http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mount & Blade (The Free Oblivion?)  (Read 7463 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 02, 2008, 07:12:02 AM

Still an interesting game and a worthy download but if you're choosing one to play Oblivion would win (excluding price)

Ha!  I'd take M&B over Oblivion any day.

(Having said that, I'd take Pacman over Oblivion)  Tongue

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 05:48:24 PM »

I'm not sure why people even compare the two games. They're really nothing alike. Oblivion is a big sandbox RPG whereas Mount & Blade is basically a 4X game. Of course anyone going into Mount & Blade thinking it's like Oblivion is going to be disappointed. Though I daresay the other way around is true as well. I too am of the thinking that Oblivion would be much more fun with M&B's combat system. I remember when Oblivion came out, people were saying "Why couldn't they have put in combat like Mount & Blade?" all the time. And at that time the game was nowhere near as far along as it is now. But the combat worked great.

I'd compare Mount & Blade more to a space sim, etc. than I would something like Oblivion. Sort of how you'd compare Pirates of the Burning Sea more to Eve Online than Everquest.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:50:56 PM by Kyosho » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »

Are we talking about the same Mount & Blade?  Space sim?  4X?  Like...Mount & Blade is similar to TIE Fighter and also like Civilization?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »

I picked up M&B pretty soon after it was first available, and it's always a great game to pick up from time to time and play.  Most value I've gotten out of any game I can think of.

It hasn't been updated to the very latest version, but there's a sweet Roman era mod for M&B that I've been having a blast with lately:
http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=714

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2008, 06:03:28 PM

Are we talking about the same Mount & Blade?  Space sim?  4X?  Like...Mount & Blade is similar to TIE Fighter and also like Civilization?

Haha maybe 4X isn't exactly what I mean. And not that kind of space sim either. I mean the type of space sims where you can go to different systems, become a trader taking goods from system to system, perhaps having a few runins with pirates on the way. Going on missions given by some one at a certain space port. Perhaps taking part in a war between two systems or groups of systems, etc. etc.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 02, 2008, 06:53:36 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 02, 2008, 06:03:28 PM

Haha maybe 4X isn't exactly what I mean. And not that kind of space sim either. I mean the type of space sims where you can go to different systems, become a trader taking goods from system to system, perhaps having a few runins with pirates on the way. Going on missions given by some one at a certain space port. Perhaps taking part in a war between two systems or groups of systems, etc. etc.

Ah gotcha, you mean more like an Elite or Privateer clone.
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008, 07:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 02, 2008, 05:48:24 PM

I'm not sure why people even compare the two games.

Thread title: "Mount & Blade (The Free Oblivion?)"

Quote from: corruptrelic on April 28, 2008, 03:16:12 AM

[...] dare I say this is the *free* Oblivion? [...]

I can't talk for the others, but personally, that's the only reason why I'm trying to make parallels between these two games. Because as I said, I agree, they're really not the same type of game, so you really can't expect they'll appeal to the same crowd. And that's what I said above too (in a more detailed, perhaps long-winded way).

Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

Oh my post wasn't directed at you. Just people in general. People are always comparing the two.
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 02, 2008, 07:32:09 PM

Oh my post wasn't directed at you. Just people in general. People are always comparing the two.

Understood. Kind of baffles me too...

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »

corruptrelic,

Did you just call it Horse & Mount???

Absolutely not! One of the mods must have went in and edited my post or something..  ninja

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2008, 11:38:31 PM »

i bought the game three years ago, well however you want to call it. I just got back into it, I knew that it was going to be released this summer...but MAN what changes tehre have been. The basic field gameplay is still the same and which is a huge strength. I am not one for twitch games, but man this is just so much fun running around on a horse slicing up the opponents armies. It's just way too much fun. Purely and overly addicting!

A couple of things that I figured out for myself and thought would include see if it helps folks out.

1. When starting out, grind in the arena for a few levels. It takes a few hours, but you get xps at the cost of nothing. See how far you can go. There are no rewards as far as I can tell, except for the xps.

2. In the early to mid stages go to every single tournament you can. Start placing bets on yourself. If you max bet each round you and win the whole shebang you will get about 4500 gold.

2B if you are stuck with the archery in the tournaments find a horse ASAP and hop on it. NOthing like being mobile. I suck at archery so hence I always do this.

3. I just relearned how to couch the lance thing; i think its worth it on major targets but overall I pretty much line up and right click when I am carving through a line of enemy bowmen.
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »

Question: Does the full version have more quick battles? Or at least, have the ability to change how many opponents, etc. that you can set it for?
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 04, 2008, 10:27:24 AM

Question: Does the full version have more quick battles? Or at least, have the ability to change how many opponents, etc. that you can set it for?
I'm pretty sure the full-purchase version is exactly what you're playing, it's just that your characters are level-limited while the rest of us can keep advancing.  Of course, the full version that we speak of is still not the final release, so who knows what will finally wind up in the end product.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »

Yeah the "demo" you downloaded is the full version, just caps you at level 6.

Would definitely love to see more quick battle maps added though, imagine a FULL castle siege where you have closer to 60+ troops covering all parts of the castle, and the enemy has closer to 100+, attacking from 2 or 3 different sides at the same time.
My PC would turn into a slide show but something like that would make me upgrade to a newer PC sooner than later.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

Speaking of performance, I've never had any issues with FPS or anything, but when I'm playing a quick battle, there is always one time during the battle that the game completely freezes for about 5-10 seconds. Then it's fine.  It does it about once per battle. I'm not quite sure what causes it.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

Might be the game loading up reinforcements for one side or the other.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 04, 2008, 08:38:27 PM

Speaking of performance, I've never had any issues with FPS or anything, but when I'm playing a quick battle, there is always one time during the battle that the game completely freezes for about 5-10 seconds. Then it's fine.  It does it about once per battle. I'm not quite sure what causes it.
Mine does that on the quick battles and nowhere else.

PSN ID: EduardoX
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008, 03:29:30 AM »

Going back to the thread title; I also agree that it sets up a somewhat misleading comparison between Oblivion and Mount & Blade. Oblivion's emphasis was on trying to create a deep, classic RPG experience with all the elements of story, character development, multiple races, spells, etc.: the entire panoply of we've come to expect.

Mount & Blade's primary goal appears to have been to allow us a dynamic, vivid mounted combat system with the RPG "stuff" as chrome. And it worked; worked well. I continue fighting. Not as often, but the thrill is there.

I know that if Oblivion had Mount & Blades' horse combat, I'd still be playing Oblivion. You'd never see me in the cities or on a quest. I'd just be running down goblins, couriers, wolves, King's Guard, hell dominion creatures, etc. to this day: I'd be the Zorro, the Attila, the Parthian, the Mongol of Oblivion.

But I digress; I just think these games are not in competition. Gamers looking for the entire traditional RPG experience should go for Oblivion. Gamers looking for a great horseback combat sim should try M&B.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »

I can't speak to Oblivion but M&B is my favorite mindless killing game.  It looks like it's time to start over and get another 20 hours or so entertainment out of it.

I wonder what changes they made.  One can only hope there is at least some role playing involved now, or the ability to go rogues and keep castles and towns for yourself.  smile

Some of the castles and cities are the best parts of the game.  Some are too easy and some are impossibly hard.  Both lead to tedium quickly.  But some are just a lot of fun.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

I was on 9.305 from only a couple of months ago.  Holy crap 9.51 is way different.
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

There are huge differences between 9.3 and 9.51.  From the start, you now are given a series of questions about your heritage and history, these determine your starting stats, skills and equipment.  It's much more involved than previously.

Also, the starting town is no longer there.  Instead, there are now several starting locations spread around the map.  There you can do some rudimentary training, but you'll soon want to move on.  You'll want to find some hirelings quickly just so you're not all alone on the map.

My biggest issue is that I'm finding it pretty hard to get decent quests that I can actually accomplish.  The game play is really starting to drag for me as I go from castle to castle and everyone is offering me the same missions that I cannot or will not attempt.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Debris on May 08, 2008, 01:07:54 PM

There are huge differences between 9.3 and 9.51.  From the start, you now are given a series of questions about your heritage and history, these determine your starting stats, skills and equipment.  It's much more involved than previously.

Also, the starting town is no longer there.  Instead, there are now several starting locations spread around the map.  There you can do some rudimentary training, but you'll soon want to move on.  You'll want to find some hirelings quickly just so you're not all alone on the map.

My biggest issue is that I'm finding it pretty hard to get decent quests that I can actually accomplish.  The game play is really starting to drag for me as I go from castle to castle and everyone is offering me the same missions that I cannot or will not attempt.

I'm not sure where I am going.  Right out of gate there are fast mobs of 30 or more guys everywhere.   Move has to be done with a bit more care early game and it seems like strategic map moves a lot faster than it used to.

From the boards the game actually is starting to get some role playing to give you a feel that there is a point to playing the game beyond treadmilling.  There are a lot more NPCs that have pre existing relationships.  Kings and nobles can be captured.   I see that you can train your troops faster in sparring centers on the training grounds.  I haven't seen how the new loot skill affects things.  It sounds like there are quests for items and such that can be found in towns. 

I wish I could see a list of changes because I was comfortable with the old way of doing things.  I like that it's all more bigger better.  I don't like that I can find no documentation on the history of changes made.  It sounds like I can establish my own goals in the game but I don't understand the implications of doing so.
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »

I was feeling a little lost in the game last night but then something happened that completely sucked me right back into it.

Earlier, I had signed up to be a Mercenary Captain in the employee of the Nords.  I gathered a decent sized company of 36 men and was called to the King's side to join his army.  After a small time, I was given the task of gathering 21 head of cattle for the army by the King.  I'm no herdsman and since I was given a very short time to accomplish this task, I failed miserably.  The King sent me away and I skulked off to find my fortune elsewhere, biding my time when I could ask the king once again for his favor.

Since I had started a war with the Khanites a few nights before, some of the Nord Lords were pretty pissed at me, so I spent a little time running errands for them, gaining back their trust.  This was all a few nights ago.

Then last night...

I get a message that the King was laying siege to one of the Khanite castles.  I figured I'd go talk to him to see if I could offer my services, especially since I've been doing a lot of work for his vassals.  When I get there, the King greeted me with open arms, He asked me once again to join his army and help him siege this castle.  My mission was to actually follow him around, but since he wasn't going anywhere, I just hung around his army.  Out of nowhere, a rather large Khan army pops into view and charges straight into the King's force.  I along with another Nord Lord, join the fray.

The conflict screen showed a 404 man strong Nord force vs. a 388 strong Khan force. Basically an even fight. It began on a snowy plain, with a balanced force of about 20 horses and 20 infantry on our side.  We charge ahead and ran smack dab into about 40 mounted skirmishers and lancers.  I ran my horse around lancing all that I could,  I must have taken out 10-15 of those initial riders, which was no small feat, especially since they were on faster, more maneuverable mounts.  I continued on the fight when I saw that the Lord was knocked unconscious.  A big loss at such an early stage, but we fought on.  Then came the cry that the King was down.  I doubled my efforts and was finally able to finish the skirmish.

I thought I was done, but then the conflict screen showed up again and this time it was something like  340 vs. 260.  I wasn't sure what was happening, but I charged ahead again and fought yet another large scale battle without any rest.  Once again we were victorious, and I was hoping that this battle was finally over.  Nope.  Another screen showing that we were really gaining the upper hand, but it appeared to be far from over. It was something like 320 vs. 180.  This went on a few more times. Some of my heroes went down unconscious and I even survived a few couched lance hits, but the battle went on.

I finally emerged from the fight victorious. I checked my final health and I was down to 4 HP out of a total of 47. The king himself thanked me for coming to his aid and offered me a vassalage which I accepted.  I actually went up two levels during the fight and must have taken out 50-60 units just by myself.  The fight was tough, it was long but it was hella fun. 

I can't wait to see what happens tonight...
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »

I am excited to play this weekend.  There are something like 16 heros you can bring aboard now and they all have relationships and opinions on how you should run the party.  You can incite wars or help bring peace.  You can participate in rebellions.  There is actual real coordination between armies.

...And I still haven't learned how to be a lancer.  I'm all excited to see what the hell tournaments are about but I fear that I'll need to learn to wield a lance.

Someone want to give me the walk through.  My first and foremost problem is that not matter how I try I can't get the timing down for a "swing".  Why the hell do you need to swing with a lance anyway?
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 09, 2008, 03:40:38 PM

Someone want to give me the walk through.  My first and foremost problem is that not matter how I try I can't get the timing down for a "swing".  Why the hell do you need to swing with a lance anyway?

You don't need to do anything with a lance.  When you spur your mount forward, your lance will automatically move into position or 'couch' when you hit the right speed.  From there, you just put the point of the lance onto your opponent.  Don't swing and don't use your shield or you'll disrupt the couch. If you hit them right, you'll see that you did couched damage and most of the time, you'll see a kill.

Terrain will also affect if you can couch or not, which is basically because you cannot gain speed going up hills or wading in water.

Another thing I learned is that it's faster to slow your horse, turn around and then charge again than it is to try to turn while running at full speed.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »

Massive damage results from a successful couched lance hit! Ahhhh...I remember the time when the Lord Butler and...but I digress...

I've got to dl the latest update as it sounds that alot more good stuff has been added.

I still maintain that the game was awesome two years ago and all I really needed (the horseback combat) was already there.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2008, 01:55:38 PM »

So far it's sucked me in again pretty good.  I've actually learned lancing because I had to for the tiered tournaments.  I am currently the main decision maker for a Swadian rebellion.  Taking castle and towns now has a real point and there is a coordination amongst the armies.

Fights are more epic.  Not only do armies coordinate but the tend to be larger.  I've seen some clunky lords carrying as many as 400 troops.  I've seen neutral parties baddies with as many 90 troops.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 12, 2008, 01:55:38 PM

So far it's sucked me in again pretty good.  I've actually learned lancing because I had to for the tiered tournaments.  I am currently the main decision maker for a Swadian rebellion.  Taking castle and towns now has a real point and there is a coordination amongst the armies.

The difficulty I had with the game before (about two years ago) was its ultimate pointless nature. I loved the combat and played for ten or twenty hours or so, but after a while there just didn't seem to be any compelling rewards for developing your character.

It sounds like things have gotten better in this regard. I'll have to fire this up again.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »

I've been meaning to try this and forgetting for years... someone needs to set an alarm for me to download this when I'm home.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2008, 04:21:29 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 13, 2008, 03:50:08 PM

I've been meaning to try this and forgetting for years... someone needs to set an alarm for me to download this when I'm home.

Email yourself a reminder to an account you check at home.  I do that all the time.  icon_cool

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 12, 2008, 04:22:59 PM

Quote from: LordMortis on May 12, 2008, 01:55:38 PM

The difficulty I had with the game before (about two years ago) was its ultimate pointless nature. I loved the combat and played for ten or twenty hours or so, but after a while there just didn't seem to be any compelling rewards for developing your character.

It sounds like things have gotten better in this regard. I'll have to fire this up again.
It was "pointless" for a long time - although the horseback combat for many of us was the point. Getting a character up in strength and skill made him a joy to command in combat; I'd have a skilled, deadly horseman who was nevertheless not invulnerable, not a god, so I'd still have to take care and fight well. I don't recall but getting to that state took more than ten to twenty hours.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »

Yeah.  In all, I think I'd have to say Mount and Blade is right up there with Guild Wars for incredible value for money.  I got a ridiculous amount of play out of the $11 I paid a couple of years ago, and now I've installed it again two years later it's practically a whole new game again.  I am very happy with my purchase.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »

Ok, I played the hell out of this a long time ago and got pretty good.  I tried this new version in earnest last night and I'm very lost.

Where do you buy weapons now?  When I go to trade with a village they just have non-violent goods.

What are the river bandit equivalents now?  My first encounter was with a group of defectors or something that ripped me apart with their crossbows while I still had just my starter dagger and the 3 untrained troops I could afford.

Where do you get starter combat tasks?  I could find delivery tasks well enough but repeatedly traversing the world map wasn't what I had in mind when I bought this game.  Bring me some battles!

Is there a list of broken features floating around?  It's great to see all this new stuff but it's like a little minigame guessing which things I can really click on.  I've encountered a training button that does nothing, 'visit the leader' buttons that take me to some error messages and an empty throne.  I understand it's still in beta but I would've thought they'd have things running smoother than this in the three years since I bought my key.

I want to be able to get back into this but right now it feels like in this last version they grew the game a bit too fast for its britches.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »

You're having some odd errors, Wonderpug. I encountered some when going to the training ground, but they were fixed with .951.

When you start out, you're super weak. The best thing is to start trading (going to the marketplace in cities) and buying what ever is cheap in that city and selling it elsewhere. From that market screen, you can also buy horses, arms, and armor.
The combat is hard at first, mostly because you'll be all alone. You need to start figuring out which bandits you're good at taking out. I'm pretty good at taking out sea raiders, but Forest bandits will tear me up at first because they're all archers and without horsemen, they take my units down with ease. Deserters are usually similarly tough. The easiest bandits are the looters.
The easiest way to start out is by visiting all the cities that are having tournaments and competing in those. You level up fairly quickly that way, and also build up enough of an army (either in taverns or by recruiting in towns) that you can take on whomever you like.

PSN ID: EduardoX
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »

Villages don't have weapons and gear.  You need to goto an actual city for that.  Easy early targets are looters, mountain bandits(some horses possible), deserters(have horses), sea raiders(no horses).  I usually patrol the coast attacking the Sea raiders as they drop good gear.  They can be a bit tough for a level 1.  I'd reccomend building up a 10 person group and killing looters till you gain a level than head to the coast.  I would also soften up the sea raiders before sending in your low level army.  Trading is an almost too simple way to build up large cash reserves as well.  Also, not only is the game still in beta but this was a beta patch of a beta game slywink

morlac00 on PSN
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »

This game has come a long way, haven't played in about a year.  Looks quite interesting now, though I'm just starting out again.  The looters are easy (well I started with a horse & shield/sword & crossbow), killed 12 by myself and sold a bunch of stuff for velvet, sold the velvet and got a good horse.  Arena is kind of fun...I'm not sure where to start finding assignments now though.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2008, 03:05:02 PM »

I guess I'll try reinstalling to see if it fixes the broken buttons, and I'll start looking for some looters and tournaments to level up on.  I hope it's still possible to make a living off the spoils; I never had much interest in the trading aspect.

Villages don't have weapons and gear.  You need to goto an actual city for that.

Is an "actual city" different than a castle?  If so, how are they designated?  Bigger text than villages?

Oh, and is there a siege tutorial or beginner mission somewhere?  That aspect didn't exist the last time I played and I'm curious how they handled it.

Last question: What's the point of exploring a town in the 3d view?  That used to be the way you got to the shops and taverns, but it looks like that stuff's been turned into a text interface now.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2008, 04:38:48 PM »

villages just have basic stuff for trading.

castles have nothing

cities have everything

Arena fights can get you xp and cash at the beginning as well

I don't trade.  I fight.

looters are the wimpiest guys to fight in the open

going to towns in 3d view allow you talk to people in the streets and village elders.  You can get quests in cities from some special towns men and from the village elder in villages.  Occasionally a towns folk might have something interesting to add as well.  But this is so rare that I don't bother.  Also some quests require you to find special towns folk to talk to or kill or whatever.

There is no siege tutorial to my knowledge but the seige is nothing special.  Some sieges appear to still be borked.  frown

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »

I can't for the life of me figure out how this is difficult to grasp but here goes....  slywink

Villages:  small icon on the map and smaller font size,
Cities: large icon on the map and larger font size
Castles:  Actually has the word castle in the name.

Villages sell a few goods and food.
Cities sell everything.
You can't buy anything in a castle.

As far as spoils see my above post about Sea Raiders and dropped gear.  Quick and easy way to outfit yourself and companions. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:27:57 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on May 14, 2008, 01:41:33 PM

You're having some odd errors, Wonderpug. I encountered some when going to the training ground, but they were fixed with .951.

This fixed the problems.  I was using .950 and the "check for new versions" button didn't know about .951.

Things are going much better now but I still wish it was easier to find combat in the early game.  Aside from the arena (which seems much harder than the old red vs. blue fights used to be) I couldn't find anyone to fight besides giant faction armies, Deserters with crossbows, and civilians--not a Looter in sight.

I guess I should put more points in spotting to find some Looters, but right now I really miss the early river pirate hunting they used to have.

I'll happily press on to get to the meat of the game since I know how good it gets, but it really seems like they've given the early game a steep wall of a learning curve.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: