http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:30:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorstorm - The Real PS3 Killer App!  (Read 8341 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 30, 2006, 12:41:16 AM

Otherwise, the cars looked great, the sound/music was nice.  Not much more I can say positive in that respect, it felt like a fairly standard racing game with some spruced up graphics, but not the coming of christ graphics I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it seemed like a pretty cool game, but certainly nothing that I would define as "System Selling".

You thought it sounded good? I forgot to mention that before, but the sound of the turbo in particular seemed grating to me, especially when using the hood cam.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 01:33:07 AM »

Translation: Did you blow almost $1600 on both a PS3 and Wii in their November launches, buy every launch title, and realize that there were maybe two total games worth a spit, and now feel forced to validate your purchase to yourself by identifying every new title that is barely AA as the killer app?

The above is most PS3 owners. I saw this same spin come out about Demolition Derby for PSOne back when it came out. The launch titles all kinda sucked, but when Demo Derby was supposed to come out close to launch, it was "the reason" to buy the system. And when Motorstorm comes out, fizzles out after about 3 days (because its a RACING game), ____________ will be the next "killer app".

The first true killer app for the PS3 will be one of Sony's franchises. Someday.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 01:42:04 AM »

Quote from: Arkon

Sorry, but you will notice I said a few levels, not 10 minutes.  How many tracks are in the Demo?

And it isn't uncommon for my coworkers and I to be the only ones waiting to play a demo unit on a lunch break and get in 40 minutes of play time on things like Guitar Hero II or the PS3.

nod

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2006, 01:44:20 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 30, 2006, 01:33:07 AM

Translation: Did you blow almost $1600 on both a PS3 and Wii in their November launches, buy every launch title, and realize that there were maybe two total games worth a spit, and now feel forced to validate your purchase to yourself by identifying every new title that is barely AA as the killer app?

The above is most PS3 owners. I saw this same spin come out about Demolition Derby for PSOne back when it came out. The launch titles all kinda sucked, but when Demo Derby was supposed to come out close to launch, it was "the reason" to buy the system. And when Motorstorm comes out, fizzles out after about 3 days (because its a RACING game), ____________ will be the next "killer app".

The first true killer app for the PS3 will be one of Sony's franchises. Someday.

Do I take the bait?  No....I've got better things to do. *goes back to Resistance*

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006, 04:17:24 AM »

Do I take the bait?  No....I've got better things to do. *goes back to Resistance*

Im not talking specifically about you, I am talking about everyone who (myself included) bought a PS3, Resistance, probally Genji or the other numerous filler average games and wonders what the hell on the horizon is going to make the PS3 seem worth the price tag. Because Timesplitters 4...errr Resistance is nice, but it aint 600 bucks nice.

But if you like everything to be about you, that works too. If you think Motorstorm is going to vindicate the PS3 as a launch failure, then I have severly underestimated your gaming background, as someone who purchases/plays as many titles as you must have realized long ago that a offroad racing game that has NOTHING original about it, will not rub off the frustrating stench of mediocrity that is the PS3 right now.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 05:03:13 AM »

Im not talking specifically about you, I am talking about everyone who (myself included) bought a PS3, Resistance, probally Genji or the other numerous filler average games and wonders what the hell on the horizon is going to make the PS3 seem worth the price tag. Because Timesplitters 4...errr Resistance is nice, but it aint 600 bucks nice.

Sounds exactly like the PS2 launch... and the 360 launch.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2006, 05:19:02 AM »

I'm still excited about the hardware, but the PS3 is about 9 months to a year away from being worth the asking price, unless you want a blu-ray player.  I think Hetz paid MSRP for his model, and he is enjoying it, so I'm happy for him. Now those poor bastiches that are purchasing it for $1000-$2000....
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2006, 12:06:51 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 30, 2006, 05:19:02 AM

I'm still excited about the hardware, but the PS3 is about 9 months to a year away from being worth the asking price, unless you want a blu-ray player.  I think Hetz paid MSRP for his model, and he is enjoying it, so I'm happy for him. Now those poor bastiches that are purchasing it for $1000-$2000....

Yep, I got mine at EB.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 30, 2006, 04:17:24 AM

But if you like everything to be about you, that works too. If you think Motorstorm is going to vindicate the PS3 as a launch failure, then I have severly underestimated your gaming background, as someone who purchases/plays as many titles as you must have realized long ago that a offroad racing game that has NOTHING original about it, will not rub off the frustrating stench of mediocrity that is the PS3 right now.

I wouldn't call the PS3 launch a failure, especially if you didn't already own a 360.  What makes the PS3 look like a failure to us 360 owners is the fact that nearly all of the launch titles were already out on the 360, some for as long as 6 months.  I didn't buy my PS3 for now, I bought it for March and April when some decent exclusive titles come out. Personally, MLB 07 The Show is the system seller for me.  I have absolutely loved the last two versions on the PS2 and since the 360 hasn't had a decent baseball game yet, The Show is the basket I put all my eggs in.  So I paid the $600 now when I could get one, just in case I couldn't get one in early February or March.  Like the 360 launch, I can deal with the mediocrity for a few months to insure that I have a system when the real games come out.  Oh, and since this thread is about Motorstorm, I think it looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it.  I will be importing the Japanese version from Play Asia, playing that and then picking up the US version in March for multiplayer.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2006, 06:57:31 PM »

Final Build Screens from IGN  eek:

drool

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »

A couple more:

drool drool drool

This and Resistance = PS3 is incredible!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 07:14:57 PM »

Roll Eyes

Resistance is good, I'll grant you that.  This game is pretty, there is no doubt.  Somehow I still doubt we'll see a surge of new purchases here.  I should have the game in my hands soon, so hopefully we can see for ourselves.  (Not that I don't trust IGN and hang on their every word and all...)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
moore
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »

Well, it can't really be claimed as a system selling game when they are still in the launch period of selling every console as soon as it hits a store. It looks nice enough, I dont see anything that the 360 couldnt do in there though. Shame on them for gimping the japanese version, too.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=15401&type=wmv

Now shadap, the game looks nothing spectacular.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on December 01, 2006, 07:53:00 PM

Not that it looks nearly as good as the renders, but that GT segment is jumping the gun since they are only using the demo for their footage and not the final build of the game. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »

As I am sure you know from playing it Hetz, it looks NOTHING like that in motion. NOTHING.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 10:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 01, 2006, 08:14:02 PM

As I am sure you know from playing it Hetz, it looks NOTHING like that in motion. NOTHING.

You've played the final version?

The demo looks worse than the final product. It is many months old and reviewers that have the final build have said it looks incredible. Much better than the demo and the demo looked pretty good.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2006, 10:25:10 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 10:08:32 PM

The demo looks worse than the final product. It is many months old and reviewers that have the final build have said it looks incredible. Much better than the demo and the demo looked pretty good.

You put a lot of faith in these reviewer impressions.  Funny that you ask him if he has played the final version when you yourself hasnt.  But hey anyone insults "your" baby and you freak out.  Just like before Oblivion was released.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2006, 11:00:28 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 01, 2006, 10:25:10 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 10:08:32 PM

You put a lot of faith in these reviewer impressions.  Funny that you ask him if he has played the final version when you yourself hasnt.  But hey anyone insults "your" baby and you freak out.  Just like before Oblivion was released.

He was saying that it looks nothing like that in gameplay. He hasn't played the final version, so how would he know?

In fact, IGN has some 'gameplay' shots up as well from the final build. Well, the ones I posted were from gameplay, but just from a different camera angle. This is from the traditional viewpoints...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2006, 11:02:21 PM »

This is what a guy that works at IGN said about these shots.

Glad you folks enjoyed the shots. FYI these are from the version I have -- and to be clear, 30 or so hours in, this is the same build I have at home right now and yes it looks like this. Better actually in motion on my 40 inch Bravia via HDMI. The SSX style non-linear tracks couples with insane physics result in some truly dramatic, emergent gameplay on a level that you seriously won't have experienced before.

MotorStorm is a truly fantastic looking game, but you have no idea how well it plays. The damn thing is addictive on a level not seen since Mario Kart. I haven't played multplayer online yet (still being implemented) but it really is shaping up to be one of the all time seminal experiences.

Yes, it is the PS3 killer app.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2006, 11:24:31 PM »

Those screenies look like Excite Truck.  Seriously!  Especially that second one...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2006, 11:37:37 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 01, 2006, 11:24:31 PM

Those screenies look like Excite Truck.  Seriously!  Especially that second one...

icon_lol

I'm going to assume that was a joke.

Sorry but THIS:

does not equal THIS:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:39:08 PM by Hetz » Logged

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »

Damn, that video shows what I was saying.. Where are the promised ruts and other shit?  Missing.

Quote from: Hetz
Sure doesn't look like it is.  Racers don't sell systems anyway.  Racers that look 1/10th as good as they were promised to look certainly don't help sell systems either.

PS3=Letdown to me, I so wanted to like it.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2006, 11:39:37 PM »

Joke or not, at least the Wii Remote doesnt cut in and out like the sixaxis does and force you to turn straight into a wall.  Though I'm sure you haven't experienced that problem of course.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 01, 2006, 11:39:37 PM

Joke or not, at least the Wii Remote doesnt cut in and out like the sixaxis does and force you to turn straight into a wall.  Though I'm sure you haven't experienced that problem of course.

I haven't. Though I have had problems with my Wii Remote. Seriously.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2006, 11:42:30 PM »

Of COURSE you have...   Roll Eyes

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2006, 11:43:01 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 01, 2006, 11:39:20 PM

Damn, that video shows what I was saying.. Where are the promised ruts and other shit?  Missing.

Sure doesn't look like it is.  Racers don't sell systems anyway.  Racers that look 1/10th as good as they were promised to look certainly don't help sell systems either.

That video was taken from one track of the demo build.

Where are the ruts? Right here:

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2006, 11:43:14 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 11:41:46 PM

Joke or not, at least the Wii Remote doesnt cut in and out like the sixaxis does and force you to turn straight into a wall.  Though I'm sure you haven't experienced that problem of course.

I figured your PS3 would have zero problems that I have seen reported widely across gaming message boards.  Funny how that works.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2006, 11:43:45 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 11:43:01 PM

Mud with a nice glossy finish.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2006, 11:44:56 PM »

Quote from: depward on December 01, 2006, 11:42:30 PM

I have. They sometimes go out of whack and turn off for no reason. They also sometimes won't even be synced with the Wii at all and no amount of pushing the sync button will help. I have to power off the Wii and turn it back on before it will work.

This doesn't happen often, but it has happened a couple times.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:46:35 PM by Hetz » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2006, 11:46:02 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 01, 2006, 11:43:14 PM

I figured your PS3 would have zero problems that I have seen reported widely across gaming message boards.  Funny how that works.

Yeah, if widely means a couple trolls on various internet gaming forums. Most people have had NO ISSUES at all. Funny how that works.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2006, 11:47:30 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 01, 2006, 11:43:45 PM

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 11:43:01 PM

Mud with a nice glossy finish.

Having ruts being made in it in REAL TIME.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2006, 11:51:25 PM »

The question of the day is..

Is the difference worth $500+Change at this time?

I say no, although I understand why people feel the need to justify their purchase, $600 is a good chunk of bread for a game machine.  That hit is worse to swallow when there really isn't anything earthshattering about it to brag over.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2006, 11:53:34 PM »

Those ruts look like the lips of a 13 year old girl with all of that GLOSS.

Shiny mud!

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2006, 11:54:09 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 11:44:56 PM

Quote from: depward on December 01, 2006, 11:42:30 PM

I have. They sometimes go out of whack and turn off for no reason. They also sometimes won't even be synced with the Wii at all and no amount of pushing the sync button will help. I have to power off the Wii and turn it back on before it will work.

This doesn't happen often, but it has happened a couple times.

I've not had any problem with either of them.  *shrug*  And yes...those are some shiny real time ruts. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 01, 2006, 11:46:02 PM

Quote from: GatorFavre on December 01, 2006, 11:43:14 PM

I figured your PS3 would have zero problems that I have seen reported widely across gaming message boards.  Funny how that works.

Yeah, if widely means a couple trolls on various internet gaming forums. Most people have had NO ISSUES at all. Funny how that works.

Oh yeah, those pesky trolls writing reviews over at 1up:
Quote from: 1up
Something that probably has more to do with the Sixaxis controller than Namco's game is the occasional crapping out of the wireless signal. On more than one occasion, we were racing along only to drive into the wall on a straightaway as if bumped from behind, even though no cars were behind us. Restarting the game didn't really help as the same thing happened again.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2006, 12:01:50 AM »

Those ruts look like chocolate cake. Mmmmm..... chocolate cake.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »

I'm still having trouble understanding why the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 bickering is necessary, or even applicable.  Ultimately, who cares which is "better?"  The conversations I've noticed involving the PS3 and 360 seem more like PS3 owners attempting to validate their purchase and non-PS3 owners coming to terms with not being able to get one.  I'm always left wondering, "What different does it make?"  Is this game the PS3's killer app?  I have no F-ing idea.  But it looks rather pretty.  Do I care to sink into yet another debate over which console is quote-unquote better to validate my ownership of a 360 and inability to purchase a PS3 at the moment?  What would be the point? 

Hetz has one and is happy with his purchase.  Others do not, but are content with their 360's. 

Back to your scheduled bickering. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2006, 12:18:20 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 01, 2006, 11:51:25 PM

The question of the day is..

Is the difference worth $500+Change at this time?

I say no, although I understand why people feel the need to justify their purchase, $600 is a good chunk of bread for a game machine.  That hit is worse to swallow when there really isn't anything earthshattering about it to brag over.

What's game is that 2nd one?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2006, 12:29:23 AM »

Yeah what game is it, because it looks better than motorstorm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: