http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 02:54:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS Acquires Rights to Gears of War  (Read 442 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

So this is good for me as I went XB1 for this gen.  But whether this is good or bad for the series is TBD.

Judgment was trash and set the series back pretty significantly from a gameplay and 'what's in the box perspective'.  I feel like l've heard of Black Tusk...but will need to do some searching.

Also, WTF, Epic? I guess it's true. You're done as a major gaming developer.

This is my favorite franchise. I hope it turns out awesome.

Two words: Pendulum Wars!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »

I don't know whether or not this is good for gamers overall, but like the Titanfall exclusivity this is a really smart move by Microsoft.  I wasn't as big on the previous Gears games as some of you folks here, but I enjoyed them enough to be really curious to see what a next-gen version looks like.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »

Black Tusk haven't made anything yet, they are one of Microsoft's new internal studios.

I liked Gears, but I'm also kind of done with it, I never bought Judgement and don't feel like I missed anything there.    I realize it was a successful franchise and no one wants to just let that go, but those characters and that universe kind of ran its course and I feel like a new IP even with similar gameplay would be a better path.

Black Tusk were originally supposed to be developing a new IP to alternate years with Halo, but now it looks like they are just going to be the Gears shop.  What they showed at E3 has now been said to have just been concept work, and didn't represent an actual game in development.

Also, this sort of seems to imply Epic is done making conventional console games and is just going to be an engine house and maybe mobile games I guess.  Not sure what's up with Fortnite though.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:00:09 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »

I'm kinda "meh' about this..  I skipped Judgement too and really have to desire to play anyone but Marcus and with Dom dead I just think Gears is done for me,,

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 02:50:54 PM

Black Tusk were originally supposed to be developing a new IP to alternate years with Halo, but now it looks like they are just going to be the Gears shop.  What they showed at E3 has now been said to have just been concept work, and didn't represent an actual game in development.

Well that's sort of what Gears was on the 360. Get Halo one year and a Gears game the next. I also feel its not quite the franchise anymore MS thinks it is. They would be better of trying to lock up Titanfall beyond the initial game and pair it with Halo like Gears was last generation.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »

I assumed Microsoft already had the rights...
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on January 27, 2014, 04:04:49 PM

I assumed Microsoft already had the rights...

Exclusive publishing rights. Epic owned the IP until now.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 02:50:54 PM

Black Tusk haven't made anything yet, they are one of Microsoft's new internal studios.

Black Tusk were originally supposed to be developing a new IP to alternate years with Halo, but now it looks like they are just going to be the Gears shop.  What they showed at E3 has now been said to have just been concept work, and didn't represent an actual game in development.

Apparently Black Tusk has 4 projects going on currently, so I would expect they still have some original title(s) coming out.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 27, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

I'm kinda "meh' about this..  I skipped Judgement too and really have to desire to play anyone but Marcus and with Dom dead I just think Gears is done for me,,

I think this is pretty much how i feel,IMO the series is done

I was hoping this mornings Xbox game tease was to be a new RARE game that was not Kinect..oh well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »

Ok, I'm clearly behind the times.  I only played the first two, and I was super late to the party on both.  When did the series jump the shark, and what makes the change something the series can't recover from?  
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »

It's more that they finished the story.  Character arcs finished, main characters died, the enemy was completely obliterated etc.  So for any new game they either have to set it in the past or come up with a new enemy, or I suppose pull some sort of retcon in regards to the fate of the Locusts. 

This all happened by three too, Judgement already went the flashback route.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 07:16:22 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 07:14:41 PM

It's more that they finished the story.  Character arcs finished, main characters died, the enemy was completely obliterated etc.  So for any new game they either have to set it in the past or come up with a new enemy, or I suppose pull some sort of retcon in regards to the fate of the Locusts. 

This all happened by three too, Judgement already went the flashback route.

Plenty of HUGE prequel opportunity. Like, say, the Pendulum Wars.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

Pendulum wars is just a human conflict though.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 08:29:58 PM

Yes! 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »

I skipped 3 and Judgement, but it's still exciting to think of what MS could do with the franchise on more powerful hardware.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:24:10 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 27, 2014, 08:52:13 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on January 27, 2014, 08:29:58 PM

Yes! 

I hope they go with the Pendulum Wars route. Fighting humans can be just as interesting and diverse, even more so than the usual enemies of the series.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:39 AM »

If Halo was any indication, they'll find some crappy way to have the Locusts come back and threaten the world.

But this is a good move from MS, although they had the publishing rights secured, it was unlikely Epic would have made any more games in the series.

On the other hand, MS might need more new IPs, and shoving Black Tusk's new IP just to work on an old franchise isn't always a good idea.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on January 27, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

I skipped 3 and Judgement, but it's still exciting to think of what MS could do with the franchise on more powerful hardware.

Go get 3 now. It can be had for cheap. Best game of the series both SP and MP (but especially  MP).
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »

I feel like the Gears of War franchise doesn't get enough credit for how far the game play and level design advanced between the first and second games.  Maybe it's because there's no one major change you can point to, but rather a thousand subtle tweaks that collectively made a big difference.

Still need to play Gears 3, though.  I really liked that second game -- maybe I'll put that next on the list after my in-progress stuff is finished.  ATB hasn't given me a bad game recommendation yet!

-Autistic Angel
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 28, 2014, 05:23:41 PM

ATB hasn't given me a bad game recommendation yet!

After you finish Gears3, I would like to recommend the Game of Jesus.  It bucks the trend of no instruction manual, true it's 2000 pages long, but...

slywink
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:40:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 28, 2014, 01:56:46 PM

Quote from: Ridah on January 27, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

Go get 3 now. It can be had for cheap. Best game of the series both SP and MP (but especially  MP).

I already gave away my 360 so unless they port it to PC or PS4, that ship has sailed for me. I played 2-3 hours into the campaign at a friend's house, it seemed decent enough but I think, like many people, I had already checked out of the GoW franchise at that point.

Sean Lama
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 28, 2014, 05:23:41 PM

I feel like the Gears of War franchise doesn't get enough credit for how far the game play and level design advanced between the first and second games.  Maybe it's because there's no one major change you can point to, but rather a thousand subtle tweaks that collectively made a big difference.

Still need to play Gears 3, though.  I really liked that second game -- maybe I'll put that next on the list after my in-progress stuff is finished.  ATB hasn't given me a bad game recommendation yet!

-Autistic Angel

I agree with this. I think GoW and CoD in particular modernized the shooter genre considerably.

Sean Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: