http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 04:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 2 hour XBOX 360 Ownership... I need reassurance  (Read 1835 times)
Clay
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:03:34 AM »

So, after saving money and waiting as long as I could, I finally decided to get an XBOX 360 today.  So, I went to a local EBGames to get a premium system.  To start with, I only took home College Hoops 2K7 with it.  Maybe the Duke player on the cover was a curse (I'm a Tarheel   icon_twisted ).

I unbox it, not really know what to expect.  Everything seems normal.  I dig out a long network cable, plug everything in, put the batteries in the controller, and press the ON button...

It boots to an E67 error message.  I try again.  Same message.  I remove the hard drive, it boots fine. 

So, I get out the instructions.  That's when I find out that the box was supposed to contain a headset, too.  There was no headset in my box!  I look on the back at the manufacturing date: June 2006.  What?  Really?  There a 6/2006 XBOX 360 sitting around? 

By this point, it was 9pm and the EBGames was closing.  I gave them a call and the guy who sold me the system answered the phone.  He was totally cool and said that I could bring it back for a replacement in the morning.

Honestly, I'm thinking of just asking for a refund.  The $500 that it cost me - is that worth a system that is so unreliable?  I read these forums and QT3 every day; I've seen peoples' reports of failing 360s... but I never expected it to happen out of the box.

So, what's the word?  Should I just hold tight until the revisions come and ask for a refund tomorrow?  Or should I get a new system?  The whole thing makes me pretty damn nervous.  What's with the missing headset??  Did EBGames sell me a used machine? 

xbox live: nude rick james
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:12:44 AM »

Yes. Yes it's worth the pain.  It is SO worth it.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:17:05 AM »

Sounds suspect. Was the box sealed?

I'd return it for a new unit and make sure I got one that you can be sure is new and untampered. Once you get it set up, I'll gladly play you in College Hoops. I'm a Tarheel too.  thumbsup
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:17:49 AM »

Quote from: Clay on March 25, 2007, 02:03:34 AM

So, what's the word?  Should I just hold tight until the revisions come and ask for a refund tomorrow?  Or should I get a new system?  The whole thing makes me pretty damn nervous.  What's with the missing headset??  Did EBGames sell me a used machine? 

They'll probably exchange it for you no problem, but you'll have to raise holy hell to get a refund. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »

It is worth it...it does sound like EB screwed you...or tried to

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 02:25:16 AM »

And when you return this one for a new box, you can check the manufacturing date and serial number through a little flap on the top/side of the box.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:26:36 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 25, 2007, 02:17:49 AM

They'll probably exchange it for you no problem, but you'll have to raise holy hell to get a refund. 

On hardware?  Pretty much everybody will let you return hardware no questions asked for 30 days.  Software is where it's a bitch to get a refund. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 02:34:32 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 25, 2007, 02:26:36 AM

Quote from: Gratch on March 25, 2007, 02:17:49 AM

On hardware?  Pretty much everybody will let you return hardware no questions asked for 30 days.  Software is where it's a bitch to get a refund. 

Maybe they've changed their stance then.  I have tried to return hardware to them twice, and had to raise a massive stink both times in order to get a refund.

First time was on an unopened X-Box with a purchase receipt from the day before.  I was told they had problems with "people stealing systems then counterfeiting receipts" so they weren't accepting hardware for returns, only exchanges.  Second one was on a GBA SP that I had for a week, then decided to return and wait for the DS release.  Had to battle it out with a manager on both occasions (the X-Box one turned rather unpleasant), but they finally gave me the money back.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:46:55 AM »

Man, that's screwed up.  They're definitely on their own there since just about every other retailer will let you return game consoles no problem. 
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:56:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I really want to play it, but I also really don't want to waste lot of money.  Is there anything in particular that I should know about the manufacturing dates that will help me determine whether the machine is in a good or bad batch?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 03:08:41 AM »

Quote from: Clay on March 25, 2007, 02:56:28 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I really want to play it, but I also really don't want to waste lot of money.  Is there anything in particular that I should know about the manufacturing dates that will help me determine whether the machine is in a good or bad batch?

Honestly, I'd wait until the new 360's come out. They should be more solid and not have such a high failure rate, at least I hope to god they have the problems fixed by then. The 360 is a great machine, but they really need to improve their quality control, big time.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 03:48:04 AM »

clay get your money back and buy the xbox somewhere else.  seriously it really sounds like they tried to run a fast one on you - the thing comes out of the box VERY pretty, everything has some cozy packaging and is well placed - there is NO WAY the thing was factory boxed without a headset.

sounds like someone brought one back and forgot to put the headset in, or else switched out their broken xbox for a new one, then returned that (not uncommon, i recall people on this very forum doing such things)

and eb is so cheap and penny pinching they make it company practice to sell opened / resealed as new - so i wouldnt put it past them by a long shot
Enigma
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 04:23:27 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 25, 2007, 03:08:41 AM

Honestly, I'd wait until the new 360's come out. They should be more solid and not have such a high failure rate, at least I hope to god they have the problems fixed by then. The 360 is a great machine, but they really need to improve their quality control, big time.

Yes...if you've managed to wait this long, wait a couple more months and get the ELITE edition....runs cooler, HDMI and hopefully manufacturing/quality bugs all worked out.  For goodness sake, whatever you buy, don't buy it at gamestop/ebgames.  Those guys open up everything in the store and put it in a cabinet.  You can't buy a pack of gum in that place without having to take the package up to the front to have the guy reach behind the counter and get you your five sticks of gum to put inside.  I strongly recommend cosco or heck even walmart...they will return it for a long time.

Now Playing:
PS3: Demon Souls
PC:   Diablo III, Saints Row 3, Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery)
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 04:44:57 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 25, 2007, 03:08:41 AM

I agree.  You may as well wait for the new crop coming out and hope MS fixes the poor quality of the current 360s.  I get the same E67 message on mine, but it starts up after a 2-3 startup attempts.   I don't think I know anyone with a 360 that hasn't had some kind of problem.   Great system, but man the durability is disappointing.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 05:00:37 AM »

the rumours are that it is the end of april when the new 360 is due,so no doubt it will be about may or june

if you can hold of until then,then get the new one....but whatever happens,do get one,their online service alone is worth it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 05:19:53 AM »

Thanks guys.  I'll make a decision tomorrow.  Part of the reason I went ahead and bought it now is because I'm probably moving somewhere remote soon, where I won't be able to get and/or use one.  I was hoping to enjoy it for a few months before leaving (and then resell it), but instead, I will probably just return it for a refund. 

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »

Bought one two weeks ago made in Nov 06. Not a problem what so ever. But it is a tough call with the supposedly new and improved ones coming out this spring.

I also need to add that this is my first console. Although I've had no technical problems with the "box" I am having another dilemma. I don't find myself drawn to use it as much as I thought or hoped I would. I have Ghost Recon, Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, and rented NFS: Carbon, Tiger Wood 07. Other than the initial wow factor from the graphics of a couple of these titles they just aren't grabbing me.

I love gaming, and when I have time to game but find myself banging around on the PC still instead of enjoying my very expensive new toy, I have to wonder why.

I have the box set up in my bedroom on a dedicated 27 inch HDTV...I'm comfortable and secluded to enjoy the box, but I'm just not enthralled with it.

I think part of the problem is the games I have for it. I'm a MMORPG\RPG lover...Also flight simming is deep in my gaming roots.
From what I can tell shooters seem to be the majority of what most people like about the box.

I hope that eventually I find some titles now or soon to be released that make the purchase of this system\TV\peripherals worth the money. 
YMMV>.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:12:42 AM by Arclight » Logged

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on March 25, 2007, 02:17:05 AM

My thoughts as well. Could be someone returned it but didn't tell them it was defective.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »

I love my 360.  I'd swap it for the newest "Born on" date you can get and go from there. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02:34 PM »

Seconding a couple other posts here by saying I'd never buy a console from EB/Gamestop. I learned that the hard way when my first PSP had a couple dead pixels and the manager absolutely refused to exchange it for another because it "wasnt defective". (Places like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. have absolutely no problem exchanging it for you - no matter what the reason.)

The ONLY thing I go to gamestop for is used games, because there the word "new" doesnt really mean anything to them. I've seen them gut a brand new game just so one of the employees can take it home and play it for the night. (And then still try to pass it off as brand new and charge full retail price.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 04:40:52 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on March 25, 2007, 02:17:05 AM

I'd return it for a new unit and make sure I got one that you can be sure is new and untampered. Once you get it set up, I'll gladly play you in College Hoops. I'm a Tarheel too.  thumbsup

I was thinking the same thing. That sounds very fishy to me, almost like that 360 got swapped for a new one, and the bad one got put in that box.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 05:28:55 PM »

I don't have problems buying a new game From EB/GameStop, you simply just ask them for one of the sealed copies they have in the case behind the desk.  It's easy enough to see if the manufacturer's seal is still intact.  If all they have left is the display copy then I have no problem going somewhere else and telling them why. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »

Well, I decided to go ahead and get a replacement - this one has all of the parts, works and was made in November.  I don't know why it bothers me that the first one was made last June...  I guess I just wonder where it was sitting all that time. 

Anyhow, the only game I have is College Hoops 2K7.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »

Quote from: Clay on March 25, 2007, 07:58:35 PM

Well, I decided to go ahead and get a replacement - this one has all of the parts, works and was made in November.  I don't know why it bothers me that the first one was made last June...  I guess I just wonder where it was sitting all that time. 

Gears. Of. War.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 25, 2007, 09:44:57 PM

Gears. Of. War.

Dead. Rising.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 11:58:49 AM »

I am glad you got it man. The 360 has been the best console I have ever owned (with the PS2 a very close second). There are so many great games and more coming, great features, great everything really. Enjoy and good luck!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on March 26, 2007, 11:50:10 AM

Gears. Of. War.

Dead. Rising.

Oh. Definitely.  Best game on the system so far
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 01:23:10 PM »

Good choice. You were making Peter angry with your talk of returns....and you don't want to see him when he gets angry! icon_wink

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on March 25, 2007, 08:56:08 AM

Bought one two weeks ago made in Nov 06. Not a problem what so ever. But it is a tough call with the supposedly new and improved ones coming out this spring.

I also need to add that this is my first console. Although I've had no technical problems with the "box" I am having another dilemma. I don't find myself drawn to use it as much as I thought or hoped I would. I have Ghost Recon, Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, and rented NFS: Carbon, Tiger Wood 07. Other than the initial wow factor from the graphics of a couple of these titles they just aren't grabbing me.

I love gaming, and when I have time to game but find myself banging around on the PC still instead of enjoying my very expensive new toy, I have to wonder why.

I have the box set up in my bedroom on a dedicated 27 inch HDTV...I'm comfortable and secluded to enjoy the box, but I'm just not enthralled with it.

I think part of the problem is the games I have for it. I'm a MMORPG\RPG lover...Also flight simming is deep in my gaming roots.
From what I can tell shooters seem to be the majority of what most people like about the box.

I hope that eventually I find some titles now or soon to be released that make the purchase of this system\TV\peripherals worth the money. 
YMMV>.

Interesting. This is actually the thing that has always prevented me from taking the plunge. I always go back to the more immersive RPG type games. I'm going to get one of the new Xboxs, but mainly to start playing sports games with my son. I don't think i'll ever be able to give up the PC.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »

Quote from: Jag on March 26, 2007, 01:58:29 PM

Quote from: Arclight on March 25, 2007, 08:56:08 AM

YMMV>.

Interesting. This is actually the thing that has always prevented me from taking the plunge. I always go back to the more immersive RPG type games. I'm going to get one of the new Xboxs, but mainly to start playing sports games with my son. I don't think i'll ever be able to give up the PC.

The lack of RPG's was my main hold-up with the 360 as well.  However, there are a few coming for the system that look pretty interesting.    Most of them are western-style as opposed to JRPG's (with Blue Dragon being the major exception), but I think there may be enough to tide me over until I can afford a PS2 for my JRPG fix.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 26, 2007, 01:05:42 PM

Gears. Of. War.

Dead. Rising.

Actually that honor goes to Oblivion.  icon_wink

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 26, 2007, 02:18:22 PM

Gears. Of. War.

Dead. Rising.

OMGWTF!  FLAMAR! I M REPORTING J00!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 26, 2007, 02:22:45 PM

Quote from: jblank on March 26, 2007, 02:18:22 PM

Gears. Of. War.

Dead. Rising.

OMGWTF!  FLAMAR! I M REPORTING J00!

I didn't really like Dead Rising?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »

More reasons not to by systems at EB/Gamestop:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/25/gamestop-shenanigans-sell-open-games-as-new/