http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 11:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MS's top reasons for a PC Gamer to go over to Windows 7  (Read 608 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

number 1 was 'it isn't Vista' Tongue  I wonder how much of an impact DX11 is going to have after DX10 seems to have fizzled.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »

3) Discoverability

You can use Start -> Search to find any game you just downloaded or installed. No need to launch a separate application. Likewise, you won't need to launch a game to get more info about it: The Windows 7 Games Explorer can show you in-game statistics within a preview pane plus delivers up-to-date info about your favorite game publishers and gives you the opportunity to try new games.

A look into life before Windows 7:

Ah, at long last I've purchased Starcraft 2.  Now that I've installed it---shit!  Where'd it go?!  I made the effort to make sure no desktop icons or start menu folders were created and then I forgot what directory I chose, and now I must launch a separate application to find it!

Ok, whew.  My separate application found the game.  But hold on...what is Starcraft 2?  I'd like to know more about it, but that would require I launch the game.  Ugh.  Guess I'll just make do because I don't have the opportunity to try new games.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

I look forward to my October project of upgrading the desktop from XP Home to Win 7. OK, not really, but I still hope it goes smoothly.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »

I thought they were making DX11 available for other OS's? They going to make the same dumb ass mistake again? DX10 was worth nothing so I'm not exactly bummed.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »

Point 1 -Performance- gets my attention as it's the real reason why I didn't move my gaming rig from XP to Vista. Optimizing performance is no small achievement, so kudos to the dev team if they've really pulled that off. The problem with the article though IMO, is that they don't mention the most important factor; 3rd party driver support and compatibility. From what I'm hearing it's sounds like it will be good for Win 7, but I'll definitely take a wait and see approach. If it truly ends up being as good at running legacy games as XP was and it isn't a multi-SKU confusion like Vista, I'll make the move.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »

I've been running the beta since it was released. Windows 7 runs so well in beta that it's my main OS. Vista is on an old HDD that I just took out. 7 really is a nice OS and if you grabbed at for the 50% sale you won't be disappointed. There really is little reason to be running XP, especially since XP 64bit isn't so hot and there's no reason not to be running a 64bit OS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: