http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:21:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorstorm - The Real PS3 Killer App!  (Read 8202 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2006, 07:14:54 PM »

A new massive preview of the near final build of Motorstorm! It's out next week!!  :icon_eek:

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200611/101_p1.asp

If there's one game that really shows off the POTENTIAL of the PS3 beyond 360 right NOW, this is it.

Forget MGS or Final Fantasy. MotorStorm is the PS3's first killer app.

Yes, it's that good.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 07:14:54 PM

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:08 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 27, 2006, 07:16:24 PM

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

retard

Yes, I did. I downloaded the demo. Nice try though.

Have you played it?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:51 PM »

A "killer app" is a game that'll heavily persuade me to purchase that console and Motorstorm is just another racer with pretty graphics and neat mud physics.

Page me when MGS4 has got a release date, then let's talk killer app's...

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 07:23:45 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 07:20:08 PM

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

retard

Have you played it?

I meant the near final build that the preview site has.  Also, I havent heard anyone else say it is as good as MGS, FF or any other killer apps.  Also, I tried to play the demo unit at Best Buy but the game froze up before I could get to the race.  So I guess I cant personally say it isnt as good as those other games, but time will tell. 

Edit:  I will say that site makes the game sound very impressive and I would love to give it a try when it comes out.  I dont see it being the reason for me to get a PS3 though. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:27:12 PM by GatorFavre » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »

Hehe, not many times do you hear a racing game called a killer app, I wonder how much Motorsport can possibly be beyond other racing experiences out there?

On second thought, I suppose it's all relative. The PS3 library must be looking grim at the moment.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:39:57 PM »

On second thought, I suppose it's all relative. The PS3 library must be looking grim at the moment.

Yeah, really grim, Mr. "Resistance looks like a Xbox or PS2 game".  Roll Eyes

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »

Yeah, really grim, Mr. "Resistance looks like a Xbox or PS2 game".

Fine... I really really souped up Xbox/PS2 game. Is that better?  Roll Eyes

Sean Lama
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 27, 2006, 07:30:08 PM

Hehe, not many times do you hear a racing game called a killer app, I wonder how much Motorsport can possibly be beyond other racing experiences out there?

Gran Turismo 3 sold A TON of PS2s. I'd say a racing game is much more likely to be a killer app than a title like Final Fantasy or MGS4.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »

Yeah, the GT3 bundle is what finally spurred me to pick up a PS2. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

Gran Turismo 3 sold A TON of PS2s. I'd say a racing game is much more likely to be a killer app than a title like Final Fantasy or MGS4.

Now I'm getting confused with the definition of a killer app. Is a killer app a game that helps boost sales of a system, or a game considered worth buying the console solely for that game?

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:58:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 27, 2006, 07:48:08 PM

Now I'm getting confused with the definition of a killer app. Is a killer app a game that helps boost sales of a system, or a game considered worth buying the console solely for that game?

Pretty much the same thing to me.  Killer apps are always different for everybody (I'm sure there is someone who decided to pick up a PS2 for Disgaea) obviously.  I don't think anybody buys a console *just* for one game.  It's usually either the library accumulates to the point where it's already worthwhile and the next big game is enough to form a tipping point, or you buy it for one title *now* but assume there will be more down the road too.  As much as Halo is a killer app, I don't think many people would be satisfied with their Xbox if they never played another single game on it. 

For me, there really wasn't anything on PS2 before GT3 that made it worth buying a PS2, though once I already owned it I picked up games like SSX and Twisted Metal Black.  But it took GT3 being out to great reviews to convince me to fork over the $300+ right then, along with the knowledge that a lot more games were to come out soon after (in that case Silent Hill 2, MGS2, Jak and Daxter, FFX). 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:58:25 PM »

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

retard

Have you played it?

Wouldn't that mean you are making a judgement on a game based off the same amount of "play time" as one would get at a demo station in a best buy or EB?  So it isn't ok to judge a game like Resistance based on a few levels, but it is OK to declare a game a killer app based on the same limited play time?  Interesting.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 08:05:57 PM »

Wouldn't that mean you are making a judgement on a game based off the same amount of "play time" as one would get at a demo station in a best buy or EB?  So it isn't ok to judge a game like Resistance based on a few levels, but it is OK to declare a game a killer app based on the same limited play time?  Interesting.
LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, the GT3 bundle is what finally spurred me to pick up a PS2.
Gran Turismo isn't just another racer though, its probably THE racer you can get, and not just another arcade racer.  I imagine that very few racing games sell consoles at all, beyond Gran Turismo.  What other racer is exclusive, and a huge franchise like Gran Turismo?  None that I can think of.  Forza 2 may be great, and may sell some 360s, but the next Gran Turismo, if great, could do very well (I could see buying the PS3 for that).  Personally, I'm excited about Forza 2 and the Wireless wheel.  By the time Gran Turismo for the PS3 comes out, the PS3 will probably be cheap at $400.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 08:08:10 PM »

noo toy am shiney  retard

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 08:12:53 PM »

Motorstorm does look pretty nice.  Not nice enough to get me to buy a PS3, but nice.  I'm not a big racing game guy but I think Forza 2 looks more impressive than Motorstorm.

To me a killer app is a game that will make me buy a certain console just to play it.  A game is going to have to be very "killer" to get me to fork over $600 for a PS3 though.  More likely it will take about 3-4 "killer apps" unless there is a price drop.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:14:44 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 27, 2006, 07:58:25 PM

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

retard

Have you played it?

Wouldn't that mean you are making a judgement on a game based off the same amount of "play time" as one would get at a demo station in a best buy or EB?  So it isn't ok to judge a game like Resistance based on a few levels, but it is OK to declare a game a killer app based on the same limited play time?  Interesting.

No, I have played many hours of Motorstorm at my house. I don't have to play it in 10 minute spurts at Best Buy. Come on, think about stuff before you post.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:26:06 PM »

I didn't find the demo all that impressive. But then again, I'm not a big racing fan. I'm waiting for a new Dragon Quest or Disgaea or God of War.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 08:27:22 PM »

Hetz, is the downloadable demo different from the one in the kiosks?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 08:29:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 27, 2006, 08:27:22 PM

Hetz, is the downloadable demo different from the one in the kiosks?

I'm told it's from a later build of the game....but it is the same track.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »

Color me unimpressed. The PS3 launch gave us crappy titles like Genji, Gundam and Untold Legends, some Xbox 360 ports, and 1 very solid game in Resistance. I understand the need for people who spent $700 to rationalize to themselves and others why they purchased the system, but the PS3 is just not worth the price of admission for most gamers now. Next Christmas will definitely be different, but by then the Wii should have a string of great titles out, and the 360 will have released Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Forza 2, Too Human, Alan Wake, Lost Planet, Blue Dragon, etc.

I spent more time with the PS3 this weekend, and although I can see its potential, I don't shell out $700 on potential. I'll wait for a price drop and for the first set of hardware bugs to be squashed. The PS3 is the obvious 3rd place console for the next several months. Ironically, I tend to favor Sony over Nintendo, and I was convinced the PS3 would be more impressive than the Wii out the gate. I stand corrected on that one.

I'm also amused to see on forums how MS is suddenly in trouble just because Sony puts out a game of similar graphic quality to titles on the 360. And yet the Wii gets a total pass.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:54:41 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 08:24:16 PM

Quote from: Arkon on November 27, 2006, 07:58:25 PM

Yes, it's that good.

You've played it?

retard

Have you played it?

No, I have played many hours of Motorstorm at my house. I don't have to play it in 10 minute spurts at Best Buy. Come on, think about stuff before you post.

Sorry, but you will notice I said a few levels, not 10 minutes.  How many tracks are in the Demo?

And it isn't uncommon for my coworkers and I to be the only ones waiting to play a demo unit on a lunch break and get in 40 minutes of play time on things like Guitar Hero II or the PS3.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »

Man, Hetz, you are some lightning rod for the haters.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »

Man, Hetz, you are some lightning rod for the haters.

Hetz just lets it all hang out there, man. Livin' the dream.

I respect that he is passionate about what he loves. I wish I could have said the same thing about my ex-girlfriend. Too bad she had to have that...accident.  eek
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 08:59:50 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 09:19:42 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on November 27, 2006, 07:44:30 PM

Not so sure about that. How many Playstations did Final Fantasy VII sell?

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 09:52:58 PM »

I've heard negative things about Motorstorm gameplay from people who have played the demo.  Most said it's very pretty but way, way too easy to crash, and that you spend more time watching slow-motion death crashes than you do playing the game.  Also heard framerate complaints - drops below 30 often.  Heard it from several different people who have played the demo, but I have not played it myself.  I think it will be an ok racer but I doubt it will be a real killer app.  Not to worry though as MGS4 and FF13 are probably guaranteed to be huge killer apps for the system.  One or the other will probably be the killer app for me, at least.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:07:15 PM by kathode » Logged
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »

Christ, this thread... I'm pretty sure I lost some IQ points reading through it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what Motorstorm is all about. I know I was impressed at least visually after checking out some of the released trailers, so it'll be good to see, if the gameplay is there to match it. Thanks for the heads up, Hetz.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 10:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 27, 2006, 08:26:06 PM

I didn't find the demo all that impressive. But then again, I'm not a big racing fan. I'm waiting for a new Dragon Quest or Disgaea or God of War.

God of War 2 will be on the old PS2 and that is my main reason for keeping that little jewel. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 10:55:34 PM »

Oh, and I did play the demo of Motorstorm and while I found it quite fun and dang good looking I could see me getting tired of it quick.  To me it was just another racer with  awesome graphics and nice damage modeling.  I would not buy a PS3 because of it if the PS3 were $299.  But that's me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 11:05:20 PM »

The killer ap on the PS3 for me was it's inability to scale to 1080i.  That "killed" any desire to have one in the near run.  Also I'm not sure you can have a "killer ap" when the console is in such short supply and each one is snapped up as soon as it's available.  Why bother releasing a great game to spur sales of consoles when there are no consoles to sell?  That being said I hope Motorstorm is a good title for those lucky enough to own the PS3 and perhaps if I have an "accident" with my Wii remote and toss it through the screen of my older HDTV I can get a TV that would work well with the PS3.
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 01:32:42 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on November 27, 2006, 08:37:33 PM

I'm also amused to see on forums how MS is suddenly in trouble just because Sony puts out a game of similar graphic quality to titles on the 360. And yet the Wii gets a total pass.

The many members of the SDF won't sleep at night until some game, any game, on the PS3 has prettier graphics than what the best 360 games have to offer.

They have to know that teh cell/rsx is 3x more powerful...............
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 02:13:30 AM »

I thought NHL 2K7 was the PS3's killer app?  :icon_confused:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 02:53:20 AM »

Also heard framerate complaints - drops below 30 often.

Not a surprise, this system really should have came out a year later. If not to let Sony build up a decent supply of their product, at least to give developers the extra time needed to gain experience developing on the PS3 dev kits. I really don't see what would have been so bad for Sony to release the PS3 mid-late 2007 in the U.S, it's not like Sony has any units to sell us here and they ended up embarrasing themselves with a lackluster launch.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope Motorstorm turns out to be a good game, it's one of the few I was looking forward to.

I thought NHL 2K7 was the PS3's killer app?

I thought it was Blast Factor because it actually has a smooth frame rate.

Sean Lama
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 02:59:15 AM »

You guys are all crazy, I'm shelling out my $600 for FANTAVISION 2!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 03:20:28 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on November 28, 2006, 02:53:20 AM

Not a surprise, this system really should have came out a year later. If not to let Sony build up a decent supply of their product, at least to give developers the extra time needed to gain experience developing on the PS3 dev kits. I really don't see what would have been so bad for Sony to release the PS3 mid-late 2007 in the U.S, it's not like Sony has any units to sell us here and they ended up embarrasing themselves with a lackluster launch.

The link that Hetz referenced specifically mentioned that the framerate issues seem to be ironed out.  Here's hoping since few genres are as hurt by framerate glitches as racing games.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »

Not a surprise, this system really should have came out a year later.

Apparently the first-gen PS3's will have slower chips than the second-gen ones.  I am sure the Frame issue will be solved then.  Heh

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 04:48:20 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 28, 2006, 03:36:37 AM

Not a surprise, this system really should have came out a year later.

Apparently the first-gen PS3's will have slower chips than the second-gen ones.  I am sure the Frame issue will be solved then.  Heh

You are still buying that rumor?  Is there an HD-DVD drive in the PS3 too?

Edit:  Oops, just saw the "heh" so I'm guessing this is sarcasm.  My bad.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 04:50:44 AM by GatorFavre » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 01:09:11 PM »

The demo on the kiosks certainly doesn't impress. Looks ok graphically, but two poor camera choices, lack of visual cues as to where you are supposed to drive, not much sense of speed...I had hoped for more. Controls seemed decent enough.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »

With all the great Wii/360 action around... I am still not getting it up for a PS3. I WILL own one, but there still seems no great rush to.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 12:41:16 AM »

I played the motorstorm demo for a considerable (for a kiosk) amount of time tonight.. Color me unimpressed..  Where are those deep "Ruts" they made such a big thing about a few months ago?  All I saw was some painted on texture trails on the dirt, nothing that looked remotely realistic.  Some strikes I noticed after several runs;

1) Lack of camera choices.
2) Lack of visual cues on direction. (as Misguided noted, but it did sour my taste)
3) Fairly lackluster sense of "Speed".
4) On-Rails tracks, with little to no diversionary routes.
5) Fairly average looking ground textures.
6) Unrealistic dirt splatters (looked like big blogs of atari pixels)

Otherwise, the cars looked great, the sound/music was nice.  Not much more I can say positive in that respect, it felt like a fairly standard racing game with some spruced up graphics, but not the coming of christ graphics I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it seemed like a pretty cool game, but certainly nothing that I would define as "System Selling".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:42:57 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: