http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:34:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving Xbox saves to 360  (Read 962 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:10:49 PM »

So I got the XSATA from Datel and I was able to move a bunch of my Xbox saves over to the 360 relatively painlessly.  It's amazing, because my 360 library just tripled, essentially.

However, there are some game saves that are "locked."  I expected that with a game like KOTOR, with the files being so large (that's why I'm glad I finished it), but Lego Star Wars?  Come on!

I know that a modded Xbox gives access to the hard drive, but I don't want to add a chip, and even the softmodding I've read about seems more than I need (adding all kinds of cheats and things and changing the dashboard).  I don't want to do all of that.  All I want to do is move my locked saves to the PC and then to the 360.  Anyone have any suggestions?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
So I got the XSATA from Datel and I was able to move a bunch of my Xbox saves over to the 360 relatively painlessly.  It's amazing, because my 360 library just tripled, essentially.

However, there are some game saves that are "locked."  I expected that with a game like KOTOR, with the files being so large (that's why I'm glad I finished it), but Lego Star Wars?  Come on!

I know that a modded Xbox gives access to the hard drive, but I don't want to add a chip, and even the softmodding I've read about seems more than I need (adding all kinds of cheats and things and changing the dashboard).  I don't want to do all of that.  All I want to do is move my locked saves to the PC and then to the 360.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't answer your question but it spawned one of my own.    

How did you get the saves off the original xbox?  I was under the impression this was really for getting saves from the PC to the 360 and vice versa.   How does it work with the original xbox?

Thanks for your help.

- shaggy

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »

Sorry.  I didn't use the XSATA for that, just a simple Action Replay set up.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »

Sorry.  I didn't use the XSATA for that, just a simple Action Replay set up.

Is "locked" a function of Action Replay or a function of of the save?   Is your Action Replay a demo or full retail?   That sounds like something a software company would do.  (and yes....I work for one)

- shaggy

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »

It's a function of the save.  I assume the publisher of the game decides if the save is locked or not.  My AR is full-functioning.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a way to copy "locked" saves to my PC?

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »

I researched this topic briefly and found this: http://gear.ign.com/articles/693/693530p1.html

The blurb of note:
Datel cautions, however, that some saves, demos, and downloads are locked to your particular 360 or online account. Console locked files won't work with any other console, and some other files can only be used with a particular Xbox Live account. Datel says that most saves and demos are totally open, so don't worry too much

So....depending on the game, you should be able to transfer at least some of the locked files if they came from your original xbox with your live account that is the same on both machines (but that is assuming some things about the digital signature and how its generated).

It would be great to see an actual list of games that are locked and what method they use but I couldn't find one.

As for getting the saves from your own xbox (hopefully getting at least most of the "locked saves" if they are locked to your actual account and not the console itself), the process is described here: http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=10&i=9014&s=8.

It looks like you would need Action Replay for the original xbox as well as the one you have already.

If you do go this route, I would really like to know if it works for you and which games it works on.  Stating the obvious but if only MS would automate this through live.

- shaggy

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »

Thanks, shaggydoug, but I'm actually not talking about moving the 360 stuff.  The Action Replay I have is for the original xbox, and it's there that some saves will not give you the "copy" option.  The XSATA is the device I used to get the saves on the 360, and aside from the PIA of having to lug the 360 to my PC, it worked very well.  I was able to copy a bunch of saves over and have been having a great time continuing some of the old games on the new machine.  However, some of the ones I really want to keep playing can't (at this time) be moved over from the original xbox (due to being "locked" or not copyable).  This is my problem.

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:28:30 PM »

Thanks, shaggydoug, but I'm actually not talking about moving the 360 stuff.  The Action Replay I have is for the original xbox, and it's there that some saves will not give you the "copy" option.  The XSATA is the device I used to get the saves on the 360, and aside from the PIA of having to lug the 360 to my PC, it worked very well.  I was able to copy a bunch of saves over and have been having a great time continuing some of the old games on the new machine.  However, some of the ones I really want to keep playing can't (at this time) be moved over from the original xbox (due to being "locked" or not copyable).  This is my problem.

I'm curious.....are any of the "prevented" games the following (if you happen to have tried them of course)

Forza
Halo 2
Spyro: A Hero's Tail
Crash Nitro Kart
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

You already answered my questions about Lego Star Wars and KoToR unfortunately.  

Another possible solution is to use http://www.megaxkey.com.  It apparently works with non-modded xboxes.  That could get them to your PC if they don't have the same restriction on "locked" games that AR has.  I wish I knew for sure though because this would be really cool to do.

- shaggy

<edit>fixed url link to not have .

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »

Naw, the locked saves are a function of the Xbox, not the AR (it basically does the same thing as the mega x-key).  

Of the games listed Spyro and Crash Nitro Kart can be moved for sure.  I haven't tried Forza yet, and Halo 2 I actually played through again, which was very suprising for me.  I didn't realize Spongebob was on the list, or I would have tried that.

I was able to move a bunch of games, but there are some key games I really want to move (Jade Empire, Lego Star Wars, Ninja Gaiden Black, suprisingly Grabbed by the Ghoulies, et al).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: