Came home tonight to find my family watching a movie on the old TV upstairs. Asked what was up, and wife informs me the PS3 doesn't work.
I rushed downstairs to find that the sound works fine on my PS3, but no HDMI signal. Last time this happened I tried all the tricks and wound up sending both the PS3 to be replaced my Sony, and having a repairman out to my house to swap out the Sharp's control board.
Things I tried tonight since I got home:
1. Holding down power button 7 secs until it powers off. Bringing back up -- no dice
2. Holding down power button upon bootup until I hear 2 beeps. No dice.
3. Powering off via the power switch on the back and then powering back on -- and doing that plus items 1 and 2 -- no dice, no dice, no dice.
4. Unplugging from TV -- plugging back in no dice, again but then powering on without plugs, powering off, doing 1, 2, and 3 above and no dice. no dice, no dice.
5. Plugging PS3 in with component cables -- works!
6. Plugged components in with HDMI in as well -- told me it found HDMI do I want to swtich -- I say yes. No dice blank screen.
7. Restored factory settings on TV and did 1 through 6 above. No dice x 6
And the last two drastic steps I'm on right now:
8. Did a backup of the PS3 to my 250 gig portable HD
9. Doing a full restore that will take 3 hours and wipe all my progress (over a MONTH of play) on GTA4.
This is my hail mary pass. I thought about just working off component...but to me there is a noticable difference in sharpness even on the playstation screen. Screw that, my HDMI is supposed to work and so I want it to work.