http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:59:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movie studios scaling back UMD movies  (Read 2430 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

Apprently they don't actually sell as well as hoped.

When a system has a lack of great games and now a lack of support for its other main feature I wonder if it will be around in a few years?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »

Isn't the PSP right now pretty much a complete failure? I like Sony, want to love the PSP, but seriously, what does it do well right now with just about no good games?
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 03:46:19 PM »

Sony should've just had some sort of official program - like an iTunes - that would convert DVD movies onto a readable file for a memory card.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:51:44 PM »

I'm probably the biggest PSP guy in here and I've never even thought about getting a UMD movie.

Isn't the PSP right now pretty much a complete failure?

Compared to the iPod? Maybe.

Compared to current handhelds sales. Not even close.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 03:54:53 PM »

Compared to the iPod? Maybe.

Compared to current handhelds sales. Not even close.

Yup. Sony hasn't been able to break out of the "handheld ghetto" that they talked about at E3 2004.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 04:20:07 PM »

Sony should've just had some sort of official program - like an iTunes - that would convert DVD movies onto a readable file for a memory card.

Sony has that exact feature coming out in March.  Too little, too late, methinks.

From here:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117938320?categoryid=18&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Sony is hoping to combat online piracy starting in March when it begins selling movies online via its Connect digital media store. Users will be able to download a pic and watch it on PSP without a disc.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Isn't the PSP right now pretty much a complete failure? I like Sony, want to love the PSP, but seriously, what does it do well right now with just about no good games?

Emulation? Of course that doesn't make Sony any money, unless the hardware is profitable.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 04:53:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"

Sony has that exact feature coming out in March.  Too little, too late, methinks.

Well not quite.  It will allow PSP owners to legally download movies.  It won't allow them to take a DVD that they own and convert that DVD into a PSP playable movie file.

That would require decrypting the DVD, something the MPAA goes out of their way to squash.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 05:37:14 PM »

PSP has lots of good games...that's the problem.
Good games don't sell systems, great ones do.
It's the great games that are missing.
The unique feature of the PSP isn't the great games it has but the fact you can get a similar console experience that you'd have at home, but on the go. That simply isn't compelling enough for more people to shell out 250 bucks for it (plus).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »

The last paragraph from that same article farley2k linked to (emphasis mine):

"Overall, Sony has shipped more than 6 million PSP units worldwide since it went on sale a year ago, making it a moderate success but not a smash hit. Nintendo DS, another handheld gaming system that went on sale a few months earlier, has shipped 14.4 million units."

Here comes Devil! :wink:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 06:14:01 PM »

Those numbers are way off. Sony has sold-through at least 10 million units worldwide and shipped around 15 million. DS has sold through 2-3 million more worldwide than the PSP.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »

I was surprised UMD movies sold so well at first, to be honest.  The idea of owning a movie just for a PSP never appealed to me when I had a PSP.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 06:26:45 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Those numbers are way off. Sony has sold-through at least 10 million units worldwide and shipped around 15 million. DS has sold through 2-3 million more worldwide than the PSP.
 Hmm perhaps the system is doing better than I thought-maybe a few killer app games will make all the difference.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 06:33:30 PM »

Link?  Not that I believe Variety is infallible but I like facts.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 06:39:59 PM »

Here comes Devil!

For the love of GOD: U.S. NUMBERS!!!!

I don't care about the number of 3DOs sold in Shitzakhistan!!

PSP vs. DS in the USA.

Although somtimes I think you're from another planet, Shifty, that's where you and I live!!!!

:wink:  :lol:

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 06:47:34 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

Link?  Not that I believe Variety is infallible but I like facts.

You're never going to find a link that clearly indicates sales across all regions. I'm basing my post on various sales threads at GAF. There's a couple of people there that compile NPD and Media Create reports against press releases issued by Nintendo and Sony.

This is, of course, as unscientific as you can get, so feel free to dismiss my figures.  Still, I'd put those figures up against a Variety repoerters claims six days a week and twice on Sudays.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »

In defense of Andrew, I've also seen that 10 million number for the PSP.  I believe they announced that last November or so.  In the US, the NPD numbers indicated only a small DS lead during the holidays - rather suprising when you consider the DS bundles and the large price difference.

The thing about the PSP is that it isn't just a game machine so we can't rely on it's popularity among gamers to judge it's success.  When I worked at GameStop, I saw lots of people who used it for travelling and they weren't really gamers; the system was valuable to them because of it's movie playback, video playback, and music features.

I'm absolutely convinced that the PSP will explode in popularity once Sony drops the price.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 07:26:39 PM »

As a psp owner, I never understood the early popularity of the UMD movies either.  They’re expensive, only work on that platform, seem silly to watch when you have a dvd and nice tv at home, and are kind of a pain to watch while traveling.  I have 2 UMD movies, both of which I watched on flights, and short of carrying around one of those UMD entertainment docking stations, holding the UMD up to see it for the length of the movie gets old.  

I haven’t touched my psp since before the holidays.  I don’t own 1 psp game that sucks me in and pulls me away from my PC, xbox 360 or watching tv.  Only when I go on business trips out of town does it really get playtime.  I’m still waiting for a great rpg or even action rpg that will suck me in.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
In defense of Andrew, I've also seen that 10 million number for the PSP.  I believe they announced that last November or so.  In the US, the NPD numbers indicated only a small DS lead during the holidays - rather suprising when you consider the DS bundles and the large price difference.

I guess I don't consider it to be that suprising.  When you look at *all* the Nintendo handhelds the numbers are much different, but people for some reason only focus on the DS.  

The PSP isn't only in competition with the DS.  It also is competing with the GBA SP, GBA SP (with better light!), and the GBA micro.   I don't know if Nintendo's strategy of having a new/redesigned handheld every ten minutes is right or not but in order to compare the two companies equally you have to take all the N's handhelds into account.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 08:12:59 PM »

I'm absolutely convinced that the PSP will explode in popularity once Sony drops the price.

Your absolutely correct. I'd own a PSP right now, but they cost to much. And I dont want a DS because it cant play movies and it doesnt have GTA. I'm a GTA Addict, I've completed everyone 100% besides Liberty Stories, and I'm dieing to play it. But I can wait, I'll play Chrono Trigger and Final FAntasy IV well I wait!

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 08:21:55 PM »

Remember, they may have announced 10million SHIPPED, not sold. ... Nintendo tends to dump less spin into their mix. They don't need to, they're making.....

wait for it.....

MONEY!! biggrin

PSP is mehware right now. They need to get it to Wowware.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

DS is mehware right now. They need to get it to Wowware.

Tongue

So does anyone have REAL sales numbers?

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2006, 08:44:55 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Remember, they may have announced 10million SHIPPED, not sold. ... Nintendo tends to dump less spin into their mix. They don't need to, they're making.....

I am differentiating between shipped and sold. It's 10 million sold, as indicated by various retail sales tracking firms. "Sold-through" means sold through retail to consumers. Sony claims to have shipped over 15 million units to retail.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »

So does anyone have REAL sales numbers?

You can find the sales numbers for Japan very easily on GAF and other sites that track Japanese games, as they are made available publicly by Media Create. NPD tracks sales in the US, but those are subscription only and cost upwards of 5 figures per year to subscribe. A lot of NPD info leaks onto the GAF forums which is about the best we can hope for, other than the occassional press release from Sony or Nintendo.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 09:26:21 PM »

I buy UMD movies. Only recently have memory stick prices fallen enough for me to get one, and I don't have much of a DVD collection besides. UMDs also have a bit more trade-in value. But the most I was paying was around $15. Selling a bare-bones UMD for $30 when the 2-disc special edition DVD is $15 was always a recipe for failure.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:03 PM »

NPD tracks sales in the US, but those are subscription only and cost upwards of 5 figures per year to subscribe.

So what we really need to do is donate more money to Ron!!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »

You know, I meant to slap up a Game Rankings comparison between
PSP http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp
and DS http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp
and go on about how the DS has so many better games, but I was suprised to find how similar the two are.  Granted, the DS's highest score is higher than the PSP's, but it's lowest is way lower (damn Ping Pals).  They both have exactly 72 titles (I was expecting the DS to have more).  They both have  17 games scoring 80% or higher.  Exactly 17.  The PSP actually has more titles scoring 70% and higher than the DS.  Now, keep in mind I'm looking at the Main Scores here (averages of Main review sites, 10 or more required).  But on cursory exploration, things don't change dramatically with other stats.

I guess it's all about perception.  And I'm not sure if it's that I'm perceiving that the PSP doesn't have the games and so isn't selling (and this would imply that ain't the case) or if it's that the DS is critically favored (which also ain't the case).  Does this mean the PSP is doing better than I thought, or worse?

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2006, 09:32:44 PM »

I guess it's all about perception. And I'm not sure if it's that I'm perceiving that the PSP doesn't have the games and so isn't selling (and this would imply that ain't the case) or if it's that the DS is critically favored (which also ain't the case).

And there you have it!!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2006, 09:42:16 PM »

Much as I hate to give Devil more anti-N food...

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »

Aren't you guys as sick and tired of making the DS vs. PSP argument as I am (we are?) of reading it? I know a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, but it gets monotonous. Both systems have pluses, both have flaws. Unless the topic is "Should I buy a DS or PSP?", why not leave it alone?

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2006, 10:19:25 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Aren't you guys as sick and tired of making the DS vs. PSP argument as I am (we are?) of reading it? I know a lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, but it gets monotonous. Both systems have pluses, both have flaws. Unless the topic is "Should I buy a DS or PSP?", why not leave it alone?

Don't worry.  In a year or so we'll all be arguing about whether the 360 or the PS3 is better.  A year ago it was the Xbox vs. PS2.

These things are cyclical and inevitable.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 01:18:16 AM »

Bullwinkle -
When you take a good look, the one-sided argument ain't so one-sided any more, huh? :wink:

adamappel -
I'm really sick of it, but I think the PSP gets a bad rap in here and I really like it so I try stick up for the poor little guy when it gets hammered. Like when Farley started this thread to bury it and Rage came right in and pissed on it's grave!!  biggrin

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 01:47:14 AM »

I've also thought that the PSP and DS aren't really all that much different when it comes to games.  I did something similar to Gamefaqs search but I just browsed through IGN's top reviews (complete shit yes but at least they're complete shit for both systems.)  The DS and the PSP basically both have the same number of high rated games.  In fact it always seemed to me that the DS had more poorly rated games.  But the fact that the DS has games like Nintendogs and Animal Crossing give it a bit higher acclaim (both games that I have absolutely no interest in.)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 02:16:26 AM »

I've always said that the wise gamer picks the games first, then the console that plays them.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: