http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:43:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My god the first level of Baldur's Gate sucked.  (Read 1600 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »

I started re-playing Baldur's Gate recently, as I've been nostalgic for some classic single player strategy-RPG action, and it's one of the best that I've played. Also, never having finished Throne of Bhaal is something I need to remedy.

The game has aged fairly well, all considered. I started off playing a druid, and then re-started with a Ranger. There's a few problems I have with the game (not enough clerics available, imo - last time through I played a cleric and wanted a different challenge; can't really truly play evil if you want to be able to progress in the game, and bows are ridiculously OP compared to swords. The pathing is horrific. Ordering Khalid to go and die because he's irritating so that you can keep Jaheira in the party isn't right. A kobold should not be more challenging than a carrion crawler... and raise dead is the most OP spell ever)

But the biggest issue I have, and one that I simply don't remember having before, is just how HARD getting to level two is in the game. If you follow the base storyline (candlekeep -- Inn --- Nashkel -- Nashkel mines) you're pretty much up the creek with no paddle against all the fricking cheap bastard kobolds with a bow who one shot your ass. They give 1.2 xp per kill too, so you're not going to be getting a level in those mines. But you're going to die, a LOT. When it's just as difficult to wander over to the sword coast and try to take down sirenes at 2,000 xp per kill vs a kobold for 7 xp per, something's not balanced very well.

And yet, I'm still having fun, ten years later.

Hooray for Baldur's Gate!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »

And here I thought this was going to be about the opening 'area' in either BG1 or 2. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 12, 2009, 03:26:03 PM

And here I thought this was going to be about the opening 'area' in either BG1 or 2. biggrin

I could never get into the first Baldurs Gate because I kept getting my arse handed to me in the beginning, and BG 2 took about a year of aborted attempts to finally click with me (pretty much once I got passed the opening area), so I'm guessing you're both right.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:45:37 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 12, 2009, 03:08:10 PM

The pathing is horrific.

As I recall, you needed to up the path nodes in the .ini file...from the patch notes:

xb.  Game Changes and Additions:

Support for increasing the path searching AI.
     To increase the path searching AI, the following entry has been added
     to the baldur.ini file that is installed in the root of the installation
     directory:

[Program Options]
        Path Search Nodes=4000

To increase or decrease the AI, vary the number of Nodes (4000 above).
     The range can vary from 2000 to 32000.
     Increases the number above will increase the number of nodes in path
     searching at the expense of responsiveness to movement commands.  Note
     that unless your machine is slower than a P2 you can probably set the
     value to 32000 and not notice any speed difference.  This will help
     fix getting stuck on terrain obstacles.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2009, 03:40:40 PM

I could never get into the first Baldurs Gate because I kept getting my arse handed to me in the beginning, and BG 2 took about a year of aborted attempts to finally click with me (pretty much once I got passed the opening area), so I'm guessing you're both right.

I was the reverse.  I got all the way to the end, and couldn't win the final fight.  By the time I got there, I was in no mood to go back to some other area and level up more, so I just stopped playing.  Never even opened BG 2 for this reason...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

This is one of the most shameful things I care to admit about my gaming history.

I sunk well over 100 hours into BG1 and BG2, yet never finished the Throne of Bhall.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:03:28 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 12, 2009, 03:50:01 PM

I was the reverse.  I got all the way to the end, and couldn't win the final fight.  By the time I got there, I was in no mood to go back to some other area and level up more, so I just stopped playing.  Never even opened BG 2 for this reason...

Fuck that noise, that's exactly why cheat codes were invented.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on June 12, 2009, 05:07:06 PM

This is one of the most shameful things I care to admit about my gaming history.

I sunk well over 100 hours into BG1 and BG2, yet never finished the Throne of Bhall.

I bought Throne of Bhaal on release day. In fact, I distinctly remember riding around on the subways going to multiple ebgames to try to find it a day early. I installed it and pretty quickly realized I had no idea what was going on anymore. I never did go back to it. I will finish it this time. Should be about 3 months or so from now.

And yes, I was talking about getting from level 1 to 2. It took me a few play sessions to get that done. And then about 15 minutes I think to go from 2 to 3 when my party was no longer getting killed on every other battle, whenever someone rolled a 20.

I also couldn't find my BG1 manual. I found the BG2 and throne of bhaal manuals though. MAN! These are quality instruction books. I miss the days when you'd get a game and have a 200 page book. Sure it's redundant but it just helps suck me in more.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:49:25 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »

I know, I used to love every new Bioware/Black Isle game that came out.  I would devour the manuals, with their in depth spell descriptions.  It was like a flight sim but an RPG.

I really should go back and finish TOB, haha who am I kidding.

"Goonies never say die"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »

I just played through Baldur's Gate 1 and loved it until I got to the city itself.  Then I just got tired wandering around the city and gave up on it.

I don't remember feeling that way about BG2's big city.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »

Quote from: warning on June 12, 2009, 10:32:40 PM

I just played through Baldur's Gate 1 and loved it until I got to the city itself.  Then I just got tired wandering around the city and gave up on it.

I don't remember feeling that way about BG2's big city.

one of the major improvements going from BG to BG2 was the efficiency of design in the game world.  the original Baldur's Gate had a big problem with including large areas that you had to cross for very little reason or benefit...lots of wasted space that kept you running too much without accomplishing anything.  they did a much better job in BG2 of streamlining the experience, making the game world large without being empty or repetitive.  while they are both great games in their own way, the advancements made for BG2 resulted in a much more enjoyable gaming experience.  i'd love to have the time to go back and play the entire series again...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 12, 2009, 03:50:01 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2009, 03:40:40 PM

I was the reverse.  I got all the way to the end, and couldn't win the final fight.  By the time I got there, I was in no mood to go back to some other area and level up more, so I just stopped playing. 

This was me.  Got all the way to the end and the final fight beat me down.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »

Final fight was tough. Helps to have at least 2 mage types to dispel magic. And then have scrolls on top of that. If it gets too tough, though, you can always lower the difficulty.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »

2 different times I got to the mines and gave up. 3rd time was the charm. I read up about giving everyone ranged weps and there ya go. I was off and didn't stop till the end of the addon.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: