily rated it as my favorite.

2) Oh yeah. Rare is back in a big way! Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero both just scream quality and polish. Kameo especially. Perfect Dark I have a feeling was rushed together very quickly to make it out for launch and amazingly, came together very well and very polished.

3) So far, Condemned. Going through some abondoned building right around sunrise, that a serial killer just killed some lady in, hearing freaky noices from all around and being jumped by murderous psycopaths is right up there with any memorable gaming experience I have ever had. All this is high definition and 5.1 surround on a 56" screen makes for one freaky experience. smile

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 04:35:28 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
GET GEOMETRY WARS NOW. This little $5 game is fiendishly addictive and a blast to play. I was ranked #34 in the word last night with 78,000 points on the Evolved mode. Can you beat me??? Some guy had over 600,000 point. OMG, I don't know how he did that.

I think PGR3 comes with Geometry Wars 2, it is located in your garage.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 05:10:44 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"

Well...kind of. It's a timed demo. You only get 4 minutes of play, there are no leaderboards and no achievements to unlock.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »

Really? So is the GW2 in PGR3 the same GW on the live service? Because GW2 is a sequel to the first GW that was in pGR2.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »

Awesome thoughts, Hetz. I'm actually quite impressed with the launch, when I think about those of other consoles in the past. If I had the cash, I think I really would hop onboard, and bring Kameo, CoD2, Amped 3, Condemned, and PD0 with me.

Wow. I would actually purchase five launch games. Impressive. Go figure.

Anyway ... Hetz, which games do you think are the real system sellers? CoD2 and PGR3? Are any of them really system sellers, in that these are the games that will convince someone to pick up the 360 because they must be played? Or, are these all just great games that those who planned on getting the console will be picking up as well?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 05:40:59 PM »

Personally, I wouldn't call any of the 360 games system sellers.  Which isn't to say that any one of the games isn't going to sell the system to a specific individual.  I'm sure there are people for whom Madden or Kameo or PGR3 are enough.

To me, system seller, refers to one single title that is sought by the vast majority of console owner base- ie Halo, GTA, etc.  Based on reviews it doesn't look like any of these titles will likely break out like that.  What we do have though is a very well rounded line up so it looks to be a successful launch all around in terms of content.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 05:45:04 PM »

I'd have to agree. I think there isn't one game that's drawing me in; except maybe the new Live service.

I'd rather have a series of great games than one MUST-HAVE game in the launch ... Halo1 was the Must have for me, and for a while it was great, but the rest of the titles lacked.... punch?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 05:55:20 PM »

Hetz, fantastic impressions. You have turned me from probably not interested any more to get a 360 and damn being able to afford dinner because you need these games smile

Thanks man!
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »

Successful software launch? You betcha. Hardware? Not so much.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 06:04:37 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Hetz, fantastic impressions. You have turned me from probably not interested any more to get a 360 and damn being able to afford dinner because you need these games smile

Thanks man!

Calvin has yet again been the victim of the Forum Effect[/b]. Our hearts and thoughts go out to his family, who is surely mourning his passing into... the consumer-whore zone.

Welcome! biggrin

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 06:13:22 PM »

Man, I was this .  . close to cancelling my preorder.  Now I guess i gotta get it with all of these great reviews coming out.  This better not be any fanboi bs Tongue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 07:06:25 PM »

Can't thank you enough for all the impressions you've given and money you've cost me since Wednesday!!

I've gone from maybe 3 games to probably 7!!!

(I've cleared some room on my friends list if you want to send another request!)

One Question though - With all the attention paid to HD and high quality video, I haven't seen anything mentioned about how you hook up your optical audio.

Is it the same as Xbox where you have a secondary 'brick' for connections including optical audio? Is there a dedicated port on back? Does it come with a cable?

Thanks again!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 07:22:28 PM »

Really? So is the GW2 in PGR3 the same GW on the live service? Because GW2 is a sequel to the first GW that was in pGR2.

GW2 in PGR3 is a timed demo of the Geometry Wars Evolved game on the XB Live service. Geometry Wars Evolved on XBLive includes both GW1 & 2, both with leaderboards and achievements. I haven't tried the GW in PGR3, but it's probabily the full game that was included in PGR2, since it was already given away free with that.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 07:22:47 PM »

Okay, can somebody explain to me what this game is exactly?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 07:26:18 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Can't thank you enough for all the impressions you've given and money you've cost me since Wednesday!!

I've gone from maybe 3 games to probably 7!!!

(I've cleared some room on my friends list if you want to send another request!)

One Question though - With all the attention paid to HD and high quality video, I haven't seen anything mentioned about how you hook up your optical audio.

Is it the same as Xbox where you have a secondary 'brick' for connections including optical audio? Is there a dedicated port on back? Does it come with a cable?

Thanks again!!

It comes with the component cable. There is a little optical jack built right into the cable.

Oh and I sent another friends request to ya! smile

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 07:29:22 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

This is Geometry Wars 2:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145642&did=1

So in short, it's pretty awesome, highly addictive and likely the most entertaining thing you can do with a 360 beyond actually playing the full price games. The game proves that something small and focused can work on a next-gen system and is one of the most visually impressive titles on the system, despite its simplicity. Retro Evolved will be available at the 360 launch (actually, it's available right now if you somehow manage to get a hold of a console early);

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005, 07:35:23 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

This is Geometry Wars 2:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3145642&did=1

So in short, it's pretty awesome, highly addictive and likely the most entertaining thing you can do with a 360 beyond actually playing the full price games. The game proves that something small and focused can work on a next-gen system and is one of the most visually impressive titles on the system, despite its simplicity. Retro Evolved will be available at the 360 launch (actually, it's available right now if you somehow manage to get a hold of a console early);

Hey Hetz, so if I get the MS adapter so I can use my LCD monitor as my "HDTV", where does the sound come frome? I know thats a stupid question, but I am not sure where the plugs would go? I need to make sure this monitor idea will work before I go all the way with this.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »

Anyway, I hoped you have enjoyed my impressions. My hands are tired now from all this typing....
 Oh, yeah - I thoroughly enjoyed the impressions, but you will never convince me that your hands are tired from typing, lol - tell me what your ratio is, time-wise, of game-playing vs typing! :twisted:

I sorta bypassed Condemned, but I see now that I should've taken a closer look.  Luckily, Kameo and Quake 4 will be plenty for me for awhile (plus MasterMagic has PDZero, but not Quake, so we'll be swapping at some point).  NOT to mention the fact that GT folks go thru games like ... well, fast - so I"m sure there will be a Condemned floating around by the time I'm 1/4 of the way thru Kameo!

And Geometry Wars sounds intriguing... going to go check that link now!

Thanks Hetz!!!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2005, 09:06:05 PM »

I watched JAllard blow through a score of over a million, even after downing a tasty adult beverage.  Most execs talk the talk about gaming, but this guy....he is the real deal.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2005, 09:22:50 PM »

GW2 in PGR3 is a timed demo of the Geometry Wars Evolved game on the XB Live service. Geometry Wars Evolved on XBLive includes both GW1 & 2, both with leaderboards and achievements. I haven't tried the GW in PGR3, but it's probabily the full game that was included in PGR2, since it was already given away free with that.

Ah okay, I see now. Well, I'll be buying GW1&2 then. More money to spend lol.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 03:01:51 AM »

Some pics of the games for you all to drool over until Tuesday! smile

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 03:07:54 AM »

The 360 renders a red X like no other.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 04:34:50 AM »

Fix the screenies!!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 05:06:44 AM »

Sorry about that! Fixed.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 05:14:39 AM »

Hetz you're a cruel man...  biggrin

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 05:22:41 AM »

Wow, just... wow!  Tongue

I'm so glad to have heard that Kameo is fun, exciting, addicting, etc. - because almost all my excitement for the launch was drained,  after Oblivion got delayed - but now I'm getting excited about the system, not just one game.  I saw the games being played at WalMart today, and it was definitely an OMG moment.

Thanks for the screenies, Hetz - I'm amazed that you can take the time out from playing to help "feed our need!"   :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 05:49:48 AM »

Hopefully by 1:00AM Tuesday I'll be joining the cool crowd. So until then, how about hitting me with a screenie (or more) of Condemed and PD0?  smile

I plan on starting with those two and a copy of PGR3...which looks absolutely gorgeous!

*runs down the hall making car sounds*
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 07:51:03 AM »

That ... wow ... that's an in-game capture of PGR3?

Simply stunning.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 12:52:48 PM »

Hetz, answer me one.  Does the system come with the same warranty opportunity the first one had with MS where you pay $50 and 2 years coverage on repairs?     Really need to know.  If so, I will go with that.  Thanks.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 01:23:14 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Hetz, answer me one.  Does the system come with the same warranty opportunity the first one had with MS where you pay $50 and 2 years coverage on repairs?     Really need to know.  If so, I will go with that.  Thanks.

Yes, it comes with the warranty upgrade offer.

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 02:15:15 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
That ... wow ... that's an in-game capture of PGR3?

Simply stunning.

This is gameplay footage  :shock:
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 02:43:46 PM »

Ok Hetz, I respectfully demand pictures of Gauntlet and any other XBLive Arcade game you have!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »

Hetz, would it be possible to do a comparison shot with and without high def turned on?  I'm trying to figure out what the 360 would look like on my mere mortal television.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 03:04:12 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Hetz, would it be possible to do a comparison shot with and without high def turned on?  I'm trying to figure out what the 360 would look like on my mere mortal television.

480p on the left - 720p on the right

Hope everyone saw the image....sorry about screwing up the scrolling. smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2005, 03:43:36 PM »

I'm still horrible with HDTV terminology...my non-HD Sony Wega would be 480i, right?  And that means that compared to the shot on the left, my TV would have the same resolution, but half the framerate?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: