http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My girlfriend's a dirty pirate!  (Read 1631 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »

So I went over to my girlfriend's last night and she mentioned that one of her co-workers had given her a lot of DS games.  'Great!' I thought, nothing wrong with lots of games!  Anyways she was playing an English learning game on her DS and I saw Animal Crossing which I had bought for her lying on the table but nothing else-I thought I was going to have to sift through a pile of DS cartridges.  I didn't pay it any mind though and eventually I got a chance at the DS. I turned it on and after the warning screen, up popped a whole list of DS games!  I couldn't believe it!  Mario Kart DS, Zelda, New SMB, all those ridiculous training games. I tried out a couple of them which I suppose makes me an accomplice to the crime.  First impression-it all worked flawlessly and boy was it ever convenient! I was actually a little envious (not of the games, but rather the convenience). I was also a little surprised that my girlfriend thought nothing of paying her co-worker to get this thing off the internet somewhere.  I mean, this girl is totally on the straight and narrow and chastises me whenever I stick my legs out too far when sitting down on the train, or for not putting my  phone on silent mode when we're on the train out of respect for others.  If that's the common attitude towards piracy in Japan then no wonder you aren't able to rent video games in this country!

Anyways, I feel a bit better getting that off my chest.  I was just curious what other people's thoughts are on these new-fangled cartridges.  I don't know what kind she had but I basically told her to get one for me too-empty of games however.  I have no interest in pirating but being able to put all of my genuinely purchased DS games all on one big cartridge just seems too good to be true!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »

They are clearly disturbing if you are a video game enthusiast, as they hurt the developers. That said, they do sound damned convenient now dont they? I would love to have 20 games with me on one cart. I have a VECTREX multicart (legal, or no one cares) that has every vectrex game on it and its a hoot...

Its rampant in china/japan more so than here.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »

Damn.

I was hoping to see a picture of a hot girl in a pirate costume.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »

Sometimes there are advantages to being a pirate smile
They are really convenient. It was the same deal with the org Xbox - having 20 games on a hdd + no loading times = win smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:47 PM »

I know people with the cartridges; they're cheap and easy to come by. The nice thing is the homebrew apps and videos you can run on them. Carrying your DS games on the same cart is bonus.

I don't see the cart as piracy, however your girlfriends method certainly is. You should give her a pirate spanking.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 18, 2008, 01:05:47 PM

You should give her a pirate spanking.

yeah, make her walk the 'plank'  Tongue  Maybe game companies should get wise and use those cratridges to release game compilations of the older GBA stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »

This deserves to be investigated. I volunteer to spend time in Japan researching said women should you cover my expenses and explain the situation to my girlfriend.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »

Thread is saved.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 18, 2008, 03:32:06 PM

Thread is saved.

I <3 The Grue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

Someone said that 80% of Americans are playing pirated games on the DS, which is a figure that cannot be correct, but that number would grow if this convenience were something so easy to come by here.  I would happily do that, too, BUT only for the games I already own.  That way I can cut down on the little baggies I take with the DS, and I might even play games that I'd forgotten about.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 18, 2008, 03:32:06 PM

Thread is saved.

I'll see your Victoria Secret pirate girl and raise you a wide-eyed, shiver-me timber anime pirate girl:

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 18, 2008, 04:02:08 PM

Someone said that 80% of Americans are playing pirated games on the DS, which is a figure that cannot be correct, but that number would grow if this convenience were something so easy to come by here.  I would happily do that, too, BUT only for the games I already own.  That way I can cut down on the little baggies I take with the DS, and I might even play games that I'd forgotten about.

why i love a hacked psp so much.  games i would otherwise shelve and probably not play again get a second chance now and again.  i would do this for the ds in an instant but i hate buying this stuff online.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 04:26:09 PM »

Spoiler for potentially NSFW images spurned by the topic of Japanese pirate girls and spankings  :thumbsup::

Just thought I'd play along.

Now go make these outfits, fit your gf into them, and post them on the net as penance for her crimes. Tongue

[edited by Purge to keep the NSFW from being obtrusive -sorry Myto]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:53:01 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »

Well, I was going to post on this thread, until Purge took it in a direction I wasn't particularly interested in. You are a Bad Boy, Mr. Purge.

So I'm not posting here - so, so, so - there!   icon_twisted

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 04:39:21 PM »

Plunder...booty...etc.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 04:43:58 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on July 18, 2008, 04:32:42 PM

Well, I was going to post on this thread, until Purge took it in a direction I wasn't particularly interested in. You are a Bad Boy, Mr. Purge.

So I'm not posting here - so, so, so - there!   icon_twisted

Sorry Myto, I had to appeal to my base instincts there. Tongue

As for homebrew apps, there are tons of them that work magnificently. I highly recommend getting a card and the microSD card. You could pull down copies of your legit games too so that you'd never have to swap them out. nod I don't currently own a DS but I know a lot of people who do it that way.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

ah, a nsfw thread evolution.  of course, when you put (japanese) "girlfriend" and "pirate" in the same title, you should expect this to happen.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 18, 2008, 04:45:24 PM

ah, a nsfw thread evolution.  of course, when you put (japanese) "girlfriend" and "pirate" in the same title, you should expect this to happen.

spoilered the images above to avoid problems for people. smile

Did NOT remove though. icon_twisted

Moved the clean ones here as not to distract -

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »

I don't understand society's unspoken sanctioning of owning pirated media. Even my friend who works for the video game industry has one of those DS carts, he's biting the hand that feeds him and shitting where he's eating. *shrug* I guess I'll never comprehend it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »

I work in the industry, and I'd like one too, but I'd be using it to put multiple legitmate carts in at once, as well as use homebrew (I'd love to have portable versions of some of the Lucasarts games that I own).  Where does one get one of these things?

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »

Weird.  I was just thinking about getting one of these.  My neighbor showed off his.  Damned convenient to have all your DS games and no carts.

Also.. this is wicked.

http://colors.brombra.net/
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! It must be Friday.  ninja2

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:12:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 12:50:08 AM »

While you need a lot of hardware to make a ROM, you can find a lot of ways to download them. If you aren't a filthy pirate, it's really easy to only download ROMs you own! That's called "making a backup" and it's legal.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 03:47:31 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on July 19, 2008, 12:50:08 AM

While you need a lot of hardware to make a ROM, you can find a lot of ways to download them. If you aren't a filthy pirate, it's really easy to only download ROMs you own! That's called "making a backup" and it's legal.

As long as you aren't running more than one version (backup and real cart), and still own the original, yeah, it's basically legal.

This is why people love modding their PSP - being able to carry a chunk (or the case of the DS, your entire collection) of your games with you on the go is fantastic. And in the PSP's case, it improves loading times.

Just make sure you own every game you do with this, and it's all good.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: