http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 03:49:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS Trying to Buy Nintendo? An interesting comparison  (Read 1087 times)
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2004, 10:16:04 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/News/index.php#mseyeN

The bad thing about this is if this happened if Nintendo would become "Americanized."

American games typically have a very serious real-life tone to them. Games like Splinter Cell, Halo, Doom and others (help me out here)
are typical american thinking.  The idea is cool, composed, serious and bad ass.

Japanese designers bring us games like Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, Monster Rancher and Final Fantasy (again... Help me out here).  Which are arcadey, imaginative and "on the lighter side." (all relative)

I love the ideas from both sides of the ocean.  But if we lose one (not that Nintendo is the only game designer) of the sides I will dearly miss the other.  Who would make great console RPGs if the Japanese stopped designing video games?  Who would make me feel so ingrained in seriously saving the world (or nation or town) if American designers quit?

What do you guys think?  Am I full of poo?

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 10:22:57 PM »

The bad thing about this is if this happened if Nintendo would become "Americanized."

Though I don't think it will happen. I see this as a GOOD thing. I'm all for more mature themed games and less kids saving the princess. biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 12:10:27 AM »

I don't think that's going to happen, but...

Anyway, if it did, I don't see Nintendo "growing up" that much.  MS desperately needs Japanese-themed games to make a push there.  These games have proved sucessful world-wide, so why mess with the formula?

If you hate MS then you probably wouldn't like the deal, because I would imagine Xbox (Next, whatever it will be called) would make up some monster ground on Sony there.

Then you would have the interesting showdown between handhelds.  I think MS would totally screw up in that market unless they could basically take something just like the PSP, improve it, and make it cost half as much.  If there is one area Nintendo deserves all the credit in the world it is with handhelds.  Not to discount the franchises, but Gameboy does the job, and with the SP, does it near perfectly.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 03:16:36 AM »

Agreed - The reason to do this for MS would be to get into Japan.

Never happen!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 08:03:11 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I don't think that's going to happen, but...

I think MS would totally screw up in that market unless they could basically take something just like the PSP, improve it, and make it cost half as much.

I suspect the next market is portable music and then handheld. I'm thinking they're gonna make the XBOX2 with a port for an external mass storage device that is used as either a HDD-MP3 player, or a palm-device.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 04:10:12 PM »

wow, they are turning into the blob, they jsut swallow up every competitor. pretty soon its going to be them trying to buy ps2

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: