http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:51:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS Showing off Xbox 2 on MTV - May 12th  (Read 2603 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:49:14 PM »

Trumping Sony after Sony moved their pre-E3 meeting to Monday afternoon, Microsoft will be showing off a 30 minute special of the Xbox 2 on Thursday, May 12th on MTV.  The news is right here on the CG main page (goes directly to the news).  The special will be hosted by Elijah Wood and lots of celebrities will be on it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:02:14 PM »

I thinked Sony just got pwned in a major way. biggrin It's also further proof that MTV is no longer relevant for cutting edge music.

/sigh

Maybe video games killed the music stars...

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:12:11 PM »

Sweet, the next gen XBox already has me salivating.  Microsoft will pwn my wallet this fall.

wbs - nice avatar!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 03:39:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Sweet, the next gen XBox already has me salivating.  Microsoft will pwn my wallet this fall.

wbs - nice avatar!

Thanks! biggrin Is it odd to find it funny that two staff members now have avatars with guns pointed at the screen? slywink

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:52:23 PM »

The next XBox, eh?  Hmm.  I'll probably wait and see how the launch titles are reviewed-

The special will be hosted by Elijah Wood and lots of celebrities will be on it.

Holy crap, celebrities?!?  Really?  Wow!  This unveiling carries so much more weight now!  Elijah Wood!  Brooke Burke!  Tara Reid!  That guy from Weezer!  Awesome!  With star power like this, they won't even need to have the XBox 2 there at all -- the celebrities could just sort of *describe* what the games are like.  IN!

-Autistic Angel

(Note: The above sarcasm is not directed at AgtFox, but at the marketing gurus who believe that anyone, anywhere gives a damn about what celebrities think of videogames.)
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Thanks! biggrin Is it odd to find it funny that two staff members now have avatars with guns pointed at the screen? slywink

I would bet Vash could actually hit something.  The Storm Trooper would probably miss my monitor even though he is inside it. :o

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
...That guy from Weezer!  Awesome!

If it was Matt Sharp I would be interested.  Seven More Minutes (by The Rentals) is a great album that I just happened to be listening to today.  I would hope he has more integrity.

The only thing I really care about is whether it is backwards compatible.  Sadly, I doubt it will be.  I'll buy one anyway...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »

Sadly, celebrities are very much a part of videogaming.  I can't remember one E3 recently that didn't have celebrities at it pimping games/systems.

I finally got the Press Release up.  It sounds like MTV.com will have lots more information than presented in the show after it is done.  Anyway, the correct time for this is Thursday, May 12th at 9:30 Eastern Time.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:37:37 AM »

On the plus side, Elijah Wood is an avowed gamer so I can at least respect that they chose him to present the XB2. Giving him a bunch of PR crap to spew out is inevitable, but at least he'll understand what he's saying.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 01:57:56 AM »

I think its cool that we get to see the XBox 2 kind of early. i really cant wait to get one.

On another note, I have some sort of in-bred hatred for Elijah Wood. He makes me shudder. yuck.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 01:58:21 AM »

and, according to his Rings cast-mates,  Elijah is a very good player, too, if that makes a difference.

hey, WBS:  
It's also further proof that MTV is no longer relevant for cutting edge music.
when was the last time you actually heard music on MTV?

thanks, AgtFox - but, could you post something really big and colorful on that day, too? i tend to - "watch for it, watch for it, watch... oops, missed it!" Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 11:08:05 AM »

Wow, this is a nice coup for Microsoft!

I am eagerly awaiting the Xbox 2 (or 360 or whatever they are going to call it). My HDTV is ready and waiting to finally have a console put it to good use!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 01:47:49 PM »

All the awesome technology in the world won't mean crap if they don't get better developers/games.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 02:39:55 PM »

Quote from: "infoghost"
All the awesome technology in the world won't mean crap if they don't get better developers/games.

Well, in an Evil Avatar newspost there is a picture from ourcolony.net that may be a picture of Project Gotham Racing 3 (high res).  I am not surprised this would be one of the launch titles, we'll see what else is up Microsoft's sleeve with first and third-party games for launch.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "infoghost"

Well, in an Evil Avatar newspost there is a picture from ourcolony.net that may be a picture of Project Gotham Racing 3 (high res).  I am not surprised this would be one of the launch titles, we'll see what else is up Microsoft's sleeve with first and third-party games for launch.

Their launch should be pretty strong.  This is what is almost certain:

1) Great support from EA- almost every iteration of their annual franchise titles (Madden, Burnout, James Bond, NFSU,etc) plus The Godfather are rumored to have Xbox 2 versions in addition to versions for the current generation platforms.

2) The recently leaked Ubi release list for this fiscal year also had Xbox 2 versions of their titles (Prince of Persia 3, Splinter Cell 4, Ghost Recon 3, Rainbow Six 4, King Kong) in addition to versions for current gen platforms.

3) Rumored MS first party titles- Project Gotham Racing 3 at launch is almost certain.  Same for Perfect Dark Zero.  Probably several other first party titles in either new or existing franchise.

Quantity wise- the launch will be great.  The support from Ubi and EA pretty much guarantees a slew of Xbox 2 titles on store shelves this Christmas.

Quality wise- we'll see.  I'll be surprised if the EA and Ubisoft titles are "true" next-gen titles.  My guess is that they will use the existing engines for the current-gen games but have a new coat of paint over top due to the jump in hardware.  Much superior looking to their current-gen counterparts but not necessarily indicative of a what those same titles created from the ground up for next-gen would look and play like.  I think they'll hold the true next-gen releases for their follow-ons in 2006 when they can simulataneously develop for PS3 and Xbox 2.

MS first party titles should be pretty spectacular- created specifically for the hardware they should be MS's showcase titles.  They *really* need to create some strong franchises out of the gates next time.  MS's chief flaw this generation, IMO, is their inablilty to create and sustain franchises.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 03:03:06 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
3) Rumored MS first party titles- Project Gotham Racing 3 at launch is almost certain.  Same for Perfect Dark Zero.  Probably several other first party titles in either new or existing franchise.

I hate to poo-poo on this, but I would be extremely surprised if Perfect Dark Zero is a launch title.  Rare has become a joke with release dates.  The only thing they have to show for their purchase by Microsoft is Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Conker: Live and Reloaded has seen many delays.  It was supposed to be out pre-E3, now it comes out in June for sure.

Kameo has disappeared.  Rumors are it is going Xbox 2, but who really knows.

All of this makes me believe Perfect Dark Zero will not be ready for launch.  I don't think Microsoft will pin PDZ as a launch game unless the game is complete by E3...they cannot trust Rare to get something done on time and Microsoft will be left with egg on their face if Rare doesn't come through after Microsoft announces it as a launch release.  They also can't put Rare into a corner and rush them because the game will end up sucking if that happens honestly.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 05:50:51 PM »

Xbox 2 to ship in December, retail for $250-299?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 06:23:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"

Actually, note that it says an October or November release.  Once again, this is analysts speaking though, it would be very cool if they went $250-299, but all signs are pointing to different flavors (w/HD vs. w/o HD for instance) coming out...but who knows.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 06:37:51 PM »

I share your skepticism re: Rare, AgtFox, but they've had ample time to work on Perfect Dark Zero.  Current speculation is that delays in Kameo and Conker are from shifting resources to PD0 to ensure its ready for launch.  MS wasn't afraid to hold Bungie to the fire for either Halo or Halo 2's release and I think they will do it with Rare.  Without a Halo game to launch with, I think MS will be positioning PD0 as *the* killer-app for launch and it will be released, ready or not.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 06:49:54 PM »

but... but... Elder Scrolls: Oblivion???  

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

please tell me it will be a launch title...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 07:05:45 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
but... but... Elder Scrolls: Oblivion???  

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

please tell me it will be a launch title...

Like AgtFox's skeptism on Rare, I have a hard time putting down anything from Bethesda with a hard and fast release date (sorry Kathode!).  I'm sure that both MS and Bethesda would love to have Oblivion as a launch title but I can easily see it being bumped a few months.

RPGs are notorious for taking a long time to show up so even with a Spring 06 release, Oblivion would likely still be the first RPG for Xbox 2.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 07:22:37 PM »

PGR 3 is the killer app!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 07:31:02 PM »

wish i liked racing games!

meanwhile...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 06:18:30 AM »

I`m not a huge racing fan, but I loved both pgr games, and still do :wink: .
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »

I can tell you from personal experience Kathode isnt going to say JACK SQUAT about release dates or anything else of any subtance!! Nyah nyah kathode!!  Cool

As for the launch. Everything, rumor and all, for about a year has put this thing either late october, or the same exact day in november that the xbox launched. Either way, I will be there waiting eagerly, with my hard earned money that I can ill afford to spend.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »

Elijah Wood... I wonder if they're gonna dress him up ala Sin City. It's what his freakish looks were BORN to display.

smile Someone wanna dump it to MPG ? I don't get MTV here; I doubt it'll play on MTV Canada.

::sigh::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 02:33:04 PM »

Well, it's a worldwide unveiling on several MTV outlets.  North America (which includes Canada last I checked) will be on May 12th at 9:30pm ET, so I can only guess MTV Canada will also show it at that time.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 02:52:04 PM »

FWIW, Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo have been confirmed to be Xbox 360 launch titles.  PD0 will be the cover story in the next EGM (the issue that comes out after E3).  This is straight from EGM staffers.  Of course it *is* Rare so they could still be delayed.  I doubt it will happen though- I think MS will force Rare to get at least PD0 out at launch even if it means cutting content.  

I find it pretty funny that Kameo was shown on the back of the Cube box as "Coming Soon" when the Cube launched back in 2001.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2005, 05:39:46 PM »

Just got my EGM today and it is true that EGM's next cover story is the Xbox 2, the launch games and Perfect Dark Zero, which they confirm as a launch game.

Plus, we got an exclusive on Perfect Dark Zero: the biggest Xbox 2 launch game.  Supposedly, this game will do for Xbox 2 what Halo did for the first Xbox

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: