http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:37:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My PC gaming backlog has gone critical!  (Read 1691 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »

How's yours?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:02:20 AM »

Mine is disgustingly large.  I have severe gaming ADD.  I buy a new game at the drop of a hat, and often only play it once before something else comes along.  I'm quite ashamed of it actually.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »

at final count I have 25 games installed that I'm playing through in some form or another, and another 16 or so not installed.

I blame weekend/weekly/24 hour sales.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:22:32 AM »

Only a few games now. I can no longer buy everything i even remotely think I want. I have to pick and choose now and wait and wait. I just got Borderlands and plan to get Dragon Age soon. But as for backlog it has dwindled to only a hand full at best. Im just about to finish up Assassin's Creed 1 if thats any indication of how far back I am. And I dont own a bunch of stuff in between due to costs.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »

wow, I can add 10 more onto the not installed list as I was only looking at my downloadable games.  oh, wait, then theirs also my Steam list which also has another 10 games I haven't played or finished, and I think I'm going to add a few more from this weekends sales.

It's nice to have money  nod

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 02:54:34 AM »

Two games on my PC and I'm not playing them much...

Aion
Dragon Age.

I've lost alot of the excitment I use to get from buying a new game. And the ones I buy I rarely "love" like I use to.

To everything, turn, turn, turn...
There is a season, turn, turn, turn..............................

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 03:40:44 AM »

Horrible thx to cheapy steam/amazon/target/big lots finds. Still, even if I buy 5 games in a month its really just 1 since I get them for $10 or less. I did good with no purchases then last 2 have been bad but no worse than buying 2 new games.

I also blame my new midrange rig that lets me play these bargains I missed since my old rig couldn't.

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 04:34:57 AM »

Taking a quick look at what's installed on my PC and what boxes are at arm's reach, this is what I'm seeing:

Tier 1: Must (re)play ASAP -
Dragon Age, Left for Dead 2, Serious Sam HD (as soon as it's released), Torchlight

Tier 2: Better play/finish soon or else I'll never get to it -
Dawn of War II, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Borderlands, Overlord I & II, Painkiller, Mass Effect, etc...

Tier 3: Why do I keep buying adventure games?
Sam & Max, Scratches, Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper, Penumbra Trilogy, etc...

Tier 4: Casual games for when I'm in the mood-
Luxor(s), Zuma 1&2, Squarelogic, Osmos, Cogs, etc...

Tier 5: If I haven't finished them by now... -
FEAR 2, Titan Quest, Tron 2.0, Dungeon Siege 2, Max Payne 2, Jade Empire, etc...

Tier 6: Forget 'em. I already have...

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:37:22 AM »

I have tons going back a long time.  I also tend to pick up deals on Steam that I haven't played much or even installed.  I cancelled my WoW account recently so maybe that will help.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »

Hmmm, maybe it's time to finally take my Hellgate: London and Tabula Rasa boxes off my computer game shelf.  icon_redface Maybe the Auto Assault box could go too.  icon_razz

So do you guys have a precisely organized, very neatly shelved system like mine? Or is it more chaotic?  smirk

Seriously though, my brother bought me C&C: Red Alert for my birthday in April and I've never opened it.

And I should at some point put up for trade/sale here several games I can't play due to major motion sickness issues (Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 are probably the highest profile of those). Nowadays I'm buying almost everything via Steam, and I guess I'm glad to finally cut down on computer room clutter. As you can see though, it was a little too late for that.  retard
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:21:23 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 05:37:39 AM »

I am still incredibly saddened by the fate of Hellgate, and AutoAssault. I played beta for both of those, and both had potential that will sadly never be tapped. Lotta familiar titles.

Torchlight. Just get it. It's twenty bucks and a download away, and you'll be farting with it 10 years from now, same as Diablo/Diablo2. It even does high resolution biggrin

It's not even a BIG download (less than a gig)... and they'll use the money to fuel the potential MMO development based on the IP.

Alternately, you could buy none of the titles listed in this thread so far, and just hold your breath until Diablo3 releases, and save a good wheelbarrow worth of the green stuff smile

Atomic
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »

I blame those Weekend sales.  I mean it's just ridiculous.  I was just looking through my account and I saw that I owned games that I didn't even know I owned!  That's just sad.  It doesn't matter how cheap it is-if you don't even play it that's just $5 or $10 down the drain.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 01:51:04 PM »

I have about 500+ hours worth of unfinished/barely played RPGs that dominate my back log:
Oblivion: 15 hours played
Fallout 3 20 hours played
Drakensang: 6 hours played
Witcher: 4 hours played
NWN 2: 3 hours played
Borderlands: 10 hours played
Torchlight: 5 hours played
Gothic 2 and 3: 10 hours on 2, 3 none
Darkstar one: 15 min

And those are the ones that really I want to play and finish some day. I also have other games I been meaning to get back to...

Grand Theft 4
Farcry 2
Kings Bounty
Medieval 2 Kingdoms
Stalker
Halfllife 2 episodes

I just reinstalled EQ2, I have issues.

morlac00 on PSN
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »

I must have 50 going back 6-8 years. About once a year I play one of my backlog games (and add 6 others). icon_confused

Ye Olde Farte
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 21, 2009, 05:05:18 AM

Hmmm, maybe it's time to finally take my Hellgate: London and Tabula Rasa boxes off my computer game shelf.  icon_redface

Just started replaying Hellgate(singleplayer)again and having a blast due to all the hard work the guys at Hellgate Revival have put into their new SP game patch.

A lot of the features that were in the MP version they have managed to put in the new patch...worth checking out if you enjoyed the game at all.
http://www.hellgateaus.net/forum/
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »

Quote from: Warfran on November 21, 2009, 05:13:36 PM

Hmmm, maybe it's time to finally take my Hellgate: London and Tabula Rasa boxes off my computer game shelf.  icon_redface

Just started replaying Hellgate(singleplayer)again and having a blast due to all the hard work the guys at Hellgate Revival have put into their new SP game patch.

A lot of the features that were in the MP version they have managed to put in the new patch...worth checking out if you enjoyed the game at all.
Wow!  Awesome.  Didn't know about this.  Thanks!

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 20, 2009, 11:59:32 PM

How's yours?

Perhaps you should play them rather then start 500 threads a day here?  icon_wink

Seriously, I actually have mine under control.  Partly because I don't buy as many games as I used to and also because I dedicate myself to the games for a reasonable amount of time when I get them.  It's easy to get distracted and spend too much time on the 'net reading about a new game rather then playing it, I've found.  So I force myself to play instead of succumbing to the urge to go see what people have to say about it.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 23, 2009, 08:23:14 PM

How's yours?

Perhaps you should play them rather then start 500 threads a day here?  icon_wink

well, technically I could be running 3 different games at the same time and still be able to post on my iPhone  Tongue

Because I can,
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on November 21, 2009, 05:58:20 PM

Of course, now my disc won't install.  This will really test my resolve to recapture the fleeting joy I experienced playing this game.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »

just borderlands, i'm playing through DA right now. I don't count games I'm currently focusing on and I probably won't stop playing DA until I beat it. It's so good
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »

Ditto. Too bad Tabula Rasa didn't have an offline mod that fans could try to rescue.  tear

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »

How's yours?

A little out of control. 43 games never installed (including King's Bounty. Mount & Blade, Mafia, Jagged Alliance 2, SW KOTOR, EU3, Pharoah, Sid Meier's Pirates, X-Com pack (so technically several games but counted as 1), Combat Mission Barbarossa, Fallout Collection (3 games but counted as 1 here) to name a few.

25 installed to "see if they run" but basically never played including Space Rangers 2, Spore, Forge of Freedom, King of Dragon Pass, Evil Genius, Conquest Frontier Wars, Crusader Kings, Company of Heroes - Opposing Fronts to name a few more.

And of course a lot more games that I have spent a reasonable time with, but never "finished".

This doesn't touch on the console games I haven't played, but there is a lot lot less of them as I don't actually own many.

Like someone else mentioned, it's easy to collect and read about games rather than play them, and with the way prices have plummeted, particularly with download games, I have picked up a lot of those. A lot of the non-download ones were also on special or second hand. Download games are worse as there is no box/disc sitting on the shelf mocking you so you forget you even own them sometimes.

Other big factors in not playing these are (1) Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, Rock Band 2 (2) family/work (3) a seeming reluctance as I get older (mid 40s now) to take time to learn a game; I seem to resent the time now as I have less of it. Fifteen years ago I wouldn't start a game without reading the manual cover to cover, now I don't want to read them at all.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »

Instead of playing one of my backlog games I went back to playing Space Rangers 2:Reboot. icon_confused

Ye Olde Farte
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

Thanks to Digital Distribution sales it's growing by the week.  After buying L4D2, Red Faction: Guerilla which I haven't even booted up, I decided it was time to work through my backlog.  I've made a pact to myself to only buy games with the proceeds gained from selling/trading games that I already have.

So far I'm really enjoying it.  Hopefully it lasts, in the past week I've polished off Gears of War 2, and Batman:AA which have sat unfinished for a while.  I'm almost done with RE5, and plan to attack Condemend, and Condemed 2 next.  That is unless I get enough cash to buy MW2 slywink

"Goonies never say die"
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »

I suffer from EGADD very badly, but I have been doing my best to try and finish games.  I recently finished Crysis, and before that Titan's Quest.  I was excited to read about the patch for Hellgate London because I always liked the game, but never put in the time it deserved ( EGADD kicked in ).  Unfortunately it isn't working well for me within Win7 64bit.  It either runs laggy or locks up.  I have a lot of other games to play, so I'll probably end up scrapping Hellgate  icon_confused

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on November 25, 2009, 01:47:34 PM

I was excited to read about the patch for Hellgate London because I always liked the game, but never put in the time it deserved ( EGADD kicked in ).  Unfortunately it isn't working well for me within Win7 64bit.  It either runs laggy or locks up.  I have a lot of other games to play, so I'll probably end up scrapping Hellgate  icon_confused

Had the same problem at first Cragmyre, this fixed it for me-http://www.hellgateaus.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=889 smooth as butter now.
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »

Thanks!  Worked wonderfully!!  I don't believe I'm missing out on much not using DX10 either.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »

Alright, the backlog has gone beyond critical!  After some soul searching I've decided that, with on possible exception allowed, any new game bought between now and the end of august will not be installed unless I clear out at least half my backlog.

At this point that looks to be around 100 games when I estimate what I have left between Impulse, direct2drive, store bought games (console and pc) and Steam.  I will still partake in sales but the shall be filed away until September or I hit my goal.  It might sound like a huge number, but about 30 of them will be Telltale episodes.

I did the same thing last year and cleared out a decent number of games, so let Operation Cleared Backlog 2.0 begin!

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

I have so many games installed..stuff all the way back to Master of Orion and Starcraft...that I had to buy a new 1tb drive yesterday. It came today so I can start filling it up too now. Actually I guess that Gabriel Knight 1 2 and 3 pack will be the first on it.

Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 11:22:50 PM »

I've got roughly 600+ boxed games going all the way back to 1993. Maybe half of those are still shrinkwrapped. They are all neatly stored on shelves throughout the house, but not alphabetized. No need. I can locate any game (usually) within a matter of a minute or so, after staring at these shelves all these years. Hell, my girlfriend, who has absolutely no interest in gaming, knows where most of my games are just from seeing them there for so long.
I've got 6 computers hooked up going all the way back to my 486/66 with a couple hundred games installed collectively on them. Most unfinished, but with savegames still intact. Every once in a while, I'll load and play one of those savegames when I get in the mood to play a certain game.

If I need more space, I never delete a game in 'progress'. I just add another hard drive and keep going.
I've still got my original install of "Crusader: No Remorse" on my old Packard Bell for instance. Original hard drive. Save game still works. THAT game, I for sure can't delete, since it's the only successful install of that game I ever had.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »

And I thought I was a game hoarder. We need a tv show for this stuff.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on May 21, 2010, 11:22:50 PM

I've got roughly 600+ boxed games going all the way back to 1993. Maybe half of those are still shrinkwrapped. They are all neatly stored on shelves throughout the house, but not alphabetized. No need. I can locate any game (usually) within a matter of a minute or so, after staring at these shelves all these years. Hell, my girlfriend, who has absolutely no interest in gaming, knows where most of my games are just from seeing them there for so long.
I've got 6 computers hooked up going all the way back to my 486/66 with a couple hundred games installed collectively on them. Most unfinished, but with savegames still intact. Every once in a while, I'll load and play one of those savegames when I get in the mood to play a certain game.

If I need more space, I never delete a game in 'progress'. I just add another hard drive and keep going.
I've still got my original install of "Crusader: No Remorse" on my old Packard Bell for instance. Original hard drive. Save game still works. THAT game, I for sure can't delete, since it's the only successful install of that game I ever had.

eek eek eek

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 23, 2009, 09:20:45 PM

Ditto. Too bad Tabula Rasa didn't have an offline mod that fans could try to rescue.  tear

I finally tossed my copy.  it was time to let go.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 02:40:56 PM »

I am a buy one game and play til I finish type of guy. However, since I'm trying to buy games after they get price reductions, I'm getting a backlog. Still waiting for ME2 and BS2 to go down in price. So I picked up Necrovision for 5 bucks. It wasn't worth it. icon_cry Then I got Cryostasis cheap. I got stuck on the lamo mechanical spider. So I went to gog and got Arcanum, which I somehow never played back in the day. Just into it a tad overwhelmed by all the choices, but I'm enjoying it so far. However, I think I'm going to break my principles for Alpha Proticol. it just sounds way to cool.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »

I am making a concentrated effort o play backlog only games....on the PC at least.  I have started with Star Wars KOTOR.  I have just finished the Jedi Trials and am plugging right a long.  This game was so buried in my backlog that I did not even list it previously.  However,  I figured it's now or never.

morlac00 on PSN
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

I really liked the first Kotor. Was scared to go near the sequel as everybody said how truncated it turned out to be.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 24, 2010, 04:24:22 PM

I really liked the first Kotor. Was scared to go near the sequel as everybody said how truncated it turned out to be.

I liked it enough when I first attempted it on the Xbox but the insane and constant load times due to backtracking everywhere drove me nuts.  Not really an issue on the PC I am playing it on now.  Still having fun now but will have to see how I feel at the 20 hour mark which is usually when I move on in RPG's.

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: