http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:14:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most underrated 360 game in your opinion  (Read 5347 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »

Another nod for Bladestorm. Pretty cool if you like Koei games but want something a bit different.

Quote from: Dreamshadow on February 04, 2009, 12:48:54 AM

Quote from: marcusjm on February 04, 2009, 12:24:34 AM

It seems sword bashing type games usually gets low scores. Which of the current
ones works best? I was thinking 99 nights perhaps but Bladestorm looks pretty cool.

Bladestorm is excellent.  I really liked the setting (though turn off the voice acting..unless you want a good laugh).  The different unit types and the skills really made the combat fun, and it also made you consider which unit you were commanding, what friendlies were going to go with you, and what the opponent had.    It looks like a Dynasty Warriors title...but it doesn't play like one.  You cannot just charge in all the time and expect to win.

Granted, I did have some really nice moments on the bridge where my sword and shield unit held off three armies.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 01:33:36 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the obvious one:

Bullet Witch!

Awesome game.  Awesome heroine!  nod  Still waiting for a sequel.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on February 04, 2009, 01:33:36 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the obvious one:

Bullet Witch!

Awesome game.  Awesome heroine!  nod  Still waiting for a sequel.

icon_biggrin We didn't want to take the privilege away from you, Shifty!

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 04, 2009, 02:17:49 AM

Crackdown is a shitty, horrible game.

shitty horrible = gay
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:10:05 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »

I'll keep my opinions on Enchanted Arms to myself this time.   icon_razz

This thread reminds me that I need to eventually get around to playing Blue Dragon.  It was actually one of the main reasons I even bought a 360 in the first place, but then I got scared off by the horrid demo and mediocre reviews and couldn't justify the $60 price tag.   Now that it can be had for relatively cheap, I need to see if I have anything I can trade for it.  I've been in the mood for an old-school-ish JRPG the last little while, and BD might just fit the bill nicely. 

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »

The Godfather by a mile. I adore that game and bought it for the 360 and the PS3. Looks like I'll have to go hunt down a copy of Stuntman I loved the original one but never got around to trying the new one. Sounds like it should be pretty cheap at this point.  thumbsup
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 03:02:12 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 04, 2009, 02:12:38 PM

I'll keep my opinions on Enchanted Arms to myself this time.   icon_razz

This thread reminds me that I need to eventually get around to playing Blue Dragon.  It was actually one of the main reasons I even bought a 360 in the first place, but then I got scared off by the horrid demo and mediocre reviews and couldn't justify the $60 price tag.   Now that it can be had for relatively cheap, I need to see if I have anything I can trade for it.  I've been in the mood for an old-school-ish JRPG the last little while, and BD might just fit the bill nicely. 

Tales of Vesperia would fit the bill better slywink.

I didn't mind Blue Dragon, but I found it to be fairly boring and the boss music was HORRID.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »

I'd say Viva Pinata (both releases) and Crackdown are the most underrated titles on the 360. Viva Pinata was a brilliant, original title, and I still consider it the #1 game on the 360. The sequel is everything good about the first and then some (I consider it Viva Pinata 1.5).

Crackdown has been quite elaborated upon already in this thread. smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 03:10:11 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on February 04, 2009, 03:02:12 PM

Gratch played and reviewed Vesperia for GT. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:10:11 PM

Yup.   nod  ToV was really a fantastic game.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 04, 2009, 03:11:33 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:10:11 PM

Yup.   nod  ToV was really a fantastic game.

Ah. Well, there you go.

biggrin
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »

So is Last Remnant really the only JRPG on the 360 that is not underrated?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 04, 2009, 03:37:23 AM

Have you played Crackdown lately? 

It feels archaic controls-wise, you can't go two steps without being shot at, and the "story" is nonexistent.

Haze had co-op, too, and that didn't make it a good game.

This is one of the most bizarre, out of touch opinions I've ever seen posted in a gaming forum. It's still correct though, because there are no wrong opinions ... but if there ever were to be wrong opinions, this one would need urgent attention in being marked wrong.

Crackdown is a ridiculously fun game. It's in my top five 360 games.

For those that listed Rockstar's Table Tennis, were you referring to multiplayer, or is there some kind of a single player game there as well?

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 03:39:50 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 04, 2009, 03:04:16 PM

Viva Pinata was a brilliant, original title, and I still consider it the #1 game on the 360. The sequel is everything good about the first and then some (I consider it Viva Pinata 1.5).

Yeah, I'm really surprised Viva Pinata isn't a bigger franchise than it is.  Both the original and the pseudo-sequel are beautiful games,  great sims and manage to be cute without being stupid.  

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »

I didn't like the game because the goddamned animals wouldn't listen to me.

Perhaps Viva Pinata 3 needs the EndWar voicecomm.

"Horstatio" "eat" "Candary" "at" "Checkpoint" "Tango" Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on February 04, 2009, 03:39:50 PM

Quote from: Farscry on February 04, 2009, 03:04:16 PM

Viva Pinata was a brilliant, original title, and I still consider it the #1 game on the 360. The sequel is everything good about the first and then some (I consider it Viva Pinata 1.5).

Yeah, I'm really surprised Viva Pinata isn't a bigger franchise than it is.  Both the original and the pseudo-sequel are beautiful games,  great sims and manage to be cute without being stupid.  

If it was on the Wii it would have sold a bazillion copies.  VP flopped on the 360 because the core 360 audience cares a lot more about shooters and racing games than games like VP.  I guess the same could be said for many of the JRPGs listed in this thread.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 04, 2009, 03:34:27 PM

So is Last Remnant really the only JRPG on the 360 that is not underrated?

Actually you'll find quite a few people out there who think TLR is quite underrated, though perhaps not many on GT because very few actually played the game.  

It does bring up an interesting point though- while I don't think the "current generation" JRPGs have been nearly up to the standards of last gen, I think the JRPG reviewing system for most sites is fundamentally broken.  With a couple of very rare exceptions, if it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title then it gets a review between 6-8.  But there is very little distinction nor consistency  in that range so it makes mainstream JRPG review sites absolutely useless for a  JRPG fan to use.  So word of mouth becomes a more useful tool but there is a bit of a catch- since the games didn't review well, relatively few people are willing to act as the guinea pig and test the waters.  

Tales of Vesperia, which has excellent forum word of mouth from JRPG fans, has an overall metacritic score of 81.  Meanwhile, Blue Dragon, whose word of mouth is relatively poor, has a metacritic score a mere two points lower of 79 (along with Eternal Sonata which also had very mixed reception).  Lost Odyssey, which garnered generally more positive reception than any current gen RPG than Vesperia, is actually even lower at 78.  
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 04, 2009, 03:44:05 PM

If it was on the Wii it would have sold a bazillion copies.  VP flopped on the 360 because the core 360 audience cares a lot more about shooters and racing games than games like VP.  I guess the same could be said for many of the JRPGs listed in this thread.

While I personally haven't played VP, my general impression is that the game had a bit of an identity crisis.  The marketing (including a Saturday morning cartoon) seemed to be targeting the game at families, if not specifically toward children.  But most gameplay descriptions had it as a relatively deep and complex game that was probably more suitable and appealing to adults.  So you ended up with this very minimal overlap of audiences who enjoyed both the gameplay and the visual presentation. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:58:22 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on February 04, 2009, 03:44:05 PM

While I personally haven't played VP, my general impression is that the game had a bit of an identity crisis.  The marketing (including a Saturday morning cartoon) seemed to be targeting the game at families, if not specifically toward children.  But most gameplay descriptions had it as a relatively deep and complex game that was probably more suitable and appealing to adults.  So you ended up with this very minimal overlap of audiences who enjoyed both the gameplay and the visual presentation. 

I played it for a few hours guessing that it would amuse my two year old, which it did, but I don't see anything deep and complex. I mostly see boring. Maybe if I read gamefaqs on it, I could see the depth, but what I see is waiting around for animals to show up and then enabling and telling them to hook up.

I found Animal Crossing to be slightly more interesting but still boring after a few hours. VP certainly looked much prettier, but still I don't get the depth.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 04, 2009, 03:35:16 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 04, 2009, 03:37:23 AM

Have you played Crackdown lately? 

It feels archaic controls-wise, you can't go two steps without being shot at, and the "story" is nonexistent.

Haze had co-op, too, and that didn't make it a good game.

This is one of the most bizarre, out of touch opinions I've ever seen posted in a gaming forum. It's still correct though, because there are no wrong opinions ... but if there ever were to be wrong opinions, this one would need urgent attention in being marked wrong.

Crackdown is a ridiculously fun game. It's in my top five 360 games.

For those that listed Rockstar's Table Tennis, were you referring to multiplayer, or is there some kind of a single player game there as well?

I played about 20 hours of "single player" Table Tennis; it basically comes down to just playing against the computer AI in tournament fashion.  The AI, especially on the hardest difficulty level, really makes it feel like you're battling against a very, very competent opponent.

And while it's obvious that people loved Crackdown, I'm not a sandbox guy in the first place.  And I don't like to be rushed/constantly under fire in sandbox games.  So if you combine the two, Crackdown is the opposite of the kind of game I would enjoy.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 04:36:36 PM »

Spectral Force 3

The major sin of this game is how back-loaded the content is.  Once you get about 7 hours in and it starts to open up, Spectral Force 3 becomes a very solid SJRPG.  With a roster of 40 characters to recruit, tons of equipment, and an interesting battle system, this game sucked up about 80 hours of my time.  Despite its poor graphic quality, it was well worth the $29.99 I paid.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »

Quote from: Vikki on February 04, 2009, 04:36:36 PM

Spectral Force 3

The major sin of this game is how back-loaded the content is.  Once you get about 7 hours in and it starts to open up, Spectral Force 3 becomes a very solid SJRPG.  With a roster of 40 characters to recruit, tons of equipment, and an interesting battle system, this game sucked up about 80 hours of my time.  Despite its poor graphic quality, it was well worth the $29.99 I paid.

icon_eek

With all due respect, I could not possibly disagree more.  I did the GT review for that turd, and would strongly consider SF3 to be the worst game I have played in the last 10 years.  It jumped right on past what we normally consider "bad", and landed in the rarefied air of "spectacularly and utterly terrible".  I can't think of a single redeeming factor in SF3, and Atlus should have been embarrassed charging $60 for that pile of steaming shovelware crap.

Not that I have strong feelings on it or anything...  smile

depward

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »

Table Tennis's single player was actually quite fun.  Tournament style play.  Each player deployed different stategies.

I think the majority of people played a game versus Jasper as the A.I., whined how "he was sooo cheap!11!!1", and put the game away when all you needed to do was think about it for a moment and abuse his backhand / use drop shots.

The multiplayer, both online and offline, was really well done as well.  It was a blast when friends came over.

I'll also throw my hat in the ring saying that Crackdown was a terrible game.  Played some single player and some co-op and thought it was horribly boring.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »

OH, I got one:

Test Drive Unlimited

I loved this game.  Maybe I'll grab it again and finally do that race ALL THE WAY AROUND the island...

TheMissingLink on PSN
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »

I'll give my vote to The Bourne Conspiracy.

When I played the demo I was really turned off by the timed button-press sequences.  I just couldn't seem to get the hang of them.  But then Knightshade passed on a full copy and I gave the game another try.  I enjoyed it so much that I played it through to completion without ever loading up a different game.  Usually I am easily distracted by another title in my library, but I enjoyed The Bourne Conspiracy so much that it was all I played until I finally finished it.

The hand-to-hand combat was some of the most brutal and visceral I had ever seen in a game.  And once I was immersed into the game itself I really enjoyed the implementation of the timed button-press sequences as they really gave you that feeling of playing as Jason Bourne, reacting to situations with seemingly super-human abilities.  And while some disliked how the game completed moves for you based on a single button-press, I thought it really added to the feel of being a trained agent but not really knowing what your capabilities are.  The button-presses allowed you to react, like Jason Bourne, and your "instincts" did the rest.

I thought it was a rather underrated game and I enjoyed it enough to play it through to completion, twice.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »

Thanks for the feedback on Table Tennis.

I just picked up Rockstar Table Tennis and Stuntman Ignition off of Half.com for $20 shipped for both.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:58:22 PM

So you ended up with this very minimal overlap of audiences who enjoyed both the gameplay and the visual presentation. 

Agreed.

This post would be a great place for a Venn Diagram.  Alas I don't have one ready.

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 04, 2009, 04:19:01 PM

I played it for a few hours guessing that it would amuse my two year old, which it did, but I don't see anything deep and complex. I mostly see boring. Maybe if I read gamefaqs on it, I could see the depth, but what I see is waiting around for animals to show up and then enabling and telling them to hook up.

I found Animal Crossing to be slightly more interesting but still boring after a few hours. VP certainly looked much prettier, but still I don't get the depth.

At first, it really is just a glorified screen-saver.  The depth comes from how you want to build your 'lil nature preserve, what sort of creatures it can support, and how those creatures interact with one another.  It gets pretty complicated once the game moves from small bugs and birds and up to bigger critters.  You literally can't 'catch 'em all' in one place, because some creatures won't like the terrain in the garden, will need certain types of food, will be scared of or eaten by other pinatas, etc.   It's almost like teraforming a tiny, delicious planet filled with bad candy-puns that you can dress up in silly hats. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 04, 2009, 05:00:49 PM

The hand-to-hand combat was some of the most brutal and visceral I had ever seen in a game.  

Dammit.

This thread is doing brutal, hand-to-hand to combat ... against my wallet.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on February 04, 2009, 05:02:19 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on February 04, 2009, 04:19:01 PM

At first, it really is just a glorified screen-saver.  The depth comes from how you want to build your 'lil nature preserve, what sort of creatures it can support, and how those creatures interact with one another.  It gets pretty complicated once the game moves from small bugs and birds and up to bigger critters.  You literally can't 'catch 'em all' in one place, because some creatures won't like the terrain in the garden, will need certain types of food, will be scared of or eaten by other pinatas, etc.   It's almost like teraforming a tiny, delicious planet filled with bad candy-puns that you can dress up in silly hats. 

I thought VP was quite fun, but the minutia of getting items X, Y, and Z in order to make animal A mate with animal B to create animal C and attract animal D got a bit overwhelming.  Plus the fact that I could never stop my damn animals from killing each other, and I spent every penny on stupid doctor bills.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:48:59 PM by Gratch » Logged

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on February 04, 2009, 04:55:35 PM

OH, I got one:

Test Drive Unlimited

I thought about adding this one to the list, and while I enjoyed it in the beginning, after playing games like Forza 2, TDU just felt too unrefined.  The graphics weren't quite as good, vehicle handling didn't really fit into any specific category (it wasn't really simulation, but it wasn't arcadey either, it just felt "off"), and after a while I just got bored.  I really wanted to like the game, and I did my best to travel around the island, but recently when I tried to go back to it I just couldn't play it anymore.  It had so much potential, but I'm not sure that the game lived up to what it could have been.     

I loved this game.  Maybe I'll grab it again and finally do that race ALL THE WAY AROUND the island...

In case you're interested...   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 04, 2009, 04:50:08 PM

Quote from: Vikki on February 04, 2009, 04:36:36 PM

Spectral Force 3

icon_eek

With all due respect, I could not possibly disagree more.  I did the GT review for that turd, and would strongly consider SF3 to be the worst game I have played in the last 10 years.  It jumped right on past what we normally consider "bad", and landed in the rarefied air of "spectacularly and utterly terrible".  I can't think of a single redeeming factor in SF3, and Atlus should have been embarrassed charging $60 for that pile of steaming shovelware crap.

Not that I have strong feelings on it or anything...  smile

I just read your review and I think you make valid points.

To your credit: You are one of the few reviewers that clearly put a fair amount time into the game.  I noticed at least 3 other reviewers made ridiculous comments like "Healers are unneeded, because your characters get more powerful as they take damage" 

We find agreement:
Graphically weak
Uneven Difficulty
Tutorial would have been nice
$60 price is way too high

We Disagree:
Gameplay:  After reading your review, I feel you were so put off by the production values that you were unable to objectively rate the gameplay on its own merits... which btw is what I found so compelling about the game.  SF3 is all about decisions:  Should I take grind missions to keep all of my mercenaries at a competitive level, or just create stable of 8 powerful goto characters.
How should I equip my team...should I create anti-magic characters who are better at slaying wizards and range foes... or just focus on modifying characters to load them out with plenty of AP and damaging Melee attacks. 
The crafting and item system allows for a lot of flexibility, I had one Samurai character loaded out with a skill enhancing item that let him move a second time after he attacked which fundamentally changed the way he played and gave me a first strike option in any battle. 
     The combat system is fun and gets more rewarding as you go.  Players need to make difficult decisions regarding whether they should use a an early level battle formation or hold off for a more powerful formation and risk losing the ability to do so if one of the characters die.  The maps themselves are nothing special but do allow for tactical decisions such as:  should I take the high ground, should I rotate fresh characters at a choke point or should attempt to hold a boost point and get my friendship gauge up.  Do not get me wrong SF3 is no Gladius, but I found it offered more interesting decisions before and during combat than the last Fire Emblem and FF Tactics that I played. 

You clearly played the game and I respect that, but for you to say that is the worst game of the last ten years, either indicates extreme hyperbole or you simply do not play many games.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:51:54 PM by Vikki » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2009, 07:31:40 PM »

Quote from: Vikki on February 04, 2009, 06:47:38 PM

We Disagree:
Gameplay:  After reading your review, I feel you were so put off by the production values that you were unable to objectively rate the gameplay on its own merits... which btw is what I found so compelling about the game. 

There's probably some truth to that.  I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but do expect at least some level of polish (hell, even a level of competency would have been nice) for a full-price game.  SF3's production values were so poor that they distracted from anything the game might have done right.

SF3 is all about decisions:  Should I take grind missions to keep all of my mercenaries at a competitive level, or just create stable of 8 powerful goto characters.
How should I equip my team...should I create anti-magic characters who are better at slaying wizards and range foes... or just focus on modifying characters to load them out with plenty of AP and damaging Melee attacks. 
The crafting and item system allows for a lot of flexibility, I had one Samurai character loaded out with a skill enhancing item that let him move a second time after he attacked which fundamentally changed the way he played and gave me a first strike option in any battle. 

I guess we differ in that I didn't view these sort of decisions as any different than nearly every other SRPG on the market.

The combat system is fun and gets more rewarding as you go.  Players need to make difficult decisions regarding whether they should use a an early level battle formation or hold off for a more powerful formation and risk losing the ability to do so if one of the characters die.  The maps themselves are nothing special but do allow for tactical decisions such as:  should I take the high ground, should I rotate fresh characters at a choke point or should attempt to hold a boost point and get my friendship gauge up.   

We obviously saw very different things here.  I thought most of the maps were very poorly laid out, especially when you add in the AI that would simply stand around until you managed to hit a specific tile.  It completely eliminated the need for tactics, and boiled down to "avoid this tile until you clear out all the enemies over there".  Not exactly my idea of strong tactical gameplay.  smile

Do not get me wrong SF3 is no Gladius, but I found it offered more interesting decisions before and during combat than the last Fire Emblem and FF Tactics that I played.  You clearly played the game and I respect that, but for you to say that is the worst game of the last ten years, either indicates extreme hyperbole or you simply do not play many games.

I'll stand by my assessment, but will admit that we probably just have different tastes.  I'm also likely a harsher judge of SRPG's, simply because they are a favored genre and I have a much better frame of reference than I would about, say, a shooter or sports game.  I play damn near every SRPG that gets released (I'm currently nearing the 100 hour mark with FF Tactics Advance 2 and am still completely enthralled by it), and SF3 just somehow managed to combine nearly every "feature" I dislike about individual SRPG's into one concise package:  embarrassingly poor production, wildly uneven difficulty, excessive grinding, a completely vapid story, uninteresting world and/or characters, awful enemy AI, and (to me) a generic and uninteresting combat system.

However, I am glad to hear that someone liked it.  I'm generally a fan of Atlus' niche games (although I've become more wary after a recent string of particularly bad releases), and would hate to see them stop porting over some of the more unique titles that we wouldn't see otherwise.  smile
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:33:13 PM by Gratch » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 04, 2009, 05:28:53 PM

I thought about adding this one to the list, and while I enjoyed it in the beginning, after playing games like Forza 2, TDU just felt too unrefined.  The graphics weren't quite as good, vehicle handling didn't really fit into any specific category (it wasn't really simulation, but it wasn't arcadey either, it just felt "off"), and after a while I just got bored.  I really wanted to like the game, and I did my best to travel around the island, but recently when I tried to go back to it I just couldn't play it anymore.  It had so much potential, but I'm not sure that the game lived up to what it could have been.

Yeah, I wasn't wild about how it actually handled driving the vehicles, as well.  After forcing myself to play it, it did sort of "click."  But you're right, it wasn't arcade-y enough to be a fun arcade romp and it wasn't simulation enough to brand it as "real driving."

But with that said, it's probably the only racing game that I go into the "cockpit" view and keep it there.

Quote from: PeteRock on February 04, 2009, 05:28:53 PM

I saw that, and thought about it initially, but I can get it at GameStop used for 7 bucks cheaper - sorry!  icon_redface

TheMissingLink on PSN
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2009, 08:11:48 PM »

OH, I got one:

Test Drive Unlimited

This may be the only time I have ever agreed with TML on a game. I even did the race all the way around the island. I quit after grinding the, drive on every single inch of road achievement for a while. I never should have tried it. Now I'm thinking about rebuying.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on February 04, 2009, 08:11:48 PM

OH, I got one:

Test Drive Unlimited

This may be the only time I have ever agreed with TML on a game. I even did the race all the way around the island. I quit after grinding the, drive on every single inch of road achievement for a while. I never should have tried it. Now I'm thinking about rebuying.

Hey now, we played UT2k4 together, didn't we?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

How long did it take to get all the way around the island? I've had this on my "buy one day" list for a while now.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:55:20 PM

It does bring up an interesting point though- while I don't think the "current generation" JRPGs have been nearly up to the standards of last gen, I think the JRPG reviewing system for most sites is fundamentally broken.  With a couple of very rare exceptions, if it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title then it gets a review between 6-8.  But there is very little distinction nor consistency  in that range so it makes mainstream JRPG review sites absolutely useless for a  JRPG fan to use.  So word of mouth becomes a more useful tool but there is a bit of a catch- since the games didn't review well, relatively few people are willing to act as the guinea pig and test the waters.  

Tales of Vesperia, which has excellent forum word of mouth from JRPG fans, has an overall metacritic score of 81.  Meanwhile, Blue Dragon, whose word of mouth is relatively poor, has a metacritic score a mere two points lower of 79 (along with Eternal Sonata which also had very mixed reception).  Lost Odyssey, which garnered generally more positive reception than any current gen RPG than Vesperia, is actually even lower at 78.  

I've noticed this as well.  I'm guessing that a lot of RPG reviews are written by people who aren't fans of them.  They play the game for a few hours, and if there aren't any glaring problems, they slap a 7 or 8 score on it.  They know FF games are popular, so they assume they must be good and give them higher scores.  Although the FF games certainly deserve the high scores they get, there have been plenty of other RPGs that deserved much higher scores than they received.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2009, 09:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on February 04, 2009, 08:16:22 PM

How long did it take to get all the way around the island? I've had this on my "buy one day" list for a while now.

I don't remember exactly now, but I think it was close to an hour or maybe even a bit over an hour in a stupid fast car.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 04, 2009, 09:11:48 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 04, 2009, 03:55:20 PM

I've noticed this as well.  I'm guessing that a lot of RPG reviews are written by people who aren't fans of them.  They play the game for a few hours, and if there aren't any glaring problems, they slap a 7 or 8 score on it.  They know FF games are popular, so they assume they must be good and give them higher scores.  Although the FF games certainly deserve the high scores they get, there have been plenty of other RPGs that deserved much higher scores than they received.

Completely agree with both Eddie and Kevin.  Let's be honest - if you do them right, RPG's are tough reviews.   They require a ton of time, they can be extremely difficult (especially without the benefit of a strategy guide or FAQ), they're typically more plot intensive than other genres, and many of them start off extremely slow.  I highly doubt most reviewers put a significant amount of time into them, especially when they can crank out reviews for 2-3 FPS or action titles in the time it takes to do 1 RPG review.   I take every RPG review with a massive truckload of salt, and mostly gravitate towards overall word of mouth instead.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on February 04, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 04, 2009, 05:00:49 PM

The hand-to-hand combat was some of the most brutal and visceral I had ever seen in a game.  

Dammit.

This thread is doing brutal, hand-to-hand to combat ... against my wallet.

Bourne Conspiracy was fun for the first few levels, after that, it's very repetitive, and on rails.  Rent it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: