http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:36:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M:TG - Duels coming on Steam  (Read 1193 times)
Cragmyre
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »

Hey all!  So it looks like the game that is on XBLA is coming to Steam.  You can currently pre-order it ( releases sometime this month ) for $9.99 and it will come with the first expansion.  Not sure if that deal is only for pre-order though.  This is the steam link for more information:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/49400/

Though I do have the core game on the 360, I'm also getting this version.  Some games I enjoy more on my pc smile  Plus, this will maximize my ability to play with some GT'ers biggrin

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »

Purchased.  I don't have a 360 and played MtG way back when, so I'm looking forward to a cheap way to get my fix.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »

Any chance the two platforms will be able to communicate with each other for multiplay?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

Will it allow you to customize your deck more than the 360 version? That was one of my grips (as well as not allowing two-v-two with a friend online).

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »

I've checked the Wizards of the Coast forums as well as the Steam forums, and though there is speculation by users, I didn't see any official stance on the ability to customize your decks, nor on the ability to play across platforms frown

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »

Quote from: depward on June 07, 2010, 03:35:07 PM

Will it allow you to customize your deck more than the 360 version? That was one of my grips (as well as not allowing two-v-two with a friend online).

I think it's a direct port of the 360 version so i wouldnt expect anything different tbh.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:41 AM »

There's only been a handful of games that have had cross platform play between the 360 and PC. Its possible but if there's been nothing announced yet I wouldn't count on it.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »

Got it pre-ordered...be a very nice game to play on my laptop traveling when I can't take my 360 smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »

I'm thinking of picking this up.  I'm a little hesitant however as I have never, ever played a single game of Magic in my life.  Would this be a worthwhile purchase for a total noob to get? When does the game release?  Steam just says "June 2010" which is hardly specific.  I really hope that the Steam version of the game includes a  few refinements over the 360 game.
Now if that Panzer General Live game would just come out on Steam I would be happy smile
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on June 09, 2010, 02:36:55 PM

I'm thinking of picking this up.  I'm a little hesitant however as I have never, ever played a single game of Magic in my life.  Would this be a worthwhile purchase for a total noob to get? When does the game release?  Steam just says "June 2010" which is hardly specific.  I really hope that the Steam version of the game includes a  few refinements over the 360 game.
Now if that Panzer General Live game would just come out on Steam I would be happy smile

This version of Magic seems to have been created for the total noob smile  You'll start off with a couple of preconstructed decks, and can unlock more as you progress through the campaign.  You will also unlock new cards.  The only thing that you can't do, though, is modify your deck other than adding/removing the extra cards  you won.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/newtomagic.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/newtomagic/learntoplay has instructions on the card game itself, and I'm pretty sure that the downloadable demo is based upon the same Duels engine - though I have not yet tried it myself.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »

Steam is now showing this as releasing June 15th.  So if anyone wants to take advantage of the pre-order special - you have your deadline  ninja

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »

After visiting the site listed by Cragmyre and checking out the Youtube tutorials and trying the demo I decided to grab the game.  What the hell-it's only $10.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

I've been having a hell of a good time on the M:TG Online free-trial servers. I may plunk down $10 for the package and a little more for some boosters. I hear they have "pauper's games" where you can basically play all-commons decks to offset the need for spending $100s to be competitive. I've also pre-ordered Duels, for a more "structured" and balanced playstyle.

Anyone try M:TG Online? If I only intend to spend a little $$ will I still be able to have some fun?
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on June 13, 2010, 04:15:16 PM

I've been having a hell of a good time on the M:TG Online free-trial servers. I may plunk down $10 for the package and a little more for some boosters. I hear they have "pauper's games" where you can basically play all-commons decks to offset the need for spending $100s to be competitive. I've also pre-ordered Duels, for a more "structured" and balanced playstyle.

Anyone try M:TG Online? If I only intend to spend a little $$ will I still be able to have some fun?

That's my thoughts as well - i'm interested at 10 but not sure if I want to spend more....

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 04:11:29 AM »

you know what would make this game better?

if the edit deck screen was fucking functional. out-fucking-standing. did developers just trash their damn QA depts now? ffs
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

I'm able to add and remove the cards I've unlocked.  Is that not working for you?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »

Yeah the edit deck screen seems to work fine for me.  But when I click on the achievements button, nothing happens.
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »

If I could truly edit the decks and create my own decks then I would be unstoppable. Maybe those pre-constructed decks are a good thing to keep it challenging and balanced.

I still can't help but be disappointed that they ripped out the deepest and most thought provoking aspect of the game.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »

Quote from: Aganazer on June 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM

If I could truly edit the decks and create my own decks then I would be unstoppable. Maybe those pre-constructed decks are a good thing to keep it challenging and balanced.

I still can't help but be disappointed that they ripped out the deepest and most thought provoking aspect of the game.

Or that by removing deck building, they have make Duels into the first suck on the crack pipe for going to Magic TG: Online.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »

I think thats the point.  You didn't really think they were just going to give away the whole game for $10 did you? smile
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:47 AM »

Well Canuck, I've been off the smack for years now... even sold most of my cards for real coin. But now... oh... I got the shivers again man!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 05:21:10 AM »

OK, now I remember my love-hate relationship with this game.  fired it up to duel with the AI to get used to things again, start off with a hand of 4 forests, a wall and a couple of enchantments.  I keep it because of 2 reasons: I figure I'd have a good chance of drawing something good and back in the day you played with what you were dealt, no redraws unless you had no land or all land.

the next 7 rounds I proceed to draw nothing but land or enchantments/non damaging spells while my opponent keeps putting out flying creatures and pinging me to death.

fun times.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 05:40:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 17, 2010, 05:21:10 AM

the next 7 rounds I proceed to draw nothing but land or enchantments/non damaging spells while my opponent keeps putting out flying creatures and pinging me to death.

fun times.

At least when you play a live opponent you get sympathetic looks and encouragement as you get pinged to death.

Ahhh... so many misspent college nights.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:22 AM »

they just put out some more packs on Steam.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »

there's a '2012' version of this coming out over the summer.  it's being labeled as a stand alone game, so I'm guessing there probably won't be an upgrade option.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 12:16:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 10, 2011, 04:37:21 PM

there's a '2012' version of this coming out over the summer.  it's being labeled as a stand alone game, so I'm guessing there probably won't be an upgrade option.

June 15th to be precise.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »

I hope they include a real deck editor and ideally some sort of overland map/strategy aspect like the old Microprose game.

I also want to play with the original power cards (Black Lotus, Moxes, Time Walk) and not the frufru cards they have now.  Yes, I know that won't happen.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:56:43 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: