http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My MGS4 Experience (aka: PS3 decides not to work)  (Read 1374 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »

Came home tonight to find my family watching a movie on the old TV upstairs.    Asked what was up, and wife informs me the PS3 doesn't work.

I rushed downstairs to find that the sound works fine on my PS3, but no HDMI signal.    Last time this happened I tried all the tricks and wound up sending both the PS3 to be replaced my Sony, and having a repairman out to my house to swap out the Sharp's control board.

Things I tried tonight since I got home:

1.  Holding down power button 7 secs until it powers off.  Bringing back up -- no dice
2.  Holding down power button upon bootup until I hear 2 beeps.    No dice.
3.  Powering off via the power switch on the back and then powering back on -- and doing that plus items 1 and 2 -- no dice, no dice, no dice.
4.  Unplugging from TV -- plugging back in no dice, again but then powering on without plugs, powering off, doing 1, 2, and 3 above and no dice. no dice, no dice.
5.  Plugging PS3 in with component cables -- works!
6.  Plugged components in with HDMI in as well -- told me it found HDMI do I want to swtich -- I say yes.   No dice blank screen.
7.  Restored factory settings on TV and did 1 through 6 above.   No dice x 6

And the last two drastic steps I'm on right now:
8.  Did a backup of the PS3 to my 250 gig portable HD
9.  Doing a full restore that will take 3 hours and wipe all my progress (over a MONTH of play) on GTA4.  frown

This is my hail mary pass.    I thought about just working off component...but to me there is a noticable difference in sharpness even on the playstation screen.   Screw that, my HDMI is supposed to work and so I want it to work.

icon_frown icon_frown icon_mad icon_mad icon_mad icon_mad icon_mad icon_mad
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »

a friend of mine had the same problem with his ps3....he is sending it off to sony

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

Good luck on the hailmary.  If you're backing up your data then I don't see how you are losing your GTA4 save.  Can't you just reinstall it again afterwards.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »

i do know that more and more people are getting this yellow flashing light with it beeping(sometimes turning to red)...the people on the UK PS3 forums have been in touch with SONY and SONY straight away exchange your PS3 for a new one,not sure if the same deal happens in North America...they sometimes get their replacement within 3-4 working days

it isnt as bad as the red ring of death,but i have seen a lot more posts about this problem

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »

I get no light.   This is the second time this has happened -- I'm getting a little mad about it. 

HDMI just ****s out and stops working.    I don't have another HDMI device with which to test my TV to make sure it's not the problem.  frown

warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

RRoD (Red Raiden of Death).

Hate that.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »

Slim chance, but faulty cable?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »

I have a Sharp Aquos and this happened to me one time with the PS3. All I had to do was completely powerdown the PS3 and then the PS3 recognized the HDMI cable setup and went back through the display setup to select 1080p as the default resolution. The weird thing was it completely reset my theme as well so I had to go back in and reset it as too. Not sure why it did that, but it seemed to fix itself.

For comparison sake I have:

20 Gig Launch Ps3, with 160 gig HD in it .
37" Sharp Aquos bought in November of 2007.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »

This predicament deserves the sad trombone.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »

Ok... I hooked my computer to the TV with a DVI to HDMI cable and couldn't get it to come up.     It was the best test I could do to determine since I have no other HDMI out devices.    I still can't be sure it's the TV though because I can't be sure I did it correctly.

This sucks.   I don't know whether to call a TV repair service or to call Sony.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »

Ok... I hooked my computer to the TV with a DVI to HDMI cable and couldn't get it to come up.     It was the best test I could do to determine since I have no other HDMI out devices.    I still can't be sure it's the TV though because I can't be sure I did it correctly.

It sounds like a perfect time for talking that HOT wife of yours into letting you buy a dedicated Blu-ray player. You need to buy one now to test out the HDMI connection on the TV. If the Blu-ray player doesn't work either then you know its the TV. Sounds like fool proof logic to me.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:24 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 13, 2008, 08:01:48 PM

Know anybody with a HDMI TV set? Just bring your PS3 over and give it a try.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »

that is my next step.... to see if the PS3 works on someone else's TV.

If it does -- then I'm going to assume it's the TV.   I think I covered any handshake issues by doing all of the above mentioned plus reformatting.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on June 13, 2008, 08:01:48 PM

It's probably not enough to just connect your TV, you'll likely have to do some configuration from you PC video card's advanced properties. Many HDTV's don't do a plug 'n' play handshake with PC's the way computer monitors do, so you might need to force a detection. I know for my Nvidia video card I needed to do that and thereafter my Sony HDTV has shown up as an available output device.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:36 PM »

How about buying a cheap upscaling dvd player with hdmi from Costco to check the TV and then return it?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »

I may do that.

I just thought of something:   we're going to my parents for father's day on Sunday.   I'll lug my PS3 along.   They have the exact same television that I do.    That will be a good test case for the PS3.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »

Come on PS3!! Let's hope it's just MSDuncans crappy TV!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 14, 2008, 07:14:19 AM

Come on PS3!! Let's hope it's just MSDuncans crappy TV!

Good lord I hope it is the PS3.    Sharp will charge me to come out and repair the TV.     (and I have a deductable on my insurance)
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 03:13:14 AM »

Took the PS3 over and plugged it into my dad's Sharp Aquos today through an HDMI input we both knew worked.   No dice.

I think (and hope) I've discovered the problem.   I'm calling Sony tomorrow.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:58:56 AM »

Hmmm.....I'd figured this was a handshake issue, but you'd think hooking to a different TV would work.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: