http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MotorStorm delayed until Spring  (Read 1298 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:36:15 PM »

http://www.psu.com/node/7113

Let's hope they can clean up the framerate issues I've encountered while playing the demo kiosk and add some glorious online functionality.  Next gen should not equal 30 fps.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »

If they need an extra month to get the online going well, then go for it.

Oh and the retail version of the game is already better than the Demo was in terms of framerate.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »

Sounds like they downgraded the graphics from the E3 demo to smooth out the framerate:

Strategy Informer Preview

Also sounds like the game's running into other problems.

Something else with using the SIXAXIS was that it occasionally hiccupped. Driving straight until suddenly turning in a random direction without having turned. Recovering is nearly impossible too, so expect to crash. This same problem occurred several times playing the Wii, and was easily corrected by readjusting the sensitivity. Which, of course, is not possible here.

This is not the type of game that can be expected to sell well. It simply is not that fun, and has so many flaws that itís difficult to even take the game seriously. On top of that, the graphics, which have been downgraded since E3,  are nothing special. Whatever happened to that spectacular demo at E3 didnít come back as anything worthwhile.

The preview has much more; those are just a couple highlights. Their main complaints about what takes away from the fun are actually explained pretty well, rather than just saying "I don't like it" or "it's crap". It's worth a read if you're curious.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 19, 2007, 05:44:29 PM

Sounds like they downgraded the graphics from the E3 demo to smooth out the framerate:

Something else with using the SIXAXIS was that it occasionally hiccupped. Driving straight until suddenly turning in a random direction without having turned. Recovering is nearly impossible too, so expect to crash. This same problem occurred several times playing the Wii, and was easily corrected by readjusting the sensitivity. Which, of course, is not possible here.

This is not the type of game that can be expected to sell well. It simply is not that fun, and has so many flaws that itís difficult to even take the game seriously. On top of that, the graphics, which have been downgraded since E3,  are nothing special. Whatever happened to that spectacular demo at E3 didnít come back as anything worthwhile.

The preview has much more; those are just a couple highlights. Their main complaints about what takes away from the fun are actually explained pretty well, rather than just saying "I don't like it" or "it's crap". It's worth a read if you're curious.

Um that kinda sucks frown
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »

Hopefully the issues they're getting into are addressed; at its core design, MotorStorm could be an awesome fun arcade-style racing game. I love all kinds of racing games. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »

Oh well.  FORMULA ONE BABY.

gellar
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 09:04:40 PM »

I'm glad a Motorstorm thread was created - I just wanted to say that I played the demo and was entirely unimpressed the other day.  Just saying.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »

It simply is not that fun, and has so many flaws that itís difficult to even take the game seriously. On top of that, the graphics, which have been downgraded since E3,  are nothing special. Whatever happened to that spectacular demo at E3 didnít come back as anything worthwhile.

icon_eek  So no PS3 holy grail I assume?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 12:25:13 AM »

Isnt Gears of War 30fps?  FPS doesnt really matter to me, but I also dont have high hopes for Motorstorm.  I've played the downloadable demo well over 20 times and each time I leave it with an empty feeling.  Who knows, maybe the retail version will be better.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 19, 2007, 05:44:29 PM

I dislike the sixaxis controller. I play the PS3 at my friend's home regularly and the sixaxis will sometimes freak out or show a slightly sluggish response time. It does not happen often, but when it does it is extremely irritating. After using Nintendo and MS wireless controllers, I think Sony needs to go through at least one more revision to get it right.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 12:33:18 AM »

I want Motorstorm to be at least halfway decent so it can be one of the $15 used games I pick up when I finally purchase a PS3 in a year or two. I'd love to have at least a dozen good, cheap games available by then.

That way, even if I'm paying $500 or more for the system, at least I'll be able to get a bunch of good games on the cheap to help defray the feeling of getting my wallet ass-raped by Sony. (Yes, my wallet has an ass. Yours doesn't?) Thats why I want the PS3 to start seeing some good B+, A- games. (But no triple-A killer app games yet, please. I don't want to be tempted.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:44:19 AM by rrmorton » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 05:21:08 AM »

In a racing game, FPS matters.  Big time.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 06:23:30 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 05:21:08 AM

While I wish we got more 60 fps games all around, 30 fps racers are quite common (Forza, PGR series, NFS) so I'm not sure it's fair to single out Motorstorm for it. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 07:25:36 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 20, 2007, 06:23:30 AM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 05:21:08 AM

While I wish we got more 60 fps games all around, 30 fps racers are quite common (Forza, PGR series, NFS) so I'm not sure it's fair to single out Motorstorm for it. 

Are you sure MW was 30 Kevin? Carbon I believe, but MW did not look like it was 30. And if Burnout Revenge 360 was 30 I will be shocked, that game is blazingly fast.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 07:43:01 AM »

Pretty sure NFS:MW was 30 fps but it was definitely more stable in framerate than Carbon.

Burnout is 60 fps (and part of what makes it awesome) but that series, along with Gran Turismo, really are the exceptions on framerates for racing games.  I think I've read that they are shooting for 60 fps with Forza 2 but I'm not positive on that. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 08:17:08 AM »

One thing to remember guys is that the Wiimote also freaks out like this, I've had it happen to me on quite a few occasions.

But, I found the reason.  Our cell phones and wireless home phones, or any wireless peripheral. 

That's right, they do interfere with each other.  I was having so many problems with my Wii when I rented Red Steel and Excite Truck that I thought my system was defective.  Then I let my friend play and it worked fine for him, that's when my phone rang and it hit me.  So, I moved my cell phone away from the system and voila, problem solved.  My friend has an even more powerful phone and the wiimote just goes wacky in games that use the tilt and pointer extensively when he has that anywhere near the system or remote.

Likewise, there's examples of the SIXAXIS controller working flawlessly.  I suspect they should try plugging in the controller via USB and using the wired connection to see if that'll fix it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 20, 2007, 07:43:01 AM

Pretty sure NFS:MW was 30 fps but it was definitely more stable in framerate than Carbon.

Burnout is 60 fps (and part of what makes it awesome) but that series, along with Gran Turismo, really are the exceptions on framerates for racing games.  I think I've read that they are shooting for 60 fps with Forza 2 but I'm not positive on that. 

That makes sense-although Most Wanted very much looked like 60-they did a great job hiding it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 08:35:56 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 20, 2007, 08:17:08 AM

One thing to remember guys is that the Wiimote also freaks out like this, I've had it happen to me on quite a few occasions.

But, I found the reason.  Our cell phones and wireless home phones, or any wireless peripheral. 

That's right, they do interfere with each other.  I was having so many problems with my Wii when I rented Red Steel and Excite Truck that I thought my system was defective.  Then I let my friend play and it worked fine for him, that's when my phone rang and it hit me.  So, I moved my cell phone away from the system and voila, problem solved.  My friend has an even more powerful phone and the wiimote just goes wacky in games that use the tilt and pointer extensively when he has that anywhere near the system or remote.

Likewise, there's examples of the SIXAXIS controller working flawlessly.  I suspect they should try plugging in the controller via USB and using the wired connection to see if that'll fix it.

Well thats a pretty enormous design issue that they had insisted they had worked out (if I remember those rumors swirling shortly before release)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »

I'm not really talking 60 v 30, because 30 fps looks fine for a racer.

I was getting severe dips in Motorstorm.  That's unacceptable for a racing game.  Well, unacceptable for ME, don't know about anyone else.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 10:05:25 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 20, 2007, 09:54:29 AM

I was getting severe dips in Motorstorm.  That's unacceptable for a racing game.  Well, unacceptable for ME, don't know about anyone else.

Well yeah, but you were also playing a months' old demo and most demos are characterized by poor framerates when compared to the final product.  Most of what I've heard about the Japanese retail release pointed to a much more stable framerate and they've had several more months to further iron things out for the US release.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 20, 2007, 10:05:25 AM

Well yeah, but you were also playing a months' old demo and most demos are characterized by poor framerates when compared to the final product.  Most of what I've heard about the Japanese retail release pointed to a much more stable framerate and they've had several more months to further iron things out for the US release.

Kevin if this is true, and I presume it is, what is the reason behind the rather significant feature cuts we are hearing about regarding Motorstorm's US release that you have heard or read about? It sounds like they are cutting graphical bells and whistles, still struggling to tack on multiplayer, etc.

And what in the world are you doing up at 5am man? smile
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:33:35 AM by Calvin » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 10:46:39 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 20, 2007, 10:30:25 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 20, 2007, 10:05:25 AM

Kevin if this is true, and I presume it is, what is the reason behind the rather significant feature cuts we are hearing about regarding Motorstorm's US release that you have heard or read about? It sounds like they are cutting graphical bells and whistles, still struggling to tack on multiplayer, etc.

And what in the world are you doing up at 5am man? smile

The only reference I've seen wrt to cutting graphical bells and whistles referred to the E3 demo and there have been lots of iterations since then and every iteration has boasted better framerates.  I haven't heard of any actual feature cuts other than the fact that it was released completely bare bones in Japan but that's an entirely different market (and one that cares zilch about online) so the rest of this stuff just sounds like they are delaying the game as needed to get everything expected in our market implemented.  But slight delays are par for the course in almost every title so nothing special about that.

But I"m also not really following it a whole lot either.  Maybe Hetz or someone else who has played the Japanese version and knows what specifically is planned for the US version can comment a bit.  All of the comments I've read about the Japanese version are that the core gameplay (controls, tracks, handling, graphics) are really good but the "wrapper" around the game needed to be fleshed out which is what I would expect them to be implementing in the four-five months in between releases. 
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »

I've played the demo quite a bit and it was acceptable to me. I enjoyed it quite a bit as did my son. Maybe, I'm easy to please. I also probably went into it with lower expectations than most. I hadn't read anything about it before trying the demo.  Right now, I'd buy it when released. Formula One should be good at holding me over until then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: