http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My initial Xbox360 impressions. (Late to the party)  (Read 2906 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »

It arrived via the fantastic deal from a fellow forum member.  I sneaked it out last night for a trial run after everyone was in bed.  I don't have a HDTV to hook it to, so I plugged it into a  really nice 32" CRT w/800 lines.  I am actually pretty impressed with how it looked on that TV, honestly. 

Pros:
Unit isn't nearly as big as I was expecting, looks sexy and modern and fits right in here.
Unit isn't as loud as I was expecting, I had trouble hearing it over normal TV volume.
The controllers are simply the best game controllers I have ever used.
The interface is *OUTSTANDING*.
Everything seems like it was very well thought out in the design aspects.
Price - $375 for the system + 14 games is cheap.

Cons:
None so far that I see.

I tried almost all of the games,  and all were pretty darn impressive.  One particular one that stuck out was Dead Rising, I was initially going to play it for only 5 minutes, the somehow got so entranced, I blew an hour in it before forcing myself to stop.   icon_eek  I was impressed with "Live", what a very very well thought out setup they have going.

I have two possible plans when I unveil this to my kids on Christmas Morning and I kinda want input;

Plan 1:  Replace the 32" CRT in the media room with a HDTV, which would also require spending $$$ on a Tivo Series 3. I have reservations on this plan.  Given that less than 6 channels are HD with my cable company (without paying extra), so 90% of what we watch will be StandardDef, our actual viewing quality would SUFFER.  Not to mention the extra costs associated with all of that, and the increased monthly cost.

Plan 2: In the room adjacent to the media room we have our PC clusters, setup on a custom Trapezoid table (looks like the helm of a starship). I have an idea to mount a 37"-40" range LCD HDTV on the wall just above the PC clusters, then hook the Xbox360 to that.  It would be big enough so everyone at the cluster could relax in their leather desk chairs and play on the 360.

There are pros and cons with each plan, so I wondered which one sounded better to the most people.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »

Wow, you got a great deal Kobra.  I would personally opt for option 2.  I don't think it would be worth it given the lack of HD content for your tv watching.  For me most of the shows I watch are on the major networks so they are in HD, so the number of channels ultimately wasn't a big detriment for me.  How many people would be crowded around when playing?  I would think a 32" LCD would be just fine.  If you were going with a 40" you may as well go all the way and go option 1.  I have a 50" Sony SXRD and at first I thought the SD quality was poor, but after some tweaking I think it looks just as good as it did on my SD TV.  My 360 looks absolutely incredible on the TV.  What is the full list of games you got?
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:52:58 PM »

Wait.  You're waiting until Christmas?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 04:56:18 PM »

Quote from: Austin on March 01, 2007, 04:52:58 PM

Wait.  You're waiting until Christmas?

and the helm of which starship? There are so many.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:57:15 PM »

NM on asking about what titles, just saw the trade post, you made out very well on that deal.  Viva Pinata while it didn't sell well is a tremendous game, very addictive.

Kameo was horrendously underrated in my opinion, hoping it gets a sequel.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:01:19 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 01, 2007, 04:50:21 PM

Wow, you got a great deal Kobra.  I would personally opt for option 2.  I don't think it would be worth it given the lack of HD content for your tv watching.  For me most of the shows I watch are on the major networks so they are in HD, so the number of channels ultimately wasn't a big detriment for me.  How many people would be crowded around when playing?  I would think a 32" LCD would be just fine.  If you were going with a 40" you may as well go all the way and go option 1.  I have a 50" Sony SXRD and at first I thought the SD quality was poor, but after some tweaking I think it looks just as good as it did on my SD TV.  My 360 looks absolutely incredible on the TV.  What is the full list of games you got?

I am waiting until Christmas, unfortunately it would be irresponsible of me to unleash this on everyone now, when it would make such a magnificent Christmas Gift.  The kids got enough to play around here now - seriously.  I wasn't even planning on picking a 360 up until around November, but the deal was far too good to pass up.

I wouldn't expect more than 3 people around, I will photograph my setup later today and post it so you can see what I mean.  32-37 LCD would be fine, and the cost savings would be pretty substantial. I assume by Christmas, a nice 1080P 37" range LCD should cost $500 or less the way prices seem to be dropping.  I actually PREFER gaming in my leather desk chair, I often move it into the media room because it is so comfortable.

The game list so far is;

Kameo
Cloning Clyde
Totemball
Dead Rising
Test Drive Unlimited
Gears of War
Viva Pinata
Condemned
Uno w/All Cards
Assault Heroes
Zuma
Pocketbike Racer
Big Bumpin'
Sneak King

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »

Big fan of Robotron 2084?

I'll trade it for Viva Pinata! slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 05:10:38 PM »

Dude!  Make it a "Christmas in March" present!  Nine months of waiting is zany!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 05:14:24 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 01, 2007, 05:01:19 PM

I am waiting until Christmas, unfortunately it would be irresponsible of me to unleash this on everyone now, when it would make such a magnificent Christmas Gift.  The kids got enough to play around here now - seriously.  I wasn't even planning on picking a 360 up until around November, but the deal was far too good to pass up.

If you were my dad, I would kill you in your sleep.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »

Yeah don't wait. Gears of War Friday night is tomorrow night!

A chance to kill kobra? We'll have a line all the way around the country! biggrin
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »

You really did end up with a nice selection of titles.

The question is can you handle not playing it actively until Christmas!!!!????

I highly recommend Crackdown, I would think by Christmas you will be able to find it for a decent price.  What style of games are your kids into as well as you?  We may be able to help make recommendations on additional titles.

Shame you don't have the VGA cable so you could see a game like Gears in all it's glory.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:34 PM »

The idea is, the kids DO NOT know I bought it.. 

Yes, I plan on sneaking it out after they are in bed, temptation is far far too big to resist.  The kids like all games really, my youngest loves Titan Quest or Oblivion style the most.  My oldest likes shooters/FPS and RTS or Strategy.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 01, 2007, 05:29:34 PM

The idea is, the kids DO NOT know I bought it.. 

Yes, I plan on sneaking it out after they are in bed, temptation is far far too big to resist.  The kids like all games really, my youngest loves Titan Quest or Oblivion style the most.  My oldest likes shooters/FPS and RTS or Strategy.

Just give it to them now! Christmas in March makes you the worlds best dad.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »

I would NOT get a Tivo Series 3 right now.  It's too gimped.

gellar
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 07:03:23 PM »

Definitely go with your cable company's DVR box over the Tivo 3. Way too pricey. And I don't know what kind of interface and options your cable DVR would have, but mine was a lot better than I was expecting. I had a lot of guilt and trepidation about abandoning Tivo but the features and easy interface of my new unit have been outstanding. At least look into it. (I use Time Warner cable in NYC.)

Also, I don't know what your viewing habits are exactly, but you may be surprised how seldom you have to deal with standard rez TV shows. With most of the network prime time shows in HD, and tons of shows on DVD, we rarely find ourselves having to watch standard resolution programs. Furthermore, the HD and screen size upgrade (especially for gaming on the 360) vastly outweighs the downside of standard rez programming looking a bit fuzzy.

Congrats on the great deal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:07:52 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 01, 2007, 06:56:54 PM

I would NOT get a Tivo Series 3 right now.  It's too gimped.

gellar

Whats wrong with it? I haven't read up, but I did hear some issues with cable cards and what not but other than that I have no data.  I did hear WowCables new HDDVR is really good, but honestly, the whole networked feature set in Tivo makes that an overall winner.  We love transferring movies/shows back and forth between units like they are one.  I figure by December, the Series 3 will be in the $300 range, a couple of big prices drops are rumored to be coming between March-May.

Halo Wars + Halo 3 was a BIG motivating factor to increasing interest in the 360 here.  Both of my kids are halo fanboys.  Also the stuff available that is wife-friendly make it even more attractive (GH2, Viva, Zuma, etc etc).

Crackdown is already on the list, as soon as I can get it on the cheap.  I got 10 months to shop deals.  icon_biggrin

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 07:09:54 PM »

Have you considered waiting until Christmas '08? By that point the cost of a Tivo 3 should be down much lower.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 07:11:43 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 07:11:16 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 01, 2007, 07:03:23 PM

Definitely go with your cable company's DVR box over the Tivo 3. Way too pricey. And I don't know what kind of interface and options your cable DVR would have, but mine was a lot better than I was expecting.  At least look into it. (I use Time Warner cable in NC.)

Also, I don't know what your viewing habits are exactly, but you may be surprised how seldom you have to deal with standard rez TV shows. With most of the network prime time shows in HD, and tons of shows on DVD, we rarely find ourselves having to watch standard resolution programs. Furthermore, the HD and screen size upgrade (especially for gaming on the 360) vastly outweighs the downside of standard rez programming looking a bit fuzzy.

Congrats on the great deal.

+1 and slightly Mortoned.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:49 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 01, 2007, 07:08:08 PM

I did hear WowCables new HDDVR is really good, but honestly, the whole networked feature set in Tivo makes that an overall winner.  We love transferring movies/shows back and forth between units like they are one.

Yeah mate... that's what's wrong with it.  It doesn't have that.

gellar
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 01, 2007, 07:09:54 PM

Have you considered waiting until Christmas '08? By that point the cost of a Tivo 3 should be down much lower.

Yes, I know I am insane about Christmas planning. ;-)  But I am cheap, this is how I maximize the gift giving for the kids.  They get so much more stuff for the same money.  Don't worry, I didn't take offense to your post, I am complete agreement that it is insane.  Tongue

If Series 3 has no networking stuff like Series 2, then forget it, plan-2 is what I will go with.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 07:16:08 PM »

In a related note, you xbox owners, what would be your top 5 game picks on it?  I've love to hear;

1) List of top 5 games currently out.
2) List of top 5 most ANTICIPATED games.

I must admit to being a big knowledge shy on the goings on with the 360 these days.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »

The Godfather is fantastic.
So is Rainbow Six: Las Vegas.

My Mom is a Christmas planning freak like you. She starts shopping in January. But she never wanted to play with the toys she bought us. biggrin

What you need to do is rent a condo so you can sneak off to play the 360 whenever you want. With hookers. And blow.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »

Some body must have pulled a trick on Kobra and changed his calander to December 1.
Cause the man A'INT MAKING A BIT OF SENCE RIGHT NOW. If you want to surprise the kids for Xmas try finding a WII. That way you proberly wont get one until Nov, Oct at the earliest. And then you don't look so bad in the eyes of the gamers.

MY rant.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Have a 360 and want to store it for almost a year.....WTF is wrong with the people in the world today??? disgust

nothing but love for u  thumbsup

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 07:32:16 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 01, 2007, 07:16:08 PM

In a related note, you xbox owners, what would be your top 5 game picks on it?  I've love to hear;

1) List of top 5 games currently out.
2) List of top 5 most ANTICIPATED games.

I must admit to being a big knowledge shy on the goings on with the 360 these days.

My top 5 games currently out in no particular order:

1. Viva Pinata
2. Gears of War
3. Crackdown
4. Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter
5. Rainbow Six (I do not own it yet, but have played it and it is awesome)

Honorable Mention

Saints Row
NHL 2007/2K7, both are great games if you like Hockey
Table Tennis - Should be able to find this for cheap

Top 5 anticipated titles:

1. Forza 2
2. Mass Effect
3. Bioshock
4. Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter 2
5. Blue Dragon

Honorable Mention

Fable 2
Alan Wake
Stranglehold
Eternal Sonata
Assassin's Creed
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »

Wii is easy to find around here, I run into them almost weekly.  I picked up 2 of them at Target a few days ago to ship off to a buddy in Wisconsin that was having trouble finding them.

Anyway, I have played the Wii plenty, and don't really care for it much.  My arm hurts today though, I played Wii-Tennis for an hour with my sister at her house yesterday.  Kinda fun, but nothing anyone here would really get a rise over beyond the initial "New thing" phase.  The kids are entirely uninterested in the Wii - and yes - they have played it.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 08:07:59 AM »

i got my 360 a few weeks after launch,and i am still thrilled with it

hopefully you wont be part of the 90% of the people who have had troubles(red lights)

the controller IS the best there is,its just so snug,and all the buttons are in the right places....the analogue sticks are perfect,makes the duel shock 2(and sixaxis) feel odd

i recommend Elder Scrolls IV:oblivion

start downloading all the demos that has built up on the marketplace
games i am most looking forward to are:
mass effect
too human
blue dragon
the darkness
alan wake

as well as the usual,GTA 4,HALO 3...etc

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »

Favorite games:

1) Dead Rising (by a mile)
2) WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007
3) NCAA Football 2007
4) Need For Speed: Most Wanted
5) Gears of War

Most Anticipated Games:

1) Bioshock
2) Mass Effect
3) Alan Wake
4) Halo 3
5) Blue Dragon
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »

Wow, self control thy name is Kobra. Hats off to ya if you keep it till Christmas before unveiling it to the kids.

I've just about had it with the never ending PC-carrot-upgrading shtick.

Thinking seriously about getting the X-Box 360 this week. But.........I need a new monitor for my PC anyway, and seeing as I don't have a HDTV...can someone recommend a good monitor fit for X-Box 360 sitting at a desk playing it?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 03:24:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 07, 2007, 03:17:15 PM

Thinking seriously about getting the X-Box 360 this week. But.........I need a new monitor for my PC anyway, and seeing as I don't have a HDTV...can someone recommend a good monitor fit for X-Box 360 sitting at a desk playing it?

I have the slightly older version of the 24" widescreen Dell, and absolutely love it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4335

component/dvi/vga/media reader, etc, etc.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »

Very nice, thanks for the link.

By the way does this deal have the wire I need to hook it up to a monitor?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10080318&catid=23363#

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »

I used my 360 with the 24 inch Dell monitor as well and it looked fantastic. (Then I got a new HDTV and moved the 360 over to the living room.) You'll need to pick up the Xbox 360 VGA cables.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:13:43 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

1) List of top 6 games currently out.

• Rainbow 6: Vegas - My GOTY by far.  The cover system is brilliant.
  • Gears of War - A great game that really shines in co-op and versus multiplay.
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - Certainly everyone can find a hero they like in this collection.
  • Saints Row - A polished GTA clone minus some features (motorcycles, etc.).
  • Call of Duty 2 - I played through this one 3 times on the increasing difficulty levels.  CoD3 was a let down.
  • Dead Rising - It has some major (albeit debatable) flaws, but what it does right is spectacular.

2) List of top 7 most ANTICIPATED games.

• Assassin's Creed
  • Bioshock
  • Forza 2
  • Guitar Hero 2
  • GTA4
  • Halo 3
  • Mass Effect

Games on my 'to buy' list:

• Godfather
  • Gun
  • Fight Night 3
  • Condemned

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:29:14 PM by Jancelot » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on March 07, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

I used my 360 with the 24 inch Dell monitor as well and it looked fantastic. (Then I got a new HDTV and moved the 360 over to the living room.) You'll need to pick up the Xbox 360 VGA cables.

Well, he could use the component in that comes with the 360, but it's definitely preferable to go with the VGA cable.  Either way, he'll have HD from the start.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »

So when are the kids going to get through all those PS2 and 360 games? icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 01:12:06 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on March 07, 2007, 05:48:33 PM

So when are the kids going to get through all those PS2 and 360 games? icon_wink

I am impressed with how much they've played their PS2 stuff.  I think they've finished or overplayed maybe 10 of the 20ish they have.  I played through and beat 2 of them, but lately my game time suxxor.  I want to kill off the Onimusha series this month if I can, I really love that series and have had a blast playing it.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »

You too?  I am skipping several upgrade cycles on the PCs here as I am a bit tired of this little clique hardware and software companies are in on to screw people into spending hundreds/thousands a year on placebo upgrades.  The last major upgrades here were on 8/15/2006.  I will be going at least the end of 2008 before I spend another dime on PC upgrades - probably longer.  At best, there are probably only 5-6 titles coming out this year I am interested in and of those, zero will need upgrades to run fine.  Frankly, with 2006 being a record PC gaming year for me seeing almost all of the 3-6 year+ development titles I was waiting for, I don't think the next 3 years in PC gaming will offer me that much. (though I could be wrong)

At this point, it looks like the consoles will be carrying more weight for the next few years, the savings will be appreciated.  Sorry hardware makers.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 09, 2007, 04:58:41 PM

You too?  I am skipping several upgrade cycles on the PCs here as I am a bit tired of this little clique hardware and software companies are in on to screw people into spending hundreds/thousands a year on placebo upgrades.  The last major upgrades here were on 8/15/2006.  I will be going at least the end of 2008 before I spend another dime on PC upgrades - probably longer.  At best, there are probably only 5-6 titles coming out this year I am interested in and of those, zero will need upgrades to run fine.  Frankly, with 2006 being a record PC gaming year for me seeing almost all of the 3-6 year+ development titles I was waiting for, I don't think the next 3 years in PC gaming will offer me that much. (though I could be wrong)

At this point, it looks like the consoles will be carrying more weight for the next few years, the savings will be appreciated.  Sorry hardware makers.

I did this as well.  The last time I upgraded my PC was in 2003.  It has a P4 3 GHz, 1 G RAM, Radeon 9800.  I was upgrading my video card every year at $400-$500 a pop and upgrading my proc/motherboard/RAM about a year and a half at the most at a time.  I realized how much money I was spending and also realizing that, while I loved PC gaming, they tend to be more complex games requiring more of my time and that I was sitting at a keyboard and monitor for hours after being at work in the same setup for 8.  The couch is a much more pleasant place to be.

Now, the only PC Gaming I do is WoW and it runs just great on that old computer.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on March 09, 2007, 01:12:06 PM

Quote from: Farscry on March 07, 2007, 05:48:33 PM

I am impressed with how much they've played their PS2 stuff.  I think they've finished or overplayed maybe 10 of the 20ish they have.

That's awesome. icon_biggrin They're going to love the 360 too then, I'm sure!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 07:07:01 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on March 09, 2007, 05:06:34 PM

Quote from: Kobra on March 09, 2007, 04:58:41 PM

I did this as well.  The last time I upgraded my PC was in 2003.  It has a P4 3 GHz, 1 G RAM, Radeon 9800.  I was upgrading my video card every year at $400-$500 a pop and upgrading my proc/motherboard/RAM about a year and a half at the most at a time.  I realized how much money I was spending and also realizing that, while I loved PC gaming, they tend to be more complex games requiring more of my time and that I was sitting at a keyboard and monitor for hours after being at work in the same setup for 8.  The couch is a much more pleasant place to be.

Now, the only PC Gaming I do is WoW and it runs just great on that old computer.

Coming to the same conclusion. Strongly considering a 360 to help break my WoW addiction and be able to play with the kids (or at least the older one).
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »

Count me in too.  Got a 360 and a Wii and don't even look at the PC anymore.  Got sick of having to shell out $$ to keep up with the cpu and graphics upgrades.  Never been happier with gaming as i am now with my 360 and Wii.  More gaming than i know what to do with.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: