http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:42:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My local Walmart  (Read 1908 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

Well.....

A friend of mine went by my local Walmart and the clerk told him that they were supposed to get 360's on the shipment this morning but they had none.     She said they would most likely be on the shipment tomorrow morning.    

For the record:  The truck comes in at 2 AM.    

Now I'm faced with a decision:

360's may or may not be there tomorrow in the wee hours of the morning.
There may or may not be a line.
*I have to work all day tomorrow and thus can't be dead tomorrow

Do I go up there at midnight and camp hoping they come in?   Do I go up there at 2 am and camp hoping people aren't camping too?    Do I just get up a little early for work and go by there at 5 hoping that they still have some and they haven't been camped?    Or do I just forget about it so I can function at work tomorrow?

I HATE THIS SHIT.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:40:17 PM »

At this point, how can this system even get close to the expectations you have on it?  Even if you'll get one, you'll bring it home, and the product that you've invested so much energy in just can't live up to it.  

Let it go.  Get one in the spring.  It is a good console, but I just don't see it worth the torment you are putting yourself, and most likely, your wife through.  

Get a DS, I hear they are fantastic smile.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 03:42:54 PM »

Hrm.  I actually was told (and I work at Wal-Mart) that they're likely to come in UPS, which means that they'll possibly come in in the afternoon.  Granted, each Wal-Mart is different.  Just a note.  And good luck getting one!
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 03:46:36 PM »

Supposedly they've been arriving to Walmarts on the overnight trucks for some reason.   At least that's the story I've been hearing on the internet.

In any case the lady seemed to know what she was talking about.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 03:48:06 PM »

As a side note:   my wife located one at the hospital where she works.... but the guy wanted $500 for a CORE system -- which means I'd have to buy a $100 HD and it would be a $600 system at the end of the day.

She told him no thanks.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 03:52:04 PM »

As a side note: my wife located one at the hospital where she works.... but the guy wanted $500 for a CORE system -- which means I'd have to buy a $100 HD and it would be a $600 system at the end of the day.

$200 to save how many hours camping in line?  You really want the system, why not pay more for it at this point?  How much time, effort, and suffering have you invested in this?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 03:54:34 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
At this point, how can this system even get close to the expectations you have on it?  Even if you'll get one, you'll bring it home, and the product that you've invested so much energy in just can't live up to it.  

Let it go.  Get one in the spring.  It is a good console, but I just don't see it worth the torment you are putting yourself, and most likely, your wife through.

Seconded.  By now, maybe just pick up a new game or two for a system you already have (or your pc) and just focus on enjoying those games.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 03:59:43 PM »

Never Give Up!!

This week it will happen!!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 04:13:23 PM »

As a side note: my wife located one at the hospital where she works.... but the guy wanted $500 for a CORE system -- which means I'd have to buy a $100 HD and it would be a $600 system at the end of the day.

$200 to save how many hours camping in line?  You really want the system, why not pay more for it at this point?  How much time, effort, and suffering have you invested in this?

Of course, then there's the problem of locating a hard drive, which are more rare than the systems at this point.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 04:22:38 PM »

DUDE EBAY IS YOUR FRIEND.

I payed 100$ over sticker for a premium I got games and a 2 year warranty...

It was worth it. The guy I bought it from was a college student who bought it at Circuit City and waited 15 Hours in line.

The way I see it is I payed him 7$ an hour to wait in line for me. I think its worth not going crazy for.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 04:31:03 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

Of course, then there's the problem of locating a hard drive, which are more rare than the systems at this point.

Actually there are some on ebay for 100 bucks right now.   And Best Buy had some Sunday too.

I've seen them around so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 05:14:42 PM »

Why is everyone giving him such a hard time about wanting to get one?  Obviously it's important to him and he really wants one now.  So telling him to wait til spring is going to have no effect and doesn't seem to be a useful statement.

I got mine waiting out on launch eve (thanks Myto!), but if I didn't have one yet I would be doing all of the same things and sharing my experiences with everyone here, hoping not to hear any non-helpful 'just wait' comments.  :roll:
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 06:08:26 PM »

Quote from: "markus"
Why is everyone giving him such a hard time about wanting to get one?  Obviously it's important to him and he really wants one now.  So telling him to wait til spring is going to have no effect and doesn't seem to be a useful statement.

I got mine waiting out on launch eve (thanks Myto!), but if I didn't have one yet I would be doing all of the same things and sharing my experiences with everyone here, hoping not to hear any non-helpful 'just wait' comments.  :roll:

It's called "friendly advice".  Isn't always what you want to hear, but it's not because we're trying to give him a hard time.  I'm not typing "just wait until spring" and then chortling maliciously to myself or anything.   :roll:

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 06:11:01 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Quote from: "markus"

It's called "friendly advice".  Isn't always what you want to hear, but it's not because we're trying to give him a hard time.  I'm not typing "just wait until spring" and then chortling maliciously to myself or anything.   :roll:

Right!   And I don't see it as that.   I'm trying within reason to get one.   If I don't then I'll just keep an eye out after Christmas and will eventually get one.

I just hate that I won't get to carry on the tradition of taking the system over to my family's big Christmas and hooking it up so we can all play.   That's always the best time to be had....
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 06:13:55 PM »

Yup; I really do wish you were able to get one without all this trouble, man.  frown  I've been keeping an eye out myself, but I haven't run across any around here to pick up for ya.  Mind you, I'm also just not willing to sit outside of a Best Buy all night even for myself.  But if I run across one, it's yours.

And to be perfectly honest, while I've had zero interest in the 360 until the price drops at least $100, I'm sure I'll be as bonkers about the Revolution as you are about the 360.  slywink

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Yup; I really do wish you were able to get one without all this trouble, man.  frown  I've been keeping an eye out myself, but I haven't run across any around here to pick up for ya.  Mind you, I'm also just not willing to sit outside of a Best Buy all night even for myself.  But if I run across one, it's yours.

And to be perfectly honest, while I've had zero interest in the 360 until the price drops at least $100, I'm sure I'll be as bonkers about the Revolution as you are about the 360.  slywink

I'll preorder a PS3 and a Revolution IMMEDIATELY when they start taking them.  :p
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 06:24:14 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
DUDE EBAY IS YOUR FRIEND.

I payed 100$ over sticker for a premium I got games and a 2 year warranty...

It was worth it. The guy I bought it from was a college student who bought it at Circuit City and waited 15 Hours in line.

The way I see it is I payed him 7$ an hour to wait in line for me. I think its worth not going crazy for.

When did you grab that off Ebay?   What time of day?   I keep looking all day and when they get down inside a minute they jump from 400 something to 700 in seconds.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »

It was early in the morning.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 08:55:30 PM »

msd, you might try looking on www.craigslist.com for one. A bunch are listed for my location, and unlike ebay, you can haggle for a better price and if you score one, you can go pick it up yourself and avoid shipping costs. It might be worth a shot.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 08:58:22 PM »

I got an extra Controller, NBA LIVE, 2 YEAR CONTRACT 79.99

400.00 Premium SEALED
60.00 Nba Live
79.99 2 Year Circuit City Replacment
50.00 COntroller
20.00 GAME POINT CARD? Dont even know what this is... but he threw it in.

TAX 50.32 (NOT REALLY FAIR TO COUNT

I Paid 720.00 on ebay

I did ok..

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 09:08:07 PM »

I Paid 720.00 on ebay

I did ok..

How much did you get charged for shipping?  I've seen some folks try to slip in an insanely high shipping price in their auctions...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 11:08:09 PM »

I paid 25 bucks shipping.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 11:23:22 PM »

20.00 GAME POINT CARD? Dont even know what this is... but he threw it in.

That would be a card giving you 1600 points to use on the live marketplace. Most XBL arcade games are 400 or 800.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 03:38:47 AM »

Well....

My wife goes to get groceries tonight at Walmart and she notices there is a truck there.      She flags everyone down she can find and finally talks to someone in electronics.

The lady in electronics tells her that they got 6 units in on Saturday and sold them all.   However -- and this is the part that pisses me off --  they said they found out afterwards they weren't supposed to sell them.   They were supposed to hold them in-store until the first week in January so that they could do another 'camp-out thing'.    

edited
<---lay off the cussing ---->

Sorry to lose my temper ....  but a month and a HALF after release -- and AFTER Christmas, and retailers are still going to be pulling this 'stockpile them for launch #7 and launch #8' bulls***?    This is un-***ing-believeable.

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x  :x
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 04:57:47 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Well....

My wife goes to get groceries tonight at Walmart and she notices there is a truck there.      She flags everyone down she can find and finally talks to someone in electronics.

The lady in electronics tells her that they got 6 units in on Saturday and sold them all.   However -- and this is the part that pisses me off --  they said they found out afterwards they weren't supposed to sell them.   They were supposed to hold them in-store until the first week in January so that they could do another 'camp-out thing'.    

I don't know who your wife talked to but that story makes no sense whatsoever.  There's no way that Walmart or any other retailer is gonna ship product to a store, product they can sell right now, and then tell them to sit on it for a month.  

Whoever she talked to is either an idiot or is having some fun just making shit up.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 10:12:30 AM »

Remember the old Heinz Ketchup commercial..."Anticipation" sung by Carly Simon?

Basically the commercial is about how slowly Heinz Ketchup pours out while Carly sings the classic, Anticipation.

For all those telling msduncan to give it up and just wait till Spring your advice is sound and full of logic.

But.....

For someone who has decided they want the 360 and nothing else this advice falls flat..

All the old cliches apply here:

It's the journey not the destination
It's the hunt not the kill
etc, etc.

Although the destination is great, and the kill is rewarding...

Msduncan has taken the challenge of getting a 360 before Christmas and the games afoot..(sherlock holmes)

It's elementary my dear Mr. Watson.......

Wal-Mart is msduncan's Moriarity, and by his great powers of deduction he will find the elusive x-box 360 and solve this most intricate of puzzles...

Good hunting Msduncan...and don't turn to the white powder.....

:roll:  Cool  :wink:

Grace: Unmerited favor.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 12:30:31 PM »

Ok I feel better this morning after that outburst.   I'm sure that employee didn't know what she was talking about.     At least I hope they don't.

I guess I'm still a little sore about Best Buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: