http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My backlog just exploded.  (Read 749 times)
Larraque
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

So between Black Friday, Gamefly and my Birthday, I find myself  inundated with games to play.

Within the past month I have gotten:

- Blur (Gamefly)
 - Dead Rising 2 (Gamefly)
 - DJ Hero 1
 - Band Hero
 - Lips
 - Rock Band 3 (Release Day Pickup)

- Monkey Island 1 and 2
 - Greed Corp
 - Turtles In Time Reshelled
 - Splosion Man
 - Risk Factions (When it was deal of the week a couple weeks ago)
 - Trials HD

I've only started going through this pile of gaming goodness that has ever so recently found its way to my plate. I'm pretty satisfied with my time spent in Rock Band 3 so far, but most of the other games have seen a day or two's worth of play.

My thoughts on what I've played:

Greed Corp - I played the tutorial and still have no idea how to play this thing. At least it was only $2. Is it worth slogging through figuring it out?

Splosion Man - When I played the demo I enjoyed it but got stuck on a spot. I played again and got stuck on the same spot. It wasn't a frustrating stuck, more of a 'come back to it later, I have too much else to check out'

Turtles - Saving this for playing with my friends' 8 year old kids. Played a little bit and it was fun.

Trials HD - Wow this is a much more awesome game than the random 'space marine looking' guy made it out to be. Glad it's a rail game. Bought it blindly when it was $5 based on reviews. I do not regret. Seems like it'd be more fun if I had more people on my friends list who are playing it.

Risk Factions - Bought it for the 'classic risk', stuck around for the 'new rules'.
Monkey Island 1 and 2 - Semi-known quantities. I haven't played a monkey island game before, but I know I'll love it.

DJ Hero 1 - Picked it up last night at a best buy for $40 along with Band Hero, thanks to a b-day gift card. Played the tutorial and a few songs last night. Enjoyed it muchly and looking forward to getting back to it. Woke up to Another One Bites the Dust vs Daft Punk in my head.

Band Hero - When I saw the track list I knew I had to play it. It's loaded with some great 80s pop and many current 'guilty pleasure' songs. For the most part I hate the guitar hero series for their gameplay but when the music is rockin, I can overlook its flaw of 'not being Rock Band'

Blur - Gamefly rental, but pretty sure I'm going to keep it. Loved this game when I played the beta and for $20 it's a no-brainer.

Dead Rising 2 - Just arrived yesterday from Gamefly. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Lips - Got it for my birthday for the microphones. Haven't tried the actual game yet. Will try eventually.

The predicament: What the heck do I play!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:14:59 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:28:32 PM »

my backlog is like Audrey; it's gotten so big that I have to toss games into it eventually lest it eat me in my sleep.  this week I added:

iNfAmOuS (for a replay)
White Knight Chronicles
Rathcet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Killzone
Killzone 2
Rogue Galaxy
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Sly Cooper Collection
3D Dot Heroes
Split/Second

and that's not including PC games, plus Epic Mickey should be arriving today.  I think I'm going to take a week of in January just to play games.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »

Yeah, this happened to me too. Being unemployed, I was doing an amazing job cleaning up my backlog, getting myself down to around 1-3 games per console (I kind of don't count PC because I mostly play old games on boot camp and my Steam client is filled up with sale stuff). With Black Ops coming up, I wanted a couple of things to fill in the space, so I went to Goozex and got:

The Bourne Conspiracy
GRAW 2
Rainbow Six Vegas
Far Cry 2

Then BLOPS came out and I did finish that, but there's still plenty of MP to be played. Then I got employed and picked up:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Minerva's Den DLC for Bioshock 2

I am finishing up RE4, so from Goozex I now have

Resident Evil 5

Today I will get:

Epic Mickey

From black friday sales add on to that:

Left 4 Dead 2, plus 7 other games that I have already played, but want to play again.

So pretty much I'm screwed, and Dead Space 2 comes out at the end of January smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »

I must be slacking cause the only thing I picked up was M&B: Warband and that had to be patched cause Steam sold so many copies that CD Keys to unlock the full game wasn't included.  It was finally patch to allow full use of the game past lvl 7, but still no CD key

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:26 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on November 30, 2010, 03:21:08 PM

Trials HD - Wow this is a much more awesome game than the random 'space marine looking' guy made it out to be. Glad it's a rail game. Bought it blindly when it was $5 based on reviews. I do not regret. Seems like it'd be more fun if I had more people on my friends list who are playing it.

When I played Trials HD it was a motorcycle puzzle game - perhaps you are thinking of something else?

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 30, 2010, 03:28:32 PM

Killzone
Killzone 2

I'll save you some time - don't play Killzone. If you have played any shooter in the last 5 years it will not be a very enjoyable experience.

Killzone 2, on the other hand, is very good.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 30, 2010, 03:48:19 PM

I must be slacking cause the only thing I picked up was M&B: Warband and that had to be patched cause Steam sold so many copies that CD Keys to unlock the full game wasn't included.  It was finally patch to allow full use of the game past lvl 7, but still no CD key

it sucks when that happens, I've had it happen a couple of times and it was usually fixed within a few days.  at least they 'cracked' the game for you to play in the meantime

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 30, 2010, 03:51:51 PM

Killzone
Killzone 2

I'll save you some time - don't play Killzone. If you have played any shooter in the last 5 years it will not be a very enjoyable experience.

I actually started playing KZ1 a few years back on a friends PS2 and enjoyed it, I just never got around to getting it on my own after he got rid of it.  besides, I'm a completist, which is why I'm working my way through Kingdom Hearts 1 with it's horrible control scheme (by todays standards) before playing KH2.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 30, 2010, 03:57:05 PM

Quote from: Teggy on November 30, 2010, 03:51:51 PM

Killzone
Killzone 2

I actually started playing KZ1 a few years back on a friends PS2 and enjoyed it, I just never got around to getting it on my own after he got rid of it.  besides, I'm a completist, which is why I'm working my way through Kingdom Hearts 1 with it's horrible control scheme (by todays standards) before playing KH2.

Ug, Kingdom Hearts has sat in my drawer for about 7 years taunting me. I started it way back when it released and got quite far until I got stuck on a boss and set it aside. I've never gotten around to playing it again. Not to mention it's not even my copy of the game, although my friend probably doesn't even remember he loaned it to me at this point.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 30, 2010, 03:49:26 PM

Quote from: DragonFyre on November 30, 2010, 03:21:08 PM

When I played Trials HD it was a motorcycle puzzle game - perhaps you are thinking of something else?

Motorcycle puzzle game - but on 'rails'. You're on a fixed path throughout. I hadn't played the demo and from the "box art" it looked like a space marine. slywink  I do fail at english a lot

I only played for about 30 minutes --- that's what happens when I get too many games. I go ADD on them and just start rapidly changing games.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:39:53 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:09:50 PM »

One thing I'm thankful for personally is that I pretty rarely have any issues with gaming backlogs. Everything that came out this year (and previous years as well now that I remember) that I wanted to play, I already have. Nothing else interesting enough to compile a backlog list for (at least nothing compelling enough for me to want to re-visit or check out). Yes, I do work full time and have other social activities.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:11:24 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:36:57 PM »

Quote from: spigot on November 30, 2010, 06:09:50 PM

One thing I'm thankful for personally is that I pretty rarely have any issues with gaming backlogs. Everything that came out this year (and previous years as well now that I remember) that I wanted to play, I already have. Nothing else interesting enough to compile a backlog list for (at least nothing compelling enough for me to want to re-visit or check out). Yes, I do work full time and have other social activities.

I'm kind of the same way. No backlog here. If I buy a game and it doesn't hold my interest, I trade it away and move on.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »

My current XBox backlog is Beatles Rock band and I have Saboteur out on rental.  I suppose you could count the SP for BlOps, as I have just scratched the surface.  The closest thing that would count for XBox would be my Gamefly queue, but there's nothing there that I'm just dying to play or willing to buy.  If it doesn't have MP and a strong following here, I'm not paying full price for it without another compelling reason.

Now if you want to talk about PC backlog, a good place to start would be the Steam Thanksgiving sale thread.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »

Ugh, I have the following

Darksiders
Star Ocean 4
Fable 3
AC:B
Mafia 2
Crackdown 2
Alan Wake
BlOps

I have played all of them for a little bit, mainly focusing on AC:B and Mafia.  I have Thurs-Sun off, which I dedicate to nerdom.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »

I've got kinect stuff; my controller is damaged though (fell down stairs). I'm recovering

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »

My already massive backlog has tripled ever since I got into Steam, GOG and other digital distribution services....damn sales...

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »

My biggest problem in my backlog are PC and 360 RTS games - I just can't seem to stick with them despite being very interested in the history in many of them. There always seems to be an RPG, shooter or simulation game that comes along and distracts me. They also seem to be the biggest casualty of my boardgame play time, which is considerable. My RTS list so far:

Red Alert 3
Medieval Total War
Rome Total War
Homeworld 2
Supreme Commander
WH Dawn of War
Halo Wars (replay)
TC End Wars (replay)

I'm better with my other console games and really only have F1 2010 and Lego HP to finish off. Oh wait, then there's my XBLA backlog.  Roll Eyes

Splosion Man
Rez HD
Age of Booty
Banjo Kazooie (can't believe I still haven't finished it)
Perfect Dark (I seriously can't believe I still have finished it)
Shadow Complex (replay on the hardest difficulty - I have no problem believing I still haven't finished it ) slywink
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:33:39 PM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

Steam doesn't count for backlog, right? RIGHT? paranoid

I still have to get Bayonetta finished up on 360, as well as GTA4, Dead Rising 2, Fable 3, AC:B, Castlevania, and a plethora of arcade games (Tomb Raider, Splosion Man, Comic Hero or somesuch nonsense, Turtles in Time, Castlevania, etc...)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 01, 2010, 06:48:15 PM

Steam doesn't count for backlog, right? RIGHT? paranoid

only if the games aren't installed  slywink

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »

I picked up Transformers off the Gamefly sale, and while it doesn't count, 3 games off Steam. I'm not making this any better.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:50 PM »

Ack! Metroid Other M for $10 (lightning deal minus credit) means more backlog!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: