http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most recent game music that can get stuck in your head?  (Read 1365 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:27:25 PM »

I've been listening to a bunch of the ocremix.org songs lately via the ormgas stream, and right now I've got the overland music from the SNES Legend of Zelda stuck in my head.  Bubbleman from Megaman 2 is so catchy I've even gotten it stuck in my fiancee's head for days at a time.

I'm trying to think what the most recent game song is that can get stuck in your head in the same way, and I'm drawing a blank.  I don't think it's for lack of good music; there've been a lot of good game soundtracks in recent years.  I think the latest music is either too atmospheric or nondescript background music (Diablo and Starcraft come to mind: great music but not too hummable), or simply not repeated enough to drill into your head like the Zelda or Megaman music hear on repeat for hours on end.

Real world songs are disqualified: Ink Spots in Fallout, Guitar Hero music, "Somewhere, beyond the sea" in Bioshock and the like.  It only counts if the song was written for the game.

The most recent game I can think of is possibly Lumines--were any of those songs written just for the game?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »

I cannot recall the last time I got game music stuck in my head.  It's always real world music that's the most memorable.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »

I have Bloody Tears from Castlevania locked into my brain.  (it's the overworld music for Castlevania 2)  I use it as my ring tone for my phone.  Yea..I'm "That guy".

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »

"If I Didn't Care" featured in the beginning of Bioshock. The song was also used in "Shawshank Redemption", I believe when Andy was sitting in the car with the gun.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:58:41 PM »

Quote from: tiktokman on August 16, 2007, 03:55:33 PM

"If I Didn't Care" featured in the beginning of Bioshock. The song was also used in "Shawshank Redemption", I believe when Andy was sitting in the car with the gun.

I love the Ink Spots, but they're disqualified.  icon_twisted  Looking for original compositions.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »

The tetris song has been in my head for weeks. It's driving me batshitloco.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »

I was listening to the Xenosaga III and Final Fantasy XII soundtracks this morning.  They make great background music in the office.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 04:22:35 PM

I was listening to the Xenosaga III and Final Fantasy XII soundtracks this morning.  They make great background music in the office.

XS3 is the rare soundtrack that I'll listen to in the car.  Hell, it's the rare music that I listen to in the car since I mainly listen to podcasts.  Probably my favorite game soundtrack of recent years.  FF12's score is superb as well but I prefer it in the context of the game itself than on it's own. 
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:40 PM »

The music from Mario Strikers. It's very catchy.....  nod
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 16, 2007, 03:58:41 PM

Quote from: tiktokman on August 16, 2007, 03:55:33 PM

I love the Ink Spots, but they're disqualified.  icon_twisted  Looking for original compositions.

Heh....it would have helped if I'd have actually read your entire post.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »

the demo for beautiful katamari set off a revival of the km1 overworld music piece.  hopefully they get a good set of music for the new one too.

older stuff that i liked and played a lot were the mechwarrior 2 mercs music, the ost to red faction, freespace 1 and 2, freedom fighters, the twinsen games, and outcast.  the theme for morrowind also stuck in my head for a long time. 

i could go on.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 05:07:59 PM »

Ooh, Katamari Damacy, good catch.  That one song can really get itself wedged into your brain.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »

game music that catches in my head most easily: the battle theme from whichever rpg i'm playing (latest being brave story), with the good news being that, by'n'large, & even if the rest of the music ain't that great, the battle themes of most rpgs are usually okay...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 16, 2007, 04:25:09 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 04:22:35 PM

XS3 is the rare soundtrack that I'll listen to in the car.  Hell, it's the rare music that I listen to in the car since I mainly listen to podcasts.  Probably my favorite game soundtrack of recent years.  FF12's score is superb as well but I prefer it in the context of the game itself than on it's own. 

All the Xenosaga soundtracks are pretty amazing.  I'm partial to the first because it was composed by Yasounori Mitsuda and performed by the London Symhony.  There are some amazing tracks on there.

I think I'll make it an all-game-music day today.  I've got the soundtracks for Tenchu, Beyond Good & Evil, Enihander, Final Fantasy IX Piano Collections, and Vagrant Story all lined up  smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 16, 2007, 05:23:50 PM

Final Fantasy IX Piano Collections

Great stuff, probably my favorite album of all the FF Pianos I've heard.  I even bought the sheet music for it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 06:14:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 16, 2007, 04:11:10 PM

The tetris song has been in my head for weeks. It's driving me batshitloco.

just replace it with the Super Mario Bros. theme music.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »

Don't ever let the main theme song from Loco Roco get stuck in your head. You'll go crazy, I guarantee it. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 06:57:02 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 16, 2007, 03:50:14 PM

I have Bloody Tears from Castlevania locked into my brain.  (it's the overworld music for Castlevania 2)  I use it as my ring tone for my phone.  Yea..I'm "That guy".

my ring tone is 'Nails of Lukifell' from the original NES Ninja Gaiden (act 5, stage 3)...guess that makes me one of 'those guys' too ninja2

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 04:01:43 AM »

Really game music so very rarely sticks with me for some reason, but I do remember FF12s being standout. Would like to dl it-is it free online anywhere?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:19 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 17, 2007, 04:01:43 AM

Really game music so very rarely sticks with me for some reason, but I do remember FF12s being standout. Would like to dl it-is it free online anywhere?

No, but you can buy it.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »

I've been watching that Halo 3 announcement trailer a lot as of late and the music from Halo is stuck in my head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: