http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:34:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS - “We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same"  (Read 1358 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:58:33 PM »

John Rodman, group product manager for the Xbox platform and Xbox Live, pointed to a recent Microsoft survey that revealed that nearly 40 percent of the time that Xbox 360 users spent with their consoles was for activities other than gaming.

Yet when it comes to gaming, Xbox 360 users are serious, Mr. Rodman says. Six out of 10 Xbox 360 users use Xbox Live, Microsoft’s online gaming service.

“We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

Link to Article

Interesting - Almost half the time a 360 is on, it's not playing a game.  Only 60% of 360 users use XBox Live?  And I thought MS was trying to play nice with the Wii?

gellar
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:59:46 PM »

As someone on Qt3 pointed out, "that was before Nintendo started selling a shit-ton of Wiis."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »

I think his points are valid-and I actually think a 60% attach rate for the Live service (an additional fee) is extremely impressive given how many units multiplayer games can end up moving.

I am not sure what to think about the Wii stuff-I really agree with him, but I know so many gamers here love the system so...
Brinstil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 28, 2007, 09:58:33 PM

“We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”
As amusing as the snipe is, it's veracity is pretty weak. I bet most wii users are older than most 360 users, as the wii seems aimed at non-gamers vs. the 360's teens/early-twenties gaming demo.

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on March 28, 2007, 10:01:25 PM

I think his points are valid-and I actually think a 60% attach rate for the Live service (an additional fee) is extremely impressive given how many units multiplayer games can end up moving.

I am not sure what to think about the Wii stuff-I really agree with him, but I know so many gamers here love the system so...

Yeah, I agree. I like the Wii, it's a good system, it's the games I don't feel much love for right now.

Ditto your first sentence.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »

I'd be willing to bet that the 60% figure is for SILVER AND GOLD accounts, as there's no reason you'd quote the lower # (just Gold) and not specify.

gellar
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

Quote from: gellar on March 28, 2007, 10:06:49 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the 60% figure is for SILVER AND GOLD accounts, as there's no reason you'd quote the lower # (just Gold) and not specify.

gellar

So you think 40% of 360 owners have ZERO XBOX Live accounts? Not sure I can agree with that.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »

Quote from: jblank on March 28, 2007, 10:12:01 PM

gellar

So you think 40% of 360 owners have ZERO XBOX Live accounts? Not sure I can agree with that.

It's a dumb quote if he's only quoting Gold #s.  That's just bad PR and if there's one thing MS is good at, it's PR.  They know what number to give out, and it's the big one.

I don't think 40% is *that* far fetched, to be honest.  The requirement of broadband could certainly take a significant portion of the market out, and I know more than a handful of 360 owners who have never taken it online.

gellar
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:42:39 PM »

So, I take it that the whole Wii60 thing isn't working out so well anymore for MS then?   icon_lol

This news is sure to cause many epic threads in various forums....I think I will go check out the carnage over at NeoGaf...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 11:20:30 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on March 28, 2007, 11:07:10 PM

gellar

What's broadband penetration in households right now, especially worldwide?  I'd bet that far more than half of all 360s sold have never been connected to the Internet.

Bah, doubtful. 360 owners are probably MUCH MORE likely to have broadband, considering that PS3 and 360 owners are probably some of the more tech savvy consumers out there. Of the  8 or so people I personally know with 360's, all of them are on XBL. I think it's much higher than you guys think, same for the PS3.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:29 PM »

I'm guessing it depends on whether he's talking about the US population or the world-wide population. Things might have changed since I lived in Europe (2000), but the vast majority of people that I knew had no internet connection at all. And those families that did have an internet connection just had dial-up which was incredibly expensive.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:57 PM »

I tend to agree that average 360/PS3 gamer is going to be a different animal than then the average Wii gamer.  I don't see anything surprising in that statement.  I thought the whole point of the Wii is going after the non-traditional gamer.  No?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »

I'm almost 100% positive that those numbers do include Silver accounts.  I remember we discussed this a fair amount when MS published those stats a little while back.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 01:02:22 AM »

Quote from: jblank on March 28, 2007, 11:20:30 PM

gellar

What's broadband penetration in households right now, especially worldwide?  I'd bet that far more than half of all 360s sold have never been connected to the Internet.

Bah, doubtful. 360 owners are probably MUCH MORE likely to have broadband, considering that PS3 and 360 owners are probably some of the more tech savvy consumers out there. Of the  8 or so people I personally know with 360's, all of them are on XBL. I think it's much higher than you guys think, same for the PS3.

Of the five people really close to me who have Xbox 360's, only 3 have Live.

Sooo that lowers it from 100% to 85% of people really close to us who have 360's and who have Live.  THE STATISTIC IS DROPPING LIKE A ROCK!@

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 02:23:55 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on March 29, 2007, 01:02:22 AM

gellar

Of the five people really close to me who have Xbox 360's, only 3 have Live.

Sooo that lowers it from 100% to 85% of people really close to us who have 360's and who have Live.  THE STATISTIC IS DROPPING LIKE A ROCK!@

Drop it like its HAWT, drop like it HAWT!!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:04 AM »

i am really happy that nintendo are doing so well with the Wii,as i feel as though,they, if anyone deserve to still be here(thinking about SEGA here,pulling out of the console race,that nintendo was rumoured to be doing when the cube was on its arse)...the 360 is used every day for me..again 50/50 games/DVDs...whereas the Wii has been a bit of a hit and miss for me,VC being the main reason it gets turned on,once a week if its lucky....the wiimote,although great,has kinda lost its impact because there just isnt any games that i want at the moment,once i finished Zelda,i just lost interest,hopefully the two games i have been waiting for(metroid and mario)will change that

they are 2 different machines,hence why everyone was saying they were going to be Wii60 players,purchase a 360 and a wii...or maybe, a 'WiiS3',LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »

I like the Wii....but I'm getting no love from the Wii-mote.  I've played at a friends house inconsistantly, and the wiimote is causing me all kinds of heck.  The only game I can play is Wii Sports Bowling.  Raving Rabbids is pure crap for me, I can barely swing the sword in Zelda...*sigh* Once I own a Wii and play it on a regular basis, I'll be more comfortable with it...but until then...I may just skip playing it at friends houses unless  it is bowling.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »

Snarky comment aside, I thought it was a given that the target demographic of the 360 and the Wii were different.

I also thought that everybody had an XBL Silver account.

I also think that you have to remember that our perceptions are skewed.  Most of the people I know who own an XBox 360 are, well, the people here.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 29, 2007, 02:29:35 PM

I also thought that everybody had an XBL Silver account.

It's not automatic- if you don't bother to set it up then you don't have an account. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »

gellar

I doubt gold account ownership is that high at all. As an example I work for a software company in which virtually every employee has broadband in their home. In our company 8 staff members own 360's and 6 own -myself included-  original XBoxes. Of the 360 owners 2 don't don't have their 360 connected to the Internet at all, 1 has Live! gold and the other 5 have Live! silver. Of the original XBox owners 4 have Live! and 2 don't. The 6 XBox owners have XBConnect accounts and have used the XBC service.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:48:32 PM by kronovan » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 02:53:30 PM »

Live! was a Creative soundcard, XBox Live does not feel the need to exclaim itself.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: