http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 03:57:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My last console was an Atari 2600  (Read 870 times)
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:44 AM »

I don't know anything about consoles. I've always been a PC gamer myself, and never had any friends that played consoles.

I was thinking about getting a Wii for my recently retired mother. I got her interested in PC gaming several years ago, and she likes playing PC games though sometimes they can be a little too complicated for her. Her favorites are probably Civ 4 and the action rpg games like Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege.

I thought the Wii might be good for her on account of the whole motion sensing/exercise thing. That and her PC is aging and the Wii is only $200.

So I've got a couple of basic questions, hopefully you all can share your opinions.

1. Does the motion sensing thing actually work, or is it kinda gimicky?

2. Are the games available suitable for adults/older adults? It seems to be marketed as a 'family friendly' afair. I worry that it's targeted more towards children?

3. I assume there multiplayer games available on a single console? I mean like hotseat or splitscreen or what have you? I'd like to visit and join her for some co-op or versus games on occasion.

4. If I bought the bundle I've seen on the shelves (Wii console with Wii Sports), am I going to have to buy any other hardware/controllers/batteries ect? She has a large HDTV at home, FWIW.

Thanks for any replies smile

-Cota
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »

When they talk "family friendly," they mean it.  There are games geared to kids, but a lot are more casual adult affairs, like Wii Fit and EA Sports Active.  (Of course, as with any woman, don't buy a fitness game unless you want to have the "Why, do you think I need it?" conversation. Tongue)

If she liked Titan Quest, Dungeon Siege and Civ 4, Little King's Story and Dawn of Discovery are excellent choices.  They're strategy/RPG hybrids (especially LKS) and I recommend it highly.  Animal Crossing: City Folk is fantastic, especially for newcomers to the series.  If she has any interest in side-scrollers at all, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a must.

Motion-sensing is hit-or-miss.  In Wii Sports, it's pretty good.  In most other games, it's passable-to-awful.  Wii Sports Resort comes bundled with the Motion Plus accessory, and those games are a lot of fun.

New Super Mario Bros. is a great multiplayer game, and Mario Kart is also very accessible for new players too.

Here are also some possible accessories to put with it:  A second Wiimote and another Nunchuk, maybe a charging station that includes rechargeable batteries (otherwise she'll have to buy AA batteries a lot), and maybe a cheap composite cable for her HDTV.
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »

Great reply Lee, thanks.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the motion sensing though. I was afraid it might be the case. For my application (dear ol' Mom), it was the feature I liked the best. In fact it was the only thing that drove me to consider a console for her in the first place. I like that there are "casual adult" games as you put it, but I'm not sure that's enough to get me to buy one.

I'll keep thinking about it, and thanks for the specific game recommendations. I'm sure if I end up buying one, there will be plenty of those kinds of questions.

-Cota
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:49:52 AM »

Quote from: Cota on November 24, 2009, 01:54:58 AM

Great reply Lee, thanks.

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the motion sensing though. I was afraid it might be the case. For my application (dear ol' Mom), it was the feature I liked the best. In fact it was the only thing that drove me to consider a console for her in the first place. I like that there are "casual adult" games as you put it, but I'm not sure that's enough to get me to buy one.

I'll keep thinking about it, and thanks for the specific game recommendations. I'm sure if I end up buying one, there will be plenty of those kinds of questions.

-Cota

No problem.  For the record, the Wii is the first system I've had that my wife actually wants to play.  So, for what that's worth. smile
KC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:06:58 AM »

Instead of a console, I suggest that you get your mom some Pop Cap games like Peggle and Bookworm Adventures. Plants vs Zombies may be a good way to get her into tower defense games.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:01:59 AM »

Ok I dont own any of the new consoles but I have played them all. The Wii is simple but is geared to children. the PS3 is expensive and I've not really seen a good games collection for it that isn't better on the 360. It is the best Blu=Ray player out though.

So I suggest a Xbox 360. I can tell you the Elite model is $250 - $299 now. But for her an Arcade model should be fine. And it has the best online multiplayer system out.

Me I'll stick to my PC smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »

Maybe get her a DS?
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »

the only thing I can throw in here is the age range.  One of the things that had Wii's selling out early on is how popular it is with older people.  Retirees and seniors are actually playing it... so I wouldn't worry about the age thing.

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »

My only hestitation in recommending the Wii for you, is the types of games your mother likes. The Wii is very weak on the RPG front and it doesn't look like that will be changing anytime soon. I honestly think you'd be much better saving some money and getting her a DS or PS2. Both of those systems have huge libraries and she'll likely be able to find far more games that appeal to her. Or as someone else suggested, introduce her to low system requirement casual games on the PC.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »

The Wii might be the furthest thing from a PC. This could go horribly wrong.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »

Yeah, the DS has a lot of good stuff on it right now, and the library is enormous.  Plus, the DS library (and system) is cheap.
she likes playing PC games though sometimes they can be a little too complicated for her.

The pertinent quote.  Getting a Wii or a DS reduces the complexity quotient, and she's probably not going to be playing a lot of shooters, which is the 360's forte.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:16:18 PM »

I wish my Mom played PC games, that's cool.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »

my mom does, but she's a wow addict.  hard core, too with multiple alts and high level characters.  she was so addicted to it, she stopped playing anything else except the occasional flash game.

Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 03:16:06 AM »

You guys aren't really selling me on this smile. I guess that's why I asked though huh.

Caine, if you pop back in here. How old is your mom? I've thought of introducing her to MMO's a couple of times. I think she'd enjoy the exploration and leveling up. The grouping, not so much. I worry about her becoming an addict, but more than that though, I worry about some 13 year old shit head giving her a bad time. She has no idea the kind of nonsense that goes on in an MMO, and I think it would be a real shock.

Anyways, thanks for the opinions comrades.

-Cota
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »

I'll toss in a few cents' worth - late to the party as usual.

My Mom is in her mid-eighties, and no way will she play any video game (though I almost got her to try Animal Crossing on the Cube a while back).  On the other hand, my mother-in-law, same age, broke a hip and had to go to a rehab unit... where she became the Wii Bowling champ, wheelchair division!

Various middle-aged and older friends of mine have also discovered video gaming later in life.  They range from World of Warcraft devotees, to puzzle games lovers, to Beatles: Rock Band addicts.  Oh, and Scribblenauts and Prof. Layton are popular as well...

Cota, I agree with you on the concern about your mom running into the foul-mouthed denizens of many MMOs.  I hated the moronic talk and bigotry so much on FFXI, that I ended up running my own clan - my clan, my rules.  I wouldn't recommend that route to a newcomer though - it is too labor-intensive, lol, and takes a lot of the fun out of it.  If she is "young at heart" though, and aware of the kind of speech she might run into, WoW might work.  I hear it is much easier than FFXI, (which I would definitely advise against).

I also wonder if there is a reason your mother shouldn't become addicted... is she happy and healthy, supporting a family, working full time, etc.?  For me, addiction works quite well - I'm disabled and I can no longer do much of what I used to love to do.  Video gaming takes up a lot of my time, which is exactly what I need.

Keep trying, though - gaming only gets improved by an influx of new folks from different demographics, imo.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:23:29 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 24, 2009, 05:01:59 AM

The Wii is simple but is geared to children.

I hate it when people say this.   thumbsdown

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: