http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 04:13:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Great Steam Experiment! (now general Steam discussion)  (Read 11435 times)
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 02, 2010, 10:38:30 AM

Finished Portal last night - what an incredible experience!  I'm going to post my theories when I get home from work...does anyone think we still need spoiler tags at this point?

Remember when
Spoiler for Hiden:
the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye" and you were like "No way!" And then I was all "We pretended we were going to murder you?" That was great!

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 02, 2010, 09:04:09 PM

Guys, how can my girlfriend and I both play my Steam games properly?  We both have separate logins on the same PC which works out great for gaming because our saves don't mingle and we don't have to say "I'll take the first three slots, you take the second three" like the bad old days.

Now, obviously she's going to have to use my Steam account.  But even if I quit Steam altogether and she logs in and loads it up, she still gets my saves.  Are we going to have to go back to the bad old days or is there a solution to this?

what?  afaik and assume, steam has no bearings on your game save files. steam isn't a universal account thing for all your games' saves in the same way XBL is. is that what you're thinking? otherwise, I am totally lost in what exactly you were trying to accomplish.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »

Yup, saved games are placed wherever the game in question want them to be, which should never be the Steam folders. Which game is this? Perhaps it doesn't save to your individual user folders?
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »

Yeah, what's happened - purely coincidentally - is the first game I looked at was Portal which, being a Valve game, does store its saves in the Steam directory.  So I just assumed that's what all Steam games do.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

This thread has helped get over not being able to fly in FSX since my joystick broke.

It also has emptied my credit card somewhat, been drinking again tonight and just got HL2 ep2  eek
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »

Automatic patching isn't always good.  A recent patch to Eufloria - a game I'm currently enjoying rather a lot - has broken save games.  A single level can take an hour to play and there's no saving within levels.  I had got well beyond level 10 and now I have to start again.

And yes, I realise it's the dev's fault and not Steam's.  For his part, he was extremely apologetic about it.

Steam profile
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 07, 2010, 08:48:54 AM

Automatic patching isn't always good.  A recent patch to Eufloria - a game I'm currently enjoying rather a lot - has broken save games.  A single level can take an hour to play and there's no saving within levels.  I had got well beyond level 10 and now I have to start again.

And yes, I realise it's the dev's fault and not Steam's.  For his part, he was extremely apologetic about it.

I liked the demo of Eufloria, but wondered if it was all the game really had to offer?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2010, 02:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on December 07, 2010, 02:27:04 PM

I liked the demo of Eufloria, but wondered if it was all the game really had to offer?

I haven't seen all the campaign yet, which is still introducing elements to me, and I haven't tried skirmish mode.  What you may not have seen are flowers - as Dyson trees and defence trees mature, they produce flowers.  A Dyson flower produces mega-seedlings while defence flowers produce mines which can be sent to other asteroids and will explode, taking out lots of seedlings in the process.  Kind of the way defence trees work themselves, except obviously the trees can't move.

Again, I haven't seen everything yet but I would say there probably isn't a huge deal more than you've seen in the demo.  There does seem to be a lengthy campaign though, and what looks like a good skirmish mode that I've yet to dive into.

I wanted it for ages but didn't feel it was worth £15.  However I got it in one of the indie packs in the recent Steam sale so I paid next to nothing for it, and it's been keeping me going for quite a while actually!  It's great for when I don't feel like playing anything more involving.

Steam profile
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »

I believe you can turn off automatic patching - I know you can per game, not sure if there is an overall setting.  I just keep it on.  The way to do it per game is to right click on the game within your library and choose properties - it is in there someplace - I know, not extremely helpful, but should lead you in the right direction.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on December 07, 2010, 02:27:04 PM

I think you probably missed the best chance to get it: during the Thanksgiving sale they had it as part of a 5 game indie pack that was 5 bucks.  maybe they'll bring them back for the Holiday sale.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »

Ya, i'll be sure to pick it up now if it does.

Thanks

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on December 07, 2010, 02:38:01 PM

I believe you can turn off automatic patching - I know you can per game, not sure if there is an overall setting.  I just keep it on.  The way to do it per game is to right click on the game within your library and choose properties - it is in there someplace - I know, not extremely helpful, but should lead you in the right direction.

Splendid, thanks Cragmyre!

Steam profile
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 07, 2010, 03:26:59 PM

Caveat: Turning it off doesn't always work, exactly.  It should stop the game from patching in the background, but if you launch the game and it sees there's a patch, it will still go ahead and autopatch before running.  I think all Steam games will behave that way, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's an occasional annoyance.  At least if a dev issues a broken patch, they can usually get a fix up pretty fast through Steam.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on December 07, 2010, 05:01:50 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 07, 2010, 03:26:59 PM

I believe you can turn off automatic patching - I know you can per game, not sure if there is an overall setting.  I just keep it on.  The way to do it per game is to right click on the game within your library and choose properties - it is in there someplace - I know, not extremely helpful, but should lead you in the right direction.

Caveat: Turning it off doesn't always work, exactly.  It should stop the game from patching in the background, but if you launch the game and it sees there's a patch, it will still go ahead and autopatch before running.  I think all Steam games will behave that way, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's an occasional annoyance.  At least if a dev issues a broken patch, they can usually get a fix up pretty fast through Steam.

I've dodged that bullet a few times - it's taken so long to get back to some games that broken patches have been replaced by working patches before I even notice. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38:42 AM »

So, Huw - How many steam games do you have now? :-D

A new one
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

I have eighteen, not counting expansions.  They were all bought during the recent sales.  I haven't bought another game since, as I expected, because the prices are now ridiculous for the wrong reasons. slywink

Retail is still cheaper than digital distribution in general and Steam is certainly no exception.  In fact, Steam, Impulse and Gamersgate can't really be differentiated at all in the UK based on non-sale prices.  Therefore I would still give the edge to Impulse and GG because I don't have to ask them for permission to play my games.  Sorry, subscriptions...

In conclusion, then, Steam has absolutely found a place in my gaming life.  But it's no more than an alternative service.  Its one major plus is that its sales are amazing.  Impulse's sales would be funny if they weren't so insulting, not to mention the dreaded regional locks that plague its service.  Gamersgate's sales are actually very good and I like the loyalty rewards, however sadly they simply don't have the catalogue that Steam has.  Great support though.

I've gone from being outright hostile to Steam to "I'll use it if I have to or there's a fantastic sale on."  This is in some part due to some of my misconceptions being corrected in the other thread and from using the client myself.  I cannot, however, envisage a time when I'll be someone who doesn't even buy a game if it isn't on Steam.  Hell, I won't buy a game via the internet at all if I can get it at a reasonable price at retail.

Steam profile
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2010, 01:46:38 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 08, 2010, 09:08:50 AM

I have eighteen, not counting expansions.  They were all bought during the recent sales.  I haven't bought another game since, as I expected, because the prices are now ridiculous for the wrong reasons. slywink

Retail is still cheaper than digital distribution in general and Steam is certainly no exception.  In fact, Steam, Impulse and Gamersgate can't really be differentiated at all in the UK based on non-sale prices.  Therefore I would still give the edge to Impulse and GG because I don't have to ask them for permission to play my games.  Sorry, subscriptions...

In conclusion, then, Steam has absolutely found a place in my gaming life.  But it's no more than an alternative service.  Its one major plus is that its sales are amazing.  Impulse's sales would be funny if they weren't so insulting, not to mention the dreaded regional locks that plague its service.  Gamersgate's sales are actually very good and I like the loyalty rewards, however sadly they simply don't have the catalogue that Steam has.  Great support though.

I've gone from being outright hostile to Steam to "I'll use it if I have to or there's a fantastic sale on."  This is in some part due to some of my misconceptions being corrected in the other thread and from using the client myself.  I cannot, however, envisage a time when I'll be someone who doesn't even buy a game if it isn't on Steam.  Hell, I won't buy a game via the internet at all if I can get it at a reasonable price at retail.

Holiday sale is on. Prepare to empty your wallet!
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »

Yeah, I bought the indie fantasy pack which was the only must-have.  There are some tempting deals there but I'm short of cash and Railworks 2 didn't come down in price as much as I'd hoped.  My wallet's safe for now. smile

Steam profile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »

You are such a steam-whore, Huw...

;-)

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:36 AM »

This thread should be renamed to "My Great Steam Experience!". slywink
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2010, 08:34:22 AM »

Hahaha!  Whatever!  Yeah, Steam isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, I admit that.  The sales are its killer feature, but otherwise there's less in it for we Europeans than there is for Americans.

Steam profile
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »

Being a Aussie.. steam is a good thing when the sales are on as our retailers can't match it
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:32:27 AM by Appollo » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2010, 07:41:38 AM

Railworks 2 didn't come down in price as much as I'd hoped.  My wallet's safe for now. smile

I thought 50% was good enough, so I pulled the trigger.  The cool thing is there is a scenario that takes place where I live...Castle Rock.  Will be nice running those trains.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »

Yeah, I bought the indie fantasy pack which was the only must-have.  There are some tempting deals there but I'm short of cash and Railworks 2 didn't come down in price as much as I'd hoped.  My wallet's safe for now. smile

Should be different sales every day.  I remember getting Torchlight for 5$ (75% off) last year on a one day sale.  However, it was only $10 (50% off) during the 'whole' sale period.  I tend not to by anything unless it is on the super duper daily deals.  then at the end of sale I will grab whatever did not make it on super duper sale and just get it at the 'regular' sale price.  Provided I have any $$$ left!  This make sense? 

morlac00 on PSN
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »

Yep that made sense, or it did to me anyway. slywink

Steam profile
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »

Railworks 2 is on today's daily list for 85% off - $6.00 US

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on December 22, 2010, 06:01:52 PM

Woooo!  £4.50 - that'll do!  Thanks for the heads-up. smile

Steam profile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 21, 2010, 08:34:22 AM

Hahaha!  Whatever!  Yeah, Steam isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be, I admit that.  The sales are its killer feature, but otherwise there's less in it for we Europeans than there is for Americans.

You know I was thinking about this, I think the Steam Sales only really kicked in last Christmas. Before then we really had no sales to speak of.Now the Steam Sales are awesome it makes me wonder if they have persuaded everyone on the maths. 100 sales at 1 dollar is way better than 10 for 5$

Anyone else of this opinion that the Sales is only a recent feature - just demonstrates how steam evolves with the times

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2010, 09:12:47 PM »

Bah!  I bought it just two days ago at 50% off.  Why have it for sale at one price and then lower it again two days later?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »

That's why you always wait until the last day for the sales with daily deals in addition to other stuff being marked down.

Because I can,
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 22, 2010, 09:12:47 PM

Bah!  I bought it just two days ago at 50% off.  Why have it for sale at one price and then lower it again two days later?

Trying to encourage you to visit their site every day.  If you can't visit every day, you have the one deal.  If you can visit every day, look for the daily deal which will happen at some point for darn near every game.  This is why I still haven't touched Fallout: New Vegas, yet.  Waiting for the daily deal.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2010, 07:12:21 PM »

Quote from: theohall on December 23, 2010, 06:45:07 PM

Quote from: The Grue on December 22, 2010, 09:12:47 PM

Trying to encourage you to visit their site every day.  If you can't visit every day, you have the one deal.  If you can visit every day, look for the daily deal which will happen at some point for darn near every game.  This is why I still haven't touched Fallout: New Vegas, yet.  Waiting for the daily deal.

I did visit the site every day.  That's why I know.  I guess looking back, though, the 50% off thing wasn't one of the Christmas deals.  I should have waited to see if it would become one (and it did).

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »

Yeah, there are some 50% off games I'm waiting on to see if they get cut further at some point.  So far I've only purchased one game (Just Cause 2 for $7.50 yesterday), though I may bite on Alpha Protocol today.

Last year I completely forgot about the Steam sale and only had the budget for one $30 game.  This year I'm better prepared, but I'm not sure that's a good thing.  icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »

I missed spore.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 23, 2010, 08:59:32 PM

I missed spore.

Hang your head in shame.

Because I can,
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 23, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2010, 09:17:34 PM

I missed spore.

Hang your head in shame.

Is it good, I was heavily wrapped up in MSFS and didn't realy follow what it turned out like.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2010, 09:17:34 PM

I missed spore.

Hang your head in shame.

Yeah, because it was everything it was promised to be...

Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »

FFS, why does Steam feel the need to reinstall Direct X every time I boot up a new game?   icon_evil

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 23, 2010, 11:54:38 PM

FFS, why does Steam feel the need to reinstall Direct X every time I boot up a new game?   icon_evil
It checks to make sure you got all the components needed for a game. Even the boxed copies do the same.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: