http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 10:48:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My (original) XBox DVD drive is screwed up  (Read 486 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »

Less than 3 years old and supposedly one of the "good" Samsung drives. Best I can tell from descriptions I have read, the tray is misaligned but I guess there could be more to it.  Drive tends to pop right back open when I close it, it makes a grinding noise when discs finally do load up, it freezes for periods during gameplay and the music often drops out. I found instructions on the net for realigning one of the older drive types, but I broke open the drive and the internals were a bit different on the Samsung. I've got us on an austerity budget now to pay down grad school loans so I can't really justify replacing it, especially since I have plenty of backlog on the PS2 and Wii. But I just ordered a copy of Splinter Cell 3 from an Amazon gift certificate I had won and now I can't play it.  crybaby
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:02:52 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

Teggy have you checked around to see what a preowned or refurbished unit costs. I know that EB is only offering a $18 trade in value for them where I live, so you should be able to get 1 cheap. I'd offer you mine for cheap, but I just gifted it to my nephew who's away at college with no console to play.
Have you posted a LF in the trading forum for one; maybe some other GT'er has 1 kicking around gathering dust.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »

Well, from looking around the net, I can get a new replacement drive for $50 shipped - I'm sure the boxes at GS are more than that.   What I'll probably wind up doing is asking for it for the holidays, which is kind of lame, but oh well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »

Same exact 'chainsaw' noise happened to mine that was purchased last Christmas . . . all I had to do was hold the phone up to the console and they agreed to send me a box.  Just got the replacement unit last week . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: